Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo what's up dogs, it's ya boi Weimarsimp69 today with another brilliant and original idea. What if Germany but big? Like sheesh on God on God low key this brilliant and original map do be bussin 100% respectfully. Ok, enough of the brain cancer talk. :p
Big Weimar MBAMv2.png

But yeah, it's basically a big Weimar, based on some sea reclamation plans and referendums that either didn't took place or ended different in OTL. With the states being more arranged based on how I would personally do it. Just a rather low effort MBAM map with some nice colours and map border. The colours of the states I have chosen are very carefully based on how the dear Wikipedia user Ziegelbrenner uses on his Germany maps.

Does anyone still remember polandball?
I took this nice history of Europe...

...and continued it into the future.

Combined:
kinda sad honestly I was hoping civilisation would restart after what appears to be the apocalypse but nah things regress into primitivism.

Also god damn what the hell have the Israelis been up to

kinda sad honestly I was hoping civilisation would restart after what appears to be the apocalypse but nah things regress into primitivism.

I'm sure civilisation would come back eventually. We already been through a few apocalypses beforehand like the Late Bronze And Collapse.

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'

Also what happened to former Russia? Turkicised?

Reindustrialize is definitely a big problem, but I could see us reaching some end of the Middle Ages/beginnings of Renaissance period again.
To be honest, we could live pretty decently with a early modern tech base but modern knowledge of sanitation and stuff like that. Still a large downgrade compared to today, but a lot better than the directly comparable time period.

To be honest, we could live pretty decently with a early modern tech base but modern knowledge of sanitation and stuff like that. Still a large downgrade compared to today, but a lot better than the directly comparable time period.

Honestly if civilization collapse I see our descendants becoming techno-barbarians not a true loss of technology. Post-Roman Europe and MENA was far less complex and far poorer than the Roman Empire, but their technology was not behind the Romans, in fact it was to large extent more advanced, they just lacked the institutions to built on the scale the Romans did.

df7onhr-55d8c9f7-c90e-4fea-a65a-233581a046f4.png

This one was pretty quick and dirty and came from a lot of requests: the state of Chicagoland... and figuring out what constituted "Chicagoland" was a pain, as its all statistical areas, and metro areas and layers of "what feels like Chicago.

This is also the first new state that I made that includes chunks of neighboring states.

Source: https://www.deviantart.com/ynot1989/art/State-of-Chicagoland-919900143
Unfortunately your map puts Hammond on the Illinois side, but otherwise good map!

Does anyone still remember polandball?
I took this nice history of Europe...

...and continued it into the future.

Combined:
This is amazing worldbuilding; please tell me that you'll post it to the Polandball subreddit. And if you don't mind, I have quite a few questions.

The post-civil war Germany of 2064 added a peace symbol to the flag, so are they a pacifist/left-wing faction? What is the third German faction (black flag with three diagonal stripes), next to the anarchists and feminists? Also interesting is how the peace crest had already been removed again by 2082 - implying that the defaced peace flag represents a victorious provisional government, which then restored the Federal Republic?

Transhumanist Franco-German union against bioconservative Turkey is obvious enough (by the way, post-war technobarbarians roaming across the ruins of former transhumanist states is a lovely touch), but what I really want to know is what happened to Scandinavia between 2299 and 2522. Looks like they either became techno-hiveminds or AI-governed states, and not only survived the nuclear war but unified into a single entity by 2400, spreading their governance model across Northern Europe over the next century - only for catastrophe to strike in 2522, as the Scandinavians and their allied transhumanist polities simply dropped dead en masse from a solar flare's electromagnetic pulse. Even more basic electronics were also crippled by the EMP, putting a nail into the coffin of civilisation in a way that not even the 2299 war managed. Did I get most of that right?

The progression from 2760 onward is a puzzle - what could have caused civilisation to continuously decline from that point on? If the warring states of 2760 had been reduced to muskets and swords, that should have been enough to establish a new civilisational equilibrium; even with resource depletion, maintaining 17th-century technology should have been possible, thanks to the vastly-lowered population. Instead, we have a slow and painful decline over two thousand years, from feudal kingdoms to iron-age empires to primitive tribes by 5000; what was the deciding factor enabling this decline?

Last edited:
While I was working on my UTC-02:00 time zone ISOT map, I found the story of James Harden-Hickey who in 1893 claimed the island of Trindade in the South Atlantic and proclaimed himself as Prince James I of Trinidad. Harden-Hickey designed postage stamps, a chivalric order and a coat of arms for Trinidad and intended to rule it as an independent nation with himself as monarch/military dictator. However rather diplomatic recognition and a stream of eager pioneers, Harden-Hickey's plans were met with ridicule and he sadly killed himself in 1898. Trindade was incorporated into Brazil in 1897.

I included a reference to James Harden-Hickey in the UTC-02:00 map, but I also wanted to make one of the Principality of Trinidad if Harden-Hickey's plans had been successful and his country had received recognition. The map is in the style of u/Alagremm's wonderful microstate maps over on Reddit.

View attachment 751521
That's a pretty good cover of the style!
I once considered making one for Hamid Karzai International Airport as the rump state of Afghanistan, but thought it was too recent.

Are France and Germany cloning/"producing" humans to combat the overaging or what's going on with those green DNA-strands?
Yes. Though more "producing" than cloning. Basically they switched to wholly artificial and scalable reproduction via vats to combat depopulation and infertility, which later became a "gateway drug" leading to transhumanism.
Also god damn what the hell have the Israelis been up
Dominating their neighbors technologically, economically, and demographically.
Also what happened to former Russia? Turkicised?
Yes.
a little confused as to why there is what appears to be a re-united Yugoslavia in there. How exactly did that happen?
By the time it happened it was almost 200 years since the collapse of Yugoslavia, so the mutual hatred between Serbs and Croats mostly subsided. And a common enemy (Turkey and its puppets) tends to unite.
This is amazing worldbuilding; please tell me that you'll post it to the Polandball subreddit. And if you don't mind, I have quite a few questions
Thanks for the praise. I'm not on Reddit, but you (or anyone) can post it there if you want.
The post-civil war Germany of 2064 added a peace symbol to the flag, so are they a pacifist/left-wing faction? What is the third German faction (black flag with three diagonal stripes), next to the anarchists and feminists? Also interesting is how the peace crest had already been removed again by 2082
Germany in 2064 is like a turbo-libleft rogue state. In the turbulent 2040s various populists were taking power all over the West. In most countries it was right-wingers who held it, but in Germany it happened to be "SJW" type leftists. By 2082 their regime collapsed and Germany became ~center-right like the rest of Europe.
Looks like they either became techno-hiveminds or AI-governed states, and not only survived the nuclear war but unified into a single entity by 2400, spreading their governance model across Northern Europe over the next century - only for catastrophe to strike in 2522, as the Scandinavians and their allied transhumanist polities simply dropped dead en masse from a solar flare's electromagnetic pulse. Even more basic electronics were also crippled by the EMP, putting a nail into the coffin of civilisation in a way that not even the 2299 war managed. Did I get most of that right?
Yes.
Reindustrialize is definitely a big problem, but I could see us reaching some end of the Middle Ages/beginnings of Renaissance period again.
Honestly if civilization collapse I see our descendants becoming techno-barbarians not a true loss of technology. Post-Roman Europe and MENA was far less complex and far poorer than the Roman Empire, but their technology was not behind the Romans, in fact it was to large extent more advanced, they just lacked the institutions to built on the scale the Romans did.
The progression from 2760 onward is a puzzle - what could have caused civilisation to continuously decline from that point on? If the warring states of 2760 had been reduced to muskets and swords, that should have been enough to establish a new civilisational equilibrium; even with resource depletion, maintaining 17th-century technology should have been possible, thanks to the vastly-lowered population. Instead, we have a slow and painful decline over two thousand years, from feudal kingdoms to iron-age empires to primitive tribes b
After the flare killed most of Scandinavia's population people became superstitious of technology. This and the memory of the 2300s war combined to form this consensus in culture that progress is bad and leads to all kinds of catastrophies. Humanity was sort of "traumatized". Any attempts to reinvent stuff would bring forth the tales of death and destruction. This seeped into major religions, and boom - progress is basically taboo for thousands of years.
And between the last three frames there was several unrelated (mostly climatic) collapses that just kind of nailed the coffin of civilization, at least in Europe.
(But mostly I just wanted there to be a "cyclical" theme, like everything would return to more or less where it started).

Yes. Though more "producing" than cloning. Basically they switched to wholly artificial and scalable reproduction via vats to combat depopulation and infertility, which later became a "gateway drug" leading to transhumanism.

Dominating their neighbors technologically, economically, and demographically.

Yes.

By the time it happened it was almost 200 years since the collapse of Yugoslavia, so the mutual hatred between Serbs and Croats mostly subsided. And a common enemy (Turkey and its puppets) tends to unite.

Thanks for the praise. I'm not on Reddit, but you (or anyone) can post it there if you want.

Germany in 2064 is like a turbo-libleft rogue state. In the turbulent 2040s various populists were taking power all over the West. In most countries it was right-wingers who held it, but in Germany it happened to be "SJW" type leftists. By 2082 their regime collapsed and Germany became ~center-right like the rest of Europe.

Yes.

After the flare killed most of Scandinavia's population people became superstitious of technology. This and the memory of the 2300s war combined to form this consensus in culture that progress is bad and leads to all kinds of catastrophies. Humanity was sort of "traumatized". Any attempts to reinvent stuff would bring forth the tales of death and destruction. This seeped into major religions, and boom - progress is basically taboo for thousands of years.
And between the last three frames there was several unrelated (mostly climatic) collapses that just kind of nailed the coffin of civilization, at least in Europe.
(But mostly I just wanted there to be a "cyclical" theme, like everything would return to more or less where it started).
What about Asia and North America?

How about the aliens?

What about 6000 to 8000 AD?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.