Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a world where the American Revolution never happened, and the French Revolution fell apart. Highlights include a Buddhist khanate in Europe (Kalmykia or Oriat), an industrialized Qing Dynasty, and a Maratha Empire on level footing with Europe (and with solid-fuel rocket artillery). The current year is 1850.
View attachment 421828 View attachment 421829
Sorry that your map got overshadowed by an attention-seeking dip. The map is very pretty- I especially like the look of Louisiana- but where is the Khanate? Is it supposed to be Russia? And how did the Maratha Empire get on level footing with Europe if the PoD is no American Revolution?

From a world where the American Revolution never happened, and the French Revolution fell apart. Highlights include a Buddhist khanate in Europe (Kalmykia or Oriat), an industrialized Qing Dynasty, and a Maratha Empire on level footing with Europe (and with solid-fuel rocket artillery). The current year is 1850.

Interesting map! What's the deal with the stratocratic state in Tasmania and the South Island?

WW2Europe.png

So, leaving all the ban drama out.

Here's a map of Europe in 1947, that I made for Zoidberg12 timeline A Darker World War II: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ar-ii-a-timeline-reboot-by-zoidberg12.406656/. Check that TL it's probably one of my favourites here.

Well as they say in numerous films, television dramas, and every dramatic comedy-adventure story yet, if you're going to go down, you might as well go down in flames
I feel we should look to the movie CLUE to guide us. Mainly in the following line.
Wadsworth said:
Now, I suggest that we stack the bodies in the cellar, lock it, leave quietly, one at a time, and pretend than none of this has ever happened.

If you look at it to closely it probably falls apart, but I had fun....
June 8th 1865.

San Francisco California (acting capital), United States of America.

“Dad,” Joe Cartwright said as he grasped his father on the shoulder and, with a firm shake, attempted to roust the man from his slumber. “Wake up dad it’s urgent.”

“Hmm? What is it Joseph?” His father mumbled in response as he shrugged off his youngest son and somewhat begrudgingly sat upright in his bed.

“Someone’s shot President Whiteaker.”

“He’s not seriously hurt is he?”

“He’s…” Little Joe began only to trail off, unsure how to say what needed to be said. After only a moment though he found his words and continued, “He’s dead.”

“Then that means… oh God.” Benjamin Cartwright gasped as the whole of the world seemed to settle onto his shoulders.

*****​

In 1905 as the world marked four decades since the day California, Oregon and Nevada were torn from their own world and deposited on one devoid of human life there was no way any but a small handful could have known that Benjamin Cartwright, the man who had done much to ensure stability in those first chaotic years, had closed the final chapter of his long life. While he had once harbored ambitions for the territorial governorship Cartwright had not gone out of his way to seek office after the event, and when he had arrived in Sacramento as one of Nevada’s delegates to the emergency convention that was to reform the Federal Government he himself had speculated that his contributions would be minor when compared to those of established politicians.

As fate would have it though his stature rose rapidly as the acrimonious convention struggled to reconstitute the central bureaucracy of their country, and when the votes were cast to establish whom would be the Vice President to former Oregon Governor John Whiteaker’s President it came as only a minor surprise when he was both nominated and selected for the post. As history would ultimately show though remaking the government was the easy part of the United States’ endeavors, for as the months rolled by and the weight of the crisis bore ever further down on the beleaguered republic it began to seem as if the country might cease to be despite their best efforts. Shortages of things imported, scarcity of employment as the economy crashed, fear amongst the populace that the end times were upon them, and an anemic response to it all by the Whiteaker administration and congress all served to bring civil society to the edge of collapse.

The tipping point seemed as if it had come on the night of June eighth 1865 when the President was shot through the heart by a man convinced the only way to end all of their suffering was to hasten the demise of the government trying to hold back the tide of anarchy. In an instant John Whiteaker was dead, and while in the days that followed the situation did further deteriorate under the steady hand of Benjamin Cartwright things ever so slowly began to improve as the summer wore on. In the months that followed, and under the urging of the new President, the government took what were at the time extraordinary measures to bring about stability, and while many would in the years that followed never be repeated and their legality was questioned in some circles no one dared to publically deny that the union had been saved.

By 1866 the situation, while still tenuous, had stabilized, and in the first post event elections Ben Cartwright was swept to a term in his own right in a landslide. Under immense public pressure he would run for and win another term four years later, and by his second inauguration the world had fallen into a dull and quiet new normal. In the years since the United States has expanded outward in all directions, new nations have risen in Central and South America, Ben’s eldest son would ascend to the Presidency, and the smoke of industry would again mar the skylines of the two American continents. Things, in their way, may look as if they have gone stagnant, but as a titan of the ninetieth century passes away and the twentieth century comes into its own one can tell change is in the air, and that nothing is as it once was….

Bonanza ISOT.png

Last edited:
Sorry that your map got overshadowed by an attention-seeking dip. The map is very pretty- I especially like the look of Louisiana- but where is the Khanate? Is it supposed to be Russia? And how did the Maratha Empire get on level footing with Europe if the PoD is no American Revolution?

Louisiana has been converted into a sort of North American equivalent of the Congo Free State- in union with Spain and personally owned by the king. The Khanate is in Azerbaijan, and was founded by Buddhists forced out of Sinkiang by the Dzungars. The Maratha Empire is on level footing with European powers because without the AWI and Napoleonic Wars, European militaries have become complacent, and have not had the opportunity to advance as quickly in tactics and technology. Furthermore, there was no clear winner of India in Europe, because of no Napoleonic wars. As a result, the British, French, Dutch, and Portuguese are all trying to win over the Maratha and blocking each other off from colonizing, while the Marathi are quietly copying their technologies. This allowed the Maratha to catch up technologically and industrialize, with its river basins becoming major industrial hubs. Without as much European meddling on the subcontinent, India is able to support itself in terms of food, by growing food instead of cash crops. This forestalled famines, which hurt India's population. However, India's equal position is fleeting. While they were successful in the first part of industrialization, it is unlikely that they will be able to maintain their technological edge.

Interesting map! What's the deal with the stratocratic state in Tasmania and the South Island?

The color I used in Tasmania and the South Island signifies an elective monarchy. Each of these- the Maori and the Tasmanians- are independent states that are in a thorny position of deciding whether to cut themselves off from the world, or whether to embrace the outside and risk colonization by the British or some other power.

So, just a little thing I've been working on. It's still miles away from being ready, so just a little teaser for now.

CtK2wBm.png

So, just a little thing I've been working on. It's still miles away from being ready, so just a little teaser for now.

CtK2wBm.png

I love that you included New Iceland as a distinct administrative unit. In fact I don't think many people at all know that it exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.