Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
good North American
"Better our backwards cousins across the pond than those fiends in Paris" reasons London. Needless to say it has provoked much dissent (and even more grumbling in South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, and the various administrators of the colonies). France hopes to weaponize this in the next war. It's been a few decades since the major powers fought.

The French do have their own weaknesses though.

Angevine Empire map in Pergamon style. Its related to my other posted map, but it focuses on the 'core' territories of the Empire. Most of the important lore about the provinces is on the map itself.
View attachment 631413
Very interesting. As others have pointed out, it looks like the Drakia Empire.
A question I ask myself, how could the rising waters erode the African coasts but not those of Europe or Asia?
Otherwise what is the POD? In spite of reading it, I can't find it.

Very interesting. As others have pointed out, it looks like the Drakia Empire.
A question I ask myself, how could the rising waters erode the African coasts but not those of Europe or Asia?
Otherwise what is the POD? In spite of reading it, I can't find it.
ah well, kinda hard to explain.

POD: 2002 (soft POD), 2022 (Hard POD)

2002 - my birth year
2022 - guy (me) finds alien (ancient human, but that part of the lore is still under work) cloning machine. They make a genderbent immortal clone (with genemodding before actually cloning. Its basically taking the DNA of the person you wanna clone as a base, from which you then start editing stuff).

So by 2026 they amass an army, and in 2027 start taking over Mozambique and friends, by 2030 coming to encompass Madagascar, South Africa, Mocambique and Tangayaka. Oh, did I forget to mention that theirs is an army of clones? Yes, the whole clone part will be obnoxious for the first decades of the empire while the labour sources are still shaky.

In 2030 the empire is officially founded, and starts a slow expansion. I decided to borrow the ideas from the Handmaids' Tale for what happens to the US, hence a Gilead appears in the US. With its appearance the empire expands more and more. In the base lore they also take over basically everything south of the equator by 2100. Given this map is set in 2073 (71 Anno Imperatoris/Ano Empereale), it didn't conquer all the land it owns in 2100. South America is dominated by an Angevine-backed Peru, and Asia is dominated by Angevine-backed Japan and a restored Qing empire (funny what that cloning tech can do, innit).

The Empire starts terraforming Venus in the 2050s and at the same time are starting projects to 'greenify' the Sahara. I labaled that as 'sea level change' on the map mostly out of laziness. In actuality that land was either dug using vast armies of excavators visible from space, or literally using forced labour supplemented by worker clones (with a lifespan of a few months, but without any need for food, water, etc) The Sahara basically got turned into a grassland and is starting to be forested. I used the TNO-Congo sea for the Kongo area because i didn't find anything else.

Oh, yeah, I did forget to map the sea rise in the Middle East, where most of lower Iraq got turned into a sea, just like in Sumerian times.

Fun fact; these guys have 'angels' as a special forces unit. Literally, they are equipped with some holographic-ish halos and wings (because they cant be angels otherwise) but use state of the art tech and can, obviously, fly. They also act as an Inquisition of sorts. One thing I didn't specify on the map, but I did on another map I postedo n my deviantart, is that the Empire has 3 main religions: the Cult of Venus, Ishtar and Isis. The latter 2 are variations of the first. Its basically a cult of personality, taken on an entirely new level.

All in all, its like TL15 or sth, but much more crazy.

After several months of on-again, off-again progress, the follow up to my Holy Roman Europe map is complete. I present you with the linguistic map of Holy Roman Europe, complete with a key that's twice as long as the map itself. The fractured political system of the empire has allowed some languages that are long extinct or moribund IOTL to thrive, and languages that got a footing off of national standardization like French and Italian are much more localized and remain split into separate dialects. Despite many ethnicities living under HRE rule and occasional ethnic conflicts, the Emperor of the Romans is at the helm of a well-oiled machine that started out as a collection of German states but grew into a continent-spanning power over the centuries.

1615467274548.png

Last edited:
After several months of on-again, off-again progress, the follow up to my Holy Roman Europe map is complete. I present you with the linguistic map of Holy Roman Europe, complete with a key that's twice as long as the map itself. The fractured political system of the empire has allowed some languages that are long extinct or moribund IOTL to thrive, and languages that got a footing off of national standardization like French and Italian are much more localized and remain split into separate dialects. Despite many ethnicities living under HRE rule and occasional ethnic conflicts, the Emperor of the Romans is at the helm of a well-oiled machine that started out as a collection of German states but grew into a continent-spanning power over the centuries.

View attachment 631728
Truly, that map is both blessed and cursed.

After several months of on-again, off-again progress, the follow up to my Holy Roman Europe map is complete. I present you with the linguistic map of Holy Roman Europe, complete with a key that's twice as long as the map itself. The fractured political system of the empire has allowed some languages that are long extinct or moribund IOTL to thrive, and languages that got a footing off of national standardization like French and Italian are much more localized and remain split into separate dialects. Despite many ethnicities living under HRE rule and occasional ethnic conflicts, the Emperor of the Romans is at the helm of a well-oiled machine that started out as a collection of German states but grew into a continent-spanning power over the centuries.View attachment 631737
gorgeous , could stare at this for hours

This is NOT my map, I found it online (source by u/PisseGuri82 on Reddit). I wonder if an alternate history series of different such maps might be fun? 'Ephemeral states of the British Civil War' could be exciting.

iu

Last edited:
1615279592062.png

Map of an alternate Europe.
First it started because I simply wanted to add England to the Norse sphere...
Then the rest came.

Maria Theresia revenge - or miracle of Prussia doesn´t happen...
Habsburgs and their allies were able to almost destroy Prussia in seven years war. Habsburgs get back SIlesia, Saxony Magdeburg (and some minor territorial upgrades in Brandenburg), Sweden Stettin, Bavaria Kleve and other minor possesion in western Germany. Prussia itself get to Russia (Elisabeth live a bit longer) and then was traded for Courland.
With Prussia totally humiliated and turned into some sort of third rate power, there wasn´t much opposition for Joseph project of trading Netherlands for Bavaria (with some minor cession to France).
Later, emperor Joseph went to war with Ottomans and was able to rectify the shame of Belgrade treaty. Victory against "heathen Turk" at least a little bit increased his popularity, shattered by his stern regime and some of reforms he made...
Soon after emperor Joseph die and his brother Leopold, grand duke of Tuscany, take over throne.
There is growing discontent, among the aristocracy as in people, dissatisfied by some of late emperors reforms. Also among the imperial princes austrian growth and sometime heavy handed policy of Joseph created enmity. And then there are last news from France. Events, firstly welcomed by enlightened Leopold, critic to his brother-in-law rule, seems to be taking wilder and more disturbing course...
On the other hand, empire is standing strong, despite inner opposition. In Reich, there is no power equal to Austria. Only all of more significant princes combined could create real danger to Emperor. And such alliance, despite common concerns about emperors power, isn´t likely. Italy is basically "co-dominion" of Habsburgs and Bourbons, while southeastern borders seems to be secure and calm. On the east, there is growing power of Russia, traditional ally but dangerous rival at the same time, on the other hand, there is also Poland, standing as a buffer against it. At first, to let french princ Louis became ruler of Poland seemed as bad idead, leading to encirclement of Habsburg monarchy, but, as french support for new king weakened, polish king got closer to Vienna.
And last but not least, Leopold is cunning and experienced ruler, more cautious but not less determined than his late brother... But coming days will bring challenge even for such man... How will he withstand it? And how will withstand Habsburg monarchy?
View attachment 620751
Sequel to this and another Austro-wank (as you see, there are not so many changes, just not sure about FInland - at least part of its should probably go to Russia - and borders in Bosnia)
I let Leopold II. to live longer than OTL and French revolution went totally differently - no Varennes flee, France stayin monarchy, even if constitutional, mostly irelevant in power politics, concerning mostly with its internal reforms.
Reforms and counter-reforms are meanwhile going in Habsburg monarchy too, which is slowly changing into sort of constitutional federal monarchy.
Even if mostly peaceful and cautious under Leopold, empire is neverthless slowly expanding - mostly due to next war with Turkey. Also gain Istria and small chunk of Terra Ferma from Venetian republic (in exchange for Crete) and Corsica, bought from France (and then exchange it with Piedmont for its part of Lombardy).
Also, Poland, now loyal and pretty stable Habsburg ally, gain Moldavia, so eastern borders of Austria are now secure against Russia.
With France, concentrated mostly on inner reforms, Russia turning more into Asia and entering another period of instability under unpopular tsar Paul and Britain more concerned about overseas (especially war with its former colonies), Habsburg monarchy is undouptebly european power no. 1.
However, new challenge to European peace and order is coming - Ottoman empire, recently defetead in another war, is less stable than ever. Restless southeast border isn´t anything new for Habsburgs - but what if its neighbor really collapse this time?
And what about french radicals and republicans, unsatisfied with reforms? Some of them are even going aboard and trying to spread their thoughts in Spain, Switzerland and even some german states...
Maria Theresia.png

Last edited:
Here's a sequel to that other map. I decided to roll along with the sea-level rise. Basically I think climate change went a taaad faster in the 203s, leading to these. The fact the Angevines bombed the crap out of Brazil and America (Gilead) didn't help matters much. Most lore is in the map, regarding expansion. And yeah, it is ASB, but I don't recall this thread being only for non-ASB iirc.
Peru in Pergamon.png

Status
Not open for further replies.