Merrily We Roll Along: A Post-1969 History of Looney Tunes

@Otakuninja2006 @Kalvan If I'm correct on Kalvan's thinking, Toei partnering with WB means that Sunbow couldn't use Toei for their animation work. Since Sunbow was the main source of the shows made from Hasbro's toys, then their absence would be a major butterflying.

Sunbow Productions was founded because of the success of the animated commercials for the renewed G.I. Joe toyline. Maybe Griffin-Bacal Advertising finds a different studio to do the work, but it still won't be the exact same as our timeline.
Actually, what I mean is that with Getter Robo already on this side of the pond in a way that isn't part of the Marvel Universe (with Tony Stark injected into the place of Professor Saotome), the other Late Seventies Marvel Anime, uh, "Acquisitions," either don't happen, or else happen with different anime properties. Thus, no Starvengers and therefore Ronin Warriors and ROM the Space Knight (Based on the original Tekkaman) won't happen either.

Without at least some previous partnership with Toei in TTL, the OTL partnerships between Marvel, Hasbro, Takara, and Toei become vanishingly unlikely, and the Eighties Revival of GI-Joe becomes/stays "Fury Force vs. HYDRA," which would have salutary effects on the property not being Exiled From Continuity with the 616 Marvel Universe. This means that Transformers Generation One either precluded, or else altered beyond recognition if the only constants are the source Diaclone and Microchange toylines shared by the two toy companies.

You know what? Jay Ward getting into anime is a cool idea!

Thank you.
Maybe the combined Combattler/Voltes V series could be called "V-Bot"?

And it jumpstarting the Mecha explosion? Nice.

If you want, I can PM you the details of my idea involving the properties. I specifically chose those particular shows because the art style (at least for the people) showed a bit of resemblance to Jay Ward's house style, at least when you look at Rocky and Bullwinkle or George of the Jungle.

And what exactly IS that idea of "cutting edge prototype on the eve of war in space" @Kalvan?

Why, none other than the original Mobile Suit Gundam!

Last edited:
Gundam with goddamn Rocky and Bullwinkle type dialogue. Count me out, unfortunately.

Also, sorry for being so, so behind on this. College and procrastination, and soon Thanksgiving with the family. I'll try to do the 1975 part 2 when I can.

Gundam with goddamn Rocky and Bullwinkle type dialogue. Count me out, unfortunately.
If I ever wanted that, I would have defended 4Kids Entertainment. As it stands here and now? No thank you.
Also, sorry for being so, so behind on this. College and procrastination, and soon Thanksgiving with the family. I'll try to do the 1975 part 2 when I can.
That's okay. I'm just glad I didn't miss much of anything over the past week.

After the failure of Bugs Bunny in King Arthur's Court, Warner Brothers could take over production of the Looney Tunes specials from Chuck Jones.

Disney make a new short series staring Mickey Mouse done in the style of his 20s and 30s cartoons for his 50th anniversary in 1978.

Some ideas I have for future installments in the Family Classics series (which the 1973 animated version of Treasure Island and 1974 animated version of Oliver Twist are part of):
  • The Three Musketeers
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Robinson Crusoe or The Swiss Family Robinson
  • Tom Sawyer
  • Huckleberry Finn
  • Around the World in 80 Days

Oh hey, I actually found an animation-focused timeline that isn't a hundred fucking pages long (or even longer)? And it's about Looney Tunes to boot?

I'll take a closer look into this one later, but I am fairly intrigued by the concept. Fortunately this seems different enough from the one I'm working on that I don't think I'll end up accidentally stealing any ideas, which is a good thing because I'd rather not have the mods on my ass for that.

After the failure of Bugs Bunny in King Arthur's Court, Warner Brothers could take over production of the Looney Tunes specials from Chuck Jones.

Disney make a new short series staring Mickey Mouse done in the style of his 20s and 30s cartoons for his 50th anniversary in 1978.

Some ideas I have for future installments in the Family Classics series (which the 1973 animated version of Treasure Island and 1974 animated version of Oliver Twist are part of):
  • The Three Musketeers
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • Robinson Crusoe or The Swiss Family Robinson
  • Tom Sawyer
  • Huckleberry Finn
  • Around the World in 80 Days
Interesting ideas
Oh hey, I actually found an animation-focused timeline that isn't a hundred fucking pages long (or even longer)? And it's about Looney Tunes to boot?

I'll take a closer look into this one later, but I am fairly intrigued by the concept. Fortunately this seems different enough from the one I'm working on that I don't think I'll end up accidentally stealing any ideas, which is a good thing because I'd rather not have the mods on my ass for that.
Well, this is almost a quarter of a hundred pages…

Ooh, you’re working on one yourself? And a similar concept? Color me intrigued

Welcome aboard, my liege. And have a happy Thanksgiving!

Yep!

Hey, what idea did you have?

And what other animation-focused TL's have you found because I want ideas and to find more?

Alright, so after giving this a quick look-over I think I do like the concept so far. The Jones fixation does get a little old but that's my only major hang-up right now. I do have a couple ideas for the future if you're interested-don't worry, I'm not going to hijack the thread like that other guy. Both of these are about the shorts, for the record.

First off, let's go with the more reasonable one. You've put Crazylegs Crane into shorts so you may as well throw in Misterjaw as well. Misterjaw was one of two series created for The Pink Panther Show in our world, and the other one was Crazylegs, so Misterjaw going theatrical is only logical. Nice, clean, and simple.

Second is the one that's more influenced by my own personal bias. I know that's probably a bad way to start this off but bear with me for a second on this one. You said that people really don't like the theatrical shorts being formulaic here, and Chilly Willy and Casper are the big victims. Now for the former I can't really help you there, but on the latter this could by solved by the addition of a new character, perhaps. And since Richie is already here that means they could go for another original character from the comics. And when you take into account that the female cartoon characters are getting more focus now...

769275.jpg

...I think the odds are pretty good we see her show up here sometime soon.

(As for my own thread-if you're morbidly curious I'll send a link through a private message, but I should warn you beforehand that it's really sloppy, especially early on. Mine starts off a LOT earlier than yours does, and virtually every classic animation studio is impacted-ironically, WB is probably the one that changed the least compared to our world in mine, while yours is focusing on them specifically.)

• Yeah, Jones is the main antagonist for now. Mainly cause I kinda hate him…
  • Misterjaw is already planned to be one of the new Merrie Melodies.
  • Wendy is almost definitely gonna appear in the new Casper shorts.

• Yeah, Jones is the main antagonist for now. Mainly cause I kinda hate him…
  • Misterjaw is already planned to be one of the new Merrie Melodies.
  • Wendy is almost definitely gonna appear in the new Casper shorts.
Why do you hate Chuck Jones he was my favorite Looney Tunes director.
Also if you need a villain Friz Freeling is right there being a belligerent racist having directed most of the censored eleven and twelve missing hares.

Go back and you can find… a LOT of the reasons I don’t like him. Also, in the 1940s, pretty much everyone was racist.
I know but I will say Freeling was especially racist for his time and there is an argument to be made Bob Clampett never was.

Last edited: