Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of autism, does this book still get written: https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Kids-Had-Cancer-Surviving/dp/1606720708?

Yes, I Wish My Kids Had Cancer is the actual title; I don't think I need to tell you how well that went over with the reviewers on amazon.com...

As someone with high-functioning autism and who knows people with different cancers (my mom had lung cancer (the after-effects of which probably contributed to her death), and a friend of my mom and I is going through treatment for breast cancer), I don't have anything good to say, about the book title or author...

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
That is not the book of the mother psycothic isn't it? This, that one and George Washington birthday cake one make me wonder i should write like that.. would get money...
Really?

You change a perfectly reasonable post to that?

That is a nope raised to the power of nope.

See ya' in 7.

Woah, what the hell happened?
Nivek changed Unknown's post from this.....
Speaking of autism, does this book still get written: https://www.amazon.com/Wish-Kids-Had-Cancer-Surviving/dp/1606720708?
Yes, I Wish My Kids Had Cancer is the actual title; I don't think I need to tell you how well that went over with the reviewers on amazon.com...

As someone with high-functioning autism and who knows people with different cancers (my mom had lung cancer (the after-effects of which probably contributed to her death), and a friend of my mom and I is going through treatment for breast cancer), I don't have anything good to say, about the book title or author...
To this......
shut the fuck up
So CalBear kicked Nivek for that.

All in all, it would probably be better to discuss the kick here.

Nivek changed Unknown's post from this.....

To this......
So CalBear kicked Nivek for that.

All in all, it would probably be better to discuss the kick here.
seems like the context for that was like "shut the fuck up, that's crazy" at least that's how I took it.

Stupid reason to kick him.

On a side note, I had edited out that comment because I thought it was too harsh; it was directed to the author of that book.

I agree; it's a somewhat pointless reason to kick him and I apologize if I did anything wrong here...

On a side note, I had edited out that comment because I thought it was too harsh; it was directed to the author of that book.

I agree; it's a somewhat pointless reason to kick him and I apologize if I did anything wrong here...
wait, you had actually said that? seems like CalBear thought he changed your post to say that.

Yeah; the original post had that (directed at the author of that book I mentioned), but I edited it out because I didn't want to get into trouble here, plus I thought it was a bit harsh. I didn't realize that @Nivek had commented on it before I made my edits. @CalBear, sorry if I did anything wrong...

@Nivek, I apologize if I did anything wrong and for taking this off-course...

Yeah; the original post had that (directed at the author of that book I mentioned), but I edited it out because I didn't want to get into trouble here, plus I thought it was a bit harsh. I didn't realize that @Nivek had commented on it before I made my edits. @CalBear, sorry if I did anything wrong...

@Nivek, I apologize if I did anything wrong and for taking this off-course...
I don't think it's really on you or @Nivek fault
This is really on @CalBear for not checking the edit history of your post before issuing a kick. No offense, but that's just negligent.

I don't think it's really on you or @Nivek fault
This is really on @CalBear for not checking the edit history of your post before issuing a kick. No offense, but that's just negligent.

Hi. I was the one who reported Nivek. I didn't see the original post with the STFU in it and assumed that it was flaming Unknown for his post. I was confused as to why it only seemed to flame via quote manipulation and the main part having no real insults, but I decided to act in good faith. I deeply apologize for this mistake and the trouble it caused.

On the subject of Gaming Webcomics, do any of the following exist?:
Megatokyo.
CAD. (I assume you know what I mean.)
Questionable Content.
8-Bit Theater.

The Blockbusters Of 2006
(Authors' Note: The idea for Honor Student was given to us by the reader Unknown, while the ideas for the X-Men, Flash, Fantastic Four, Suicide Squad, and Shazam films were all by Pyro.)

-

The Top 25 Highest Grossing Films Of 2006 (North American domestic gross only):

1. X-Men: The Dark Phoenix, Part 2 - $488.7 million

2. King Arthur: The Fall Of Camelot - $475 million (Note: The epic tale of King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table continues. This film would ultimately break the record for the biggest opening weekend of all time, though X-Men: The Dark Phoenix, Part 2 would take that record back a few months later. Like the second installment of most epic trilogies, this one ends on a bit of a low note to set up the third film.)

3. Night At The Museum - $294.6 million

4. The Flash 2 - $286.0 million

5. Cars - $237.3 million

6. Fantastic Four 2 - $228.5 million

7. Ganymede - $217.5 million (Note: A sci-fi space action film about a massive disaster about to befall the four space colonies on Jupiter's largest moons, particularly Ganymede, which is about to be impacted by another of Jupiter's moons after the planet's gravity is disrupted. Packed with stars and loaded with special effects, the film gets a mixed reaction from critics but is seen as groundbreaking from a visual standpoint.)

8. The Marshal - $190.6 million (Note: A biopic about Bass Reeves, the legendary black deputy US Marshal and the partial inspiration for the Lone Ranger. Stars Will Smith, who was reluctant to take the role after 1999's Wild Wild West flopped, but a massive payday and the promise of Oscars lured Smith to the role, and this ultimately became one of the year's most popular films, and the first blockbuster Western since Dances With Wolves.)

9. Eragon - $188.4 million (Note: They get the Eragon film adaptation right ITTL, thanks to much better writing that actually improves on the original source material, and much better casting as well. The film would kick off a four film franchise that would prove to be one of the more successful of the late 2000s/early 2010s.)

10. Dreamweaver - $166.5 million (Note: An action thriller starring Adam Sandler as a cop assigned to protect a psychic played by Drew Barrymore who is the only one who can stop a dangerous spree killer. After a run of bad films from Sandler, this action title helped put him back in audiences' good graces, though Tony Scott's directing and Denzel Washington's outstanding performance as the film's villain also helped.)

11. The Underground - $165.8 million (Note: Another Dreamworks CGI animated film, this one about moles. There's not much to this one, it's sort of funny and looks quite good on the big screen, it has a few celebrities... despite the lack of Shrek, Dreamworks has settled into about the same pattern they have IOTL in terms of animated films, with Warner Bros. filling the niche that Fox did IOTL in terms of animated features.)

12. Suicide Squad - $152.6 million

13. The Departed - $150.7 million

14. Intrusion - $148.1 million (Note: Michael Bay's explosive horror/thriller film is basically the same as any other “haunting” type movie, with the twist that eventually the heroes fight back against the ghosts with guns and grenade launchers. While it makes decent money, it was expected to make a good deal more, and Lindsay Lohan's acting is trashed by critics.

15. Mission: Impossible III - $140.5 million

16. Talladega Nights: The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby - $131.9 million

17. Shazam! - $127.9 million

18. Pass The Star - $123.4 million (Note: A roller derby film starring mostly teen girl actresses, with Tessa Thompson and Peyton List in the lead roles, but other more well-known at the time actresses in major supporting roles. This film does for roller derby what Pitch Perfect did for chorus groups and elevates its leads into much bigger stars.)

19. Scuzzy - $116.0 million (Note: An animated CGI film made by a fairly small studio, Scuzzy's protagonist is a furry little monster who grosses people out but who just wants a friend. It's a very heartwarming film and a contender for the year's top animated movie, succeeding more on word of mouth than on hype.)

20. Charlotte's Web - $112.5 million (Note: Just a slightly better film ITTL, and released with less competition around it, so it does a bit better than IOTL's film did.)

21. Desperate - $109.8 million (Note: A crime thriller starring George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg, it's fairly close in subject matter to Wall Street and OTL's Michael Clayton, with corporate espionage and class differences playing a big role in the film's narrative. Scores decent reviews and has good legs after a strong opening weekend.)

22. Honor Student - $103.7 million

23. How To Flunk Chemistry - $98.0 million (Note: An offbeat comedy starring Isla Fischer as an extremely eccentric chemistry professor who has to work with a bunch of frat bros to keep her tenure, this film can best be described as Breaking Bad meets Animal House, and is surprisingly funny, though it doesn't overwhelmingly click with audiences.)

24. The Transporter 3 - $97.6 million

25. V For Vendetta - $92.9 million

8. The Marshal - $190.6 million (Note: A biopic about Bass Reeves, the legendary black deputy US Marshal and the partial inspiration for the Lone Ranger. Stars Will Smith, who was reluctant to take the role after 1999's Wild Wild West flopped, but a massive payday and the promise of Oscars lured Smith to the role, and this ultimately became one of the year's most popular films, and the first blockbuster Western since Dances With Wolves.)

Bass Reeves is one of those people whose actual life is even more unbelievable than a Hollywood movie.

Why the hell hasn't anyone done a movie about him yet?

It would be nice to see black actors other than Morgan Freeman, Samuel L. Jackson and Will Smith getting leading roles in Hollywood, though.

Idris Elba is getting there in OTL but still, it's kind of like Burton's obsession with Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp on an industry-wide scale.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Interesting. Cars, Night At The Museum, and the movie adaptation of Charlotte's Web all exist ITTL, and while I was too young to remember Eragon it's nice to hear a book adaptation to a movie is done right, I might have a series to take interest in ITTL here, too. It appears V for Vendetta is released later than in OTL, I pobably missed something.

Overall, this appears to be a very solid set of movies IMHO. I also probably missed something else, but I am also going to guess that 300 the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise are both nonexistent?

I also probably missed something else, but I am also going to guess that 300 the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise are both nonexistent?

300 is butterflied. There WAS a Pirates Of The Caribbean film, it was released in 1999 and while it did well, it didn't do nearly as well as OTL's. It did do well enough to get one sequel, but ultimately was a flash in the pan rather than being a mega blockbuster, and wasn't really very much like OTL's films at all.

7. Ganymede - $217.5 million (Note: A sci-fi space action film about a massive disaster about to befall the four space colonies on Jupiter's largest moons, particularly Ganymede, which is about to be impacted by another of Jupiter's moons after the planet's gravity is disrupted. Packed with stars and loaded with special effects, the film gets a mixed reaction from critics but is seen as groundbreaking from a visual standpoint.)

In a sense, I feel this is a repetition of what 2001: A Space Odyssey experienced. Both sci-fi movies had amazing visuals yet were initially met with divided or mediocre reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.