Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adding a little more ships to the map. Some of which corresponding to certain regions of the world.
View attachment 732950

aaaah so based 18th century, got it

How does kashmir become part of khalistan?

And I see india and china have gone through some balkanization.

How did the southern portion of Japan split off?

And a Balkanized Saudi Arabia I suppose.
This did jog my memory! Thanks! I'll start with the least interesting one - Japan. That's just a straight-up post-WW2 partition.

ITTL, basically all the Axis powers were either split into multiple polities (Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain) or at least lost territory like Turkey. This also reminds me about independent Armenia and the changed internal borders of Yugoslavia:

Because Turkey joined WW2 on side of the Axis, this stirred ethno-religious fascist uprisings/coups in the SR Bosnia-Herzegovina and the Azeri SSR. The Bosnians kinda assume the role of OTL Croats/ustaše (i.e. Yugoslavian Nazi collaborators); meanwhile, the Azeri SSR outright declares independence from the USSR when the latter is attacked by Germany, and joins the Axis to fight with their Turkish "brethren". Because the USSR is a bit too occupied with its Western front (and keeps trying to drag Armenians away to that front right while there's an ongoing invasion of Armenia by Turkey and Azerbaijan), the Armenians also get fed up and declare independence, but they remain communist, and since they're still fighting on the same side and Stalin was a sucker for realpolitik (at least in foreign policy terms), relations quickly normalised. Hence the post-WW2 micro-Azerbaijan (reintegrated into the USSR), and also micro-Bosnia.

(Oh and inb4 "why wasn't Portugal split" - the meta reason is because I couldn't figure out a sensible way to split Portugal; the ITTL reason is because the Allies couldn't figure out a sensible way to split Portugal.)

Kashmir - in the TTL version of the Poonch Rebellion, Hari Singh is helped by Khalistan against the rebels rather than India (since ITTL they're closer). So instead of acceding to India, J&K accedes to Khalistan.

I think calling India and China "balkanised" is probably a bit of an overstatement, but yeah, here's the reasons for the individual changes:

China

- As you can see, China as a whole doesn't turn communist; however, the KMT end up in a sort of stalemate when it comes to Sinkiang, Manchuria, and Inner Mongolia, where they just can't make any sensible headway against the Communists. So these areas end up acceding to the USSR as (A)SSRs.

- China's territorial gains around Northeastern Myanmar actually occurred IOTL during WW2, but ended up being reversed IOTL, whereas ITTL they just stuck in the end. Makes sense when you consider WW2 ended later, so by the time the Allies came out victorious the Pacific/SEA theatre, the Chinese annexation of these areas was already a faît accompli, and trying to reverse it would've been more trouble than it was worth.

- Independent Tibet just makes sense with a non-Communist (and comparatively unstable) China because they don't want to piss off India/the West.

India

- With the creation of distinct Muslim and Sikh countries (Pakistan and Khalistan) separate from India, there was a push to also have Christian countries. This is how both Assam and Goa & Kerala became a thing. Goa & Kerala is a little awkward because Christianity is the state religion and the head of state constitutionally needs to be Christian, but unlike in Assam, Christians aren't actually the majority (there is no outright majority religion). However, in all of these states you still have freedom of religion, and the historic good relations between Kerala's three main religious communities - Christians, Muslims, and Hindus - have largely been maintained so there isn't much grief about this fact.

- Independent Sikkim also happened IOTL so there isn't much to explain there.

Middle East

- Due to the Kurdish uprising already resulting in some new borders, and with the need to have a polity that welcomes and safeguards Jews, the Western powers basically prescriptively rearranged a lot of the Middle East, establishing the three Confessional Republics (which are governed in a sort of similar way to OTL Lebanon).

- The same thing happened on the Arabian peninsula, were the British were keen to curtail Saudi power both due the Ikhwan's historic hostility to the British, and ongoing noticeable opposition to the confessional republics (particularly Palestine). Hence the re-establishment of a separate Hejaz and the imposed "elective kingdom" which results in the King being elected by all the various local Emirs from amongst themselves in a way not dissimilar to the HRE. Other smaller border changes are the result of minor post-war conflicts between the Elective Kingdom and its neighbours.

- Hadhramaut is basically just a fully independent version of the OTL Protectorate of South Arabia (albeit with Socotra ceded to Oman).

Adding a little more ships to the map. Some of which corresponding to certain regions of the world.
View attachment 732950

So what are the major countries in your TL ?

View attachment 732950

Fabula Ultima, a very nice Italian RPG, could be used here.

1649679391127.png

So, anything here look cursed to you?
Balkan Alliance: There are no rivals that threaten the Balkans, and the balkans hate each other, especially Serbia and Kosovo
Porto-Britzil: Alliance between Portugal, Brazil, and United Kingdom. Just.....why?
Asian Federation: This only consists of France and Germany, long time enemies, and is in Europe, not Asia.
European Union: Consists of all Asian countries except for the middle east and Iran. Also has China and China, as well as Korea and Korea.
Golden Afrika: Alliance between Canada, America, and Mexico, but they are not in Africa, and it is Golden, which a plan for the CSA was to invade to the south and form a Golden Circle to help destroy the north. Also, Afrika is a German word, meaning the countries must be German-Dominated, language-wise.
Antarctic Group: Africa, but Africa and Antarctica are 2 different places.
North Atlantic Treaty Organization: Consists of Islands in the South Pacific, not the North Atlantic

Steamships on the Nile - What if the Middle East Industrialised early?

Finally finished my first alt history work for ages, this has been on hold for so long while I've been busy but I finally finished it.

Like the Russia map from ages ago, a bit of a niche, economic history type thing.

95yp0w6omws81.png

In OTL, Muhammad Ali, the de facto king of Egypt in the early-mid 19th century, made many reforms, including an attempt to industrialise and avoid falling behind Europe. In reality, while many of his acts succeeded, the attempt to build industry starting with domestic textile manufacturing was rather unsuccessful, but in this timeline it succeeds, and Egypt, decades ahead of Japan, becomes the first major country outside the west and its offshoots to see an industrial revolution. Rather than falling into debt and eventually coming under British rule, Egypt under Muhammad Ali's dynasty maintains its independence, its empire in Sudan and Eritrea and becomes a growing secondary power.

This invigorates the Ottoman Empire, who also bring about much more ambitious reforms than IRL during the Tanzimat era. By 1910, the Middle East is seeing rapid change, as the modernising regimes oversee the beginnings of rapid industrialisation and the region begins to join the industrialised world. Only time will tell what larger changes this will bring in the 20th century.

On my dA: https://www.deviantart.com/ap246/art/Steamships-on-the-Nile-912706543

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 11.28.19 AM.jpg

Finally taught myself a bit of QGIS, so as many have done before me I have begun on a Roman Empire project. I'm hoping that once my base is finished, I can do a series of maps set in Late Antiquity showing the gradual and often fuzzy retreat of imperial borders as a process rather than the defined and hard nation-like borders that most maps tend to show. I know it doesn't look like it now considering I went with the traditional solid frontiers of the empire, but that is just what I'm doing at this stage to create the basemap. After that is done, I hope to use gradients rather than solid lines to reflect the current state of scholarship on Roman border zones. I hope to try and work in some interesting details, like the survival of garrisons in the forts on Hadrian's wall past the imperial retreat and the formation of post-Roman polities on the island as it came under increasing pressure from the North and Irish seas. I imagine a good deal of it will be guesswork, as you can already see by my placement of Roman dioceses in Britannia.. I went with the idea that Britannia Secunda was in modern Wales rather than beyond Hadrian's Wall or in Cumbria. But guesswork really isn't any different from the maps we already use which show solid polities and sharp borders throughout the period. Also going to find a better way to represent dioceses/provinces since I think they are hard to see in Britannia on the current map. Also sadly I really can't find good datasets for anything in Late Antiquity. The roads you see are from a peak-Empire road system dataset, and anything on cities is either locked behind a university account or from peak-Empire as well. Will just have to improvise on that front I suppose. Overall though, I'm pleased with it aesthetically!

Finally finished my first alt history work for ages, this has been on hold for so long while I've been busy but I finally finished it.

Like the Russia map from ages ago, a bit of a niche, economic history type thing.

95yp0w6omws81.png

In OTL, Muhammad Ali, the de facto king of Egypt in the early-mid 19th century, made many reforms, including an attempt to industrialise and avoid falling behind Europe. In reality, while many of his acts succeeded, the attempt to build industry starting with domestic textile manufacturing was rather unsuccessful, but in this timeline it succeeds, and Egypt, decades ahead of Japan, becomes the first major country outside the west and its offshoots to see an industrial revolution. Rather than falling into debt and eventually coming under British rule, Egypt under Muhammad Ali's dynasty maintains its independence, its empire in Sudan and Eritrea and becomes a growing secondary power.

This invigorates the Ottoman Empire, who also bring about much more ambitious reforms than IRL during the Tanzimat era. By 1910, the Middle East is seeing rapid change, as the modernising regimes oversee the beginnings of rapid industrialisation and the region begins to join the industrialised world. Only time will tell what larger changes this will bring in the 20th century.

Nice. Always a fan of other alternate Meijis and economic maps, and the school textbook-type visual looks quite good.

How's Persia doing? With a modernizing Middle East to set an "Islamic example", did the economic boom carry over to them too?

Nice. Always a fan of other alternate Meijis and economic maps, and the school textbook-type visual looks quite good.

How's Persia doing? With a modernizing Middle East to set an "Islamic example", did the economic boom carry over to them too?
Cheers! I find this alternate economic stuff really interesting too.

I imagine Persia would be economically and institutionally ahead of where they were in OTL from spillover from the Ottomans, and trying not to fall behind, but I think they'd be behind both Egypt and the Ottomans. IIRC Persia had a highly decentralised state structure with the Shah having little control on the periphery of the empire, that made developmentalism difficult until into the 20th century, and while there may be more incentive to be faster in this timeline, it'd probably still pose a challenge.

W

Why no snow cap for Pavonis Mons?

(Also, the top of Olympus should be bare; it sticks out too high for weather. Also possibly Ascreus, Arsia, and Elysium)
No snow cap for pavonis moms because where I got the climates from didn’t have it. It’s right on the equator

As for the rest of the volcanoes I have them as ice caps idk if they would be bare like you said we’d have to ask a scientist

View attachment 733177
Finally taught myself a bit of QGIS, so as many have done before me I have begun on a Roman Empire project. I'm hoping that once my base is finished, I can do a series of maps set in Late Antiquity showing the gradual and often fuzzy retreat of imperial borders as a process rather than the defined and hard nation-like borders that most maps tend to show. I know it doesn't look like it now considering I went with the traditional solid frontiers of the empire, but that is just what I'm doing at this stage to create the basemap. After that is done, I hope to use gradients rather than solid lines to reflect the current state of scholarship on Roman border zones. I hope to try and work in some interesting details, like the survival of garrisons in the forts on Hadrian's wall past the imperial retreat and the formation of post-Roman polities on the island as it came under increasing pressure from the North and Irish seas. I imagine a good deal of it will be guesswork, as you can already see by my placement of Roman dioceses in Britannia.. I went with the idea that Britannia Secunda was in modern Wales rather than beyond Hadrian's Wall or in Cumbria. But guesswork really isn't any different from the maps we already use which show solid polities and sharp borders throughout the period. Also going to find a better way to represent dioceses/provinces since I think they are hard to see in Britannia on the current map. Also sadly I really can't find good datasets for anything in Late Antiquity. The roads you see are from a peak-Empire road system dataset, and anything on cities is either locked behind a university account or from peak-Empire as well. Will just have to improvise on that front I suppose. Overall though, I'm pleased with it aesthetically!
This is a brilliant map! I'm very excited to see this project expanded :)

I felt your pain regarding border zones, even when trying to portray the empire at it's most powerful. Ancient World Mapping Center datasets are very innacurate and generalised in all areas except physical geography. I found it was best to construct border zones from scratch using forts and other point-based datasets from Pleiades. I mentioned the border problem in my blog on it here, but a more scholarly and developed look view on mapping pre-modern empires and fuzzy border areas comes from historians such as Fanny Madeline, who wrote a brilliant article on the topic.

95yp0w6omws81.png

Beautiful, love it

This is a brilliant map! I'm very excited to see this project expanded :)

I felt your pain regarding border zones, even when trying to portray the empire at it's most powerful. Ancient World Mapping Center datasets are very innacurate and generalised in all areas except physical geography. I found it was best to construct border zones from scratch using forts and other point-based datasets from Pleiades. I mentioned the border problem in my blog on it here, but a more scholarly and developed look view on mapping pre-modern empires and fuzzy border areas comes from historians such as Fanny Madeline, who wrote a brilliant article on the topic.
I appreciate the kind words - especially coming from you! I love some of the projects you have done, especially the 11th century England map. The Fanny Madeline article was truly excellent.. I've been trying to seriously grapple with the ways in which we can present pre-modern polities and their conceptions of borders and borderlands, but I didn't have the vocabulary to find proper articles written on the subject. This really hit the mark on what I was looking for, and the issues discussed are definitely things I am trying to brainstorm about in regards to this project. Late Antiquity presents a massive challenge in terms of defining borders considering our lack of sources and concrete information on the period. Especially considering that representing non-formalized political units like bands of Franks or Saxons are a necessity of maps set in this period to convey who was where and when. I think the placing of specific points like you mention of Roman fortresses is going to be useful in evaluating where exactly some lines need to be drawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.