Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Red area still held about half of Germany's population before reunion, although it may be lower due to people fleeing Communist south Germany: looking at my atlas of population history, that is around 280-290 million people not counting Turkey, at a time US population was around 150 million and India had 430 million. Of course, the likelihood of such a bloated USSR holding together (I'll note Great Russians are now only about a third of the total population, or less) is a whole other kettle of commie fish.

Excluding the places that became part of the USSR IOTL, I'm only getting about (note I can't find numbers for Poland in 1918, so I'm going by the Second Polish Republic and subtracting the eastern part that became part of the USSR for Poland's number of 21 million) 90.1 million people.

Excluding the places that became part of the USSR IOTL, I'm only getting about (note I can't find numbers for Poland in 1918, so I'm going by the Second Polish Republic and subtracting the eastern part that became part of the USSR for Poland's number of 21 million) 90.1 million people.

Ah, OK. It's not 1918, the guy who posted it said to ignore the 1918, so I'm using 1950 figures.

Chicxulub

Banned
I would suggest at the very least removing Germany and Austria, possibly also Czechoslovakia. If that is still too much then remove Hungary and Romania too.

Final(ish) version of the map for the "80 Days" setting:

80DaysMore.png

? Do you mean France and Algiers? That would be the Three Frances; the French Syndicate of the Common Man (an "Omni-Plebeianist" state), the Kingdom of France-in-Algiers (led by the remnant of the Bourbons that emerged from hiding after the omni-plebeianists overthrew House Ivrea), and the Free City of New Burgundy (formerly New Orleans, ruled by House Ivrea, former rulers of Burgundy and one-time rulers of France).
I wasn't concerned about that, it's just a shitty joke.
The Red area still held about half of Germany's population before reunion, although it may be lower due to people fleeing Communist south Germany: looking at my atlas of population history, that is around 280-290 million people not counting Turkey, at a time US population was around 150 million and India had 430 million. Of course, the likelihood of such a bloated USSR holding together (I'll note Great Russians are now only about a third of the total population, or less) is a whole other kettle of commie fish.
Trotsky's doing ok. He isn't showing much bias towards the Russians, despite being one. Mensheviks, bro.
I would suggest at the very least removing Germany and Austria, possibly also Czechoslovakia. If that is still too much then remove Hungary and Romania too.
The reason why Eastern Europe is even under their rule is because the Hungarian Soviet Republic and Bavarian Council Republic do well, as well as Spartacists getting their shit together long enough to start a Civil War, but then the Soviets manage to curb-stomp Poland. Romania got rekt because they waged war against the Hungarian Soviets. Weird, I know, but trying to make something big.;)

Ooh nice map, I really like the retro look. 80 Days really is a fun choose your own adventure

Unintentionally retro, but thanks! I basically have no idea what I'm doing...

Yeah, 80 Days is really cool, I'm especially a fan of how it extends steampunk beyond just Europe. Thinking of maybe making a sequel map that shows the world in 30 years or so, after the inevitable Great War.

Unintentionally retro, but thanks! I basically have no idea what I'm doing...

Yeah, 80 Days is really cool, I'm especially a fan of how it extends steampunk beyond just Europe. Thinking of maybe making a sequel map that shows the world in 30 years or so, after the inevitable Great War.

Ooh, that sequal sounds like a really cool idea. I'd love to see it, and I too love the game's global perspective on steampunk

Ooh, that sequal sounds like a really cool idea. I'd love to see it, and I too love the game's global perspective on steampunk

I imagine that in the end the losers will be the European empires, regardless of what side of the war they're on, and the winners will be the Artificer's Guild and the non-European powers. Even if the Europeans don't outright destroy each other with all their fancy tech, I imagine that their colonial empires are getting dismantled and the Guild will swoop in to fill in the power vacuum on the Continent.

On the other hand, there's a singular shortage of Chinese Rajahs and sultans, and Britain didn't have a border with India several thousand miles long... :)

To be fair, there are areas that could be separated and administered differently from the rest of China; much of the Russian borderlands fall under this, really.

Obviously the core has problems, but a sort of colonialist-federalist solution seems like a temporary working situation.

This *may* not count, because it's just a strategic map. But thought it'd be worth to see.
Made by myself a few minutes ago:
Let's make a defence plan for Korea. Era of use of the strategy would be WWI~WWII era(tech remain at OTL levels, although chemical weapons may be considered for the most dire of situations). Assume both China and Japan will be attacking and for the foreseeable future there will be no assistance. Further assume that China will possess strong relatively a stronger army, while Japan will possess a stronger navy. while The idea is similar to National Redoubt of Switzerland or the equivalent of Czechoslovakia.
Major points of the operation is:
  • Form multiple defensive lines from where maximum attrition against the enemy can be made, along the coast or further inland;
  • Deny the enemy from utilisation or exploitation of most if not all infrastructure and personnel, civilian or military, of Korean origin;
  • Utilise asymmetrical and irregular warfare to the fullest, if the multiple defensive lines have been breached and the government capitulated;
  • Allow for immediate pushback of battlefront form Korean territory if situation allows.
So here's my take on the game-
On China:
  • Chinese armies have traditionally struck by first crossing the Yalu river and therefore attacked from the northwest. It's assumed that it is simply hard to attack from the east, which is very mountainous
  • Kaema Plateau has not only minimal infrastructure for transport but also of relatively harsher gradient for movement of mechanised infantry; it also serves well as a point of attack for guerrilla units
  • As is obvious, first general line of defence in the west stretches along the Yalu river, ~5km inland, from Uiju to Chasong - around 200 miles. Defence in the east begins at Hoeryong, goes northeast up to Onsong, where it goes back south to the Russian border
  • The first Japanese invasion of Korea and the Korean War has proven - and general common sense shows - how effective the defensive line is if around the 39th parallel, which is the "bottleneck" of the peninsula. First line of redoubt is drawn from Chongchon River to north of Wonsan
  • When preparing for evacuation south of first line of redoubt, all military personnel and infrastructure north of the line should either be destroyed or moved south; civilians should be evacuated if a large enough food reserve exist
  • If infrastructure allows, establishment of base for possible guerrilla warfare in Kaema Plateau is also necessary; goes hand in hand with establishment of defensive line along Kilju Bottleneck to stop invasion from the northeast
  • Second line of redoubt is a few hundred miles south, along the Myroak Range, west of the Taebaek mountains while in the east every attempt should be made to keep the Seoul-Wonsan railway; if Wonsan is lost infantry is to retreat south along that line into Kangwon
  • If second line of redoubt is broken, northern front has formally reached 'breach status' and all military personnel and infrastructure north of the Imjin river should either be destroyed, moved south or modified to reach 'guerrilla' status, where they become mobile and available for camouflage
  • If battlefront has stabilised along the first line of redoubt for more than 60 days or the Chinese have taken more than 30 days to reach it, it is advised that the military attempt a strategic counteroffensive and force the enemy to retreat. The goal at this time is to surround a majority of the enemy before pushing the remainder north of the Yalu river
9Mna3Oe.png

On Japan:
  • The Japanese have historically taken two main routes for amphibious assaults in the objective to capture Seoul - from Pusan, as was during the first and second Japanese invasions of Korea; and from Kunsan, as was during the First Sino-Japanese War. It is therefore assumable that the Japanese will launch their amphibious attacks on a major port city, such as Inchon, Pusan, Kunsan, or Mokpo
  • Unlike the northern mountainous regions, the south has much less room that allows for guerrilla units to easily infiltrate behind enemy lines, although two main possibilities exist: Kangwon province, located east of Seoul, and Jiri mountain, which stands as the only mountain south of the 38th parallel, other than Cheju Mountain, to be above 1000 metres
  • The first general line of defence in the south begins in Kunsan, which is primarily comprised of submarine mines; this stretches between the small islands along the southwestern coast and ends at Pusan. For Mokpo and Pusan however, there also exist defensive lines ~5km behind the shoreline. The general line of defence in the east, which begins at Ulsan and stretches up to Wonsan in effect, is much less fortified
  • In order to show determination and effectiveness to the West, urban warfare and a "fight to the death" is encouraged in all port cities. Due to limited resources, if more than one major port city is under direct attack it is advised that at least one battlefront be retreated to the line of redoubt; the same is advised if the general line of defence of one major port city has been held for more than 90 days
  • Three lines of redoubt are drawn for each major port, except Inchon - it is hoped that extensive naval mine networks and torpedo ships are able to stop any Japanese naval attack, if one occurs. Due to limited resources if two or above lines of redoubt are forced to be held for more than 60 days, military personnel and infrastructure are to begin undergoing the process of reaching 'guerrilla' status
  • If the line of redoubt for a city is broken, southern front has formally reached 'breach status', and all military personnel and infrastructure south of the Asan bay-Sobaek range line should either be destroyed, moved south or modified to reach 'guerrilla' status, where they become mobile and available for camouflage
  • A possible naval mining operation, if given enough time, is to lay a series of naval mines between the Korean mainland and Cheju island(Quelpart). This not only buys enough time for Kunsan and Inchon to prepare its defences, but also increases the possibility of the Japanese fleet sinking due to mines and does not force the Korean fleet into a "decisive battle" situation
  • If Korea has a submarine fleet, it is advised to use the fleet to the fullest extent, attacking Japanese shipping lines and possibly even blockading the Home Islands. It is hoped that this brings the war to a quicker conclusion
4zgNt1q.png

Further notes:
  • This plan does not take into consideration the military collaboration between China and Japan - for example, amphibious landings in Wonsan or Haeju
Hope you enjoyed it. Also hoping for input and possibly alternate stretegies

A little more of the WIP I am working on. Forgive the rough borders in the Arabian Peninsula

EDIT: Fixed Bhutan, Bengal, and added some color

WIP 2.PNG

Last edited:
For reference here is the rest of the Indian Subcontinent

EDIT: Fixed Bhutan, Bengal, Burma, and added some color

Indian WIP 3.PNG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.