Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest map in the Confederation of American States series, by u/jjpamsterdam from Reddit: the Westward Expansion of Anglo-Dutch America, from 1770-1870.
ksznnyaq35p61.png

Much as in OTL, the Civil War was a defining moment for this country. Without obstruction by Southern pro-slavery politicians, Northern capitalists are able to push through the Boerderyenwet (similar to the OTL Homestead Act), allowing for mass settlement of free farmers throughout the western states and territories. The railroads connecting the populated heartland with the western coast are also finished and allow for much easier access there. Furthermore, the Algemene Confederatieregelingen create several new territories (Gebieden) on an eventual path to statehood. All of these territories are administered exclusively in American Dutch, as most English-speaking states are in rebellion at the time.

After the Civil War, the Southern states are militarily occupied and only readmitted after significant reform. No person is allowed to gain office without swearing past and present allegiance to the Confederation. This leads to growing marginalisation of the Anglo-Americans in these states and a growing fear among them that former slaves - eagerly supportive of the Confederation - could gain too much power there. As of 1870, Louisiane (which changed its name in the process), Tennessee, Texas, (German/Adelsverein) West Texas, Arkansas, Chesapeake and Florida have been readmitted as full members, while the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi have not. Ongoing ethnic unrest between Anglo-Americans and Freedmen is still an issue in several of these states.

By 1870, the CAS is regarded as a primarily Dutch-speaking, primarily Protestant country, but with significant minorities in both categories. Immigration from Europe continues and will only increase for several decades to come, putting this young country on a path for continued growth and possibly even some international adventures.

Last edited:
Personally, I sometimes wonder if there's something vaguely racist about coloring Japan yellow, given the whole "yellow peril" thing. [1]

[1] Which is somewhat complicated by the fact that yellow is the traditional Chinese imperial color.
I'm with you there. Cherry blossom pink would be the obvious alternative, but unfortunately that's almost exactly the same as this site's standard color for England.

Had this map sitting around on my hard drive and decided to go finish it up. Almost there, minus the key and description.

The title is "2040 from 2020," basically my rough overview of how the world might look in 2040 from a vantage point at the end of 2020. I will not be commenting on any political or cultural issues, only on geopolitical trends. I have very few border changes because I expect future de jure border shifts to be rare. Instead there will be de facto borders and zones of influence within existing countries.

I have Asia splitting roughly into two blocs, a China led and a America/Japan-led one. Thusfar there has been some saber-rattling, but no actual violence.

In Europe, I have the final end of the Russia-NATO conflict, basically an uti possidetis peace in Eastern Ukraine after another brief, stalemated war in the Donbass. Belarus' regime had a fiery end, and it wound up a NATO satellite. Meanwhile, Turkey is establishing itself as a regional powerhouse.

In Africa, things are a bit grim. I have multiple political disputes gone hot (Libya, South Sudan, Zimbabwe), and other ethnic ones (Kanuri, Ovimbundu, Somali, Tigray). The main hope of the continent is the Tanzania-led East African Community, which has burgeoning ties with various Asian powers. Ghana has been an unlikely success story as well.

2040 from 2020.png

Status
Not open for further replies.