Introduction:

This is my first AH timeline. It will be centered about my nation, Spain, specifically about the 20th Century, which in OTL, was a turbulent time for Spain, marked by internal wars between liberals and conservatives, and the loss of Spain’s colonies in America and the Pacific; that ultimately lead to the 2nd Spanish Republic, the Spanish Civil War and Francisco Franco’s 40 year long dictatorship.

This timeline consists of two PoD.

Point of Divergence 1:

In OTL, the 26th of December of 1818, María Isabel de Braganza, Queen of Spain, and second wife of Ferdinand VII of Spain, died in the Palace of Aranjuez while giving birth to a large, stillborn daughter and was buried at the Escorial, having failed to provide her husband with an heir to the throne.

What if, María Isabel de Braganza and her daughter had lived, and had María Isabel de Braganza lived long enough to bear Fernando VII a child, avoiding Ferdinand VII’s succession problem and the Carlist Wars?

Point of Divergence 2:

In OTL, in January 1820, soldiers assembled at Cadiz for an expedition to South America, angry over infrequent pay, bad food and poor quarters, mutinied under the leadership of Colonel Rafael del Riego. Pledging fealty to the 1812 Constitution, they seized their commander. The rebel forces would march on Madrid, storm the King’s castle and install a liberal regime, known as the Trinerio Liberal.

What if, Colonel Rafael del Riego didn’t mutiny, and his forces headed to America, joining Agustín de Iturbide (in OTL, he stayed loyal to the Spanish Crown until 1820-1821), and manage to keep some of Spain’s territories in mainland America, and therefore challenging the USA's 19th Century Westward expansion?

I have a draft of the first four chapters, so if you want me to start uploading the first chapters, just tell me. I would appreciate some recomendations about this timeline, specially regarding the US.

Introduction:

This is my first AH timeline. It will be centered about my nation, Spain, specifically about the 20th Century, which in OTL, was a turbulent time for Spain, marked by internal wars between liberals and conservatives, and the loss of Spain’s colonies in America and the Pacific; that ultimately lead to the 2nd Spanish Republic, the Spanish Civil War and Francisco Franco’s 40 year long dictatorship.

I have a draft of the first four chapters, so if you want me to start uploading the first chapters, just tell me. I would appreciate some recomendations about this timeline, specially regarding the US.
Interrzsting It may even help the Bourbon stay in power in France as the whole sons of st-louis things hurted the dynasty.

Here it begins :)

Chapter 1: The King’s children:

On the night of the 26th December 1818, Maria Isabel of Braganza, Queen of Spain and second wife to his uncle, the King Ferdinand VII of Spain, gave birth to a girl, in the Palace of Aranjuez. The girl would be named Maria Luisa Isabel of Bourbon, and would become Infanta of Spain.

A year before, Maria Isabel had given birth to another daughter, but unfortunately, she had died some months later. But the King & Queen’s second daughter seemed rather healthier.

The birth of the Infanta would bring joy to the Spanish Court and also the the population. But less than two months later, Ferdinand VII would suffer a great loss. His mother, Maria Luisa of Bourbon-Parma, died the 2nd January 1819, and just eighteen days after, the 20th January 1819, Ferdinand’s father, the former king Charles IV of Spain, died. This two losses stroke Fernando hard.

Two years later, Maria Isabel of Braganza gave birth, but this time, it was a boy. His son would be born the 28th February 1821. The boy, named Ferdinand of Bourbon, after his father, King Ferdinand VII of Spain, received the title of Prince of Asturias, given to the oldest or only male child of the King of Spain, and became the first in the line of succession of his father.

Like her sister Maria Isabel Luisa, Prince Ferdinand turned out to have a great health, and extended the joy in the Spanish Court.

The 13th May 1824, María Isabel of Braganza would have her two last children. Two twins, a boy and a girl, named Félix Santiago and Maria Theresa of Bourbon. With two boys and two girls, it looked like King Ferdinand’s line of succession was secured.

The next post will be about the Latin American Revolutions

Also I'm looking for a new name for this timeline. Any ideas? I thought maybe And the Sun never set (making reference to the sentence The Sun never sets on the Spanish Empire, which later was adopted by the British). Please tell me.

Something like May the Sun Never Set or along those lines sounds good to me. Starting it with 'and' might make it a bit awkward sounding.

I think this is going to be quite good, especially with Iturbide remaining loyal. If I remember correctly, he was one of the most important elements to Mexican independence. It'll be really fascinating to see where this goes.

I tried to post earlier today, but AH.com was down. BTW, I need help regarding the US and the angloamerican settlers on Texas. I don't know what to do about that.

Chapter 2: De Riego’s Expeditionary Force:

The King Ferdinand VII of Spain had given the Count of Calderón the responsibility organizing an expeditionary army to America. The Count of Calderón chose Colonel Rafael de Riego as the commander of the Expeditionary Army. The Expeditionary Army sailed from Cádiz, located in southern Spain, the 1st January 1820. It arrived at the Port of Veracruz two weeks later.

The forces led by Rafael Del Riego quickly managed their way to Mexico City. They met with Viceroy Apodaca and criollo General Agustín de Iturbide. Iturbide and De Riego joined their forces, and started a campaign against the rebel forces. Iturbide and De Riego soon achieved major victories, and the 6th December Iturbide was appointed Supreme Commander of the Royalist Armies. Guadalupe Victoria, oneof the leaders of the Mexican Insurgency, was captured late June 1821, and Vicente Guerrero, main leader of the Mexican Insurgency, was captured the 3th March 1822, after Guerrero's forces were defeated at the Battle of Cordoba. The capture of Guerrero marked the end of the Mexican Insurgency.

After beating the rebel forces in New Spain, General Iturbide and Colonel De Riego went to Peru, the last royalist bastion in South America, and left Colonel Carlos Moya in charge of New Spain. The royalist victory at New Spain and the arrival of more troops had given the royalist army at Peru great moral support. The Royalist Army now faced the armies of Gran Colombia and the United Provinces of Río de La Plata. The week after the arrival of Iturbide and De Riego, José de La Serna, Viceroy of Peru issued a decree commanding all royalist troops in South America to assemble and retreat at Peru.

Colonel De Riego was injured on battle by late 1822, and sailed back to Spain. At his return at Spain, he was awarded many honors, and named General of the Army by the king Ferdinand VII, impressed by his military success, though De Riego was a liberal.

Without De Riego, Iturbide gained complete control of the Royalist Army, but successfully managed to beat the rebel forces at Peru, led by Simón Bolívar, José de San Martín and Antonio José de Sucre. The Peruvian Liberation Army capitulated and disolved itself after the Battle of Ayacucho, the 9th December 1824. At the end, Spain managed to retain Peru and the Province of Charcas, or Lower Peru.

The Republic of Great Colombia, Chile, the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata, the Republic of Uruguay and the Kingdom of Spain signed a treaty in 1826, thus ending the Latin American wars of Independence. The United Kingdom, the United States, the Kingdom of France and the Republic of Haiti also participated in the negotiations.

The main points of the Treaty of Buenos Aires were:
- Spain must recognize the independence and sovereignty of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata, the Republic of Uruguay, the Republic of Chile and Gran Colombia.
- The nations of the United Provinces of the Río de la Plata, the Republic of Uruguay, the Republic of Chile and Gran Colombia must recognize the Spanish rule on New Spain, the Caribbean and Peru.
- Spain must not interfere in the affairs of the newly independent nations, and these same nations must not seek to destabilize or fund rebellions in the Spanish territories in the Americas.

Last edited:
I'm kind of undecided about what to do about Texas. Make no Americans to settle there? Make Americans settle but remain as part of New Spain? Texas gets independence and Is anneed by the US, but US loses the war? The US wins the war and takes the same territories as ITOL? Or the US takes Cuba instead of New Mexico and California? Please tell me what should I do regarding this issue.

I'm no expert on Spanish history, but I do know what Americans would (most likely) do. Even if Spain closes the borders, Americans will hop them, and settle. IOTL, West Florida was overrun by Americans to the point that they declared independence from Spain, and when Mexico tried to stop American settlement in Texas, it didn't work. As to what would happen ITTL, it really depends on Spain's actions. The only reason America was able to go to war with, and annex half of Mexico was because they weren't about to have another war, and they were able completely conquer Mexico. ITTL, while America could conquer New Spain, it would be nearly impossible for them to defeat Spain as much as they beat Mexico. Not only that, but if Spain could foster relations with Great Britain, America likely wouldn't go to war at all, because fear of a war with both Mexico and Britain at the same time was IOTL the reason the Oregon Country was divided.

America would almost certainly try to obtain some of the land though, even if not by war. If the border regions in Texas became flooded with Americas, just like Florida, the American government might try and purchase the border regions. They would also probably try and obtain fleet basing rights in San Francisco, or to purchase the city itself outright if they couldn't get California.

Keep in mind that a lot of American settlers were allowed in to try and "civilize" the land and act as a buffer against the Comanche and allied tribes, who were becoming more and more aggressive. If Spain stays in power, the tributes paid to the Comanche never stop, and they probably turn their focus elsewhere. Without the Comanche raids depopulating large parts of northern Mexico, or New Spain in this case, there would be much less of a niche for American settlers to fill and be drawn towards.

If the succession is secure, there might be any Hohenzollern Sigmaringen. This should butterfly the Franco-Prussian war Have you got that far along?

If the succession is secure, there might be any Hohenzollern Sigmaringen. This should butterfly the Franco-Prussian war Have you got that far along?

I have thought aobut that. But, if Bismarck still becomes Chancellor of Prussia, he'll find a way to unify Germany, with or without a war against France. The selection of Leopold as a candidate to the Spanish Crown was an excuse.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The Infante and the new Government

The Infante Carlos Maria of Spain would suffer a mysterious and terrible accident while hunting, the 7th June 1824. He would die five days later, the 12th June 1822. After the death of Infante Carlos, his brother, the Infante Francisco de Paula, started to gain influence over their brother, the King of Spain.

Carlos was known to be “more royalist than the King, and more Catholic than the Pope”, and Francisco was a moderate. Both Carlos and Francisco formed part of the King’s council, and their views often clashed with each other.

The Infante Francisco convinced King Ferdinand to appoint Francisco Cea Bermúdez, a moderate, as the Foreign Minister and President of the Government, the war hero Colonel Rafael De Riego, a liberal, as Minister of War and the Marine, Luis López Ballesteros, a moderate, as Minister of Finance, and Juan de D’Odonojú, a liberal, was made Viceroy of Spain.

After securing New Spain in 1821, and Peru in 1824, Spain recognized the independence of its former colonies, United Provinces of the Río de la Plata, the Republic of Uruguay, the Republic of Chile and Gran Colombia, in 1826, thus ending the Latin American Revolutions and Latin American Wars of Independence.

In 1828, some changes were made to the colonial system. Cuba, Santo Domingo and Puerto Rico formed the General Captaincy of the West Indies, Lower Peru would be incorporated to the Viceroyalty of Peru, and the Philippines would get autonomy from New Spain.

José de la Serna would keep his position as Viceroy of Peru until his death in 1832, while Juan d’Odonojú would be named Viceroy of New Spain in 1822, replacing Viceroy Apodaca. Agustín Iturbide would become the highest military commander at the Americas, after being named Supreme Commander of the Royal Army of New Spain, and the first criollo to hold such a position power in the Spanish Empire.

After the Napoleonic Wars, the Spanish War of Independence and the Latin American Wars of Independence, the Spanish economy was in shambles. The main task of the Cea Bermúdez’s government was to revive the economy and begin to industrialize. Luis López Ballesteros made reforms on the Spanish economy, and in 1829 created the Bolsa de Madrid and the Banco de España.

On foreign policy, Spain made economic agreements with Britain, ratified the Treaty of Adams-Onís with the United States and forged an alliance with France. Overall, it looked like Spain was on the right track again, at least, for the moment.

Chapter 4: The Portuguese Civil War & the Regency:

Brazil had declared their independence in 1822. Pedro de Bragança, eldest son and heir of King John VI of Portugal, proclaimed himself Emperor of Brazil, as Pedro I. John VI of Portugal died in 1826. Pedro I of Brazil also became King of Portugal, as Pedro IV, but abdicated as King of Portugal two weeks later, being succeeded by his daughter, Mary II of Portugal.

In 1828, Miguel, Pedro I of Brazil’s brother, returned from his exile in Austria to Portugal, deposing her niece Mary II of Portugal and proclaiming himself Miguel I of Portugal, starting the Portuguese Civil War.

Britain didn’t recognize Miguel I, and supported the liberals, led by Pedro I of Brazil, while Spain supported the conservatives, led by Miguel I of Portugal. France and Belgium started backing the liberals in 1830.

The King Ferdinand VII of Spain died the 29th September 1833, from tuberculosis. He would be succeeded by his oldest son, Ferdinand, Prince of Asturias, who would become Ferdinand VIII of Spain, at the age of 12. The young king’s uncle, the Infante Francisco de Paula de Borbón, was named Regent of the King & Duke of Cádiz.

After Ferdinand VII’s death, the Duke of Cádiz removed his support to Miguel I of Portugal, that surrendered himself on 1834. Miguel was allowed to live in exile, with an annual pension, in exchange of renouncing all his claims to the Portuguese Throne, and Mary II of Portugal was restored as Queen of Portugal.

The Duke of Cádiz soon started to make changes. He allowed many liberties, like free association and freedom of press, and reduced the Church’s power, finally abolishing the Inquisition, and overall satisfying Spanish liberals.

On foreign policy, quickly after the Portuguese Civil War, the Duke of Cádiz forged an alliance with Britain, France & Portugal, known as the London Pact, to counterbalance the absolutist Holy Alliance, made up by Austria, the Russian Empire & Prussia.

The Duke of Cádiz’s regency ended in 1836, but he would continue to hold power for many years. Francisco de Paula was no king, but he would be remembered as the father of the modern Spanish nation.

The next chapter will be centered in North America, more exactly, Texas. :)

Last edited:
I think that I know what to do about Texas. Summarizing, Americans still settle, and rebel when Spain bans slavery, and are annnexed by the US some years later. USA still wins the war but gains less territory than IOTL.. But if there are any experts on American History, tell me something.

I think that I know what to do about Texas. Summarizing, Americans still settle, and rebel when Spain bans slavery, and are annexed by the US some years later. USA still wins the war but gains less territory than IOTL.. But if there are any experts on American History, tell me something.

We took everything you had, but if you make it less one sided, and possibly seek to end the war early maybe you can get away with giving us just the troublesome parts of the Spanish empire. You can probably get away with giving us the Philippines, I don't think you could have ever hoped to keep them and they were more trouble for you then beneficial. I live on Guam, I honestly think the people here would have been content if you had just given them province-hood (Of statehood, I don't know what you guys use) Puerto Rico is again full of people whom are somewhat benign, I'm not aware of any strong movements there to leave Spain, just give them province and invest more in infrastructure and your good. I don't see any real way Spain can keep up with America's Industrial speed. Cuba again was something that Americans would want, and whose people were prone to independent thinking, we would definitely push to take them. I am by no means an expert by the way, take what I say with a grain of salt. Subscribed, Looking forward to future updates ;)