Map Thread XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
the_new_albion_canada_common_area__1970__by_mekul565-dcpv15r.png

Link to high quality image: https://i.redd.it/9owwfq7jx8t11.png
This is a map of the New Albion-Canada Common Area in a fictional magazine, Liberal Daily (Named after the Liberal Party of New Albion). The provisions of this agreement include common market, partial freedom of movement, and later common currency.

Other maps in this timeline: www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps…

www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps…

www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps…

Something I've been working on in my spare time.

pXqCYNw.jpg

Nothing too ambitious, just a map of the Three Kingdoms. Figured I could make one that has most all the locations mentioned in the Romance.

Unfortunately, the physical side of the map is a hodgepodge of ancient and modern features, owing to contradictory information from the basemaps I've used. I had to reduce the coastline bordering the Yellow Sea and the Yangtze River Delta (and will probably do the same to the Pearl River later), but at the same time I had to keep the rivers and lakes (and their corresponding shapes) from a previous map of mine because I wasn't able to find basemaps with accurate representations of the river system of 2nd century China.

Also, my basemaps couldn't agree on how much of Korea the Han controlled, which could vary from "just a strip of northwest Korea" to "everything from the Yalu to the Namhan". I'm familiar with the Four Commanderies, but I'm not sure how big they were or what they looked like; the contradictions from my references only complicates matters further.

Any advice for my conundrum is appreciated!

Also no Mongol invasions, so the Germans in Russia went through a bit of a golden age and now the region is a pretty thorough mix of Germans and Slavs.

Why does everyone support the Drang Nach Osten? :p

Interesting scenario: is this part of a larger setting, or a one-off? Love the effort put into the alt-names.

(An "old Burgundy" controlling northern Italy is a cool idea, but wouldn't it have trouble colonizing the Americas if one of its competitors (the Moors) was sitting on the throat of the Mediterranean?)

Isaac Beach

Banned
Why does everyone support the Drang Nach Osten? :p

Interesting scenario: is this part of a larger setting, or a one-off? Love the effort put into the alt-names.

(An "old Burgundy" controlling northern Italy is a cool idea, but wouldn't it have trouble colonizing the Americas if one of its competitors (the Moors) was sitting on the throat of the Mediterranean?)

Oh you know, I did shave today and for about ten minutes I had a Hitler mustache so maybe my inner call for Lebensraum kicked in ;). But I think it's just a natural progression of Ostsiedlung. Plus the idea of European Russia being a mess of Slavic, German and Finnic principalities fascinates me, particularly without the Mongols storming through and killing everyone. If I were to do another map it'd probably be on that. I like big ethnic hodgepodges (hence why it's on my bingo card, aha).

And thanks! The names took a fair amount of time so I'm glad they're appreciated. It's really just a one off, though I could imagine ways to expand it. The idea of an English Siberia has been bouncing around my head for months so I finally threw this together to get it out. I don't intend to take it anywhere, though if others do that'd be fine by me.

Yeah I did consider that at length and I've not got a 100% full-proof answer, if I'm honest. Maybe a Gibraltar situation where Burgundy owns the straits, or they used an intermediary that does have an Atlantic coastline such as an alt-Netherlands or Hanseatic League. Or a reverse Granada where southern Spain has a small Christian principality that incidentally controls the straits. I did consider giving them basically all of southern France while making Francia more of a France + Germany sort of thing, but that didn't really jive for my purposes.
In short: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

How did Denmark lose Greenland (and not have the Norwegians making a claim to at least a portion of it like their did with Erik the Redland) and why are they and the Norwegians under he French aegis? Seems like it would be tempting fate against the Germans, and the Danes were pretty much just hoping to keep neutral in everything.

EDIT: Just noticed the thing with Jordan. Is this Jordan getting a lot of extra land for no reason, or is this showing Winston's Hiccup in full?

Last edited:
Like the Timurids ending up in Northern Russia, of all places.
Sorry, this is a bit anachronistic. It's empire of this man.
AZERBAIJAN HAS WARM WATER PORT.
Of course! Can you imagine Azerbaijan without warm water port?
THIS MAP IS LOVE, this map is LIFE
Thank you.
is that a doki doki reference?
No, it isn't. I didn't play in this game. But the idea is interesting.

"Free City?"
*Free Cities.
The first thing I saw was the Malta wank, and like, that seemed pretty cool, I was interested, and then I looked over to Asia and WOW.
Thank you.
I thought that said "Emirate of Japan" and was fully prepared to accept it, with the rest of the map as it was.
It's the interesting idea too.
Does "Just Romania" mean "It's only Romania, nothing more" or does it mean "Romania is a place of JUSTICE!" Maybe a bit of both?
It means "It's only Romania, nothing more. And it's not a great Romania or weaker Romania, it's just Romania.".

...I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

How did that come about?

Along similar lines to North and South Dakota. Maryland has shown some interest in getting rid of the Eastern Shore, and the Democrats in office wanted to increase their majority, so Delmarva seemed like a reasonable way to go about doing that.

As long as the capital's in Dover!

I can't think of a better place for it to be.

Along similar lines to North and South Dakota. Maryland has shown some interest in getting rid of the Eastern Shore, and the Democrats in office wanted to increase their majority, so Delmarva seemed like a reasonable way to go about doing that.

This screwing of Maryland has now inspired me to make a map of a much, MUCH bigger Old Line State.

Still not all too happy about this, but hey, it's your scenario. Do as you please.

Magellan's Unexpected Journey
Earth - 1565
ASOIAF - 297
___1565_by_sera_fim-dcpeuf8.png

Original ASOIAF map by 33k7
I’ve been thinking about this map more, and I just realized that this would make a great EUIV mod. The only thing that would need to be done is to fix the projection of the map in order to fit everything in, but imagine exploring Essos/Westeros as a European power.

@BMN fantastic map, but don't forget the Anglo-French condominium over the New Hebrides, the islands comprising Vanuatu today. You're also missing French India.

A continuation of the map for It Started With a Blue Haired Otaku:

6-22-2018 12-00 PM.png
And just so you know, Ron Swanson wasn't ISOTed - he's a part of the FBI ITTL.

Here's the remainder of the Manchurian maps:

Yes, I know how Chinese names work, but I needed to distinguish Ma Zhanshan's resistance army from the clique based in Tsinghai, also called Ma.

Resistance at Nenjiang Bridge

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.18.29 PM.png

• A - Soviets back Chin Shu-jen in Sinkiang (Oct 1931)
  • B - Manchurian defectors begin offensive operations in support of the Japanese (Oct 13 1931)
  • C - Zhang Hseuh-liang appoints Ma Zhanshan as military governor of Heilungkiang (16 October 1931)
  • D - Ma Zhanshan engages Japanese troops attempting to cross the Nen River (4 Nov 1931)

Jinzhou Campaign

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-3-59-21-pm-png.415402

• A - Chinese Soviet Republic declared (7 Nov 1931)
  • B - Japanese occupy Qiqihar (18 Nov 1931)
  • C - Kumul Khanate defeated (30 Nov 1931)
  • D - Japanese advance on Jinzhou (21 Dec 1931)
  • E - Japanese occupy Jinzhou (3 Jan 1932)

Defense of Harbin

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-4-01-31-pm-png.415403

• A - Japanese occupy Shanhaiguan (4 Jan 1932)
  • B - Japanese and their Manchurian allies attack Harbin (25 Jan 1932)
  • C - Japanese attack Shanghai (28 Jan 1932)
  • D - Chinese forces retreat from Harbin (5 Feb 1932)

Creation of Manchukuo

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-4-02-32-pm-png.415406

• A - Chinese “Volunteer Armies” begin insurgent operations in Kirin and Fengtian (8 Feb 1932)
  • B - Heilungkiang defects to the Japanese (14 Feb 1932)
  • C - Kirin provincial government surrenders to the Japanese, but volunteer armies continue the fighting (27 Feb 1932)
  • D - Kyrghiz revolt in Sinkiang (Mar 1932)
  • E - Ceasefire in Shanghai (3 Mar 1932)
  • F - The Japanese military command in Manchuria appoints Cheng Hsiao-hsu as the Prime Minister of the Manchu State (9 Mar 1932)

Outbreak of the Sino-Tibetan War

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-4-04-24-pm-png.415407

• A - Tibet invades Tsinghai (24 Mar 1932)
  • B - Ma Zhanshan establishes a unified command over the Volunteer Armies from his base in Heihe (7 Apr 1932)
  • C - Revolt against Soviet influence in Mongolia (10 Apr 1932)
  • D - Volunteer Armies threaten Mukden (May 1932)

Battle of Surmang

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-4-12-30-pm-png.415410

• A - Brief Mongol rebellion against the Japanese (Aug 1932)
  • B - Japanese defeat Ma Zhanshan at Qiqihar (31 August 1932)
  • C - Tibetans defeated at Surmang (Sept 2 1932)

Pacification of Manchukuo

Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 4.42.44 PM.png

• A - Soviets crush Mongolian revolt (Oct 1932)
  • B - Han Fu-chü assumes control of eastern Shantung (Nov 1932)
  • C - Japanese defeat insurgents in Fengtian (20 Nov 1932)
  • D - Japanese defeat Ma Zhanshan (5 Dec 1932)
  • E - Insurgents in Kirin retreat into Soviet territory, ending organized resistance to Japanese dominance in Manchukuo (8 Jan 1932)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.