Map Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.
This little oneshot was inspired by a fellow posting -a little incessantly- the Danube Basin, and wondering if a country based on such boundaries would be plausible. The POD he gave was after WWI, which makes it frankly completely implausible, but I believe a much earlier POD would allow the creation and sustenance of such a nation, though it's a bit indefensible on some of it's borders such as where OTL Moldova and Moravia lie. As such, the POD lies in the Germanic Migrations; for some reason or another they were forced to the south-east instead of west, and so ended up flooding into the Balkans where they eventually settled en masse, as well as Italy and parts of Scandinavia. The vacuum they left across Western Europe would instead be filled by Slavs and behind them Turks.

Give it a few centuries of Medievalism, Renaissance, Colonialism and Modernity and as of MMDCCLXIX (Or, to us, 2017 AD) the Federation of Darceny has been born, its name derived from ye olde Dacia, the result of the gradual confederation and submersion of various Germanic nations into the second largest country in Europe after Tlēckacistan. Speaking of which, I should explain the nations surrounding it.

We have Boljery, a Germanic Bulgaria that I just realised has a hella anachronistic name given the Bulgars were Turks. Greckoland, a pretty straightforward Germanic Greece (insert Greek debt memes here). Bel Lione, a Latin Albania which is only named as such because I saw 'Bel Lione' in a book and thought it'd be a kickass name for a country. Röm, a Germanic Italy that also includes most of Dalmatia and large parts of Switzerland and southern France. Cheganny, a Slavic Germany. And Tlēckacistan, a Turkic country stretching rather roughly from modern Poland to the midst of the Ukraine and north into the Baltic (And which bears an awkward resemblance to 'Kekistan' but what can you do?).

I'll be sure to come back and give it a proper description (on my Deviantart, anyway) at some point, including population statistics, religion, economics and all that good stuff, but I've had a rather exhausting day and just wanted to get this posted. Though I'm happy to take questions.

And as a bonus. Though I don't think flags are an inevitability of history it's nice to imagine what they might bear as their symbol. The green represents the bountiful basin their nation exists within, whilst the blue represents the brilliant Danube that cuts through it. In the center lies the Dacian Draco, adopted as a symbol of the Germanic people in a craze of Antiquarian renaissance.

At first I was going to use a Valknut, but that's more associated with Scandinavia and I haven't seen any archaeological evidence to suggest otherwise.

View attachment 335569

Very nice! I've wanted to do a timeline with a Germanic Balkans for a while, glad somebody else got around to it. The most important question- is Darceny pronounced with a hard or soft c?

Also, how Germanic is Greece? Should I be looking at, say, England or France as an analogue in terms of Germanic culture and influence? And are there any Romance languages spoken in the Germanic parts of Europe?

It never ceases to amaze me how we've managed to fall to infighting across multiple sites.

I assumed this would be a rather benign community, if anything.

Enough of intersite drama, have a gander at a map that will be part of a reboot of my TL (soonish
NewWorldOrder.png
)

spanish_florida_keys_by_federalrepublic-dbhuqie.png

So I made this little map over the course of two days. Not very complex but I had fun making it. Enjoy!

The Spanish Florida Keys Autonomous Territory is a small possession of the Spanish Republic located just off the shore of the Third Southron Republic's Florida peninsula between the Gulf of Mexico and the Straits of Florida. About 133 km² big and housing a population of 51,956 (more than half of the population lives in the capital Ciudad de Cayo Hueso), the Spanish Florida Keys are both the biggest and the least populated of all of Spain's three Autonomous Territories (Melilla and Ceuta). The Florida Keys were originally a Spanish possession starting in around 1513 when Spain first began to settle the Floridian peninsula and, with a twenty years long break from 1763 to 1783, stayed with Spain until the ratification of the Adam-Onís Treaty in 1821. Florida and the Florida became part of the United States of America and even gained statehood in 1845. When the American Secessionist War broke out in 1861 Florida was one of the states to secede from the Union and joined the Confederated States of America (occasionally referred to as the First Southron Republic) and Florida remained part of the Confederacy after the war ended in a stalemate in 1864. The modern Spanish Florida Keys continued to be an appendage to the Confederate state of Florida until the end of the Spanish-Confederate (in Cuba often referred to as the Cuban-Confederate) War in 1874 in which Spain seized the Lower Florida Keys (including the Dry Tortugas and the Marquesas Keys) as a victory spoil and attached them to the colony of Cuba. When Cuba gained independence in 1911 the Spanish Florida Keys remained with Spain and became their own distinct colony. During the territorial reforms of the Spanish Republic in the early 1950s the remaining Spanish colonies were either integrated into Spain proper as an Autonomous Region (Puerto Rico), turned into Overseas Nations (Equatorial Guinea and Micronesia), or in the case of the Spanish Florida Keys an Autonomous Territory.

Today the Spanish Florida Keys are a popular tourist destination, primarily attracting Spaniards, Cubans and Texans, with about 70 percent of all employees working in the service sector, with government (including military) employment making up about 15 percent, and the remaining 15 percent being divided among fishing, salt production, and manufacturing. As an Autonomous Territory the Spanish Florida Keys are just like Spain proper part of the European Community. The Spanish Florida Keys are also still a sore spot in Spanish-Southron relations, with the maritime border being heavily patrolled by both sides.

Last edited:
Wouldn't a POD that got rid of Islam also butterfly away Protestantism? No Crusades, fewer bloated and often corrupt holy orders, no sack of Constantinople, no Latin Empire, maybe even no East-West Schism...

The schism I'd say is still inevitable. The Pope just isn't going to surrender and take the ceremonial position of first among equals unless forced to.

ottoman.png

Greece: After the Treaty of Baku, which ended the Second Greco-Turkish war, Greece got parts of the Catalca Peninsula and the Turkish aegean territories. They are an economic powerhouse in the region, and are doing pretty good.

Turkey: Turkey is a shadow of it’s former self. The death of Turkey’s first president, Cemal Gursen, in 1966 led to political instability in the country. Their economy is a mess and the radical right and left are rising in power. The military also holds a considerable amount of power in politics, and Turkey was in a military dictatorship from 1987 to 1996 under General Ata Tosun.

Kurdistan: The Kurdistani Popular Front has been increasingly hostile to the Kingdom of Arabia and Iran, and has turned Kurdistan into a pariah state. Their only friend is Armenia.

Cyprus: The election of an ultranationalist anglophobic party has some in the UK worried.

Kingdom of Arabia: This country’s history can be described as the Ottoman Empire’s history speedrun. In just 62 years they turned from an economic powerhouse and a secondary power to a country riddled with ethnic and religious tensions. Kurdish, Jewish and Shi’ite terror attacks happen sometimes. Whether they will be able to hold on or fall like the Ottomans is unknown.

Dodecanese Republic: Italian political instability in the 1980s have led to local officials declaring the Italian territories independent in 1984.

Egypt: The biggest and only Arab Republic. Nothing much goes there. They have a good situation.

Libya: Like the Dodecanese Republic, Libya declared independence in 1984. Nothing much happens there.

Sudan: A theocratic, North Korea like state ruled by a Mahdi. Propaganda is extremely hostile to Ethiopia, Darfur, Egypt and Libya.

Armenia: Like Kurdistan but more moderate. Has grudges against both Georgia and Azerbaijan.

Circassia, Chechnya and Dagestan: Made Independent after the Second Grand war. Nothing much happens there.

Russia: Like Turkey, but with a better economy.

Jabal Shammar: Rich with oil, the Kingdom of Jabal Shammar is doing pretty well. As they are not allied with Wahabbis, they are more liberal than Saudi Arabia.

Bahrain: Currently under a civil war between Sunnis and Shias.

Persia: Becoming a Republic after the end of the Second Grand War, Persia is in a sort of cold war with Jabal Shammar

Oman: Tensions between Oman and the UAE have risen after a border skirmish. Oman might declare war again, and with a series of army reforms, they might win.

Balochistan: The ugly borders are a result of the Second Grand War. After the USSR, which had occupied Persia and Afghanistan, had been defeated in the war, the winning powers decided on what to do with Central Asia. The UK delegation had been against an independent Balochistan, as they feared than an independent Balochistan would stir tensions in British Balochistan. Balochistan was still made independent anyways. After the British left India in 1950, Pakistan had taken British Balochistan. Balochistan is hostile to Pakistan and has somewhat friendly relations with India.

Bukhara: The Republic of Bukhara is doing alright. They have claims in Afghanistan, a source of tension between the two countries.

Azerbaijan: Azerbaijan does not have friendly relations with Armenia and Persia, as they have claims on them. However, Azerbaijan is pretty liberal despite being under a nationalist party.

_____

Same universe as this

This is my first map. How did I do?

Last edited:
Too many fine maps: I dreamed last night of someone doing a very elaborate map that got a lot more likes than mine did, and what was worse it was a terrible Euro-wank in which the Frankish empire conquers and Europeanizes China.

Status
Not open for further replies.