Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. South America looks incredibly strange as does India and Indonesia.

It looks a bit less alien with a less distorted (mind, tallest of the seven dwarves, anyone?) projection, but it sure does, yeah. Polar stretching really is something!

I don't think that's worlda scale or projection...
...So it isn't. Damnit.

Pretty sure that there's no worlda type stuff in the thread I linked, or in my files. Maybe looking through past map threads could find it? If not at least the materials should make it easier to _make_ a axial tilt worlda. (Might try my hand at that myself, actually!)

Moving on, here's another installment to that map series. North America in the year 1942...

Zkn7tIY.png

Whatever the scenario is you likely managed to make the second biggest empire ever known to man. If it has that plus standard Abbasid and Umayyad territory I'm pretty sure it rivals the Mongols. http://mapfrappe.com/?show=34021

Neither the Umayyad's nor Abbasid's ever controlled that huge swath of India, at their respective heights they controlled roughly what is now Pakistan and a few small bits of India in that border region; on the other hand that outlined area leaves out alot of areas they did control, like the rest of Persia, Iraq, Caucasia, most of Southern Central Asia.

Oh, and if you were to compare it (the map, assuming control of the areas of the two aforementioned caliphates as well) to OTL empires it would probably only be the 4th or 5th, IOTL the British Empire was the largest, followed by the Mongol Empire in second and the Russian Empire in third; the Ummayad's were 5th and the Abbasid's 9th.

Neither the Umayyad's nor Abbasid's ever controlled that huge swath of India, at their respective heights they controlled roughly what is now Pakistan and a few small bits of India in that border region; on the other hand that outlined area leaves out alot of areas they did control, like the rest of Persia, Iraq, Caucasia, most of Southern Central Asia.

Oh, and if you were to compare it (the map, assuming control of the areas of the two aforementioned caliphates as well) to OTL empires it would probably only be the 4th or 5th, IOTL the British Empire was the largest, followed by the Mongol Empire in second and the Russian Empire in third; the Ummayad's were 5th and the Abbasid's 9th.

Uhh, what? The outline includes almost none of India but does include the entirety of Persia, Iraq, Caucasia and Southern Central Asia. It's also based off basically what you come up with when you search maps of those empires + the maps made by LSCatilina. Plus, if I'm using other tools right it has an area of approximately 18100000 squared kilometres. For pedantry that's a million square kilometres bigger than Russia today and apparently a million smaller than the British Empire. Although the British Empire at that area includes vast swaths of Northern Canada where they held basically zero control and very few people lived. So, I double down. It is the biggest empire ever created and I think you might be having an issue with viewing the link.

EDIT: I see what you did. Mapfrappe is a site for drawing outlines on google maps and then shifting said outlines around to see what they look like in other parts of the world with mercator. The top map is the outline where it was drawn. The bottom map you are looking at shows the outline superimposed over wherever and defaults to wherever it was centred on when the link was made. Move it around.

Plus, if I'm using other tools right it has an area of approximately 18,100,000 squared kilometres. For pedantry that's a million square kilometres bigger than Russia today and apparently a million smaller than the British Empire. Although the British Empire at that area includes vast swaths of Northern Canada where they held basically zero control and very few people lived. So, I double down. It is the biggest empire ever created and I think you might be having an issue with viewing the link.

That would still put it in fifth place, in order the Top Five largest empires IOTL were;

-British Empire - 33.7 million kilometers squared (the Empire as it was in 1922)
-Mongol Empire - 33 million kilometers squared
-Russian Empire - 22.8 million (in 1866; the loss of Alaska did'nt actually change it immensely as by 1916 it was only 1 million KM2 smaller)
-Spanish Empire - 19.4 million kilometers squared
-Ummayad Caliphate - 15 million kilometers squared

EDIT: I see what you did. Mapfrappe is a site for drawing outlines on google maps and then shifting said outlines around to see what they look like in other parts of the world with mercator. The top map is the outline where it was drawn. The bottom map you are looking at shows the outline superimposed over wherever and defaults to wherever it was centred on when the link was made. Move it around.

Ok, yeah, that makes alot more sense.

Pretty sure that there's no worlda type stuff in the thread I linked, or in my files. Maybe looking through past map threads could find it? If not at least the materials should make it easier to _make_ a axial tilt worlda. (Might try my hand at that myself, actually!)

Quick update: found a link to a really helpful map projection simulator in that thread. I'll need to do a little bit of resizing and of course sketch out worlda definition coastlines but mocking a worlda cassini map should be pretty feasible from now!

9HBldvk.png

Quick update: found a link to a really helpful map projection simulator in that thread. I'll need to do a little bit of resizing and of course sketch out worlda definition coastlines but mocking a worlda cassini map should be pretty feasible from now!

I recognize some of those pixels....

This was from when I was trying to compensate for the lack of an ice-cap over Canada, and the existence of fjords in in India and Central America, so it ended up looking like I raised the sea level on half the coast-lines, and lowered it on the other half.

I can try and find an old hard disk to see if some of my works in progress are still there. If there is any interest we should start trying to model the climate here again, I think there is more to be said about the presence of a nearly complete equatorial current, and the Tibetan Icecap.

I recognize some of those pixels....

This was from when I was trying to compensate for the lack of an ice-cap over Canada, and the existence of fjords in in India and Central America, so it ended up looking like I raised the sea level on half the coast-lines, and lowered it on the other half.

I can try and find an old hard disk to see if some of my works in progress are still there. If there is any interest we should start trying to model the climate here again, I think there is more to be said about the presence of a nearly complete equatorial current, and the Tibetan Icecap.

Oh hell yes, really glad you turned up here! You did some _really_ nice work on that map, both in the initial speculation on the climates and effects of different glaciations.

I was reading through that thread earlier today and - gotta say - it really is an interesting scenario. I would really love to delve further into the exacts of the climate and such. Areas like Tibet would certainly be entirely frozen over during a glacial period, but would an tibetan icecap be stable in the interglacials? Would India, trapped as it is north of Tibet, be prone to freezing over entirely from tibet and staying ice capped after the main ice sheets recede or would warm currents from the east keep areas of it green (or at least ice free). There's a lot of stuff that can be fleshed out here! (Not an expert in the subject matter myself here, but some really amazingly in depth stuff tends to get crafted together when people collaborate on something like this here.)

Would it be best to start a new thread in the ASB forum or to bump the old one with new content and discussion?

Also - it'll be prone to changes once any clearer ideas on how certain coasts would look like with or without glaciation and whether lakes would or wouldn't be present in certain areas (looking at you, great lakes) - but the worlda rendition I've been mocking up based off of your original equirectangular map is proving faaairly easy to draw. Should have it done soon enough. Again, kudos to you for the original!

Current WIP here:

8n4qnpv.png

This is the original of the version I altered, in case anyone else needs it.

I'd have to trawl through the original thread to credit it, so if someone here
made it, speak up!

lDXjN8x.jpg

It needs more cleaning up to get some nice coastlines, and it could do with
being more WorldA size, and I don't have the work in progress images (or
my normal image editing software) on this computer. My next project will
be a basic entry for the current MotF (probably posted late on Saturday),
but after that I think my hobby time for the next weeks or months will be
spent on rethinking the climate model for Cassini-World, and maybe writing
up some histories for it too.

Is that the Galapogos Islands smudged and smeared across the entire bottom of the image?

Indeed it is, the new tilt means they're barely north of the south pole. As far as I can tell from the globe projections there's no land on earth closer to the poles than it is, so it'd be likely to be glaciated even in a greenhouse scenario,

Indeed it is, the new tilt means they're barely north of the south pole. As far as I can tell from the globe projections there's no land on earth closer to the poles than it is, so it'd be likely to be glaciated even in a greenhouse scenario,

They'd be under sea ice, surely? At least something sludgy coming off the Mexican and Andean icecaps. I think the Carnatic, Ceylon, and Sumatra would have have ice-caps as well as a larger one in Tibet (possibly self-regulating, the ice adds a few hundred to a thousand meters, making it that much colder), the Gangetic and Punjabi plains would be glaciers calving into the Indian ocean.

I'm not sure, there's some lands that were well north of the Arctic Circle (or below the Antarctic one) that were practically subtropical in the Cretaceous.

Thanks for the kudos, lowtuff!

My theory was that Tibet would retain an ice-cap, but the Himalayas would still peek/peak out above it. The plateau itself would be a few hundred meters higher than on Earth thanks to the ice, an Antarctic landscape. Most of the rain would be coming up from the south during the summer, and a lot of it would fall on the ice-cap after having been elevated. The Great Siberian Rivers would flood dramatically.

Just as an aside, I have started to prefer retaining OTL geographical names as much as possible, except when they're explicit directions. North America becomes West America, West Africa becomes South Africa, the East Indies are the North Indies; Australia remains Australia, not Borealia (it does mean southern, but it's already translated); The Arctic Sea remains the Arctic Sea, not the Tropical Sea, Antarctica remains Antarctica, not Tropica (Arctic comes from arctos, for bear, it has cold weather connotations, but a tropical sea could easily be named after bears). And just to complete the examples; China is still China (there was no Qing here), and America is still America (there was no Amerigo Vespucci here).

I don't have the maps and write-ups on this computer to kick off a thread about this, and the general map thread is already packed full of everything, but if anyone starts a new one in the ASB forum (with links to the older one) I'll contribute when and if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.