Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
yikes

Those are some atrocious infant mortality rates.

1.5-2%, by current developped countries standard is bad indeed, but considering they are supposed to be illiterate near subsistance farmers, this is quite good, historical infant mortality rate were more around 30 to 50% for subsistance farmers.

Mexico's infant mortality rate today is 1.5%, so everything considered, this could be worse, the nazi must have taught them germ theory and there must be some basic medical structure.

2019 Padina national election (PNG).png

So after some fifty hours stretched over two weeks (and a couple projects being put on hold), I've finally finished a map requested by @Gian. POD is in the mid-1700s, with the Acadian Expulsion not happening. Two hundred years later, this snowballed into the birth of super-Canada, the Greater White North:

qB0btn9.jpg

I used the same basemap as the one on my Crown Atomic map, but I pulled all the stops to improve upon the former, with extra details and a larger resolution -- I can confidently say this is my best map to date. Writeup's also coming soon, though it'll be on the version which I'll post in my dA.

Hope you like!
You know how sometimes you see maps in historical atlases and marvel at how they managed to depict such a high level of detail down to every single lake and every town and road and city? This map gave me that feeling!

This is super cool!
How much contact do civilisations have with each other? What are the major nations, or will that come in a followup map?
Also, I assume bad things will happen if the continent in the bottom-right corner discovers everyone else. Really bad. Like, Krikketmen bad.

Major nations will come in a follow up map much later, and there's general "regions" of awareness; the 'lower Mediterranean' is aware of their basin and adjacent to it, as well as the steampunk Indians being these semi-mythical people who show up sometimes on trade or exploration missions. The 'upper Mediterranean' is the general dominion of the "Roman Horse People" and they're aware up to the Cossacks, Greco-Persianized Huns, Greco-Bactrian Boys and Turkic mastodon and camel riders, and Greco-Persians. The "eastern white people" are aware of up to the 'Cossacks' and the "hot ethnic mess," and have heard tales of beast-riders to the south, almond-eyed folk past the coastal turks, and a great empire that sits on a great 'ocean' to the west, and have heard tales of a new land across the sea to the East. Everyone in the "Polynesian basin" is aware of everyone else due to the Polynesians facilitating trade, hence the "black weebs and sinophiles."

The "medieval Canada" is aware of the "western coast of europe" and the 'Powhatan'. Because the 'Aztecs' and 'Tarascans' are constantly at war and jealously guarding their trade routes/rackets, they're only both mutually aware of the various Maya, but they do know that other civilizations lie beyond their waters, because war first broke out over trying to pursue trade in the other's territory. The 'Tarascans' do have an awareness of some "Empire of The Rivers" deep in the jungles to the south, but have only ever had indirect contact with them. Both have contact with the Powhatan. Aztecs like trading with the city-states to the north, and Tarascans like trading with the Inca to the south. Both can't expand their empires much because they're constantly fighting. It's very much meant to be a take on the long Anglo-French rivalry. The Inca are keenly aware of the Jungle dinosaur empire, and do trade with them but it's kind of like "we both have nearly everything we could want, so meh."

As for isolated China-proper, yeah, it'll be bad. Mostly for them, but also eventually for everyone else. They're worldview is gonna be rocked when explorers show up like "hey." It's very much the new world analogue.

Why did they colonize Newfoundland of all places first? There are loads of nice, temperate places to settle before there.
The first colonization ship was heading for Nova Scotia, but was forced to go off course due to severe storms.
Also they had actually gone for the Rest of the British Isles first.

Last edited:
So while working on a totally different project I realized we didn't have any good Worlda maps referencing African ethnic groups. Obviously this is a result of Worlda's bias towards state-level societies, but I always thought that wasn't really fair. So, here's a map that I hope people will find useful as a reference. Note that I did my best but there may be some inaccuracies or anachronisms, so use with caution. If anyone is more knowledgeable and can correct some mistakes I'd be happy to do a second version.

African_Ethnic_Groups.png

Okay, let's suppose they did go off course and land in Greenland. Why stay? Ditto for Iceland. I mean, yeah, they're habitable, but they aren't exactly the most hospitable of places considering the world is literally theirs for the taking.

Also, I would have expected most of northern France and Germany to get colonised well before anywhere in north America.

Okay, let's suppose they did go off course and land in Greenland. Why stay? Ditto for Iceland. I mean, yeah, they're habitable, but they aren't exactly the most hospitable of places considering the world is literally theirs for the taking.

Also, I would have expected most of northern France and Germany to get colonised well before anywhere in north America.
Honestly, I was going more for "rule of funny" for this, though if we're looking for a serious answer........nope, I've got nothing.

So after some fifty hours stretched over two weeks (and a couple projects being put on hold), I've finally finished a map requested by @Gian. POD is in the mid-1700s, with the Acadian Expulsion not happening. Two hundred years later, this snowballed into the birth of super-Canada, the Greater White North:

qB0btn9.jpg

I used the same basemap as the one on my Crown Atomic map, but I pulled all the stops to improve upon the former, with extra details and a larger resolution -- I can confidently say this is my best map to date. Writeup's also coming soon, though it'll be on the version which I'll post in my dA.

Hope you like!
As someone from Wisconsin I would be happy with this, O Canada

qB0btn9.jpg

Hope you like!

37/10, not enough Canada. :cool:

2hhmbl2.png

The finished version of the WIP I posted a few days ago. It's fairly self explanatory, with the title is on the map, but for context, this is some 1500 years before the events of the War of the Ring. Most of the map is canon, but some parts are drawn from the various RPGs that have been produced for this setting. It was made in part for a worldbuilding project and also for an NG on here.

Last edited:
2hhmbl2.png

The finished version of the WIP I posted a few days ago. It's fairly self explanatory, the title is on the map. For context, this is some 1500 years before the events of the War of the Ring. Most of the map is canon, but some parts are drawn from the various RPGs that have been produced for this setting. It was made in part for a worldbuilding project and also for an NG on here.
I made a LOTR BAM at one point, though it looked really ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.