Map Thread XXII

Maps of the Republic of Bangladesh and the eastern part of the Indian Subcontinent [1985]
image.png

While the overall plight of the Rohingyas were avoided with Rakhine being handed over to Pakistan instead of Burma during its independence, the colonialist oppression by the West Pakistanis on the Bengali people yet remained. Bangladesh declared independence by 1971. By November, seeing their fortunes running out, Pakistani forces made a dash for Sylhet, where a sizeable loyalist population remained.
By December, almost all of the country except the Sylhet division ended up in the hands of the Bangladeshi Liberation Forces. A UN brokered ceasefire, which was coupled in with the Sino-Indian Ceasefire, halted all efforts to take Sylhet, and established an air corridor for Pakistan to keep supplying its occupation of the region.
However, with an Islamist coup in Pakistan, and supplies yet dwindling down by 1973, the Pakistani Administration in Sylhet has taken some rather outlandish measures.
Sylhet as of 1985 serves as a textbook model of what the Pakistani Army intended to do in Bangladesh in case of their victory. Most of the native Sylhetis are enslaved, cultivating the drug economy in the old tea fields, or making weapons. The old Sylheti and Bengali languages are now rather dead in public life as well, with the Pakistani Administration in Sylhet(<who now call themselves the Provisional Govt. of East Pakistan) making sure to wipe out all aspects of the native language and culture in the region.
image.png

As of 1985, Pakistan and Bangladesh are still in an official state of war. With Bangladesh unwilling to forge peace until Pakistan officially withdraws its unorthodox presence from Sylhet, and also return the body of the nation's founding father, as well as rightfully elected leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

Last edited:
Is there a reason why the EU has a lot of ... non European nations? I mean, it's one thing to have like French Senegal included since France is there... but South Vietnam, Australia, Eritrea?!

Looks like a greater alt-Francosphere and alt-Commonwealth that's fully integrated with the EU (same with the Russian and Portuguese empires).
Yes, Cochinchina is part of France, and independent countries outside of Europe that are part of the EU are countries that are in personal union with a European country.

I ended-up making this as a side project that came about from main one I'm working on.

Some Notes:

There are few 'National Currencies' not tied (the term pegged has fallen out of use ITTL) in some way to World Currencies or Regional Currencies, some examples being the Falkland Pound Sterling being tied to the North American Dollar at a rate of $1 to £5 or the Central Asian Tangri which is tied in such a way that it sits at the half way point between the exchange rates of the Euro and Renminbi.

2. Roughly half of the countries with 'National Currencies' will accept near-by currencies, though not recognizing them as official currency, some examples being N'zere which allows the usage of the East African Shilling, Eco and Southern African Florin alongside its own sole official currency or Panama which allows the usage of the N.A. Dollar and Euro.

3. There are a few cases of de facto (and thus not shown) currency unions, the main examples being Australia and New Zealand which, while retaining their own separate currencies, have them permanently tied so that AU$1 is always equal to NZ$1 and the countries of the Union of the Maghreb, who's currencies only exist separately in the most technical of manners, having been permanently tied at a 1 to 1 rate with each other for decades and all being under the ultimate jurisdiction of the Bank of the Maghreb.

4. Antarctica is not technically a nation or state (being a sui generis devolved U.N. Territory), though it does have its own currency, the Antarctic Antares (₳).

5. As a result of the relatively few currencies in the world and the large majority of the worlds polities being covered by one of the twelve major currencies as well as the way economies have evolved exchange rates tend to say pretty stable, for example between 2080-2120 the rate between the Euro and N.A. Dollar has stayed in a band 0.7-1.1, likewise the rate between the Renminbi and Euro has stayed between €1 to ¥5-7; the currencies that tend to see the largest fluctuations are those with few ties such as the New Iranian Rial (NR), Venezuelan Bolívar (BFV) or Thai Baht (฿), and even then not by the drastic swings that happened throughout earlier history.

6. While physical currency does still exist for many currencies such as the N.A. Dollar, Pasio, Eco and Ruble, the large majority of transactions are done digitally and other currencies like the Euro, Renminbi, Dinnar al'Ummah and Japanese Yen are completely digital with no legal physical form.

7. While the idea of an eventual World Currency does exist, by the time of the map it's mostly academic, with some support in some places, and opposition in others, but mostly apathy among the general world population, though as history has shown, things can and do change over time.

View attachment 843980
I don't usually see a lot of alternate history currency maps. This is good!

Maps of the Republic of Bangladesh and the eastern part of the Indian Subcontinent [1985]
image.png

While the overall plight of the Rohingyas were avoided with Burma being handed over to Pakistan during its independence, the colonialist oppression by the West Pakistanis on the Bengali people yet remained. Bangladesh declared independence by 1971. By November, seeing their fortunes running out, Pakistani forces made a dash for Sylhet, where a sizeable loyalist population remained.
By December, almost all of the country except the Sylhet division ended up in the hands of the Bangladeshi Liberation Forces. A UN brokered ceasefire, which was coupled in with the Sino-Indian Ceasefire, halted all efforts to take Sylhet, and established an air corridor for Pakistan to keep supplying its occupation of the region.
However, with an Islamist coup in Pakistan, and supplies yet dwindling down by 1973, the Pakistani Administration in Sylhet has taken some rather outlandish measures.
Sylhet as of 1985 serves as a textbook model of what the Pakistani Army intended to do in Bangladesh in case of their victory. Most of the native Sylhetis are enslaved, cultivating the drug economy in the old tea fields, or making weapons. The old Sylheti and Bengali languages are now rather dead in public life as well, with the Pakistani Administration in Sylhet(<who now call themselves the Provisional Govt. of East Pakistan) making sure to wipe out all aspects of the native language and culture in the region.
image.png

As of 1985, Pakistan and Bangladesh are still in an official state of war. With Bangladesh unwilling to forge peace until Pakistan officially withdraws its unorthodox presence from Sylhet, and also return the body of the nation's founding father.
What's up with Tripura?

I am honestly a little tired of all these reposts from reddit. There is more reposts of other peoples' maps on this thread than original work and it's always the same couple of accounts. I almost feels like spam but not quite.

People never used to post others' work on here so I guess I'm just not used to it.

I'm tempted to ask to introduce a rule against it but ofc that's just my preference so I'm curious to hear what other people think.

Last edited:
I am honestly sick and tired of all these reposts from reddit. There is more reposts of other peoples' maps on this thread than original work and it's always the same couple of accounts. It verges on spam.

What's the point of posting someone else's work? That never used to happen on here.

I honestly think we should introduce a rule against it but ofc that's not up to me so I'm curious to hear what other people think.
As someone who has done it, I've only done it because there are maps that I feel should get more exposure. And to introduce people to different concepts that they may not have considered.

I personally never saw anything wrong with it as long as credit is given where it's due.

As someone who has done it, I've only done it because there are maps that I feel should get more exposure. And to introduce people to different concepts that they may not have considered.

I personally never saw anything wrong with it as long as credit is given where it's due.
I'm sure everyone does it with the good intention of showing off cool maps, perhaps I was too harsh in my wording & you're certainly not breaking any current site rules. I didn't want to hurt peoples' feelings. I think I just always saw the map thread as a place for original content. I'm still seeing good maps so I suppose as a viewer of the thread my experience is, on an objective level, nothing but improved by these maps but on a subjective level I just personally am not a fan. This in part is why I kept quiet about it, it's not objectively bad, it just happens not to float my boat. This is why I wanted to see what other map thread viewers thought about it.

I'll also soften the tone in the original message because I didn't want to be mean and hurtful and perhaps was.

Last edited:
I'm sure everyone does it with the good intention of showing off cool maps, perhaps I was too harsh in my wording & you're certainly not breaking any current site rules. I didn't want to hurt peoples' feelings. I think I just always saw the map thread as a place for original content. I'm still seeing good maps so I suppose as a viewer of the thread my experience is, on an objective level, nothing but improved by these maps but on a subjective level I just personally am not a fan. This in part is why I kept quiet about it, it's not objectively bad, it just happens not to float my boat. This is why I wanted to see what other map thread viewers thought about it.

I'll also soften the tone in the original message because I didn't want to be mean and hurtful and perhaps was.
Maybe it’s just me but for those who can’t make maps reposting others’ with credit is the closest we can to contribute.

I understand exactly how you feel dude, I don't have a laptop or desktop computer where I can use MS Paint and make maps like I used to so I'm kinda reduced to posting the ones I managed to save on my dA account when I feel confident enough to do so (or when I see maps on Twitter that I figure you guys would find neat and appreciate seeing if you haven't before) o:

Maybe it’s just me but for those who can’t make maps reposting others’ with credit is the closest we can to contribute.
Anybody can make a map. And if a map isn't yours, it's not your place to give it more exposure or not; the original author might want to post it here and see what kind of reaction it gets, or they might not want to post it here at all.

Anybody can make a map. And if a map isn't yours, it's not your place to give it more exposure or not; the original author might want to post it here and see what kind of reaction it gets, or they might not want to post it here at all.
If it's already public then I assume that there'd be no harm posting it here. Does it really make a difference? And besides people have liked them.

If it's already public then I assume that there'd be no harm posting it here. Does it really make a difference? And besides people have liked them.
If they didn't ask you to post it here then yes, I think it makes a difference. If you really like a map, you can just tell the person who made it and I'm sure they'll find it encouraging. If you found the setting particularly inspired and want to share it, you can make your own map and post it yourself. Taking someone's map and just posting it somewhere else to me seems lazy at best, rude and deceitful at worst.

If they didn't ask you to post it here then yes, I think it makes a difference. If you really like a map, you can just tell the person who made it and I'm sure they'll find it encouraging. If you found the setting particularly inspired and want to share it, you can make your own map and post it yourself. Taking someone's map and just posting it somewhere else to me seems lazy at best, rude and deceitful at worst.
I made sure to give credit every single time rather than claim it was my own because I'm not selfish or stupid to lie about it. And you assume that I had some selfish purpose doing what I did which I did not. I understand posting someone else's work can be problematic if done horribly, but I really don't appreciate being accused of unethical choices here when I had no selfish intention behind my actions. People have reposted others work (and gave credit to where it's due) before on this site and I assumed that it was acceptable here. It feels like I'm being targeted here for no good reason.

I am honestly a little tired of all these reposts from reddit. There is more reposts of other peoples' maps on this thread than original work and it's always the same couple of accounts. I almost feels like spam but not quite.

People never used to post others' work on here so I guess I'm just not used to it.

I'm tempted to ask to introduce a rule against it but ofc that's just my preference so I'm curious to hear what other people think.
I agree plus a lot of these reddit maps violate the butterfly effect to a ridiculous degree. Pharaonic Egypt survives but Christianity, Islam, SAUDI Arabia exist? Turkey has OTL border in Anatolia? Cyprus is split between Turks and Greeks? Yeah, okay bro, totally suspended my disbelief there.