Map Thread XXII

Not sure if it was on here or a different site (I think the most likely offsite culprit would be one of the map subreddits, although it might have been on Deviantart), but does anyone remember seeing a map depicting a non-European Kerguelen Empire (referring to itself as Vo'chuk)? It didn't involve a raised Kerguelen plateau scenario, since the empire consisted solely of islands, and the Kerguelen civilization in the map became a maritime trading empire before declining after European contact.

I don't think that map in 1980 or 1985 is very different from November 1983. And probably there is not any difference between 1983 and 1985. With 1980 map there might are some differences regareding Caribbean and Oceania.

there might are some differences regareding Caribbean and Oceania.
Which would be pretty easy to independently verify anyway. If it's still coloured as a colony on the earlier map then simply check Wikipedia for the independence date and change it in the later map accordingly. The only other difference might be some vaguely defined frontlines in any ongoing conflicts.

No idea. :/
Consider the following;

How different is the map in November 1983 to that of 1980 or 1985? (Or whatever close year that already has a basemap)
The main differences in territorial and administrative changes from 1980 to 1985 that I have in mind are:
  • Until 18 April 1980 Zimbabwe was under temporary British control due to the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe situation
  • Until 30 July 1980 Vanuatu was a joint British-French condominium
  • Until 21 September 1981 Belize was a British colony
  • Until 1 November 1981 Antigua and Barbuda was a British colony
  • Until 19 September 1983 Saint Kitts and Nevis was a British colony
  • Until 1 January 1984 Brunei was a British protectorate

Last edited:
The main differences in territorial and administrative changes from 1980 to 1985 that I have in mind are:
  • Until 18 April 1980 Zimbabwe was under temporary British control due to the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe situation
  • Until 30 July 1980 Vanuatu was a joint British-French condominium
  • Until 21 September 1981 Belize was a British colony
  • Until 1 November 1981 Antigua and Barbuda was a British colony
  • Until 19 September 1983 Saint Kitts and Nevis was a British colony
  • Until 1 January 1984 Brunei was a British protectorate

The timeline starts on November 9, 1983 with the outbreak of World War III, so………….there’s that.

The timeline starts on November 9, 1983 with the outbreak of World War III, so………….there’s that.
So Brunei may technically remain a UK protectorate if either one still exists but probably only on paper because I've always assumed Britain = Threads in WW3 scenarios unless they're entirely removed from the equation somehow :p

Map for my defunct TL 'Made of Silver' in the year 2045.
Made of Silver Map.png

Last edited:
What's the gist of your idea here? :eek:
An invasion of the OTL present (2018 when I originally wrote the story) by the Cybermen from Doctor Who. After five years, massive ecological devastation, and billions of deaths, the humans wipe out the Cybermen and are forced to pick up the pieces. All the while lone cybermen retreat into the Arctic, the deep sea, the caves and hidden places, and plot the ultimate revenge...
Are Serbia and Croatia one country here?
The People's Republic of Serbo-Croatia with its capital city in Hvar.

Last edited:
An invasion of the OTL present (2018 when I originally wrote the story) gets invaded by the Cybermen from Doctor Who. After five years, massive ecological devastation, and billions of deaths, the humans wipe out the Cybermen and are forced to pick up the pieces. All the while lone cybermen retreat into the Arctic, the deep sea, the caves and hidden places, and plot the ultimate revenge...

The People's Republic of Serbo-Croatia with its capital city in Hvar.
Well I'm not knowledgeable about Doctor Who like at all, alas. What's up with California and Texas? And I take it Vladivostok is full of Han Chinese now? 'cause if I'm alive ITTL I'd be annoyed by that outcome lmao

Well I'm not knowledgeable about Doctor Who like at all, alas.
Cybermen are human brains put inside steel exoskeletons. They want to convert humans into other Cybermen. That's basically all you needed to know for the TL.
What's up with California and Texas?
California and Texas got overrun early on in the war and were turned into 'conversion zones' (essentially giant open air factories pumping out Cybermen). Both regions got depopulated during the fighting. Even two decades after the war there aren't a lot of people there so both areas are unincorporated territories.
And I take it Vladivostok is full of Han Chinese now? 'cause if I'm alive ITTL I'd be annoyed by that outcome lmao
Russia splintered into several successor states early on in the war after Moscow got nuked. China decided to send 'peacekeepers' into Eastern Siberia. And yeah, you'd probably be right to be pissed off, since the China ITTL saw a Maoist revival...

Cybermen are human brains put inside steel exoskeletons. They want to convert humans into other Cybermen. That's basically all you needed to know for the TL.

California and Texas got overrun early on in the war and were turned into 'conversion zones' (essentially giant open air factories pumping out Cybermen). Both regions got depopulated during the fighting. Even two decades after the war there aren't a lot of people there so both areas are unincorporated territories.

Russia splintered into several successor states early on in the war after Moscow got nuked. China decided to send 'peacekeepers' into Eastern Siberia. And yeah, you'd probably be right to be pissed off, since the China ITTL saw a Maoist revival...
I'd be shooting so many people its making me get chills but yay its fantasy P:

Map for my defunct TL 'Made of Silver' in the year 2045.
View attachment 863041
LA did surprisingly well, considering that it would be so desirable a target, st least compared to San Diego being filled with military bases. Or am I missing it and it is Orange County that is safe? God bless you Walt Disney, you and your Imagineers did it again. We promise to save your head from the space collectors. And a shame England lost so many people in their south, but I guess the negatives are offset with the population dip past their North. Really surprising the zdutch aren’t in the Zebulon here, given they should need to know to evacuate since their are aliens in this world who attack in cinematic manners. Meaning a need to evacuate to higher ground when the aliens blow up the dikes. Ahhh eight, Cybermen. I was thinking Daley’s. Yah, I can see why they were waiting on LA. Get the rest of the coast first. That, or there cost of land for facilities was too high in LA.

LA did surprisingly well, considering that it would be so desirable a target, st least compared to San Diego being filled with military bases. Or am I missing it and it is Orange County that is safe? God bless you Walt Disney, you and your Imagineers did it again.
The enclave is a reconstructed City of LA, the vanguard of the US recolonization effort. The City of Angels got wiped clean in the first days of the war.
And a shame England lost so many people in their south, but I guess the negatives are offset with the population dip past their North.
Things were pretty bloody what with massive populations that got overrun early on. After the war steady re-population of the south with northerners began (finally getting revenge for the Harrying). There's a Neo-Luddite State (light green) waging a successful insurgency in the Thames Valley.
Really surprising the zdutch aren’t in the Zebulon here, given they should need to know to evacuate since their are aliens in this world who attack in cinematic manners. Meaning a need to evacuate to higher ground when the aliens blow up the dikes.
There's so few Dutch left that when the Western European Federation's (big blue power in WE) tanks come rolling across the border there will be few people left to oppose them, and even fewer who actually care to.
Ahhh eight, Cybermen. I was thinking Daley’s. Yah, I can see why they were waiting on LA. Get the rest of the coast first. That, or there cost of land for facilities was too high in LA.
I did consider having a faction called The Sentinels...

Last edited:
So Brunei may technically remain a UK protectorate if either one still exists but probably only on paper because I've always assumed Britain = Threads in WW3 scenarios unless they're entirely removed from the equation somehow :p

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Britain still exists, but it’s NOT quite that simple on this specific case. To be honest.

My submission for MotF 283:
(mild, mid-book spoilers for Project Hail Mary)

In Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, present-day Earth is faced with an unprecedented crisis. A space-borne bacteria species, quickly designated “astrophage”, has been discovered in our solar system. The astrophage bacteria are perfect absorbers of light, and they have begun to grow in the light of the sun. They reproduce quickly and soon have measurably reduced the luminosity of the sun. According to the models, the Earth's temperature will fall to Snowball-Earth levels in just a few decades.

The astrophage bacteria are found to not only be perfect absorbers of light, but also perfect energy storage systems. Under the relentless pressure of billions of years of evolution among the stars, astrophage bacteria facilitate biological reactions which appear as energetic as matter-antimatter reactions. Thus, these bacteria (after having their fill of sunlight) can be used as the perfect rocket fuel, capable of sending craft to other star systems in just a few years.

This is fortunate. Astronomers discover that all of the sun's neighbors are exhibiting the same decrease in luminosity consistent with the astrophage “infection”... except one: Tau Ceti. For reasons unknown, Tau Ceti is as bright as ever. Three astronauts are sent out (willingly or not) to investigate and hopefully bring back an antidote to cleanse the solar system of the astrophage infection.

Meanwhile, the people of Earth will have to wait at least 26 years for the ship to arrive at Tau Ceti and bring back whatever solution is found. How can humanity survive on an ever-colder Earth for 26 years?

In the book, former ESA Director Eva Stratt is given unprecedented powers to keep civilization running during the wait. Among her first acts is to detonate countless nuclear weapons in the Antarctic to release methane in undersea clathrate deposits, warming the Earth by a few degrees.

In my work, I assume the work of Eva Stratt continued. In my map, you can read about some of the methods she used and challenges she faced.

Timeline:
2021 - the Astrophage is discovered (same year as the publication of the book)
2025 - the Hail Mary is launched to Tau Ceti
2038 - the Hail Mary arrives at Tau Ceti. Solution to Astrophage is found
2051 - Samples of Astrophage predator organism “Taumoeba” arrive back at Earth

xgM1VYm.png