Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
anglo_german_friendship_by_federalrepublic-d9facye.png

So how does the Americas and Austral-Pacific survive?

Mostly by virtue of very large spans of ocean and empty desolation separating them and the old world. Even then it was largely by virtue of luck - there were many close calls where an outbreak of infection caused by a broken quarantine in a refugee camp or a carrier that escaped detection was narrowly put down. (Australia was not nearly so lucky in this respect)

Why? China in that map contains its core, historic territory, with the parts it does'nt contain being the parts that were hard to control or house restive majority-minorities.

Meh, it's still a bit of a shock to see a Manchurialess Uyghurstanless Tibetless and even a-couple-of-ports-on-the-south-coast-of-the-Shandong-Peninsula-less China.

Mostly by virtue of very large spans of ocean and empty desolation separating them and the old world. Even then it was largely by virtue of luck - there were many close calls where an outbreak of infection caused by a broken quarantine in a refugee camp or a carrier that escaped detection was narrowly put down. (Australia was not nearly so lucky in this respect)

I think the quickness by which Rage operates is a good enough explanation. No ship or plane is going to make it across the Atlantic or Pacific if there's just one infectee, because he'll infect everyone else onboard in short order.

Why? China in that map contains its core, historic territory, with the parts it does'nt contain being the parts that were hard to control or house restive majority-minorities.

They have a Holy Duke. Seems like a demotion from the Emperor/Heavenly Soviergn/Soverign of All Under the Heavens. And I must compliment the mapmaker for having the Tyrol internal borders correct, as well as for having Fiume shown. First time I ever saw it in a map on Austria-Hungary using that base. Though I have to wonder why even bother having IOTL northern Montana as its own state.

Last edited:
I think the quickness by which Rage operates is a good enough explanation. No ship or plane is going to make it across the Atlantic or Pacific if there's just one infectee, because he'll infect everyone else onboard in short order.

Spot on, but then you have the immune 'carriers' to think about. Depending on exactly how they work (are they 1 in a million or 1 in a thousand? I think I remember 1% of the population being mentioned...) and how many refugees the nations of the americas will be willing to take in once the enormity of the situation becomes clear they could change the balance a good deal.

The sheer size of the pacific and atlantic is the game changer though. People will come across the english channel in pretty high numbers due to the shorter distance to the mainland and the fact that knowledge about the virus would still be pretty sketchy at the time (thus, no sink-all-the-refugee flotilla policy _immediately_). In comparison the journey to the americas is nigh impossible unless large scale evacuation efforts are undertaken by the remnants of the UN.

I'm not sure how long say, a shirt stained with virus carrying blood or so would remain dangerous (though I'd expect people to wise up on just how transmissible the virus is pretty quickly|) but that would also be a possible transmission vector as well. I'm less certain about animals carrying it (not sure my objections are justified here) but that could be at least something of a threat. Hmm.

Montana Shmontana, Iserlohn. What about that five-Indian-and-a-moose state between Montana and Canada? :)

I read it as being that Montana was the five-Indian-and-a-moose state, while Wyoming evaded jokes by getting Billings and Bozeman (bumping themselves up to six Indians and a moose!).

So what happened to Australia?

Also what do you think would happen to the old world if the rage virus would have devastated the new world instead?

Chicxulub

Banned
Congratulations, you have now crammed an extra 100 million people into the Soviet Union, IOTL the Soviet Union had 182 million in 1950, your Soviet Union has 285 million, also in 1991 IOTL the Soviet Union had 293 million, your USSR would have 415 million. That would make it 75% the size of India in 1950, and nearly twice the size of the USA.

Here is a work in progress of a commissioned map for Nick Griffalco. This map depicts the Russian Philippines, the "Petrines" in 1912; the Russians having taken them from the Spanish in the 19th century (hence the large number of Spanish place names). The Russians have divided the territory of the Petrines Krai into 3 governorates and 2 oblasts: the Governorate of Manila, the Governorate of Cebu, and the Governorate of Bacolod as well as the Luzon Oblast and Mindanao Oblast. The colored lines are the rail lines, distinguished by which governorate controls them (green for Cebu, blue for Bacolod, red for Manila).

More information about the scenario can be found here. I am open for more commissions once I finish up this one, by the way, with a single map like this running for around $20-$25, with inset maps, linguistic maps, ethnic maps, and so on bumping up the price a bit higher.

Full size map here.

HOlfhV6h.png

Congratulations, you have now crammed an extra 100 million people into the Soviet Union, IOTL the Soviet Union had 182 million in 1950, your Soviet Union has 285 million, also in 1991 IOTL the Soviet Union had 293 million, your USSR would have 415 million. That would make it 75% the size of India in 1950, and nearly twice the size of the USA.

Again, it's a WIP. I haven't worked out any real flaws yet. It would be nice to get suggestions though. By the way, this USSR would only have to go out with a big-ass bang.:p
Why is Belgium attacking Britain??

They aren't. It just shows that on the 08/11/1918 map

Status
Not open for further replies.