Mexican L.A.: How large can it get?

While doing research for a future TL of mine, I was reminded of a "What If?" scenario posted on here sometime ago, about a Mexican California that stretches up to the 35th parallel.....and this got me thinking:

L.A. is already a massive metropolis IOTL; 3.8 million people as of the 2000 census, or roughly half the size of New York. But here's the thing: Mexico City, IOTL, has 9 million people, with about the same amount of water resources. Could the city of L.A. plausibly reach a size more like that of New York or Mexico City under Mexican administration?

Unlikely, if anything considering general lack of immigration to Mexico, its political instability, the corruption of Mexican government, and the developments of most of northern Mexico, Los Angeles probably doesn't grow until well into the 20th Century and even that probably has 2-3 million tops (including metropolitan area).

It should be noted Mexico City unlike Los Angeles was a major city from Aztec days.

Isn't this a question of water resources? LA won't grow without damns and imported water. It's a desert, California will be better off without it.

Isn't this a question of water resources? LA won't grow without damns and imported water. It's a desert, California will be better off without it.

Yes, I would think so too. But then again, Mexico City, despite sitting on a lakebed, doesn't have much in the way of immediately accessible water resources, either, as far as I know.

Faeelin

Banned

Yes, that stupid city, just sitting there and producing goods and services.

While doing research for a future TL of mine, I was reminded of a "What If?" scenario posted on here sometime ago, about a Mexican California that stretches up to the 35th parallel.....and this got me thinking:

L.A. is already a massive metropolis IOTL; 3.8 million people as of the 2000 census, or roughly half the size of New York. But here's the thing: Mexico City, IOTL, has 9 million people, with about the same amount of water resources. Could the city of L.A. plausibly reach a size more like that of New York or Mexico City under Mexican administration?

I think that might be from using city limits, and I'm guessing Mexico City has more generous limits. A more accurrate count would be 19 million for Mexico City and 12 million for LA. (18 million for New York too.)

Of course, as said elsewhere, Mexico City is a pretty old place, and had a lot of people for a long time. Plus it's highly centralised as a country.