Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thande

Donor
My first map that wasn't made entirely on MS Paint: British Argentina! It could be a lot better, certainly. Maybe I'll keep working on it until I'm satisfied (which I'll probably never be :p).
Nicely made map, well done. The apartheid South Africa-style flag is interesting, though I think they might use the Cross of Burgundy rather than the Spanish civil flag.

Here's a map of the known world from A Song of Ice and Fire. Some borders (read Essos) are speculative, but should be fairly accurate to the lore.

Great going, though it should be noted that the Yi Ti central government de jure extends much further north to Trader Town and east to the Five Forts. Also, de facto the empire is split into generals, princes and wannabe emperors. Leng is independent too.

The Axe is also in dispute between Lorath and Ibben.

My first map that wasn't made entirely on MS Paint: British Argentina! It could be a lot better, certainly. Maybe I'll keep working on it until I'm satisfied (which I'll probably never be :p).

>>Made on paint
>>Still better than half of the maps in this thread
Great job! I love it, keep up the good work. Get Inkscape and learn how to use it from the tutorials on here and deviantart :)

Probably been asked a thousand times, but out of curiosity what templates do you guys use for your custom MSPaint maps?

And then there are some of us who pull down shapefiles and use QGIS to edit the them before exporting to our graphic editor of choice.

Krall

Banned

Great map! The size is a bit much, and there's some unfortunate overlapping text labels, but otherwise I have no criticism. :D

Nicely made map, well done. The apartheid South Africa-style flag is interesting, though I think they might use the Cross of Burgundy rather than the Spanish civil flag.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea; I was actually thinking of adding a third flag to it to represent a Boer republic-like state that appeared in this timeline but decided against it. Having only two flags is more aesthetically appealing, in my opinion.

>>Made on paint
>>Still better than half of the maps in this thread
Great job! I love it, keep up the good work. Get Inkscape and learn how to use it from the tutorials on here and deviantart :)

Thanks, that's what I'm doing right now! :D By the way, I love the work on your deviantart.

Great map! The size is a bit much, and there's some unfortunate overlapping text labels, but otherwise I have no criticism. :D

Unfortunately, I didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it out!

A map detailing the world of a book I'm working on. The setting is an interesting one :p

The Empire of Ossidane is a nation of rugged survivors, ruled by the Emperor from the Throne of Silverpeaks in the capital of Vahalia far to the North. The nation is divided up amongst feudal lords, with the "unincorporated provinces" being ruled by whatever lawman, warlord, or robber-baron has moved into town. The Knights of Aegis are its heralded defenders, and standing as vicious, ruthless agents of the Emperor's will, doing whatever is asked of them, wherever they are sent. The Order of the Silver Fang--a fellowship of assassins--performs the more delicate work, striking where not expected, and willing to die to complete a contract.

Since the last war with the bloodthirsty warriors of Canaheim, Ossiden has experienced a long period of prosperity, with new innovations from the University of Artificers arriving every month in Vahalia. However, the Rainlanders began calling for an allied front against the Empire. The House of Lozedas--rulers of Gulcosta and Ciuhico alike--agreed to such an alliance, fearing the southward expansion of the Ossidanes. The Canaheimers, eager to settle the score, signed on as well, although the other three nations look upon them with distrust and disdain. Skirmishes would soon break out, and the War of the Royal Alliance would begin. The Ossidanes would narrowly gain the aid of the Domain of the Savior, nearly halting the war before it began as the majority of the Alliance felt conflicted with fighting the colossal power that doubled as the heart of their faith; however, attacks by the Empire into Rainlander vassals during the temporary peace would see the war rekindle back to its full fury.

Elsewhere, the city-state of Cago attempts to reclaim its lost empire of generations past, striking against all its neighbors. All of the remnant states banded together in defiance, spear-headed by the city once known as the "second capital of the Empire"; Troit.

zzz.png

There's a few standard maps that we have. The first, smallest, and most common is WorldA. Those are like the one Skywalker linked.

The second most common, and largest is the Q-BAMs. They're big enough where we haven't worked out all the details on them yet. Here's an example of a Q-BAM:
m7tSHI3.png

(WIP of mine)
Does anyone have a full blank map of this? With sub sub divisions and river?

Deleted member 70671

map

Great map! Just a minor nitpick, the 'Cisplatine' would probably be 'Transplatine' ITTL.

Am I seeing a "subtle" *Christianity?:D

Actually it is straight up Christianity. Or at the least descended from it. The beliefs are very strange. For one thing, everyone believes that, while you can resist sin, it builds up in you, and thus you need to release it. So once a month everyone goes into the church basement and participates in a fight club/orgy/kegger/occasional deathmatch. Or...you can spend a month in the Sin Ward (that darker part of the Domain) and be considered pure for a whole year. Their popes (a man and a woman) are people screened by the Church to be "the souls of Adam and Eve reincarnated" and then married. If they have a kid, that child gets first dibs on screening to become one of next popes.

On a knife edge part 2

Hi again everyone! This is the sequel to my last map, On a knife edge, depicting the world after The Great War.

The year is 1906. Five years ago war broke out following a series of complicated diplomatic events. The chain of events began when, in 1901, the British government refused The North American Autonomy Act, which would have granted full fiscal and only semi restricted military powers to the government of British North America. Angry at their failure to acquire autonomy, North American terrorists began an assassination campaign in the Metropole.

When it was discovered that the royal family, who were hugely popular and held far more powers in British North America, had played a role in the terror campaign, the King was seized, placed behind bars and forced to abdicate. He was quickly broken out by loyalists from the colonies, and spirited to North America, from which he declared the independence of "The Empire of North America" from Britain, and began a war of conquest against Britain's other American colonies.

The British quickly reciprocated with their own declaration of war against their colony, and began to mobilise troops. This series of events may have just been a localised British civil war and not a global conflict, were it not for the French. Seeing a chance to one up Britain, the French supported the American secession from the Empire. This kicked the old alliances into action, and began a war of epic proportion.

France, her puppets, the Ottoman Empire and Arabia faced down against the entirety of the coalition, dragging the bloody conflict out for four years before, in 1905, the Coalition broke he "Rhenish Line", and blitzed through France. The next year saw more and more French territory fall, and the Ottoman Empire capitulate under the weight of a joint Anglo-Austro-Russo-Italian invasion. The Coalition were joined in the East by the Asian Powers, who successfully liberated Japan from French control, but failed to prevent Russia from taking (almost) all of Korea for their own sphere of influence.

Both powers were finished by April 1906, and Arabia surrendered in order to avoid damage. It took another five months for the North American campaign to see significant progress but, with the defeat of the FSA by the USA, the US entered the campaign in BNA. The Royalists were defeated swiftly, and in September 1906 surrendered the King to coalition forces.

The October 1906 Paris Peace Accords (which would become highly controversial for their intense punishments of all fallen participants) drew up the following map;

Post War.png

Status
Not open for further replies.