Map Thread XXII

I
A map for the old alternate history travel guides world "Mongol Japan", in which the Mongols succeed in conquering Japan, only for the tail to eventually start wagging the dog all over the place.

View attachment 874117
I'm curious about these travel guides. I know you have a thread on here with about 100 of them collected? Is that the total number of guides that were ever published?

And do you know how many of the guides you've done covers of?

I

I'm curious about these travel guides. I know you have a thread on here with about 100 of them collected? Is that the total number of guides that were ever published?

Rather more than that, but for a lot of them I knew nothing but the name, so they weren't in the gazetteer. I think I have a complete list somewhere: I can scan it and upload the image if you're interested. I did a lot of maps, but I mostly did them a long time ago, so they're pretty crappy by current map thread standards. Most of them should be findable on my deviantart. https://www.deviantart.com/quantumbranching/gallery?q=alternate+history+travel+guides (the more recent results mostly aren't AHTG, so start at the bottom and work your way up if you're curious.)

Rather more than that, but for a lot of them I knew nothing but the name, so they weren't in the gazetteer. I think I have a complete list somewhere: I can scan it and upload the image if you're interested. I did a lot of maps, but I mostly did them a long time ago, so they're pretty crappy by current map thread standards. Most of them should be findable on my deviantart. https://www.deviantart.com/quantumbranching/gallery?q=alternate+history+travel+guides (the more recent results mostly aren't AHTG, so start at the bottom and work your way up if you're curious.)
I made a (non-exhaustive) collection

Last edited:

Bytor

Monthly Donor
Republic of Scotland - Main Language at Home - 3 - thumbnail.png

This is a redo of a previous map.

This is a choropleth series from the National Library of Scotland in a timeline where James VI never became King of England and the 1707 Act of Union never took place. Scotland remained independent, and historically allied with nations like France, Aragon, and Norway.

It depicts which of the official languages of Scotland is the primary one used at home as reported in the national census of 2020. The four official languages are Scottis, Erse, Norn, and Inglis, known as Scottish, Gaelic, Norish, and English by speakers of the final one.

(I have this 'Kingdom of Burgundy' timeline where Mary of Burgundy, daughter of Charles the Bold marries Nicholas, eventual Duke of Lorraine, and thanks to the Lorrainer influence there are no conflicts with the Old Swiss Confederacy and Charles the Bold does successfully get the Kingdom of Burgundy under the HRE that had been promised to him but reneged upon, and this map is in the modern day of that ATL, maybe.)

I made one small retcon that increased the range of a surviving Norn (Norish) language. I imagined stronger connections and trade with Norway after the dissolution of the Kingdom of the Isles in 1266 and the transfer of Shetland and Orkney to Scotland in 1472, resulting in more Norwegians immigration that maintained the Gallgáedil culture of the Outer Hebrides after the Treaty of Perth.

Last edited:
Ethnic Map of a Modern Ottoman Constantinople

XAZBZK6.png

Basically an attempt to show the ethnic demographics of a modern Ottoman constantinople if I applied our timeline's growth rates to the ethnic population that was present in 1914 Constantinople and without them being subjected to the genocides and progroms of WW1, Greco-Turkish War and the 50s.

Thoughts?

Ethnic Map of a Modern Ottoman Constantinople

XAZBZK6.png

Basically an attempt to show the ethnic demographics of a modern Ottoman constantinople if I applied our timeline's growth rates to the ethnic population that was present in 1914 Constantinople and without them being subjected to the genocides and progroms of WW1, Greco-Turkish War and the 50s.

Thoughts?

Nice!

This is a choropleth series from the National Library of Scotland in a timeline where James VI never became King of England and the 1707 Act of Union never took place. Scotland remained independent, historically allied with nations like France, Aragon, and Norway.

It depicts which of the official languages of Scotland is the primary one used at home as reported in the national census of 2020. The four official languages are Scottis, Erse, Norn, and Inglis, known as Scottish, Gaelic, Norish, and English by speakers of the final one.

(I have this 'Kingdom of Burgundy' timeline where Mary of Burgundy, daughter of Charles the Bold marries Nicholas, eventual Duke of Lorraine, and thanks to the Lorrainer influence there are no conflicts with the Old Swiss Confederacy and Charles the Bold does successfully get the Kingdom of Burgundy under the HRE that had been promised to him but reneged upon, and this map is in the modern day of that ATL, maybe.)

I made one small retcon that increased the range of a surviving Norn (Norish) language. I imagined stronger connections and trade with Norway after the dissolution of the Kingdom of the Isles in 1266 and the transfer of Shetland and Orkney to Scotland in 1472, resulting in more Norwegians immigration that maintained the Gallgáedil culture of the Outer Hebrides after the Treaty of Perth.

Excellent work! Love Norn survival maps.

It's been about a year or so since my previous map in this series (for those out of the loop, inspired by B_Munro's "embiggen the nation" series), but I figured I might as well keep dropping these maps here. Here's Big Nation, Romania to Philippines! (and with bonus a bonus Samoa, which I forgot in my previous one)
1702605454933.png
1702605497302.png

The German Imperial Marriage: The Sun of Inti Shines Over a New Era
A follow-up of the scenario I've started here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/map-thread-xxi.522105/page-310#post-23651179

The world in 1804
ddaaxuw-37096c79-6add-427a-a9e4-4c9822dc2b0c (1).png

After the War of the German Unification, endind in 1744, with likely the largest geopolitical shock in Europe since the Reformation, three other wars would shape the second half of the XVIII century.

France ended on the losing side of the WGU, failing to prevent the marriage of the now Emperor Frederick IV and Maria Theresa, and so the reconsolidation of Imperial power, whose existence now as a mostly coherent state ended for good any French dream of Continental hegemony.
But, in a way, the result of the war was a blessing in disguise for France: The Kingdoms of Belgium and of Lorraine, estabilished as internationally-recognized neutral states to serve as a German buffer against France, also ended serving as French buffers against Germany. Meanwhile, in Italy, the Savoyard aquisition of Milan put an end to the Habsburg presence in Italy. For the first time, France could be secure that there were no imediate threats on their borders, allowing them to downsize their continental military commitiments and focus more on colonial ones.
This would come to be very useful when, in 1756, land disputes between French and British colonists on the Ohio Valley exploded in the War of the Two Oceans, that would pit the British on one side, and a Franco-Spanish alliance on the other. The war would end overall stalemated, with some minor land transfers mostly streamlining both borders in Europe and colonial zones of influence in North America and India. The Treaty of Brussels, that ended it, put the following terms:
-On North America, Britain would get the lands between the Appalachians, the Mississippi (minus it's Nouvelle Orléans-dominated mouth), and the Great Lakes, so winnning the Ohio Valley, original reason of the war. The French would also give up on any claims on Newfoundland and neighbouring islands.
-Meanwhile, the French, in North America, would get back Acadia and get Rupert's Land, the latter joined to the colony of Canada.
-On the Caribbean, the Spanish got Belize and the Mosquitia from the British, while the latter got Florida, and Trinidad from the former, while also getting Granada and the Grenadines from the French. Yurumein (Saint Vincent) was confirmed as neutral, being ruled by the Garifuna.
-India was divided on four zones of influence, with outposts being exchanged if needed: Portugal with the the northwest coast; The Netherlands with the southwest plus Ceylon; France with the southeast; and Britain with the northeast.
-In Europe, the British gave up Menorca (but absolutely not Gibraltar) to the Spanish, and the Channel Islands to the French. The British also renounced the Irish throne, where Charles Edward Stuart lauched a successful Franco-Spanish backed rebellion during the war, with him now becoming King Charles III of Ireland, while renouncing any further claims on the English and Scottish thrones.

Some years latter, in 1777, the Khan of Crimea, Şahin Giray, faced a rebellion by his nobles due to his attemps at modernizing the country's administration. He appealled to the Porte to help him in restoring the order (pointing in secret that a weak Khanate would open opportunities for further Russian encroachment). The Russians, meanwhile, not interested in seeing a strenghtened Khanate, and seeing the rebellion as an opportunity, supported it, covertly at first, but, after a clash between Russian irregulars (some, let's say, Little Green Men) and Ottoman troops, the Crimean War exploded.
Sweden and PLC had both ended on the wrong side of the WGU, losing lands to Russia, who took the German side, and itched for revenge. But, despite the latter's former help, Frederick and Maria Theresa were now looking for the geopolitical future of their new Empire, and, on their view, a decadent Ottoman Empire and the middle powers of Sweden and the PLC were preferable to German interests in Center-Eastern Europe than an increasingly assertive and strong Russian empire. So, arguing unlawful Russian intromission on internal Ottoman affairs, Germany, Hungary, Sweden, and the PLC took the Ottoman side on the Crimean war. The now German-led alliance would impose, with Frederick's military genius, a crushing defeat on the Russians. The Treaty of Riga, ending the war in 1781, would have the following terms:
-Şahin Giray is, once again, confirmed as Khan of Crimea. With the rebelling nobles destroyed by the war, he finally got the chance to start advancing his reforms.
-The Ukrainian Hetmanate is restored as a fully-independent country, while also getting Sloboda Ukraine from the Russians. (some in te PLC did wished to absorb it back, but this was opposed by the Germans, who didn't wanted to see it growing too much; by the local Cossacks, with even the most anti-Tsarist ones being absulutely against being ruled by a Catholic power, and by others in the PLC itself, that considered that Ukraine would no longer be digestible by the PLC).
-Sweden got back the Karelian lands they had lost to Russia in the Great Northern War and the WGU.
-The Baltic provinces become independent as two kingdoms (largely under German influence): The Kingdom of Livonia and Courland, under the House of Biron, and the Kingdom of Estonia, under the House of Mecklenburg (who, in exchange, give up their German lands to the Imperial domain).

While the Crimean War ended, another conflict started, far away from the European centers of power, but one that would come to capture the imaginations of it's growing political idealists.
In November of 1780, the curaca Túpac Amaru II started his independence war against the Spanish Crown. Five months later, rebels in New Granada raised themselves against the Crown. The War of South American Independence had fully started.
The British and Portuguese would come to the rebels' support, while Spanish attempts to drag France to their side, by appealing to the Family Pact, fell on deaf ears.
The two initial separatist movements, by Túpac Amaru II on the former Inca lands, and by the Comuneros in New Granada, would be joined by separate movements led by local caciques in Moxos and Chiquitos, that would come to create separate states. Argentina and Chile, by themselves, had only minor separatist movements, but, isolared from the remaining Spanish Empire by the rebellion in the Andes, would be captured and forced into independence by the anti-Spanish alliance.
The war would come to end in 1786, with the Treaty of London. It determined:
-The independence of Tahuantinsuyo, New Granada (Panama, loyalist during the whole war, stays with Spain), Moxos, Chiquitos, Argentina, and Chile;
-On the Caribbean, the British would get Belize, Mosquitia, and San Andres and Providencia back from Spain;
-On South America, Portugal would get the Seven Missions area, while Britain would get Chiloe, the Banda Oriental, and the Falklands, with Argentina and Chile also giving up on claiming Araucania and Patagonia in favor of the British.
-In Africa, Portugal would get back Ano Bom and Fernando Pó.
After the Argentine independence, the province of Paraguay, with is heavy Guarani population and the deep rivalry between Asunción and Buenos Aires, would refuse to be part of the new country and declare it's own independence, with the Argentine attemtp to retake it being defeated by the locals and the Portuguese, the first to recognize Paraguayan independence.
Meanwhile New Granada would, just after independence, implode into a civil war between centralists and federalists, ending with the latter winning. During the war, the freedmen of Chocó declared their independence from New Granada, with the latter failing to recapture it even after the end of the civil war. Unlike OTL Haiti, there were no massacres of the White population, due to the situation in Chocó never reaching the brutality of the Haitian Independence War. Most Whites still left Chocó for New Granada when it became clear the latter had failed to reclaim the former, due to their unpleasant feeling on living under a Black-led state.

Both the British and the French, despite not getting everything they wanted, end the XVIII century quite satisfied with themselves, both commanding respectable transoceanic empires, albeit, in the latter, intellectuals are pointing their institutions are still quite behind of thse of the former, with Louis XVI attempts at reform ending frustrated by noble opposition. The Netherlands and Portugal could also claim to end the XVIII century better than they started.
In Central-Eastern Europe, Germany is clearly the new shining power, with Frederick IV ending his life, in 1786,being lauded as The Great, the greatest German leader since the first Frederick, the Barbarossa. The PLC, since the estabilishment of the hereditary Wettin monarchy in 1744, has been also on a upswing, with German-supported reforms (to strenghten the PLC against Russia) ending with the liberum veto and the overall disfunctionality of the Sejm. Poland ends the XVIII century as the France of the East, a prosperous agrarian economy feeding the burgeoning German population and industry. Meanwhile, in Sweden, the success of the Crimean War in undoing at least part of the XVIII centry Swedish losses to Russia has allowed Gustav III to firmly consolidate himself as an absolute monarch.
The Ottomans got their asses saved by the Germans and friends on the Crimean War, but, if anything, this has made them even more complacent, and the Porte does end the XVIII century with a palpable sense of decadence and weakening of central institutions (something no declared friends of the Porte will come to take advantage of in the future, not at all!) Only in Crimea, with Şahin's reforms, and increasingly economically integrated into the German bloc, that an upswing can be felt.
Spain and Russia, meanwhile end the XVIII century with a very bitter taste on their mouths. With Spain having lost half of it's colonial empire, there is a bitter debate on what went wrong: Reactionaries blame both French "treason" and Charles III's Enlightenment sympathies, while reformists claim the problem was that the reforms didn't went far enough, and that, maybe, the problem is with absolutism in general, even if "enlightened". Russia, meanwhile, has seen almost all of it's gains since the Great Northern War undone. This, together with Catherine II's, the one who failed the Empire, Enlightenment sympathies, has been convincing a large part of the Russian nobility and intelligentsia that the Russian attempt at becoming "European" was, ultimately, a fool's errand: The future of Russia is, as it should have always been, in the East.
On India, the Maratha Empire, that earlier in the century looked set into building the first Hindu empire since the Gurjaras, have now being reduced to their core lands, by the combined effors of the British, Portugese, French, Hyderabadis, and Mysoreans, with most of their imperial lands either conquered or vassalized by these, or becoming, with their support, independent states, as it has happened with the Kingdom of Nagpur, and the Rajasthani Confederacy.

New ideas on the air
It's no secret that the Enlightenment movement started a lot of criticisms on the current forms of govertment and overall estabilished political orthodoxy, and new speculation on how they should ideally operate. While some countries, like Germany, Sweden and Crimea, end the century quite satisfied with enlightened absolutism, in others, like France, there is an increasing discomfort with how things are done overall, and, in Spain, outright despair.
Some experiments with the new political ideas have been started, in more peripherical countries. The Rajasthani Confederacy, in a first outside the cultural West, has written a Western-inspired constitution to organize it's federal government (but, it must be made clear, most of it's institutons, specially inside it's member states, are still firmly traditional).
Britain and the PLC are, of course, the main exemples for those interested in constitutional monarchism, with the monarch in the former being almost entirely ceremonial, while, in the latter, it retains strong executive powers. Among the newly-independent countries in South America, while Moxos and Chiquitos are full-blown absolutist, and Paraguay, theoretically a republic, has fallen to military strongmen, Argentina and Chile have gotten British-style constitutional monarchies (headed by minor Bourbons), only with written constitutions, instead of just custom, while Tahuantinsuyo, with the huge figure of Túpac Amaru II, has become a PLC-styled one, with Túpac Amaru as it's emperor (albeit, on the other side, due to the heavy popular participation on the independence war, it has also one of the broadest franchises in the world, even if the parliament has less powes v. the Emperor).
On the British continental North American colonies, while appetite for independence was limitated, due to the continued French presence, there was still a strong interest in self-government, eventually solved with the colonies there being organized into two self-governing dominions, the Dominion of New England, embracing the free-farming colonies of the north, and the Dominion of Great Virginia, embracing the plantation colonies of the south. A similar deal was extended by Charles III to Venezuela, the last Spanish possession in South America, at the end of his reign, partly as a reward for it's continued loyalty, partly to disincentivize new rebellions.
Meanwhile, outright republican experiments are popping here and there. In Europe besides the long-existing republics in the Alps and Italy (albeit the latter ones have gone full oligarchic by this point), new republics have blossomed in Corsica (with the French having gotten a draw on TTL's version of the 7YW, they had no interest to go after the British by taking Corsica) and Ukraine, the latter adopting a quite modern theory of separation and limitation of powers, albeit still with a indirect and somewhat restricted franchise. Meanwhile, in South America, New Granada, after it's civil war, crystalized into a federal republic, taking it's cues from Switzerland. Chocó, meanwhile, became a more direct democracy, inspired by Corsica, and quite celebrated among the nascent Abolitionist circles.
Democratizing experiments have been also attempted at the heart of the Europe, with the Dutch and Genevan attempted revolutions, but both ended crushed with foreign help, the first by the Germans, the second by the French.
But, so political idealists hope, the Winds of Change will still come, if not today, then some day near.

QDtyHNv.png

See also: Negusate of Tzarfat

As before, narrative prose is not my usual style, so please let me know if you all have suggestions for improvement. The below is not necessary to understand the concept of the map - it's just a fun experiment, so feel free to TL;DR.

The truck lurched and shook as it raced across the open fields of southern Angater. Chokwe's fingers ached from hanging on to the bar beside his seat, trying desperately to not be sick.

For days now his life had been nothing but rush and increasingly uncomfortable forms of transportation. Rush out of the barracks after the eleventh-hour UNSC vote for the airlift to Tanja. Rush on to the rusty, cramped old Magrebi ship for the 20-hour transit to Angater. Rush onto the beach to offload the heavy equipment, and then rush north on nonexistent roads in the crappy surplus Chacan trucks. And for what? The 'internationally-recognized' government they were rushing to protect was gone already - dead along with their 'Kunig', who despite the repeated advice of the UN Ambassador to wait for the peacekeepers had decided to go ahead personally with his army to resist the invasion and had got an arrow through his eye for his troubles.

And so here they were, the tip of what was supposed to be a much larger spear, racing the invading militias north to the largest city in the area. What exactly they would do once they encountered them, no one seemed to know.

The truck slowed, then screeched as it came to a stop. Chokwe felt his heart beating in his ears. There wasn't supposed to be any fighting, but he couldn't help but think of the stories of the brutality of Frangistani warlords - of child soldiers, of men beheaded, torn limb from limb, emboweled alive. What could peacekeeping mean when dealing with people like that? Outside the canvas lining of the truck, he heard fire and screams. His throat tightened further. He gripped his rifle and waited for the sign to deploy. To his left and right, he saw the other 17 men in the back of the truck do the same, with varying degrees of tension on their face.

Instead, he heard the sergeant yell back from the cab, "Hold on, we're just asking for directions." Chokwe breathed out and felt relief wash over him. In the cab, he heard the sergeant and the translator - a too-young Sefaradi woman - speaking with a local. After a moment, curiosity overtook fear, and he strained to listen.

"...that here of orl wilem soht thon tun ofer twa tide geara... tha kopoden maest of tha riptiman ak kwealdon alfredas..."

"A foraging party was here two hours ago. They took food and killed a villager."

"Do they know which way they went?"

"Hwider hie eodon?"

"Ik wit it nat...norfne, ak ik ne gewislik."

"She isn't sure, but thought they were headed north."

"That matches what we heard from recon. Let's get going."

"Thankie the, wes hal. Let's go."

The engine roared and the truck jolted as it moved. As they left the village, Chokwe could see the village out the back of the truck - ramshackle wooden houses with thatched roofs, one of which was blackened and smoldering. The woman the sergeant and the translator had been speaking to was still by the side of the road, staring at the convoy. Blood was splattered across the dirt, but Chokwe couldn't see anything else before the truck made a sharp turn and headed across the barren fields.

After another hour of bouncing along hills and struggling through mud, the monotony was broken by the sergeant pounding on the back of the cab. "Dismount in thirty seconds! Get ready!"

This was it, then. The truck slowed as it climbed a steep hill, then screeched as it stopped suddenly. Two at a time, the peacekeepers leapt out of the truck and ran to the left. As he waited for his turn, Chokwe heard the sergeant shouting. "Through the treeline, thirty meters! Form a line!" Finally, he leapt out of the truck into the brisk air. To his left and right, he saw the other seven trucks stop and the rest of the detachment dismount.

Following the rest of the group, Chokwe pushed through the line of trees. The forest was dense with thick oaks, but the leaves had already mostly fallen, and he could see a break into an open field just ahead. As he arrived at the edge of the line, he dropped into position, looked up, and gaped at what he saw.

On the other side of the field, about half a kilometer out, was the 'militia' they had come to confront. Their line stretched nearly the entire length of the field, and was several ranks deep. Their chain armor gleamed in the afternoon sun, accenting the bright red, yellow, and white of their banners. Above their heads, the spears and banners waved like a cloud of flies, crowning the rounded-diamond shields the footmen carried in front of them.

There must have been thousands.

To stop them they had 155 blue helmets, hunkered down in a thin line on the edge of the field.

Chokwe felt nauseous. Suddenly his Cold War-vintage rifle didn't feel like such a comfort anymore.

Four men down the line, Major Ghuri - a short and slim Zabulistani - had arrived with the translator and a megaphone and was surveying the scene. As he did, a group of horsemen split from the main group and approached the line at full gallop.

The major was silent for a moment as he saw the approaching group, then spoke into the radio. "Hold fire, rules of engagement remain in place." He turned to the translator. "Tell them who we are, and then let's see what they have to say."

The translator turned the dial all the way to the right on the megaphone and began to speak. The blare was so loud that Chokwe couldn't make out the words. The horsemen faltered and stopped on hearing the sound, but as the translator finished, resumed towards them. At only twenty meters out, the major held up a hand, and mercifully the horsemen stopped - so close to the barrel of Chokwe's rifle that he could hear the heavy breathing of the lead horseman's massive, muscular mount.

As he began to speak, the translator spoke into the major's ear, just loud enough for Chokwe to overhear bits and pieces. "Tzarfatian tribal leader...legitimized by a high religious leader...welcomes your band to view the ceremony."

The major stared for a moment at the lead horseman, then turned and called back to the communications officer, behind and to his left. "No luck on raising the Ambassador?"

The man shook his head. "Still no."

The major turned back, paused, then addressed the translator. "Tell them that while we don't dispute their chief's claim, our mission requires us to ensure a peaceful transition of power. We would be glad to arrange a meeting with the UN Ambassador, but in the meantime we must request you wait where you are or return to the coast."

As the translator spoke, the lead horseman flashed his nearest companion a look of mistrust. He spoke, more rapidly now. In her nervousness, the translator raised her voice. "He claims we should know it is impossible for their army to stop or return on their path. They accuse us of asking them to starve. They insist on continuing north and say you have no right to stop them."

"Tell them I understand their concern and reiterate we aren't disputing their claim, but we have orders from the United Nations Security Council which requires us to ask them to stop their advance, and we will do everything we can to clarify the new political situation with our superiors as soon as possible."

Another exchange, faster and more agitated. The translator looked increasingly nervous. "They say their authority is from their god and the UNSC has no authority. They ask you to withdraw immediately to save the lives of your men."

Another beat. The major looked back at the communications officer, who shook his head again. The major lifted his radio again. Chokwe held his breath. Were they leaving?

"Ready mortars. Hold fire until ordered." To the translator: "Tell them we will attempt to consult our superiors, but for the time being we cannot evacuate our position. Ask they do the same with their leader and pause as long as possible. We have nothing further to say."

On hearing the translation, the horsemen turned and returned to the army, leaving a cloud of dust in their wake. The major spoke again into the radio, but the horses' hooves muffled the sound. Chokwe's sergeant ran down the unit's line. "Prepare to engage, hold fire until ordered!"

Chokwe could hardly believe it. With nothing behind them to protect, they were going to fight an army?

A few minutes passed in silence. The militia across the field seemed to show little action. Suddenly, the first row of men began to move.

From behind, the sergeant bellowed: "Shields up!"

Chokwe's hands shook as he retrieved and unfolded his 'shield' - a mesh on a stand meant to protect against Frangistani arrow fire. He couldn't imagine it stopping a sharp rock, let alone the long metal-tipped poles they had seen pictures of in training. As he did, the Tzarfatian army let loose a barrage, which flew high into the air, barely visible against the bright blue sky. They made a solid 'thunk' as they landed - mercifully, most well short of the UN line. Chokwe finished unfolding the legs of the shield and huddled underneath. As the archers launched another round of missiles, the second and third rows passed through their loose formation and began to march towards the treeline. The second round of arrows landed closer to target - one impaled itself in the dirt just inches from Chokwe's neighbor to the right.

The sergeant spoke. "Hold fire."

Chokwe heard the blare of the translator's megaphone, but again failed to make out the words. The men on the field broke into a run. Three hundred meters.

"Hold fire."

This time he could hear the major speaking louder to the translator. A hint of concern had entered his voice. "...stop their advance immediately, or we will open fire."

The men on the field did not stop. As they approached, Chokwe began to make out details - the shape of their helmet covering their nose, the sharp blade of the spears. He gripped his rifle tighter and aimed down his sights at the man directly ahead of him.

"...final warning, by the authority of the United Nations, you are ordered to stop..."

Another round of arrows hit the line. This time Chokwe heard a scream of pain from his right. He forced himself to keep his eyes on the field. Behind the approaching infantry, a beat like thunder began and grew in volume and intensity, as thousands of horsemen assembled and began to trot, then run, then gallop, towards the line.

"Hold fire."

One hundred fifty meters. He saw pale faces and eyes and beards, and the loose chain of armor rustling over thick cloth below. The cries of the infantry, the increasingly close and loud rumble of the cavalry, and the beat of Chokwe's heart combined and grew into a cacophany.

Then, like a whisper over the noise, a voice from behind: "Clear to engage!"

In an instant, the sound was drowned by the roar of a hundred firearms. The line of spearmen folded as though hit by a wave, while the cavalry following were soon engulfed by explosions of smoke and fire from the mortars. Chokwe could barely steady his rifle, but the density of the Tzarfatians made it unnecessary. Within seconds, the charge had dissolved into a bloody, desperate flight, as the survivors threw their weapons and armor down to run, only to be cut down from behind. The cavalry, its bright reds and yellows whipping in the wind, continued forward into the storm, only to be cut down the same way, with the screams of horses and men melting together as they crashed into the ground.

In a matter of minutes, it was over. The army that remained on the far side of the field, peppered by mortar and rifle fire, fled in disarray, while the field itself was littered by a bloody mass of hundreds of corpses. As the firing petered out, then stopped, the ringing in Chokwe's ears faded.

Out of instinct, he loaded a new magazine, then looked around. Most of his comrades were wearing similarly disbelieving expressions as they looked down the field. The major was consulting with the comms man again. A moment passed. Then he turned away from Chokwe and began to walk back into the woods, speaking softly into the radio.

Chokwe's thoughts were interrupted again by the sergeant. "We're on the move! Mount up!" He stood up, took one final look at the mass of men and horse littered across the field, folded his shield, and began to jog back towards the trucks. As he did, he passed the major and translator one more time, and caught a snippet of conversation.

"...just like Kampuchea. What a disaster."

"I can translate, but I can't guarantee they'll understand. There isn't any word yet for 'United Nations Security Council' in the Normani dialect."

"I'm not blaming you. If anyone, it's Harald who put us in this position..."

"What now?"

"We broke it, now we're going to buy it. We go to Lundun. Our mission has changed, whether we want it or not, so now..."

Chokwe lost the conversation as he followed his group towards their truck. As he sat, the shock faded and the reality set in. He had survived! He had never been within spear-reach of a Frangistani warrior.

But what exactly had they done when they shattered that army? He had never had the interest to think much about the all-too-quick political briefing they had recieved before being shoved onto the boats. But there had been two or three contenders for leadership of Angater. As of today, at least two were dead, and the third was either dead on the field they were now pulling away from or had made himself an enemy of the United Nations. What would come next?

For the moment, Chokwe was too tired and relieved to care. He was just hoping wherever they were going had a warm meal.

A masterpiece like the rest of this series. I have some questions: what's the Year Zero of the calendar in use? From which languages is xanthean derived? How much the habitability of Mars has changed? I remember in the Caprisian Wars map it was shown that only the lowest parts of the planet are in habitable and the higher altitudes were only a place for adventurous caravans with a lot of equipment that tried alternative routes between other low altitude places. In this map it all seems so uniform, is it just ignoring the thing because it's not a map made to show lines of communication or has the situation changed?
Sorry, I missed this earlier. Year Zero is meant to be the date of initial colonization of the planet, which continued for ~100-200 years before the collapse of modern civilization. One of the concepts I'm playing with here is that the terraforming process is continuing naturally after the direct intervention stops as the biosphere develops, so the 'current' Death Zone would be substantially less extensive than it was in the Caprisian Wars, and the atmosphere in lower areas much soupier.

This is a choropleth series from the National Library of Scotland in a timeline where James VI never became King of England and the 1707 Act of Union never took place. Scotland remained independent, historically allied with nations like France, Aragon, and Norway.

Is this Kingdom of Burgundy TL readable somewhere, or is it not written down (yet)?

12-15-23.png

Almost done! All that's left is maritime Southeast Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, and Oceania. The next map I post on this thread will be the finished 2K-BAM of the world of... The Sidemoving! Fanfare, applause, etc. Please ask questions and leave feedback, I beg of you.

I see, thanks for sending that. I have this idea of doing a cover of one of the guides you either haven't done or did a long time ago. I'll dig through your gallery.

Great stuff, same as before.
At least the UNMIA is fortunate enough that there is a way through the leadership mess (in theory) as the Witangamot could still elect Edgar Ætheling.

Also, I haven't been able to figure out the origin of "Tzarfat".

I think it is Hebrew in origin referring to France. Someone in the Reddit comments said something like that.
It's the traditional Hebrew way of referring to France, assigning the name of a country from the Bible (almost definitely a different one, but Tzarfat has been used for France for probably at least 1000 years.

There was a brief discussion of the choice when the previous map (of France) was posted.