Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope nobody minds me posting this here - since Map Thread XIX got locked I wasn't able to update the original post, although I've added another myth to my Star Wars project (original map can be found here, for other galactic fairy tales, see here).

Isle of Ezan-Throgg: Phantom island described in the legends of the Asogian people, a squat, puddle-footed race with brown skin and extending necks from the Outer Rim world of Brodo Asogi. Supposedly, the island of Ezan-Throgg lies off the western coast of the Vomestran continent, and is said to be perpetually shrouded by a thick mist, rendering it totally inaccessible to outsiders, except for on a leap day (which occurs every five years on Brodo Asogi), where the magical fog is lifted, and the island is visible to sailors. Over the centuries, countless explorers have claimed to have spotted Ezan-Throgg during their travels, often making wildly contradictory claims about the island and its inhabitants. The most famous literary account of Ezan-Throgg and its history is attributed to the ancient Asogian folklorist known as Nositham the Younger, who wrote that in the distant past, the island was visible for all 298 days of the year, and was ruled by a just and fair king named Fonhom, whose wife passed away shortly after giving birth to a litter of nine daughters.

One fateful leap day, King Fonhom returned from his hunt to discover that his palace had been ransacked by the dreaded Atarians (a seafaring people hailing from the northmost reaches of Vomestra), who had slain his guards, as well as all nine of the king's daughters. The grieving Fonhom realized that with his finest soldiers dead and his people vastly outnumbered, Ezan-Throgg did not stand a chance against its attackers, and prayed before Almighty Sacul, asking the king of the gods for the strength to defeat the Atarian invaders. Sacul heard Fonhom's prayer, and stretched out a single long, glowing finger, temporarily transferring a tiny spark of divine power into the young king's body. Immediately, Fonhom underwent an (incredibly painful) eldritch transformation, growing five times larger and ten times stronger, his mere glance capable of inducing fatal seizures in his enemies. Fonhom single-handedly slaughtered waves of Atarian warriors, with the few surviving soldiers retreating to their longships, vowing to never return to the island of the demon-king.

Although his domain was safe once more, Sacul's divine spark had taken its toll on the king's health: the powers of a god are not meant to reside within a mortal body, and by the time the last Atarian longship had retreated from Ezan-Throgg's shore, King Fonhom's skin had turned pasty white, and his burning heart was visible through his chest. With the last few ounces of his supernatural strength, Fonhom threw his black cloak around the island of Ezan-Throgg (on Brodo Asogi, nudity is the norm, with clothing typically reserved for royalty), and to resurrect his nine daughters in the form of aurorabirds (a species named for their beautiful, rainbow-coloured feathers). Fonhom's cloak magically sealed Ezan-Throgg from the rest of the world, although every leap year, his aurorabird daughters raise it for a single day, allowing the greater and lesser suns to shine upon the king's subjects.

One of the earliest Asogian interstellar colonies, a small, stormy world in a binary system some thirteen lightyears from their homeworld in the 'beak' of the Aurorabird constellation, was christened Ezan-Throgg by early settlers because of its thick cloud coverage. This planet later became the site of first contact between the Asogians and another intelligent species: nearly a decade after the Rolyat T'toile * arrived in orbit, a second generation ship was detected on the outskirts of the Ezan-Throgg system, this one launched by the Ortolans, a race of short, hairless blue-skinned marsupials, vaguely reminiscent of Earth elephants), a large number of whom were fleeing their home planet, which was suffering heavily from a rapidly-encroaching ice age.

* This starship was named after the ancient explorer and astronomer of the same name, who was the first Asogian to set foot upon the great southern continent of Rolyatra (which is named in his honour), where he was devoured by native plant-beasts shortly after his arrival.

View attachment 566623
A Brodo Asogian waits patiently for a ride.
Might be wise to include the map with the post.

I've started an ISOT project, based on one of my favourite songs,
DBowie ISOT map ... 0.png
DBowie ISOT map ... 1 (25 years later).png

Marvelous map again @Bob Hope , though the County of Ravensburg is unfilled in the smaller of your inset maps. And at the very peak of the United Duchies power two. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if there hasn’t been a map of this region and the Gelders war in print in the last twenty years, if even before. I do hope to see some of your references sometimes, as you must have come across quite a few maps and texts that I would love to read. I suppose they might be in German though, which is a shame for me. Ahhh, and did they ever refer to the United Duchies with Mark in the title? It certainly was equal in size to the other ones, though it was a County in title. As the ruling house was La Marck, I suppose they managed to get equal billing in another fashion. By the way, any significance to the yellow circles in the Alsace area within the white? Just preparing for the ten imperial cities the French end up occupying later on? Then again, I suppose those were closer to the Rhine.

EDIT: Ahhh, and it seems portions of the Prince-Bishopric of Friesing are not shown. You have the large portionsjust south of Bavaria as well as inside Archdual Austria, but it seems they still had areas in Slovene areas up until Napoleon and all the meditizations.

Last edited:

JK2004

Banned
South America if the world got invaded by aliens, in worlda format so sorry about the pixels
View attachment 566458

The darker areas are administrative centres, located at the equator so the invaders can set up space elevators there. Hyperloops are constructed that all pass through one of the spaceports, for more efficient resource extraction. The Andes aren't exactly an impediment for the aliens, but they are for the humans, and why waste a perfectly good natural border?

Probably gonna do the rest of the world later as well.
I would love to see the rest of the world😊

Perhaps my favorite thing about this map is the circle of hell that surrounds Greater Madrid.
Iberia did turn out kind of funny looking, but bordergore is the name of the game in the HRE.

Switzerland is... Oh, I feel it may well be the envy for some regions. Under what classification would you put things like the Teutonic Knights? Is that Sort of thing what you have the unlabeled grey color in Rhodes and the Baltics for? Also, this HRE have anything lie Electors or Imperial Circles? Also feel there would probably be republics around, though I am guessing that falls under Councildom.
Looks like I forgot to add a label in the key for military orders, which is the light gray color. In function this would be like the actual HRE but on a larger scale- maybe I could whip up a map of electors and imperial circles. The actual HRE didn't have republics, so I didn't want to stretch it that much. A councildom would be the closest thing, since it would be like a parliament without a king or queen.

1594919159700.png

So where does the Emperor hang his big hat?
I suppose the Emperor would either be in Rome or the capital city of his realm.

Broken China final.png

REGION PROFILE - CHINA

HISTORY

The history of China has lasted for millennia, starting when the Roman Empire was once still around. Dynasties had come and gone but despite that, China for centuries still prospered as the most wealthiest area of East Asia. This all changed in the dawn of the 19th century when European technology beat out China’s outdated technology, held back since China fell into isolationism. Many Chinese refer to this era as the “Century of Humiliation”, as a time when China’s military power decline, it’s wealth exploited and its slid into poverty, it’s government unstable and riddled with corruption.

The rotting Qing Dynasty fell to a republican revolution in 1912. The promises for a new stable and prosperous China were short-lived when warlord Yuan Shikai seized control of Peking and proclaimed himself as president, then emperor. The republicans revolted again and all of China fell into warlordism. In the 1930s though, the KMT (Nationalists) rose to power in Guangdong and expanded their authority throughout China, crushing various warlords. Despite communists attempting to seize power too, they were swept away and forced to flee into the mountainous countryside. China seemed to recover again, starting the “Nanjing Decade”, lasting from 1927 to 1937 when growth was on the rise and prosperity started to come back.

Dreams for a prosperous China under Chiang Kai Shek’s KMT were dashed when the Empire of Japan invaded China in 1937. The invasion lasted from 1937 to the end of WW2 in 1945 and was very destructive in China especially. The Japanese destroyed various cities, including the infamous “Rape of Nanking” in which China’s capital was razed to the ground by invading Japanese troops. Despite Japan occupying all of the Northeast and the coast, the Chinese refused to surrender and forced Japan into a stalemate. After the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, America went to war against Japan. Eventually, the Japanese were defeated in 1945 after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Despite China no longer occupied by the Japanese, the suffering had not yet ended.

The Nationalists were severely weakened by the Japanese Invasion, this provided a perfect opportunity for Mao’s communists to launch a takeover of China. With Soviet support, the communists took over the key industrial region of Manchuria and took over all of Northeast China. The disillusioned Nationalist troops were no match for the zealous communists and by 1949, all of mainland China was under their boot and the Nationalists fled to Taiwan. From 1950 to 1956, Mao attempted to modernize China to make them prosperous again and end the “Century of Humiliation”. This proved to be fatal, the replication of Stalin’s infamous Five Year Plan was met with the same results, mass starvation and terror.

After China was under the control of the communists, the Korean War had begun with the communist North invading the capitalist South. Thanks to UN intervention, the South Koreans were rescued and went back on the offensive. Mao’s paranoia showed when he feared the the UN was going to invade Manchuria so the communists decided to intervene in December 1950. The war eventually ground to a stalemate from 1951 to 1953, with neither side unable to defeat the other. Due to Mao’s refusal for peace and Stalin unwilling to intervene, the Americans had to take the fateful decisions to nuke multiple Chinese cities and bases in Manchuria to end the war. Stalin did not back Mao, which made him furious so he decided finally to end the Korean War. This also fostered a split between Mao and Stalin. Stalin could not tolerate an independent communist nation under his thumb, war was inevitable.

In 1956, a series of border skirmishes broke out between Chinese and Soviet forces in Mongolia and Manchuria. Both sides were unwilling to negotiate to prevent war, so had begun the Sino-Soviet War. The Soviets took the offensive, invading Inner Mongolia and Manchuria swiftly, defeating the poorly equipped Chinese forces. The Soviets also backed an Uighur uprising against the Chinese, which helped the Soviets conquer East Turkestan. The war eventually ended in a stalemate in 1957, with Soviet forces bogged down near Peking due to fierce Chinese resistance. Stalin decided to nuke Peking and multiple other Chinese cities and release a smallpox weapon on the Chinese. Mao survived the nuking of Peking but his reputation was lost so he was deposed by the politburo in 1958. The Soviets had won, as the spoils of war, they annexed East Turkestan as a new SSR, expanded Mongolia to take all of Inner Mongolia, and placed Manchuria under a brutal occupation zone.

The suffering the Chinese people faced after the Sino-Soviet War was detrimental. The communists seized all food from the peasants to support the war, causing a massive famine in the countryside. Most Chinese cities were smoldering ruins from Soviet nuclear attacks, there was no place to flee to, chaos and revolution behind to grip Mao’s China. In Sichuan, peasants mad with hunger proclaimed a new dynasty, the Tianshi Dynasty, centered around theocratic Taoism. Referred to as the “Yellow Banners”, they expanded their control across Sichuan Yunnan, Guizhou, Chongqing, and Guangxi with Soviet support. Tibetans revolted in the Kham region, and eventually, the Dalai Lama returned from exile in India back to Lhasa, where Tibetan rebels secured the city from the communists. Hui separatists also took advantage of the anarchy and carved out a state of their own.

As for the exiled nationalists, it was a golden opportunity to take back the mainland. Starting in 1958, nationalist troops secured Hainan and through Hong Long, took back Guangzhou from the communists, setting up a provisional capital there. Many former communist troops switched sides, being disillusioned with what communist had brought them. By 1960, the Nationalists controlled Guangdong, Fuijan, and Jiangxi. The People’s Republic of China turned on itself and became fairly isolated from the world. After Stalin’s death in 1958, Premier Malonkov attempted to reconcile with the Chinese but failed after he was deposed by the politburo. When the nationalist slowly drove the communists, the Chinese communists were no more than a Soviet satellite state. We can hope that eventually, the Century of Humiliation would eventually come to a close.

[Based off of the Twilight of the Red Tsar TL]

Last edited:

Starforce

Banned
View attachment 565489

Here's my attempt to put as many stars on the US flag as possible. In total there's 205 states.

Current 50 + 2 (American territories of Puerto Rico and Guam) + 13 (Canada’s provinces and territories) + 31 (Mexico’s states) + 1 (Greenland) + 1 (Cuba) + 1 (Guyana) + 27 (Ural, Siberian and Far Eastern federal districts) + 1 (Hong Kong) + 1 (Taiwan) + 1 (Philippines) + 1 (New Zealand)
+ 1 (US virgin Islands) + 1 (Iceland) + 4 (British Isles) + 1 (Upstate NY) + 1 (Michigan Panhandle) + 1 (Sicily) + 8 (Australia) + 1 (Ryukyu Islands) + 7 (Central America) + 12 (The rest of the Caribbean) + 1 (Franklin) + 1 (Sequoyah) + 1 (Lincoln) + 1 (Jefferson-Northwest) + 1 (Long Island) + 1 (Absaroka) + 2 (Israel/Palestine) + 1 (Albania) + 4 (Macaronesia) + 1 (Iraq) + 1 (Denmark) + 1 (Poland) + 14 (Most of the other PIF members) + 3 (Central Indonesia) + 1 (Hanian) + 4 (Northern South America)

If anyone wants to design a 205-star flag for this, let me know.

FINALLY AN INDEPENDENT UPSTATE NEW YORK! WOO!

Hope nobody minds me posting this here - since Map Thread XIX got locked I wasn't able to update the original post, although I've added another myth to my Star Wars project (original map can be found here, for other galactic fairy tales, see here).

Isle of Ezan-Throgg: Phantom island described in the legends of the Asogian people, a squat, puddle-footed race with brown skin and extending necks from the Outer Rim world of Brodo Asogi. Supposedly, the island of Ezan-Throgg lies off the western coast of the Vomestran continent, and is said to be perpetually shrouded by a thick mist, rendering it totally inaccessible to outsiders, except for on a leap day (which occurs every five years on Brodo Asogi), where the magical fog is lifted, and the island is visible to sailors. Over the centuries, countless explorers have claimed to have spotted Ezan-Throgg during their travels, often making wildly contradictory claims about the island and its inhabitants. The most famous literary account of Ezan-Throgg and its history is attributed to the ancient Asogian folklorist known as Nositham the Younger, who wrote that in the distant past, the island was visible for all 298 days of the year, and was ruled by a just and fair king named Fonhom, whose wife passed away shortly after giving birth to a litter of nine daughters.

One fateful leap day, King Fonhom returned from his hunt to discover that his palace had been ransacked by the dreaded Atarians (a seafaring people hailing from the northmost reaches of Vomestra), who had slain his guards, as well as all nine of the king's daughters. The grieving Fonhom realized that with his finest soldiers dead and his people vastly outnumbered, Ezan-Throgg did not stand a chance against its attackers, and prayed before Almighty Sacul, asking the king of the gods for the strength to defeat the Atarian invaders. Sacul heard Fonhom's prayer, and stretched out a single long, glowing finger, temporarily transferring a tiny spark of divine power into the young king's body. Immediately, Fonhom underwent an (incredibly painful) eldritch transformation, growing five times larger and ten times stronger, his mere glance capable of inducing fatal seizures in his enemies. Fonhom single-handedly slaughtered waves of Atarian warriors, with the few surviving soldiers retreating to their longships, vowing to never return to the island of the demon-king.

Although his domain was safe once more, Sacul's divine spark had taken its toll on the king's health: the powers of a god are not meant to reside within a mortal body, and by the time the last Atarian longship had retreated from Ezan-Throgg's shore, King Fonhom's skin had turned pasty white, and his burning heart was visible through his chest. With the last few ounces of his supernatural strength, Fonhom threw his black cloak around the island of Ezan-Throgg (on Brodo Asogi, nudity is the norm, with clothing typically reserved for royalty), and to resurrect his nine daughters in the form of aurorabirds (a species named for their beautiful, rainbow-coloured feathers). Fonhom's cloak magically sealed Ezan-Throgg from the rest of the world, although every leap year, his aurorabird daughters raise it for a single day, allowing the greater and lesser suns to shine upon the king's subjects.

One of the earliest Asogian interstellar colonies, a small, stormy world in a binary system some thirteen lightyears from their homeworld in the 'beak' of the Aurorabird constellation, was christened Ezan-Throgg by early settlers because of its thick cloud coverage. This planet later became the site of first contact between the Asogians and another intelligent species: nearly a decade after the Rolyat T'toile * arrived in orbit, a second generation ship was detected on the outskirts of the Ezan-Throgg system, this one launched by the Ortolans, a race of short, hairless blue-skinned marsupials, vaguely reminiscent of Earth elephants), a large number of whom were fleeing their home planet, which was suffering heavily from a rapidly-encroaching ice age.

* This starship was named after the ancient explorer and astronomer of the same name, who was the first Asogian to set foot upon the great southern continent of Rolyatra (which is named in his honour), where he was devoured by native plant-beasts shortly after his arrival.

View attachment 566623
A Brodo Asogian waits patiently for a ride.

Great Map! Though I always liked the idea that the Star Wars galaxy is an artificial galaxy that the precursor race dumped a bunch of primitive humans in

Great Map! Though I always liked the idea that the Star Wars galaxy is an artificial galaxy that the precursor race dumped a bunch of primitive humans in

Allegedly one of the canceled companion books to the original trilogy had it so that Earth humans sent a manned probe into a black hole, and it spat the astronauts out near Coruscant, and that's where the first humans in the SW galaxy came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.