Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
1645112560770.png

I realise this isn't really alternate history, but it is a map. Basically I looked up stuff about some countries and put it in a map. The red are countries with a world record for the country. I am NOT counting the people who have world records or the country with the most guinness world records. Ok, let me explain.
America and Canada both share the longest border in the world. Denmark has the largest colonial empire in land size. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland has the longest name. Andorra has the world's oldest unchanging border. South Sudan is the youngest country in the world. North Macedonia has the youngest country name. Russia has the most land size, China has the most Population. Luxembourg is the richest country. Burundi is the poorest country. And Botswana and Zambia share the world's shortest border. I'm going to stop flooding this thread, now. (please keep it active)

Last edited:
Nope, not as far as I know. It's just easy to forget Denmark was and is still a colonial power, they're normally so unassuming compared to the rest of the European imperialist states at their height.
John Oliver once had a joke that Britain's advice to America was that in the face of the fall of Empire "just enjoy the descent" and how Britain had fallen so far from its height that "nothing is [their] fault, even though fundamentally everything is". There's benefits to flying under the radar it would seem.

The Partition of Hungary & its subsequent ethnic exchange
After WW1, the Treaty of Trianon was imposed to the Kingdom of Hungary, effectively partitioning its territory between its (old and new) neighbours: Romania, Austria, (the newly created) Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovakia. The region, which had several areas with a complicated ethnic mix, was agreed by the Allied Powers to be subject of some population exchange, making the new borders ethnically peaceful, to avoid future internal conflicts and minority discrimination. And so, tens of thousands of Hungarians, Romanians, Croats, Serbs, Slovaks, Ruthenians and Germans were (forcibly) made to move their homes onto their "assigned" new homeland. At least, the transfers were as peaceful as possible, with cases of ethnic violence not being widespread. The success of this movement inspired the future population exchange in the former Ottoman Empire between Turks and Greeks.

Partition of Hungary, showing the partition lines (in yellow):
hungary1.png

Then, the ethnic map before and after the exchanges, showing the direction of the migrations:

1 - Before
hungary2.png

2 - Migrations
hungary3.png

3 - After
hungary4.png

Then, the final established borders of post-war southeastern Europe, in 1921:

hungary5.png

Will this ensure a peaceful future? The Allies says so, but no one knows...

The Partition of Hungary & its subsequent ethnic exchange
After WW1, the Treaty of Trianon was imposed to the Kingdom of Hungary, effectively partitioning its territory between its (old and new) neighbours: Romania, Austria, (the newly created) Yugoslavia, and Czechoslovakia. The region, which had several areas with a complicated ethnic mix, was agreed by the Allied Powers to be subject of some population exchange, making the new borders ethnically peaceful, to avoid future internal conflicts and minority discrimination. And so, tens of thousands of Hungarians, Romanians, Croats, Serbs, Slovaks, Ruthenians and Germans were (forcibly) made to move their homes onto their "assigned" new homeland. At least, the transfers were as peaceful as possible, with cases of ethnic violence not being widespread. The success of this movement inspired the future population exchange in the former Ottoman Empire between Turks and Greeks.

Partition of Hungary, showing the partition lines (in yellow):
View attachment 719910

Then, the ethnic map before and after the exchanges, showing the direction of the migrations:

1 - Before
View attachment 719913

2 - Migrations
View attachment 719911

3 - After
View attachment 719912

Then, the final established borders of post-war southeastern Europe, in 1921:

View attachment 719917

Will this ensure a peaceful future? The Allies says so, but no one knows...
Good Lord this much population exchange would kill so many people-that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen though

Greenland, I assume.
I am still misunderstanding it.

largest colonial empire by land size?

Isn't that the Britishers?

And if it's about single landmass like greenland? Isn't Australia like four times bigger? So that should still be Britishers?

Edit: oh, it's talking about the present time period.
Thought it was throughout history. Though is greenland considered to be a colony?

Nope, not as far as I know. It's just easy to forget Denmark was and is still a colonial power, they're normally so unassuming compared to the rest of the European imperialist states at their height.

It help on your post-colonial reputation, when you don’t murder or exploit the native and end colonialism by integrate them into your metropole and raise their living standards to first world levels. While you rarely has clean hands, it end up looking ridiculous to attack you for it, when you compare it with everyone else, and we were smart enough to sell the parts where our hand were the bloodiest to worse states.

I am still misunderstanding it.

largest colonial empire by land size?

Isn't that the Britishers?

And if it's about single landmass like greenland? Isn't Australia like four times bigger? So that should still be Britishers?

Edit: oh, it's talking about the present time period.
Thought it was throughout history. Though is greenland considered to be a colony?
This is probably straying into current politics and should be circumvented but: none of the colonial pocessions that are still part of the colonising country are considered colonies. Greenland was a colony, and it's still a subject [in a complicated way] of the colonial country.

Attack on Titan World Map.png

Here is my interpretation of the world of the manga/anime Attack on Titan at the beginning of the series.

Footnotes:
1. The Marleyan Empire has recently set up a prison colony for the unwanted on the desolate frozen continent of North Vespecio.
2. The Vespecian Federation was formed by rebelling natives which overthrew the Eldian colonial government before the start of the Great Titan War.
3. The Federation was forced to give independence to Confederation slavers fifty years ago because Marley threatened it with destruction via Titans. It holds a grudge against the Marleyan Empire to this day.
4. The lush tropical continent of Europa was conquered entirely by Marley a decade ago with their titan powers, airships, and machine guns. The native Europans have since been forcibly civilized and assimilated into Marley.
5. The island of Albios, just recently conquered, has been particularly troublesome for Marley. A pilot named Onyankopon has organized mass non-violent resistance to the Marleyans, only for them to respond with lethal force.
6. Eldian internment zones on the Marleyan coast. Eldians on the mainland are kept separated from the Marleyan population as they are seen as an evil, inferior race. Liberio, the southernmost internment zone, is also the most populous of them.
7. The empire of Marley. Formerly conquered by the Eldian Empire, they rebelled against Eldia a hundred years ago during the Great Titan War and have since stolen the power of the Titans from Eldia. Despite claiming that they will not be as evil as Eldia was, their recent conquests and wars have shown the world that Marley is just as bad as the old Eldian Empire.
8. The last Eldian king and millions of his subjects fled to Paradis Island to live a peaceful life behind the walls. Ashamed of their evil past, the last Eldian King wiped his subjects of all their memories of the outside world to ensure that the Eldian Empire could never rise again.
9. Marley controls a port on southern Paradis, where they turn dissenting Eldians into monstrous Titans. This also serves a double purpose to guarantee that the Eldians behind the walls can never leave as they are besieged by thousands of Titans everyday.
10. The Middle Eastern Alliance. Formed by several nations which fear Marleyan conquest. The nation of Jokos in particular wants their island back, as it was illegally annexed by Marley.
11. The jungles to the south have not been explored yet, as conditions are too dangerous. In the interior of the jungle, a native empire worships a captured Titan which had wandered deep into the jungle a hundred years before.
12. The continent of Orialios was once dominated by Hizuru, an ally of the Eldian Empire. Hizuru has since left the continent completely, with many wars breaking out across the continent between new states which formed.
13. The nation of Hizuru. Once a superpower allied to Eldia, it was forced to give independence to most of its territory in the aftermath of the Great Titan War. It is mostly isolationist nowadays.

Last edited:
The Danish West Indies were just as bad as any of the Caribbean colonies, with a slavery-powered cash crop economy, and a post-emancipation system to keep the former slaves as an easily-controlled source of cheap labor. Danish outposts on the Gold Coast participated rigorously in the Transatlantic slave trade. The Estonians and Norwegians also weren't always so thrilled with their Danish overlords, and the rule is sometimes compared to that of England in Ireland.

The Danish West Indies were just as bad as any of the Caribbean colonies, with a slavery-powered cash crop economy, and a post-emancipation system to keep the former slaves as an easily-controlled source of cheap labor. Danish outposts on the Gold Coast participated rigorously in the Transatlantic slave trade. The Estonians and Norwegians also weren't always so thrilled with their Danish overlords, and the rule is sometimes compared to that of England in Ireland.
Oh I understand, I never meant to imply that they were good colonialists, merely that they've had better PR and less attention.

4BE52688-135F-438A-BA83-AC59D3069B55.jpeg

Part I of the map from my (Incredibly cursed) CK2 campaign with Aragon, orange is Aragon, green Andalusia (ruled by my sister), yellow is Galicia, blue is France, grey is (thick) Brittany, red is England, light blue Scotland and emerald green Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.