Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
A world version of my earlier posted map. Hopefully its somewhat decent.

thande20worldmap20legen.png

Idaho’s in OTL Colorado, California’s in OTL pre-naming finalization Colorado, Arizona’s in Sonora, TTL Colorado’s in Arizona...

What’s your POD? :p

1835. And Idaho was originally a name suggested for Colorado, Colorado is still named after the river, Arizona was originally a name for the Gadsden Purchase zone.

Well let's see...

First of all, it's pretty insulting that you would suggest that Worlda maps aren't 'original' and reminiscent of 'plagiarism'. The only part of the map that is copied is the basemap; I know for a fact that myself, Iserlohn, and I'm pretty sure Beedok (and B_Munro, though his style is wholly unique) draw our borders pretty much from scratch. I do it by hand; pixel-by-pixel. It can take ages.

As for "Why not try new things?", what exactly are the options available? Either you use a pre-existing basemap - Worlda or Q-BAM - or you create your own basemap, which you'd need to use Photoshop, Gimp, Inkscape, or some other image-editting programme, the likes of which, as I said before, most people don't have the time to work around. I've attempted Gimp on numerous occasions; never posted any finished results, because I simply didn't have the time to properly get my head around it. I can't afford Photoshop (Jesus, who can?) nor do I particularly trust downloaded versions, and from what I've seen the interface of Inkscape is simply confusing.

I, like most people, try to make my basic MS Paint Worlda maps as interesting as possible, and I put a lot of effort into them, and usually I'm pretty happy with the results. You'll forgive me for sounding pissed off, but frankly it's just a little riling when someone comes into the Map Thread and starts telling me that my maps are 'boring', 'unoriginal', 'borderline plagiarism', that I need to 'try new things'.

I do want to see more non-worlda maps, but I understand that it takes more time to make. More time than I have, certainly. And, it also takes skills and resources not available to everyone. Furthermore, the standardization of worlda maps make it easier to compare that timeline to OTL and other timelines.

That being said, what I want to see far less of are simple UCS maps with no text accompanying it but "guess what happened." It's obvious when someone has put a lot of work and thought into a map; B_Munro's and Emperor-of-New-Zealand's maps, among others, demonstrate this well. Normally, when there are annotations, and the map uses its own color scheme, it's a sign that the maker has spent more than five minutes on it, but different and sensible borders are another. We can always use more of those kind of maps. But lazy UCS changes with barely a difference visible, copypasta ISOTs (parodied excellently by B_Munro here), with no explanation to accompany it (or worse yet, asking the reader to come up with an explanation!) is something we should strive to move past.

jIEHzXC.png

Just an idea that was wandering my mind. Minor USA wank with some extra territory that it wanted in OTL. Chartered States idea was from someone else map, and basically is a more autonomous state then normal, with special benefits and drawbacks, somewhat unique to each state. Hawaii is the most divergent as it does not actually have an elected governor, the King or Queen of Hawaii is actually governor of the state.

Just a simple idea where Welsh becomes the dominant language of the British Isles, but with some repercussions to the rest of Europe as a result. More trying to evoke a feeling than making a plausible timeline.

Walesworld.png

Last edited:
pz7mTC4.png

My attempt to make a "plausible" 2050. I miiiight have nailed it, but I'm sure at least someone will disagree with the way the Middle East is split, the presence of South Florida and Jefferson, the situation in Africa, and/or "this country should/shouldn't be in the EU".

pz7mTC4.png

My attempt to make a "plausible" 2050. I miiiight have nailed it, but I'm sure at least someone will disagree with the way the Middle East is split, the presence of South Florida and Jefferson, the situation in Africa, and/or "this country should/shouldn't be in the EU".

Then I will start:

1. Why is the northeastern part of Syria part of Latakia, and not Syria and/or Kurdistan?

2. Why is Biafra not independent if you start to split up Nigeria anyway?

3. Why is the Democratic Republic of the Congo not broken up?

4. Why are there not even more states formed out of California and maybe Texas, or Florida?

5. Why is Turkey not in the EU? Did they lose interest in joining?

South Florida and Jefferson, but not Puerto Rico?

This might be relevant to the posts earlier about using different basemaps.
Years ago I started to play around with maps and had always used a Victoria II map by "CanOmer" (found here), but as time went on I found the map more and more lacking. Complete exclusion of the polar regions, missing islands, inaccurate borders, and the Atlantic ocean being too squished were all my major problems, and with this version are all things I hope I've fixed. This has been a long time in the making, but hopefully someone can have as much use out of this map as I have.

Posting links since they'll stretch the page too much:
Original

Smoothed Version

Borderless Version

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.