Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, I do like maps that try to look like ones in real atlases - has the same 'wait, what's real now?' jarring feel as the alternate wikiboxes, but more thoroughly.

Could you put on a factbox saying it's got the highest population of any country in the world? I always think that's an underrated 'EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT' factor for a still-unified independent India, the fact it would have a higher population than China. For a start, it would mean the vague image of China in the West would be defined differently in the second half of the twentieth century.

But would it? Given the much higher GDP per capita (over $20,000 to under $5000 vs $4903 to $682 OTL[1]) it's likely this India has had an earlier demographic
transition.

They do have almost a permil of the country's population.

Needs Burma. And Alsace-Lorraine.

[1] http://statisticstimes.com/economy/gdp-capita-of-indian-states.php

I haven't posted here in a while. Have a preview.

WarNeverChangesPreview.png

So this isn't anything super fancy. I just wanted to quickly drum up a map of an idea I'd had today before I went to bed.

Fallout Online Servers.png

In short, its a server map. The idea was to create the universe of Fallout in an MMO format resembling Eve Online. And each server would be tiered. Shown here are the Regional Servers, which essentially shows what factions control what territories (at a bare minimum). There would be two Master Servers. The "Presidential" server and the "Command Chief" server. I'll explain what servers do what below

• Commander - Serves as the Player Faction War server. Massive battles will move to servers under these to allow for countless players to fight one another for control of settlements
    • General - Acts as the "Battlefield" Server for each region, serving as a host for Wasteland and County servers for Player Factions while at war.
  • Presidential - Serves as the Master Server for all In-Game factions and Player Factions not at war.
    • Regional - Serves as the server controller for whole regions. Named for the most prominent faction serving within it.
      • Gubernatorial - Serves as a more localized server, more closely resembles core series game locations (Commonwealth, New Vegas, Capital Wasteland, etc.)
        • City - Serves as a server hub for In Game Factions (IGF) and generally "safe" zones. PvP is not tolerated, resulting in IGF security taking action against the attacker(s). Eve Online equivalent to Highsec
        • County - Servers for IGF and Player controlled settlements. PvP violence is frowned upon. When near IGF Faction settlements, PvP action is dealt with by Faction Security. Otherwise little is done. Eve Online equivalent to Lowsec
      • Wasteland - Server for Player controlled factions. PvP actions encouraged. IGF factions have zero interaction here outside of Trade Caravans. Settlements of different Player Factions can be conquered at any time. Eve Online equivalent to Nullsec.
City servers will always have a security rating of 8 and 10 while County servers will vary between 4 and 7. Wasteland servers will be set between 0 and 3. For County and Wasteland servers, this will be determined by the number of settlements controlled by any IGF. In County servers, those settlements will usually belong to a single faction. While in the Wasteland, it can be any IGF, though they are hard coded. If Caesar's Legion owns a settlement and the NCR owns another, but those are the only two settlements out of 25, then that Wasteland server will be rated at Security 1 (2/25=.08 then .08*10=0.8 since we don't want to use the hundredth decimal value. then that rounds up to the nearest single digit)

Travel between Wasteland and Gubernatorial level servers will act just like it does in Eve Online. Leaving a City will bring the player into the County. County servers are connected to other County servers as well as Wasteland servers. Traveling between different regions can only be done from specific Wasteland locations. Fast travel between Cities and Counties is possible. Fast travel throughout the wasteland is not. Traveling between Regions will take a predetermined time based on server locations. Example: traveling from NCR to Commonwealth will take 8 hours 15 minutes, as that is the time given by Google Maps for flight travel (based on Sacramento to Boston). However, time between Wasteland servers within a region will be determined by server load.

Some regional servers will have more IGF controlled "Cities" and Settlements than others. Example: Cities and Settlements within the NCR Region are the most numerous, while the Alaskan, Yukon, and Caribbean servers will have fewer Cities and Settlements controlled by IGFs. Regional server names are:

1. Alaska
  2. Yukon
  3. Blackfoot Prairie*
  4. Cascadia
  5. New California Republic
  6. Kingdom of Hawaii
  7. Midwest
  8. Reborn Republic of Texas
  9. Mexico
  10. Central America
  11. Colombian
  12. Caribbean
  13. Cuban
  14. Confederate
  15. Capital
  16. Great Lakes
  17. Canadian
  18. New Commonwealth

I know that this isn't exactly the place to be spouting off game ideas. But I figured since the Server map also serves as the In-Game map based off where the person is, I thought it would be somewhat appropriate.

EDIT: split the Prairie Provinces from the Yukon server, giving it a new name and by consequence, a new faction.

Fallout Online Servers.png

Last edited:
Time for the (last) WIP/preview of my map of an alternate India, which should be finished before the end of the year.

Actually, this isn't just an alternate India. That's an India that looks like it's supposed to be. I'm in love.

Oh boy, you've really got the feel of the universe pinned down here, alright. How badly hit are the grey zones?

Thanks! The gray zones are wasteland akin to what you see in the Fallout games. Europe was fortunate that Middle Eastern nukes were of lower yield and less numerous than what they blasted the Middle East with, but both pale in comparison to the American, Chinese and Soviet arsenals which will see use during the Great War.

Very nice, I do like maps that try to look like ones in real atlases - has the same 'wait, what's real now?' jarring feel as the alternate wikiboxes, but more thoroughly.

Could you put on a factbox saying it's got the highest population of any country in the world? I always think that's an underrated 'EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT' factor for a still-unified independent India, the fact it would have a higher population than China. For a start, it would mean the vague image of China in the West would be defined differently in the second half of the twentieth century.

Thanks. If it manages to confuse and confound your average person, it'd have been a great success of a map. It would indeed be more populated, although TTL's Indian history is not as nice and as 'linear' as OTL's. It will probably be more populated during most of the 20th century but maybe China (which is poorer TTL) will be about to surpass it. I can try to include a table not just of the pop. of each individual Member State, but also vis-à-vis other heavily populated states, maybe the five most populated ones, I suppose.

But this India isn't unified

WHAT ABOUT SIKKIM

WHAT ABOUT KASHMIR :eek:

But would it? Given the much higher GDP per capita (over $20,000 to under $5000 vs $4903 to $682 OTL[1]) it's likely this India has had an earlier demographic
transition.

Needs Burma. And Alsace-Lorraine.

[1] http://statisticstimes.com/economy/gdp-capita-of-indian-states.php

Yeah, I'm trying to see how I balance that out. Demographic transition will have started earlier yes, but also better medical standards ensuring higher natality rates. I suppose India is entering a mature demographic phase (is that Phase III or IV?) in a better way than China is OTL. Then again China's TTL version is far poorer and less ""nice"" than OTL's. People will think that real development can only come through democracy, no enlightened despotism works unless you're Lee Kuan Yew.

Actually, this isn't just an alternate India. That's an India that looks like it's supposed to be. I'm in love.

Thank you :D. Very funny, amazed that no one mention India's Switzerland, that is Kashmir :p

Thanks! The gray zones are wasteland akin to what you see in the Fallout games. Europe was fortunate that Middle Eastern nukes were of lower yield and less numerous than what they blasted the Middle East with, but both pale in comparison to the American, Chinese and Soviet arsenals which will see use during the Great War.

Your interpretation is beautiful. Nice mix of the plausible and the true to the 1950s aesthetic (Reds under the bed! Nazis in the corridor!), though I'm intrigued by the British Exclusion Zone.

WHAT ABOUT KASHMIR :eek:

BA-BA-BAAAA-BA-BA-BA-BAAA-BA-BA-BA-DUN-DUN-DUN! :D

...shut up, I'm cool :eek:

Chicxulub

Banned
Every Nordic Capital is ran by Neo-Nazis? quite the state that is.

Brilliant looking map, really looking forward to when your done with it and reading the description.

Actually they aren't, Copenhagen and Oslo are slightly north of the symbols, Stockholm however does appear to be controlled by the Neo-Nazis.

Status
Not open for further replies.