Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bavarians back stabbed the Prussians when the Bavarians were fearing they might lose the Palantine to the French? Was it because of leaked memos or something showing the Prussians as having hinted at giving them to the French or something?

It was more of a case of "we're not going to join the empire if we don't have Alsace-Lorraine as a buffer zone between us and the French".

Reposting here since it got crickets in the FH map thread.

Good job there. So there's nobody outside the Global System, so to speak? Shorter on territorial changes than most future scenarios, but that's plausible enough. Are these colonies in-solar system, or is this a setting with FTL?

(Multiple wars in Europe in the 21st century? Not how I'd bet, but hey, sometimes improbable crap happens).

Reposting here since it got crickets in the FH map thread.

Map of Earth as of 2162 in my science fiction universe, to be named (hopefully) soon.

Certainly more interesting than most FH scenarios we see, but I absolutely loathe the term "Terra" or "Terran" to refer to a global alliance. I really don't see why everyone insists on it. Actually, why would they refer to it as an alliance? Alliances are generally used as a united front against a common enemy, right? If this is a massive hunky-dory world-government-type situation, wouldn't confederation, union, or something along those lines be more suitable?

Neither term explicitly implies political unity. I imagine your world is more like a large United Nations than an actual polity, right?

What about the DPRK?

They went on a bit of a rampage of their own. Kim immediately had his forces sieze the feudal southern peninsula, but a spirit of patriotism and desire for revenge caused him to also invade pre-Meji Japan, which is still loosely organised at that time and with competition between shogun and imperial forces. Then while China fought the European powers, Kim got his forces to take the Spanish Pacific colonies such as the Philippines, Sulu and the Spanish East Indies. Modernisation programs have been mostly put on hold due to the lack of pressure at this time, though some of the other powers are beginning to get ahold of tech. Fortunately, the ISOT was long before Mao managed to develop nukes, so they're not a risk for now.

The Calamities (Need Help)

Could someone please make a more "professional" looking version of this basic map. It is for a somewhat-ASB post-apocalyptic "rebuild after WWIII/natural disasters scenario I am thinking of making a timeline on. The red dots are major nuclear strikes, and the Kill Zone and Ash Zones are from the eruption of the Yellowstone supervolcano caused by the Chinese bloc in the Third World War ("China has researched Future Tech 17!"). It has caused the Great Plains to be completely decimated, killing all crops as intended, killed almost everything in the "Kill Zone" radius, and makes life miserable in the more bearable areas of the Ash Zone. The Crawford Line is the line of Anglo-American defenses set against the Russian soldiers that have used the Alaskan region as a gateway to invade America and Canada, which has since been left abandoned, although it is a yet-undiscovered-by-the-rebuilding-societies treasure trove of technology and weapons. It is a sort of real life City of Gold as in whoever finds it will be equipped to usher in a new era and forge an advanced empire of their own. Morbis Lutum (Mud Fever) is a Middle Eastern bacterial weapon that thrives in wet soil and is like a deadlier influenza. Next, Morbis Extasis (The Extatic or Happy Plague) is a virus accidentally released by Cuba that was meant to help their own devastatingly low moral but actually causes a blind happiness and carefree attitude, and, in some cases, complete insanity. Finally, ignore the blue lines. They were to represent flooding but I don't know if i will keep that particular aspect, as it will be very hard to find basemaps for the timeline if it does happen.

So, any takers to make this look more "professional?" I am using a school Mac so I do not have any decent software.

TheCalamities.png

Last edited:
Based off a rather... interesting Vicky 2 game I had. Albania apparently is the new Austria. Albania proper, along with Albanian Italy and North America are completely ethnically Albanian, while the middle east is around a quarter Albanian.

6p6JzVq.png

Based off a rather... interesting Vicky 2 game I had. Albania apparently is the new Austria. Albania proper, along with Albanian Italy and North America are completely ethnically Albanian, while the middle east is around a quarter Albanian.

London, ....Belgium? :eek:

Albania stronk.

Random WIP to be completed somewhere between now and the apocalypse, based on someone's comment about a "British Raj in Europe." United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Eastern Ireland and France, dynastically united with Navarre and the Netherlands, leader of the German *Protestant Conference, protector of the Eirish Lordships, governing under Special Administration Brittany, the Balearics, and other places, allied to Burgundy, Sweden, Portugal and other stuff I haven't got on the map yet.

EuroRaj.png

Last edited:
“We are the United Kingdom of France, Scotland, Eastern Ireland and France!”

“You said France twice.”

“... I like France.”

OH MY GOD IS THAT WHERE IT'S FROM?

That same joke was on Spongebob Squarepants and I saw it when I was like ten, and he was like:

"Bye Squidward, Bye Mr. Krabs, Bye Squidward."

"You said Squidward twice..."

"I like Squidward."

Holy shit that show got away with so much.

Random WIP to be completed somewhere between now and the apocalypse, based on someone's comment about a "British Raj in Europe." United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Eastern Ireland and France, dynastically united with Navarre and the Netherlands, leader of the German *Protestant Conference, protector of the Eirish Lordships, governing under Special Administration Brittany, the Balearics, and other places, allied to Burgundy, Sweden, Portugal and other stuff I haven't got on the map yet.

Hey! That was my comment about a "British Raj in Europe"! :eek::D

Looks almost as if Britain got a Napoleon. Less because of the massive conquest, and more because they seem to have done the same he did with the Kingdom of Italy and the Rheinbund.

Thanks for the interest, all :)
Really like the use of the Pacific-centred Worlda to implicitly show the change in geo-political dominance. If I may ask why is there such a sharp cut off in the countries to it's North compared to the DRC in terms of colonists (and thus presumably wealth) are they simply less fortunate/developed ? And is New Zealand wealthy or comparatively poor?
The DRC is wealthy and humming economically, as are the East African Federation and South Africa. Part is due to historical and continued investment from India, China and elsewhere, as well the economic benefits of the colonies. The countries contained in the "triangle" the DRC, South Africa, and the EAF form are benefitting from the economic good times, including the various population booms that occurred between now and the date of the setting.

I pictured Chad, South Sudan and Libya as being really hurt by "post-oil" (a bit of a misnomer - easy to reach petroleum is largely exhausted on Earth, alternative energy sources are the norm terrestrially, but 'oil' found on the colonies is still being used, largely in military and a few other applications). They largely missed out on foreign investment or other chances to diversify and develop, lots of late 21st century migration to neighboring countries so a smaller population base. In modern times, these places are not really bad places to live, but yes, they are definitely less wealthy and developed than some more fortunate neighbors, and so less people can afford colonization. The CAR I pictured as being fairly wealthy, but as a place where people largely elect to keep their feet planted firmly Earthside.

New Zealand isn't poor, or really all that wealthy - which is not to say it's a bad place to live. I pictured the low population (and NZ did not have a population boom like many African, South American, and Asian countries did in the history of the setting) contributing to the low rate of immigration, as well as NZ developing a more insular, inward-looking culture.

Good job there. So there's nobody outside the Global System, so to speak? Shorter on territorial changes than most future scenarios, but that's plausible enough. Are these colonies in-solar system, or is this a setting with FTL?

(Multiple wars in Europe in the 21st century? Not how I'd bet, but hey, sometimes improbable crap happens).
Yes, all the world's countries are signatory to the Treaty of Accra, the Alliance's founding document, but some countries have a lesser rate of participation and interest in others.

The setting is on the softer side of sci-fi, so there is indeed FTL with habitable Earth-like planets.

As for Europe, I wouldn't necessarily bet that way either, but I figured it would be more interesting to have a few more reasons for not many Europeans going to space, than just simply the fact that I believe Europe will get (speaking relatively) poorer as the rest of the world develops.

Certainly more interesting than most FH scenarios we see, but I absolutely loathe the term "Terra" or "Terran" to refer to a global alliance. I really don't see why everyone insists on it. Actually, why would they refer to it as an alliance? Alliances are generally used as a united front against a common enemy, right? If this is a massive hunky-dory world-government-type situation, wouldn't confederation, union, or something along those lines be more suitable?

Neither term explicitly implies political unity. I imagine your world is more like a large United Nations than an actual polity, right?
I do not like "Terra" for Earth either, nor do I like "terrans." Nobody in the setting calls Earth "Terra" or people from Earth "terrans" (outside of some colonial populations using it derisively). The name comes from an attempt to imitate history's little wrinkles of political bs and institutional intertia, as explained in a post I made long ago in the worldbuilding thread:
Historical Note: "The Alliance of Terran States" and "Earth"

In the late 21st century, the body that would eventually become the Alliance was known the"United Earth Government. A bland and misleading name (as the Earth was not "united" as traditionally conceived) that was then associated with a bloody war, in the aftermath of the 2108 Rebellion, the UEG attempted a "rebranding." The name of the organization was changed to its current one, and there was a government campaign to start referring to Earth as "Terra." However, after only a few years, it became clear that this attempt was a failure. But while the star charts were changed back to referring to the human homeworld as Earth, the name of the Alliance stuck and continues to the present day.

I also wouldn't characterize the Alliance as "hunky-dory" world government. Earth's countries are still sovereign, and there's lot of problems; but for a detailed explanation on the exact nature of the Alliance, here's the link to the Treaty of Accra post I made in the wikbox thread.

Niceeeeee futuristic map there.

Ah excellent stuff, I thoroughly enjoyed your sci-fi saga.
Thanks guys!

If anyone's interested, the links in my sig are short stories set in the universe.

Last edited:
Nice work B_Munro! Interesting concept, and looking forward to the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.