Chapter 5: Texas

One of Francisco Cea Bermúdez’ Government’s new measures was to allow American Southerners to settle in Texas, in an attempt to develop New Spain’s economy. Thousands of Americans moved to the arid region of Texas from 1820 to 1836, bringing their slaves with them.

Spain had banned the Slave Trade in 1820, and in 1830, banned slavery, but allowed the American settlers to preserve their slaves. This, however, changed in 1835. The Duke of Cádiz, Regent of Spain, banned American settlers from having slaves. The American settlers were outraged.

By August 1835, the Texan Rebellion starts. On the first weeks, the Texans took the territories near the border the USA. Spanish-American Border. After they had secured a border with the US, the Texans started gaining financial aid from them. The Spanish Army, led by General Agustín de Iturbide, struggled to mobilize within the first months of the Texan Rebellion. This helped the rebels, that were able to quickly seize territory.

The first major battle came on November 14th 1835, when the Texans, led by Stephen Austin sieged the city of San Antonio de Béjar. During the winter, the war went on a stalemate, but by late February 1836, the Spanish recklessly attacked the Alamo, starting the March Offensive. The Battle Alamo was followed by other Spanish Victories, like Refugio & Corpus Christi.

The United States, worried about the Spanish advance, sent reinforcements to Texas. With moral support and fresh troops, the Texans achieved a decisive victory in April 21st 1836, in the Battle of San Jacinto, even killing the Spanish General Agustín de Iturbide. After Iturbide’s death, the Spanish Army was in chaos and retreated back.

Texas was now independent, and claimed the areas east of the Río Grande, though the young Texan nation was not recognized neither by Spain or other major powers, like Britain and France. A talented criollo Spanish officer, Antonio López de Santa Anna, took the deceased Iturbide’s place as General and Commander of the Royal Army of New Spain. Juan de O’Donojú, Viceroy of New Spain, resigned shortly after the Texan victory, and was replaced by Miguel de Tacón y Rosique, Governor of Cuba.

Shortly after achieving their independence, Texas wanted to join the United States. The American Congress rejected Texas’ proposal several times between 1836 & 1844. In December 1845, James K. Polk, President of the United States, accepted Texas’ request to join the Unite States and in June 1846 made an agreement with Great Britain, dividing the Oregon Country, before going to war with Spain.

You see, the next chapter is going to cover the war between Spain & the US.
This is only the beginning, but tell me, are you liking it, or nah? :):):)

Last edited:
Rest in peace, Iturbide, Emperor who never was... Hopefully Santa Anna won't be in charge for too long now.

After losing so much of its empire, Spain is going to want to try and save face and regain some prestige. Losing to an upstart like the United States is not going to be good for that goal, so I expect Spain to be fighting over Texas tooth and nail. Maybe they'll cut a deal with the Comanche, Apache and others against the Americans.

Rest in peace, Iturbide, Emperor who never was... Hopefully Santa Anna won't be in charge for too long now.

After losing so much of its empire, Spain is going to want to try and save face and regain some prestige. Losing to an upstart like the United States is not going to be good for that goal, so I expect Spain to be fighting over Texas tooth and nail. Maybe they'll cut a deal with the Comanche, Apache and others against the Americans.

ITTL, Santa Anna is just the Commander of the Royal Army in New Spain, so he won't be able to do a mess in New Spain.

Chapter 6: The Spanish-American War:

After the Annexation of Texas by the United States, many skirmishes began no the border regions. As the number of skirmishes grew, and the death count rose up, both sides began to mobilize their troops. The war officially began March 10th 1846, after American Forces, led by General Zachary Taylor, attacked and raided the Nueces Strip. Thus provoked the Declaration of War from Spain.

The Royal Army of New Spain, led by Antonio López de Santa Anna, was smaller than the United States’ Army, so the Americans had a numerical superiority for the first months of the war, and so, they were able to gain control over the Nueces Strip. Santa Fé de Nuevo México and most of California.

By August 1846, the first reinforcements from the Peninsula and the Spanish Peru, led by Spanish General Gerónimo Valdés. Valdés' army headed towards California, to defend it from the American Army. The first Spanish victory came in September 1846, after Spanish troops led by Santa Anna defeated the Americans at the First Siege of Los Ángeles. In the months after the Siege of Los Angeles, the Spanish recaptured Santa Bárbara, Fresno, San José and even San Francisco.
jeronimo-valdes.jpg
180px-Antonio_L%C3%B3pez_de_Santa_Anna.jpg

Spanish Generals Gerónimo Valdés (left) and Antonio López de Santa Anna (right).

In response, the Americans launched an attack on Cuba by January 1847. The United States’ army seized the island 2 weeks later, and immediately prepared and attack against Yucatán. The Americans captured Yucatán with local support, but were surprised when they tried to take Veracruz. The United States’ Navy attacked Veracruz the 22nd of May 1847. The Americans were unable to capture Veracruz, as the Spanish, under Gerónimo Valdés, had put mines on the Harbor of Veracruz. As result, part of the American Fleet was destroyed.

After the Battle of Veracruz, the war entered a stalemate phase. Minor battles were still being ought, but neither side seemed to be winning. This phase would last until 1848, the Year of Revolutions. This revolutions affected mainland Spain, a nation on the edge of collapse due to the Duke of Cádiz’s policies, an economic crisis & the war against USA.

The 1st of March 1848, the liberals, led by the member of the Cortes Generales Ramón María Narváez, and the General Baldomero Espartero, assaulted the Royal Palace, forcing the Duke of Cádiz to flee the country and the king Ferdinand VIII to accept the Constitution of 1812. Ferdinand VIII accepted the Constitution the 2nd March 1812, and María Narváez was named Prime Minister. Following the turmoil on mainland Spain, the United States made a final offensive, reaching San Francisco and capturing Cuba, before an armistice was made the 13th of June 1848, marking the end to two years of bloodshed.
245px-Antonio_de_Orleans%2C_duque_de_Montpensier_%281824-1890%29.jpg
NAR.png

King Ferdinand VIII of Spain (left) & Prime Minister Ramón María Narváez (right)

January 1st 1849, the Treaty of San Francisco was signed, by General Wringfield Scott (representing the United States) & General Joaquín Baldomero Espartero (representing Spain), finally ending the Spanish-American War. The main points of the Treaty were:

1. Peace is declared between the United States of America and the Kingdom of Spain.

2. The United States of America and the Kingdom of Spain are going to resume diplomatic relationships.

3. Spain must recognize Texas as part of the United States.

4. Spain must cede all lands claimed once by the Republic of Texas to the United States.

5. The United States will gain the area of the Bay of San Francisco, and have the right to establish a fleet there.

6. All American troops will be withdrawn from Spanish Territory.

7. All Spanish troops will withdraw from American Territory.

8. All war prisoners will be given back to their respective nations.

9. The United States must pay Spain 10 million dollars for all damage made to Spanish lands.

10. The United States must pay 15 million dollars in compensation for the land gained.

6985.jpg

Map of North America 1849, after the Treaty of San Francisco
The purple and green territories belong to Spain. The yellow ones to the US, and the grey ones to Great Britain.

Next chapter is going to be about the changes in Spain after 1848.

Good update, interesting to see the USA willing to give up on Cuba. How large is their enclave around San Francisco, and how long can they hold it without the rest of California?

Good update, interesting to see the USA willing to give up on Cuba. How large is their enclave around San Francisco, and how long can they hold it without the rest of California?

The enclave will be a circumference, with a radius of 50 miles, so they can have full control over the Bay. The US will use the San Francisco Bay Area mainly as a base for their Pacific Fleet and a trade outpost. Maybe we see the US buying Northern California, Nevada and Utah so it can connect San Francisco with the rest of the US or Cuba to control the Gulf of Mexico (in a Gadsden purchase-style).

The enclave will be a circumference, with a radius of 50 miles, so they can have full control over the Bay. The US will use the San Francisco Bay Area mainly as a base for their Pacific Fleet and a trade outpost. Maybe we see the US buying Northern California, Nevada and Utah so it can connect San Francisco with the rest of the US or Cuba to control the Gulf of Mexico (in a Gadsden purchase-style).

Oh please let them buy it, that border on the left looks atrocious.

I feel like this is losing support. Some people that gave likes replied to me don't do that anymore. Am I right or wrong? 'Cause I want to know if you are liking it.

Really great I wonder how this will change the culture of Mexico spain and Amarica because the amaricans in otl wanted a clear route to the pacific heck some weren't even satisfied with what they took from Mexico after the Mexican amarican war and Mexico and Spain well that's still interesting how this would change there cultures

Yeah, it still is, but I had to use an internet map since I don't know how to edit maps. If anyone could recommend me how to edit maps, I would thank him/her.

There are a number of quality maps on the blank map thread, as well as on the wiki here. I personally like to use modified Victoria II maps which I have posted up here. All the different maps should be editable with MS Paint (if you have windows) as well as GIMP (a free image editing program), so it doesn't really matter which ones you choose, just base it on your personal preferences.

There is also a large thread for tutorials and map advice, with links to various resources, which are really useful.

Shit shit shit! I realized the first PoD of my TL (Ferdinand VII having an heir) isn't very realistic or plausible, and in the long run it could be difficult to me to think about their fictional heirs.

Should I continue with both PoDs or rewrite some of my TL, to make it even more realistic?

You have committed gross lepidopteracide. The POD is twenty five years earlier, and Santa Ana is not in charge. How can you have the Alamo and San Jacinto go the same as )TL?

Shit shit shit! I realized the first PoD of my TL (Ferdinand VII having an heir) isn't very realistic or plausible, and in the long run it could be difficult to me to think about their fictional heirs.

Should I continue with both PoDs or rewrite some of my TL, to make it even more realistic?

Since it's the genetics of the father which determine the sex of the child (I believe, at least), part of the POD would simply be Ferdinand having slightly different genes in those regards, which wouldn't affect anything else about him or his upbringing or following events. In the long run, you would still have to come up with fictional heirs as butterflies start to pile up, regardless of whether Ferdinand has male or female children, so it's up to your personal preference, really.

You have committed gross lepidopteracide. The POD is twenty five years earlier, and Santa Ana is not in charge. How can you have the Alamo and San Jacinto go the same as )TL?

That's why I need the Carlist War happening in Spain. A civil war in Spain could help the texans.

Should I rewrite this TL, in part to correct this?

Should I rewrite this TL, in part to correct this?

I don't think it's any stretch that the Spanish could have still lost in both those areas, even without Santa Anna in charge. Even with reforms in New Spain, the United States would still be in a strong position here.