Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
>details that the Reactionary Party is there because no other party allows me to build factories
>literally made a plantation pic because had no other idea
>props up the Confederacy only because they will be a thorn in the US' side
>but muh slavocracy and genocide

I literally said its based on an ongoing Victoria 2 run as Peru. It's not solid yet
You were wondering why you got actioned. I explained why. That's all I'll say on the matter. Best of luck.

Angiersgroup Operations.png

Alas, here is a spin off of the main TL, made after I played Cyberpunk2077.

As for your description, basically, instead of going the Empire route they opted to start a nice arms company in Mozambique, and then went on to pull an Arasaka and become a huge conglomerate that deals in everything imaginable. Important note: they are NOT doing any genocide, NOR is it a "mass death wish fulfillment". Its just a funky spin off made one night because of boredom.

Oh yeah, those green areas got nuked so there's that.

I get that "the scenario is cursed because that's mechanically convenient in the game" but you can still admit that supporting the confederacy isn't good for a TL

I get that "the scenario is cursed because that's mechanically convenient in the game" but you can still admit that supporting the confederacy isn't good for a TL

I don't think the following is any ringing endorsement for the CSA. I don't see any claim that it is good for the timeline. Just that CSA is a proxy to weaken the USA. It is a statement of what is not one of support.

I keep the CSA as a proxy to beat the US with. Such is life.

c'est la vie: "That's life!" or "Such is life!"

Though either foreign expression can be used to say that life is harsh but that one must accept it, the former may imply a more deliberate cause thereof, while the latter, more accidental.
-From Wikipedia

I don't think the following is any ringing endorsement for the CSA. I don't see any claim that it is good for the timeline. Just that CSA is a proxy to weaken the USA. It is a statement of what is not one of support.

c'est la vie: "That's life!" or "Such is life!"

Though either foreign expression can be used to say that life is harsh but that one must accept it, the former may imply a more deliberate cause thereof, while the latter, more accidental.
-From Wikipedia
No, but I mean, while the mass death may not be wish fulfillment, he should understand that the "mass death" comments largely are because of the confederacy & that it is indeed a horrible regime. It might just be unclear communication but I think that to many people, sovietkiller seems to be averse to admitting that the concern over the state that is affiliated with him in this scenario supporting the confederacy is reasonable even if it is, as he seems to be saying, rooted in misunderstanding.

No, but I mean, while the mass death may not be wish fulfillment, he should understand that the "mass death" comments largely are because of the confederacy & that it is indeed a horrible regime. It might just be unclear communication but I think that to many people, sovietkiller seems to be averse to admitting that the concern over the state that is affiliated with him in this scenario supporting the confederacy is reasonable even if it is, as he seems to be saying, rooted in misunderstanding.

The real life United States supported many awful dictatorships because they were anti-communist.

I think Sovietkiller has the right to support the Confederacy in a video game as a way to weaken a rival power.

I mean, they clearly stated that it was based on a Victoria II playthrough.

I don't defend them on their kick about their previous timeline that was locked but that map of Peru is not all that similar to that imo.

The real life United States supported many awful dictatorships because they were anti-communist.

I think Sovietkiller has the right to support the Confederacy in a video game as a way to weaken a rival power.

I mean, they clearly stated that it was based on a Victoria II playthrough.

I don't defend them on their kick about their previous timeline that was locked but that map of Peru is not all that similar to that imo.
Well I certainly don't disagree with anything in this post so I think it's fair to stop the discussion.

California: 2261
in the 14th year of the CALIF-MORMON WAR

In the Late Information Age, modern civilization collapsed due to escalating climate change and resulting chaos. After a Dark Age of nearly a century, civilization has begun to return, though large-scale wars have as well. In Western America, the city-states along the Pacific Ocean were confronted in the mid-2200's by the arrival of Mormon migrants from the hostile desert inlands, who aimed to carve a new home for themselves in the image of an ideal theocracy. In 2261, the forces of the Monterey League and Prophet-President Huntsman's Mormon Empire face for a climactic battle across California for the fate of this new era in human history.

mormon empire paint.png

Newholland(smll).png

New Holland, officially the Federation of New Holland, is a nation in South America, which mainly speaks in Dutch. The Country was originally a colony of the Portuguese, however in 1630, the Dutch would invade and capture the Northern colonies. Wars soon follow between the Dutch and Portuguese up until the 1650s, when both sides made an agreement to split the colony into two, with the Dutch taking the northern regions of Brazil and the Portuguese taking the southern regions. The Dutch would soon allow immigration from other countries, mainly the Germans, Belgians, Scandinavians, Irish, as well as some British and French immigrants. The Dutch would also see the slave trade of capture Africans increase, as well as wars for land from the Aboriginals. The Dutch would also see several Indians from their holdings in India move to the colony for developing several cities and roads. Following Dutch handover of new Netherlands, several settlers in the colony would leave to New Holland, hoping to remain under Dutch juridiction. In 1795, The Dutch would be invaded and conquer by Napoleon. With Britain occupying most of the Netherlands colonies, the governors of New Holland decide to declare independence. New Holland would later be recognize by the Dutch, British and French after the Napoleonic Wars. New Holland and the Empire of Brazil would soon grow a rivalry, resulting in several small wars and border clash as both nations has begun settling in the Amazon, at the expense of the Native Americans living there. In 1836, New Holland became one of the last nations in the Americas to abolish the slave trade. in 1870, New Holland, after pressure from the United States, and a Constitutional crisis, abolish slavery. During the early 20th Century, they would began trading with the British, French, and Americans. During WW1, New Holland remain pro-entente and eventually join the war in 1917. The nation was hit hard in the great depression and eventually join WW2 in 1943. in the aftermath of the war, New Holland became close allies with the Americans and Dutch and their anti-communist stance. In the 1970s, New Holland would grant rights to its Black, Indian, and Aboriginal populations, and begun allowing Non-Europeans to immigrate to them. New Holland today is the 3rd Richest nation in Latin America and a hotspot for tourism, although it still suffer from Corruption and the War on Drugs.

Last edited:
in 1870, New Holland, after pressure from the United States, and a Constitutional crisis, abolish slavery.
I wonder... Maybe we can get by with the rest of history being... relatively unchanged for ~200 years to this point. But wouldn’t another relatively large, white-led slaveholding society also in the Americas be an attractive destination for alt-Confederados (would they call themselves Bondgenoten)? If so, wouldn’t it be possible for them to get positions of power in New Hollander politics and refuse the US’ demands? And then what could the US realistically do about it, in 1870?
During the early 20th Century, they would began trading with the British, French, and Americans.
Not before? Plenty of farming opportunities there, even without destroying rainforest.
During WW1
Here’s where the butterflies collectively land on the train’s brake lever and weigh it down before the train flies at full speed around a bend, and why I wanted to reply in the first place. Roughly 200 years of alt-immigration (from 1650-1870)? Okay, maybe the rest of the world follows a similar path. But there’s not going to be a “world war one” how we knew it, never mind any of the repercussions thereof.

I wonder... Maybe we can get by with the rest of history being... relatively unchanged for ~200 years to this point. But wouldn’t another relatively large, white-led slaveholding society also in the Americas be an attractive destination for alt-Confederados (would they call themselves Bondgenoten)? If so, wouldn’t it be possible for them to get positions of power in New Hollander politics and refuse the US’ demands? And then what could the US realistically do about it, in 1870?
So for history being unchanged, from what I've seen South America hasn't affected much of world history, so I thought a Dutch brazil wouldn't affect much. As for the Confederados (Which yeah sure lets call them Bondgenoten), There were many of them who move to New Holland. For the reason why they never took any power, first of all, even in our timeline the Confederates who were exile never made much political power in Brazil, second of all their numbers are very small, third of all laws for running political power are simalar to the running for president in the US, you have to be a Natural Born citizen of NH, you have to live in there for 14 years, and you must be 30 Years old.

Here’s where the butterflies collectively land on the train’s brake lever and weigh it down before the train flies at full speed around a bend, and why I wanted to reply in the first place. Roughly 200 years of alt-immigration (from 1650-1870)? Okay, maybe the rest of the world follows a similar path. But there’s not going to be a “world war one” how we knew it, never mind any of the repercussions thereof.

Butterflies are more realistic, while introducting a new actor in a recognisable political landscape is more interesting. As example imagine Dutch South Africa and the effect of such a large Free Netherland would have on the World Wars is far more interesting than a Dutch South Africa in a unrecognisable 20th century.

This is the eternal debate of the Alternate History genre. It might be a thing of Realism-vs-Recognizability or one of Plausibility-vs-Narrative Usefulness. I stand a 100% on the side of making things scrambled beyond measure. I like the simple style you used quite a lot and it works pretty well in many situations, along with your choice of colours. They are vibrant and energetic, but not too garish and neon. Good job on that front, that balance can be hard.

I don't like the lack of attention to the borders along the Andes however, and that's despite ignoring everything that I do not agree with on the butterflies' front. Those borders would have been altered by your new colony.

This is not an insult to your capacities nor to your approach to alternate history, that is, the butterfly net. It is simply a critique to help you get better under your own terms.

Butterflies are more realistic, while introducting a new actor in a recognisable political landscape is more interesting. As example imagine Dutch South Africa and the effect of such a large Free Netherland would have on the World Wars is far more interesting than a Dutch South Africa in a unrecognisable 20th century.
Who decided this

Status
Not open for further replies.