Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
nborn Kopie (1) (1).png

Made something again. There was also supposed to be a short text next to it but i had to get rid of it for the upload size limit :(
POD is basically a more successful von Overbeck mission for Austria-Hungary and Germany accepting Captain Schücks offer for overlordship over Sulu. After Austria later collapses in a war against the Russian Empire in a more contained WW1 known in this TL as the Great Eastern War, Germany gains control of most Habsburg overseas possessions. The island of Palawan was sold to the German Empire during the Spanish-American War as compensation for unpaid Spanish war debts.
Questions and Feedback welcome!

Landscape and People
The Territory of the German protectorate of Sabah consists of three territories: Northern Borneo, also known as Sabah, the Sulu-Archipelago and the island of Palawan. The inland of all these territories are covered by tropical forests while the coastlines are mostly dominated by mangroves. The mountainous middle lands of Sabah are covered with deep river valleys that are flanked by massive mountain ranges, whose peaks are almost as high as those of the Alps.

The inhabitants of the protectorate are mostly muslims, though polytheistic folk-religions are still practiced in the Hinterlands. Christianity only has a small following despite being spread since first contact with Europeans. The majority of the natives are similar in appearance to other ethnicities of Insulindia. Along Sabahs coasts there are also small Chinese and Arab communities, some of which have been running trade ports for generations. Recently the Chinese population in costal cities has been rising massively due to the import of Chinese laborers.

History
In the 15th Century the two Sultanates of Sulu and Brunei established themselves as regional powers and fought for control over Sabah and the surrounding islands. Colonization attempts by the Spanish, Dutch and Americans between the 16th and late 18th Century were mostly unsuccessful. Foreign pressure increased in the 19th Century with increasing European economic and military supremacy.

In 1877 the Sultan of Sulu chose to establish the Sulu-Archipelago as a protectorate of the still young German Empire via Captain Hermann Leopold Schück. The Sutlan of Brunei decided to sell many of his possessions and titles to the Austrian adventereur Baron Gustav von Overbeck in the same year. In 1878 Overbeck purchased the remaining possessions of Sulu in Sabah. Two years later he put all the territories he owned under the protection of Austria-Hungary.

After the Spanish-American war Spain sold the island of Palawan along several pacific islands to Germany as compensation for unpaid war depts. Palawan was united with the Sulu-protectorate since it had historical ties to the Sultanate.

After the collapse of the Austrian government during the Great Eastern War in 1913 several factions declared parts of Sabah as independent. On invitation of the Austrian colonial governor Sabah was occupied by German colonial troops and all uprisings were quelled by 1914. In the Treaties of Geneva Sabah was awarded to Germany as the successor of Austria. The two protectorates of Sabah and Sulu were united in 1917 into the Sunda-Protectorate. The two Sultans of Sulu and Brunei still play a role in administration, though only a very representative one.

Economy
The Sunda-Protectorate is by far the richest and most successful of the pacific colonies. It is extremely rich in tropical wood and natural resources like Oil,Copper, Iron, Chromium and Nickel. The land is also ideal for growing crops like coffee, cacao and tropical fruits. Fishing is also heavily practiced with the Sulu Sea is the richest in fish in northern Insulindia.

Attachments

• nborn (1) (1) (1).jpg
    nborn (1) (1) (1).jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Which Map is which ethic exactly?

I think it mostly goes along the Stellaris spectrum thingy, with opposites at each end.

HRE is spiritualist, Technate materialist is the most obvious one
Stratocracy is militarist so Free Germany is pacifist.
GDR is authoritarian and FRG is egalitarian
And then that leaves the nazis as xenophobes, and Eurabia as xenophiles (which kinda yikes, but it makes sense I guess)

I'm sure they can find a way to tack them onto the Circassians. Just need to add a couple vowels or consonants.

Well, what about the Huns? Or the Mongol Hordes, for that matter! Just because Genghis Khan is dead, doesn't mean he's going to give up!

EDIT: not to mention dinosaurs! Dinosaurs screwing Russia, I mean, like a T-rex eating Putin with all his bear?

Well, what about the Huns? Or the Mongol Hordes, for that matter! Just because Genghis Khan is dead, doesn't mean he's going to give up!
EDIT: not to mention dinosaurs! Dinosaurs screwing Russia, I mean, like a T-rex eating Putin with all his bear?
Screw Iron Sky, screw Kung Fury, we need a movie about Putin leading army of bear mutants against undead Genghis khan and his dinosaur horde!

KapiTod

Banned
Well, you know, even the Romans knew you had to be careful with steppe nomads
They'd put those signs close to where they'd put enslaved horde folk
They said "Cave khanem"

Romans fighting the Huns is as ahistorically cool as when they fought the Vikings in How to Train your Dragon.

Still want there to be Romans in that series some day.

There was a battle between Romans and Huns, historically.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains

I was just about to say (well write) "but Romans did fight the Huns" but you I saw that you already did it.

Also new thread idea (probably not in this sub-forum though) "things that look like Alternate History/Fiction Or that you would consider ASB in a timeline... that is actually real/that actually happened". Does it (well something similar) already exist? And if yes can someone give me a link?

View attachment 420556
My current project of Republics vs Monarchies Cold War Mostly complete in Africa, Europe and Americas. Any comments, questons or suggestions?
View attachment 420558
Something I was working on some time ago. Needs polishing and also a complete legend. When I have time (quite possibly next year) I will look unto redoing the legend. Like above critic is not only welcome but hoped for.

By the way these maps bring into my attention that I should at least do some maps with weak Britain/Commonwealth and weak Turkey (ok those happened but they were in an Axis Victory [an old piece I called DystopiaWorld. other than Jewish Madagascar entire world was under Nazi, Fascist or Imperial Japanese rule with the sole exception of Apartheid South Africa] or close to OTL). With quite possibly a strong USA or China. I mean I have strongish Chinas and USAs but that's mostly because those maps are closer to OTL (or old). At least I have weak Prussia/Germany in some of my maps so that helps. I mean since this is a hobby strengthening the countries I like is fun and harmless but some difference is necessary.

I was just about to say (well write) "but Romans did fight the Huns" but you I saw that you already did it.

Also new thread idea (probably not in this sub-forum though) "things that look like Alternate History/Fiction Or that you would consider ASB in a timeline... that is actually real/that actually happened". Does it (well something similar) already exist? And if yes can someone give me a link?
There is a thread on historical misconceptions, as well as one about images that look like alt history. Though for the latter I think a lot of people would just make up things for the pictures, rather than explaining the situation. The thread has had a long life, so it has varied.

Screw Iron Sky, screw Kung Fury, we need a movie about Putin leading army of bear mutants against undead Genghis khan and his dinosaur horde!

Khan Fury, the sequel to the hit Kung Fury

[Bad '80s movies generator mode activate]
[Bad 2010s movies generator mode ativate]
PROCESSING
PROCESSING
PROCESSING

OK, how about bare-chested Amazons riding dinosaurs and dark magick-resurrected zombie cheerleaders screwing up Russia?

Deleted member 94708

WIP, although the map itself is mostly done:a world in which Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan dies before he becomes *J*A*C*K *R*Y*A*N and things go often pear-shaped. A lot of notes and a scenario to add, and still not happy with Iran, so may change in final version.

I’m not sure that I buy super-China. I know the backstory to the Ryanverse Chinese attempt to invade Russia and it’s not plausible; if the Russians couldn’t repel a Chinese assault conventionally they’d absolutely go nuclear. Reduce a dozen Chinese cities to ash, demand their surrender, rinse, and repeat as needed until there are no remaining PLA troops on Russian soil.

I think this scenario would be better served with a green, glowing China than one that owns a third of Russia.

Of course a mostly isolationist US+Western Europe would mean that even in your scenario, this whole “free trade” thing never really took root and China is decades behind OTL economically and technologically.

I know once upon a time there was a "Things that look like Alternate History but aren't" thread. Don't know where it was or what happened to it. But it's somewhere out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.