Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.png

I decided to practice Inkscape and make another map of my potential new states, this time focusing not on a new state, but an existing state with a change of borders. New York, admitted to the Union in 1788 has long been divided between its metropolitan core and its geographically far larger northern region. While there have been many suggested names for an independent upstate, in this map I'm limiting it to what New York would look like without its more rural Upstate.

Thanks to all my Patreon supporters who made this map possible. All my patrons get early access to my projects before they go live. Please subscribe at: patreon.com/SeanMcKnight

White Plains is missing the "s" in the name.

I thought that in this scenario where the city and the state would functionally be the same thing, the boroughs would be dissolved and become independent counties/cities again.

Depending on when this occurred the naming might be a bit different for the Bronx. OTL, the Bronx was originally part of Westchester County (including the county's namesake town) but as the city expanded north the western half of what is now the Bronx was annexed into NYC. The Eastern half was annexed into the city as part of the consolidation of 1898 with the rest of the boroughs. ITTL I think and independent city of the Bronx might be called "Morrisania" or "Westchester" after one of the towns that it formed from. It could also still be called the Bronx to though.

The Clone Wars one day before the Battle of Utapau
d7w5hxZ.png

The end of the war is near!
The brave GRAND ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC and their mighty JEDI GENERALS prepare to hunt down the evil GENERAL GRIEVOUS. Once General OBI-WAN KENOBI kills that monster in his lair in the UTAPAU system, peace will finally return to the GALAXY.
On the galactic capital, CORUSCANT, the hidden Dark Lord DARTH SIDIOUS prepares to close the trap around the JEDI ORDER and the CHOSEN ONE ANAKIN SKYWALKER who, haunted by visions concerning the death of his wife PADME AMIDALA, finds himself on the brink of the abyss.

Happy 4th May!
What about the droid attack on the Wookies?

I think it would make more sense to reverse the state names: New York for Upstate, and New Amsterdam for the City - don't see why the latter name should be given to an area specifically excluding the original New Amsterdam. Either that or keep the New York name for the City, but rename Upstate to New Netherland - the original Dutch province in which New Amsterdam was the capital of.
New Amsterdam is the name New Yorkers gave to a proposed autonomous region within the state that includes the exact borders I've shown in here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_Region

Or Adirondack, or Niagara, or Erie (as in both the lake or the canal).
Erie is Pennsylvanian, it has nothing to do with New York.
"As in both the lake or the canal."

The canal is a pretty big deal in upstate New York history and how that part of the state developed. It runs the length of the state from Albany to Buffalo, and it's a big reason why the city of Buffalo even exists.

Hey folks! Working on the next update for my timeline (see signature), focused on Brazil and a more violent breakup of the Brazilian Empire about a decade earlier than occurred IOTL. This will, as far as I have planned now but I'm open to changing this as I conduct more research, a Brazil carved up into three parts: a continuing Empire of Brazil (not under the House of Braganza) that exists as a constitutional monarchy supporting gradual emancipation, backed by France; a full-on liberal Brazilian Republic supporting full-on abolition, backed by the British; and an authoritarian pro-slavery Kingdom of Brazil, backed by no one (though Argentina hopes to gobble it up, at least in part). These borders are roughly based on the borders of Brazilian departments within the OTL Empire of Brazil. The Republic takes, roughly, Maranhao, Piaui, Bahia, Ceara, Rio Grande do Norte, Paraiba, Pernambuco, Alagoas, and Sergipe; the Kingdom takes Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Parana, Sao Paulo, and a small southern portion of Mato Grosso; the remaining Empire takes roughly everything else. This isn't going to be the fate of Brazil forever, just at the conclusion of this chapter. I am open to revising this, especially as I have yet to write exactly how this comes about; these are just my thoughts after some research and fiddling with maps.

View attachment 737856
What is kingdom of Brazil?

Just a quick thought-experiment I threw together:
Maximum The Imperialism: Earth controlled by as few countries as possible

Rules:
1. The final empires are only allowed to own territory that they historically controlled
2. In case of competing claims, the country with the most recent historical control is granted priority

"Historical control" includes not just immediate sovereignty, but also colonies, puppet regimes, and other protectorates of limited independence, but not necessarily military occupations.

Methodology:
Because of rule 1, the "mandatory" countries are the ones which hold territory that has never been held by any other. This list is:
UK, because of Caribbean and Pacific Islands
France, because of Pacific Islands
Netherlands, because of Caribbean islands
Sweden, because of Uppland
Russia, because of Siberia
Japan, because mainland Japan

Those countries get maximum claims, then I follow up on remaining countries based on which ones share the most common overlords. So the next to add is Spain and Portugal.
Furthermore, Spain and Portugal could theoretically be combined into the Iberian Union, since at the time of the Iberian Union, Portugal already claimed the territories of their colonies, this indirect spanish control does not violate rule 1.
Next is the Turkish Empire, consolidating what is left of the middle east and Greece, and Italian East Africa, combining Ethiopia and Somalia.
The remaining independent countries are Belgian Congo, Liberia, Thailand, China.
Belgian Congo could remain its own entity, or it could just be handed over to Netherlands, since the Netherlands own Belgium anyway, but this could arguably violate rule 1.
For the rest, combining them with other territories would necessitate reviving a country that is already gone anyway, which does not decrease the total number of countries left.

The result is this:

never-base4.png

Last edited:
You can view the image in higher quality on my DeviantArt. Click the image to go there.​
Languages_Septentrean_AH.jpg
So this is the next language map to come out of the Sprouting from Babel series I'm doing for Atlas Altera. To read more about Atlas Altera, see the website (which we've worked hard to update in the last little while). This one is for the prevailing languages of the continent I call Septentrea.

There's not too much alt-geo here except a few minor islands off the Pacific, a slightly exaggerated Haida Gwaii and Vancouver Island, oh and the Olympic Peninsula being made into its own island. Links to each OTL language referenced by the ISO-639 codes on this map are in the description of the Deviantart post. I will be making a couple changes to Nicaragua in the near future, as I'm collaborating with a Nahuatl-speaker, so expect a re-post with the minor (to the eyes) but juicy details completely re-scrambled.

Support this kind of content:
To access in-depth lore and footnotes (such as the spreadsheet of detailed linguistics information/data that goes with this map), or to download a high resolution print-quality version join the Patreon! Your funds will go to supporting me as well as other collaborators of the project.

More content:
I'm doing backstage-style discussions for this project with my friend, which you can watch on YouTube and or listen on Anchor/Spotify. For general context on this project, go to www.atlasaltera.com. Otherwise, please join the community around this project on r/AtlasAltera or Discord (link in the subreddit).

Well I had an idea for a sequel to a mod for Command & Conquer Red Alert 3: Corona*.
*-this project started in 2011 so they had no idea the virus was going to happen, It's only named that for the corona of the sun because it introduces the Celestial Empire as a new faction to play with.
Anyway I was wondering if someone could help me with adding lakes to the American south west as results for a terraforming project and the filling the Caspian Sea to sea level to boost fertility in these regions. I've been having trouble finding the right map for both of these to be overlaid properly. The sequel to Corona is called Eclipse and adds 2 factions to the war, The Crescent Caliphate** and the South American Federation.

**The Crescent Caliphate was created by a time travel event by the defeated Celestial Empire against the Allies. By going to the Crusades and giving the both sides more advanced weapons against one another in hopes to wipe each other out but ended up creating a new superpower nation of the Middle East. They are basically like the GLA and have the same symbol but use better advanced technology but they don't use the ridiculous units they had and actually have a form of government that's coherent mix of Baathism, Theocratic Monarchism, and some Liberalism like women's equality, able to join the army, wear appropriate (non-flashy) clothing, and stuff like that but that's about it. They are Green.

The technology level of this world is a mixed bag but still advanced for their time period (around 2000 to 2010 range) for everyone.

The South American Federation was a side effect of time traveling too much into the past which was accidentally created on it's own as a result of being constantly used by the Allies and Soviets for proxy wars as a distraction for experimental weapons testing, they found out and rebelled against both powers and have an unholy alliance with the Caliphate. They are based on the a new version of the Foehn Revolt but a mix of the Iberian Inquisition based designs for several of their units. I say the Foehn like revolt was bound to happen no matter what we did to the timeline it was inevitable as time marches on. They are Purple as it represents the Allied and Soviet technology being mixed together and improved in this faction as well.

Due to advancing technology a little faster it fused the Renaissance and Industrial ages which lead to earlier global warming hence the lakes were created to counter act sea level rise, Make more fertile land to inhabit and farm, and to use a bartering chip to the Caliphate by the Allies like having a carrot over an animal's head, but that all stopped when the SAF took over the weather control satellite network called Project Ouranos. Which in doing so the Caliphate and the Federation now go to war against both the Allies and Soviets to liberate the lands they took from the Caliphate and Expand the Federation to the rest of the Americas. After that they will go their separate ways unless some familiar mysterious figure returns to sow the seeds of chaos again. Peace Through Power after all. Also a slight side effect of messing with space-time some parts of Northern Africa depressurized causing some locations to flood into new gulfs known as the Chots sea and Gulf of Sidra connected to the inland Qattara Sea was connected to the Nile river which made Ancient Egypt more maritime trade like and expanded down river there as well but not significant enough to effect modern politics. The reestablished Saharan Lakes are more recent history by the terraforming project.

The Map didn't fit so I'll just send the link: https://www.deviantart.com/primordial-creation/art/Red-Alert-3-Eclipse-Map-Wip-915196609

I based the Sahara lakes off of this map: https://www.deviantart.com/ynot1989/art/Seas-of-the-Sahara-605599101

The link to the original Western United States lakes map: https://www.deviantart.com/kantiacartography/art/Great-Lakes-of-the-Pleistocene-577273468

Greater Caspian Sea map reference: https://www.deviantart.com/mobiyuz/art/The-Greater-Caspian-Sea-882038256

Attachments

• great_lakes_of_the_pleistocene_by_kantiacartography_d9joz24-fullview.jpg
    great_lakes_of_the_pleistocene_by_kantiacartography_d9joz24-fullview.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Just a quick thought-experiment I threw together:
Maximum The Imperialism: Earth controlled by as few countries as possible

Rules:
1. The final empires are only allowed to own territory that they historically controlled
2. In case of competing claims, the country with the most recent historical control is granted priority

"Historical control" includes not just immediate sovereignty, but also colonies, puppet regimes, and other protectorates of limited independence, but not necessarily military occupations.

Methodology:
Because of rule 1, the "mandatory" countries are the ones which hold territory that has never been held by any other. This list is:
UK, because of Caribbean and Pacific Islands
France, because of Pacific Islands
Netherlands, because of Caribbean islands
Sweden, because of Uppland
Russia, because of Siberia
Japan, because mainland Japan

Those countries get maximum claims, then I follow up on remaining countries based on which ones share the most common overlords. So the next to add is Spain and Portugal.
Furthermore, Spain and Portugal could theoretically be combined into the Iberian Union, since at the time of the Iberian Union, Portugal already claimed the territories of their colonies, this indirect spanish control does not violate rule 1.
Next is the Turkish Empire, consolidating what is left of the middle east and Greece, and Italian East Africa, combining Ethiopia and Somalia.
The remaining independent countries are Belgian Congo, Liberia, Thailand, China.
Belgian Congo could remain its own entity, or it could just be handed over to Netherlands, since the Netherlands own Belgium anyway, but this could arguably violate rule 1.
For the rest, combining them with other territories would necessitate reviving a country that is already gone anyway, which does not decrease the total number of countries left.

The result is this:

View attachment 739176
Gross; China should at least rule SE Asia, not France

You can view the image in higher quality on my DeviantArt. Click the image to go there.​
View attachment 739202
So this is the next language map to come out of the Sprouting from Babel series I'm doing for Atlas Altera. To read more about Atlas Altera, see the website (which we've worked hard to update in the last little while). This one is for the prevailing languages of the continent I call Septentrea.

There's not too much alt-geo here except a few minor islands off the Pacific, a slightly exaggerated Haida Gwaii and Vancouver Island, oh and the Olympic Peninsula being made into its own island. Links to each OTL language referenced by the ISO-639 codes on this map are in the description of the Deviantart post. I will be making a couple changes to Nicaragua in the near future, as I'm collaborating with a Nahuatl-speaker, so expect a re-post with the minor (to the eyes) but juicy details completely re-scrambled.

Support this kind of content:
To access in-depth lore and footnotes (such as the spreadsheet of detailed linguistics information/data that goes with this map), or to download a high resolution print-quality version join the Patreon! Your funds will go to supporting me as well as other collaborators of the project.

More content:
I'm doing backstage-style discussions for this project with my friend, which you can watch on YouTube and or listen on Anchor/Spotify. For general context on this project, go to www.atlasaltera.com. Otherwise, please join the community around this project on r/AtlasAltera or Discord (link in the subreddit).
I'm sad so much of Septentrea is dominated by the US. So many languages lost. :( It's too bad it couldn't at least have been stopped at the Mississippi.

I'm sad so much of Septentrea is dominated by the US. So many languages lost. :( It's too bad it couldn't at least have been stopped at the Mississippi.
Definitely could have tried to stop it at the Mississippi, but it just had too many west/northwest shooting tributaries like the Missouri to really entice Manifest Destiny. Besides, most of the peoples that you are referring to are just more squished into the Grand Prairie Confederacy. It's not great, but it's still far larger than the reserves or Oklahoma......

Status
Not open for further replies.