Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
The southern Italians at least manage some consulates or grounds in the international settlements in China? And does Rome have a port or coastline or something of the sort?

While almost all European countries have at least one consulate in each nation, only the British, French, Russians, Germans, Prussians, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Austrians, Danish and Italians(north) would have any concessions worth noting on the map globally. In china, there are some coastal city concession areas denoted, with one pixel for each important power's presence, especially in Beihai(in the south) and Tianjin(near Beijing).

British Americans, after returning from vacation in British Tahiti, will drink their tea imported from India, sweetened with sugar imported from the Hawaii Protectorate while gossiping over the latest news of France increasing the size of their battle-fleet to match the British in Home Waters. A General European War could be brewing, the likes not seen since the time of Napoleon.

Meanwhile, British press is quick to slam the French and their allies for their colonial hypocrisy. Especially that of the atrocities in the German Kongo Freistaat.

geass_1900.png

geass_1900.png

Last edited:

If it’s the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, and North America, why isn’t North America the same color but its actual colonies are? I’ve never understood that about the way Britain managed its stuff, but that’s to be expected from a Yank.

If it’s the United Kingdom of Great Britain, Ireland, and North America, why isn’t North America the same color but its actual colonies are? I’ve never understood that about the way Britain managed its stuff, but that’s to be expected from a Yank.

I know I have it in the color of a Dominion instead of England itself (which is the color of its direct-control territories and colonies (such as Wales or Ceylon). I'm not sure if I'm actually putting the Kingdom of America in the United Kingdom's Act of Union, or if it is just a parallel title like the Empire of India. If it is not in, then I'd like to keep the dominion color, but if it is, I'll change it to the England Pink. What would Victoria do?

I would like some outside opinions.

And for the record I'm French, not a Yank :p
:Edit:
Oh you meant yourself? Just look up the color scheme. TACOS has a very good key and explanation of what the color codes mean for dominions, colonies, satellites/puppets, protectorates, etc.

Eh, however you look at it, the borders are far, far too convergent considering the PoD. Just lazy.

Not necessarily, TBH. In regards to the North America-Mexico border, at least, part of it is based on rivers(The Red and Arkansas Rivers, respectively), and the western area corresponds to the 42nd parallel. So while it may be *somewhat* convergent, it also happens to make some sense.

Now, granted, I do see a couple of areas where there *could* be issues, namely, independent *Belize and definitely Russian Alaska, for sure, but other than that, North America is okay.

Not necessarily, TBH. In regards to the North America-Mexico border, at least, part of it is based on rivers(The Red and Arkansas Rivers, respectively), and the western area corresponds to the 42nd parallel. So while it may be *somewhat* convergent, it also happens to make some sense.

Now, granted, I do see a couple of areas where there *could* be issues, namely, independent *Belize and definitely Russian Alaska, for sure, but other than that, North America is okay.

The internal border claims on Belize do seem to be a fair bit of a problem, since Mexico is unlikely to keep claims to the small snip in the north and not the chunk that Guatemala IOTL claimed. I am voting it was part of a trade with the British withdrawing from the Mosquito Coast.

BMN, what is the Cuban country?

It's more the borders of Africa which caught my eye.

I approve of this. :p

thank you :)

The internal border claims on Belize do seem to be a fair bit of a problem, since Mexico is unlikely to keep claims to the small snip in the north and not the chunk that Guatemala IOTL claimed. I am voting it was part of a trade with the British withdrawing from the Mosquito Coast.

BMN, what is the Cuban country?

That I actually left as OTL, replacing (inheriting?) any central american claims and territory with Mexican ones.

Cuba is part of Carib. A Caribbean confederation that is "allied" with Britain.

It's more the borders of Africa which caught my eye.

In that time period, the Europeans knew very little about the interior of Africa even at the time of the Treaty of Berlin, so most of the claim lines were pretty much random or decided by negotiators in Europe who had never heard a word about the actually territory and peoples they were divvying up. I don't see why that would be different ITL, and since the Europeans are all about balance of power, I reasoned that African claim lines would be convergent with OTL, and then the actual controllers of the colonies musical chaired around.

On to 1914.

The battle lines are drawn between the Entente Powers (also known as the Central Alliance), and the Coalition (also known as the Allies).

While France enables the war by issuing Blank Cheque to the Austrians, permitting them to issue to Serbia an unreasonable ultimatum for the assassination of the governor-general of Bosnia (who was some cousin of the imperial family) , which was the doing of Bosnian nationalists, not Serbia.

However it is Russia that makes the Third Balkan War the Wold War, as they mobilize quickly and issue a full-scale invasion of Sweden in order to pre-empt the expected attack on Petrograd (St. Petersburg). The alliance dominoes cascade and Europe sees a war the likes of which have not been seen since the time of Napoleon.

geass_1914.png

geass_1914.png

thank you :)

That I actually left as OTL, replacing (inheriting?) any central american claims and territory with Mexican ones.

Cuba is part of Carib. A Caribbean confederation that is "allied" with Britain.

In that time period, the Europeans knew very little about the interior of Africa even at the time of the Treaty of Berlin, so most of the claim lines were pretty much random or decided by negotiators in Europe who had never heard a word about the actually territory and peoples they were divvying up. I don't see why that would be different ITL, and since the Europeans are all about balance of power, I reasoned that African claim lines would be convergent with OTL, and then the actual controllers of the colonies musical chaired around.

On to 1914.

The battle lines are drawn between the Entente Powers (also known as the Central Alliance), and the Coalition (also known as the Allies).

While France enables the war by issuing Blank Cheque to the Austrians, permitting them to issue to Serbia an unreasonable ultimatum for the assassination of the governor-general of Bosnia (who was some cousin of the imperial family) , which was the doing of Bosnian nationalists, not Serbia.

However it is Russia that makes the Third Balkan War the Wold War, as they mobilize quickly and issue a full-scale invasion of Sweden in order to pre-empt the expected attack on Petrograd (St. Petersburg). The alliance dominoes cascade and Europe sees a war the likes of which have not been seen since the time of Napoleon.
Interesting map, a few points/questions:
1) With a POD in the American Revolution, WWI still starts in 1914 because Austria issues an ultimatum to Serbia after the assassination of an Austrian politician by a Bosnian Serb nationalist?
2) The idea of a Caribbean union ignores the very different cultures that have developed over the islands over the years due to different governments, languages, overlords, etc. Even the UK wouldn't attempt to arbitrarily force such a federation.
3) Why no subdivisions for British North America? Why on Earth is Denmark in northern New Guinea?
4) Honestly your justification for the convergent borders in Africa is lazy. Do you not think with a hundred years of butterflies (in which France earns the title of Big Blue Blob, Germany is united w/o Prussia, Spain holds onto it's colonies for longer, the UK keeps the thirteen colonies, etc.) that colonial ambitions won't have changed drastically? It's likely that with it's European holdings, France will care FAR less about the colonizing the Sahara and SEA, just as Britain will care less about Africa with it holding America. The resources these countries used to colonize OTL are being absorbed elsewhere, but in your TL France has an even BIGGER colonial empire, and the UK's is just as big. A Germany surrounded by Austria, Prussia, Italy, and France might not be so interested in the Congo. Even with your justification, how have the Boer states and Ethiopia come to the EXACT borders they had pre-colonization? Why is French Australia developing /exactly/ in the British Australia did?

I like this map a lot, and a republican loss in the colonies but success in Europe is a concept I can very much dig. You've got a good start, but you can't just bucket fill Africa, Asia, and the Pacific.

The 13 Colonies Rebellion, while spreading its message to Europe, fails due to support being mostly butterflied away by the British Parliament when it agrees to give more representation to American colonists earlier than OTL. Since the British are in a slightly stronger position economically/militarily, Napoleon accepts a British peace offer in 1805.

Fifty years later, 1856. North America is being integrated into Great Britain as a Home Kingdom. Europe is divided between the Republican Bonapartists (Napoleon never declared himself emperor) and the Monarchist traditionalists. Meanwhile, intense French and British competition for new markets and influence in Asia leads to an earlier opening of Japan and the Komei (earlier Meiji) Restoration.

View attachment 257388

No Taiping allowed.
"Dear Rest of the World,

Please gather your forces and meet in Shanghai. British and Russian military advisers will manage everything else from there."

While almost all European countries have at least one consulate in each nation, only the British, French, Russians, Germans, Prussians, Dutch, Portuguese, Japanese, Austrians, Danish and Italians(north) would have any concessions worth noting on the map globally. In china, there are some coastal city concession areas denoted, with one pixel for each important power's presence, especially in Beihai(in the south) and Tianjin(near Beijing).

British Americans, after returning from vacation in British Tahiti, will drink their tea imported from India, sweetened with sugar imported from the Hawaii Protectorate while gossiping over the latest news of France increasing the size of their battle-fleet to match the British in Home Waters. A General European War could be brewing, the likes not seen since the time of Napoleon.

Meanwhile, British press is quick to slam the French and their allies for their colonial hypocrisy. Especially that of the atrocities in the German Kongo Freistaat.

I like thesemaps, but it kind of trips me up due to the fact that Prussia didn't lose Warsaw to the French...

War and pre-Revolutionary Peace (First Interwar Period)

Never before was so much blood shed for so little gain.

In the trenches of Spain, the Peninsular campaign saw the most condensed form of violence in history, as the hilly terrain was churned up and filled with the bodies of about a million British Americans and a million French, as well as about one hundred thousand Spanish combat deaths. This theatre played host to the largest losses of France and the British Empire and would become the poster image of the war henceforth.

Portugal betrayed Britain and stayed neutral, narrowly avoiding the war, earning the enmity of the British world for selling out Iberia. Though considering the destruction avoided, others would say this was a wise move.

Italy, despite the good defensive terrain, was overrun relatively quickly as the agricultural South could not keep up with the industrialized North. Even so, Italian losses total at two hundred thousand for both sides combined.

Prussia was able to inflict several stunning victories in the opening year of the war, but after a decisive battle in Northern Germany, they were pushed back by a combined French-German-Dutch force, and subsequently overrun without much more resistance after the encirclement of Berlin. German forces would go on to knock out Denmark with the cooperation of the Swedish Navy.

The largest front was the Eastern Front. Composed of Russia and Rumania (and Prussian holdouts) against the Swedes, Germans and Austrians, and some French. Russia would lose two million men to the fighting.

In the Balkans, the Greeks, with limited British support from Egypt by way of the Suez, was able to hold out against the Bulgarians and Turks, but only just. Serbia and Rumania were nearly overrun, until saved when the Austrian state imploded and their armies deserted en masse following the Magyar Revolution, which would culminate in the dissolution of the Austrian Empire.

The Ottoman Empire was soundly defeated by British forces in the Middle-East and from India working in tandem with Arab nationalists. Iran was subsumed by British armies as well.

Elsewhere, little skirmishes in African colonies ended up being of little relevance and of limited scale, as the French and British navies blockaded South Atlantic supply routes from each other.

In Asia, the Chinese were able to avoid a civil war and instead used the distraction of the Europeans to continue modernization, even negotiating an end to several unequal treaties. Japan seized British Pacific possessions, but did not contribute against Russia in Asia, allowing Russia to pull armies out of Manchuria to use in Europe.

The war ended when the Russian Tsar was overthrown in a coup (royal family later found dead under suspicious circumstances while making their way towards exile), with the provisional government agreeing to a cease-fire.

Italy was unified under the pro-French North.
Spain, Denmark and Prussia ceded all overseas possessions to the victorious powers.
Britain made minor colonial concessions in Africa, and exchanged island claims with the French in the Pacific, as well as ceding Hawaii to Japan. Spain was left divided into three, with the areas under British military control becoming new independent states of Asturias and Granada (Andalusia), Madrid itself becoming a puppet of France.
Austria dissolved into a short civil war that ended shortly after the Russian Armistice was declared. Hungary, Slovakia, and Bosnia gained independence. Serbia was returned occupied territories, Rumania made significant gains, even to the expense of their former ally Russia.
Out of Prussia, Russia, and Austrian Galicia was a territory for Polish people to be carved out. The temporary solution provided was to have Poland be partially administered by Prussia (Prussia and Posen regions) and Austria (Silesia, Galicia). This settlement evolved into the Union of Prussia-Poland.
Russia was blamed for the entire war, and was forced to take full responsibility in the War Guilt clauses. The people of Russia were sporadically revolting, and the provisional government was eager for a peace treaty even if it meant accepting a dictat of reparations, territorial losses to Baltic nations, Rumania, Sweden and Poland, disarmament of Russian military capabilities, and the demilitarization and occupation of the Petrograd Oblast.

To enforce peace settlements, the European League was established. Its primary members were France and its victorious allies, though it included many European countries regardless of participation in the war. The only countries not included were those that either chose neutrality (Norway, Portugal) or were too invested in British influence (Greece, Asturias, Granada), had a coup (Turkey), or were excluded on purpose (Russia).

After the guns fell silent, suffering continued as massive disease outbreaks ravaged the war-torn world and beyond, as the Americas were hit with European diseases. Britain in particular suffered, as it had been stressed by the French blockade. Through the 20's Britain would stagnate economically, its people not recovering from the loss in the War. British domestic politics would swing towards the extremes among the lower classes, as the people stopped believing what their government told them. Popularity and public approval of the monarchy sank to an all-time low.

In Japan, ever since modernization and Westernization took hold, domestic politics was slowly swallowed by the military as Japan won strings of easy victories after victories against European Great Powers and even the Goliath of old, China. However, the military was fatally divided within itself. During modernization, Japan modeled its army based on the successful French army. But the Navy modeled itself on Britain's fleet. Westernization not only brought in European ideas and techniques, but also saw a revival of the importation of European religion. Catholicism in particular became important, as it already had traditional roots in Japan, and was the most widespread religion of their largest influencer France. With the conquest of the Philippines from Spain, division between the Army and Navy factions became not just political, but social and religious. Christianity became very popular among the army officer classes as they emulated the French. Being placed in charge of the colonization of the Philippines, they became rabid nationalists, though distanced themselves from the Emperor. Meanwhile state Shinto and Emperor worship was a reaction to rising Christianity as it threatened the sacred position of the Emperor in the eyes of the people. The Navy in particular was adamant about its support of the Emperor and Japanese tradition. they too became intensely nationalist, but in a distinctly monarchist sense, much like the British were.

The Army gained a huge amount of influence over the Navy through its administration of the Philippines, but the Navy responded in kind by winning important victories in the Sino-Japanese War, seizing Taiwan. A brief war was fought against the Russians over influence in Korea. The Navy decisively defeated the Far Eastern Fleet, but then became of little value when the British advised the Russians not to set sail their Baltic Fleet, as the South and East China seas were largely controlled by the Dutch and French, who supported Japan. Korea became a puppet of Japan, and stayed independent as the Navy would not allow the Army to have both the Philippines and Korea as their colonies.

These disputes came to a head in the mid/late 20's when Navy and Army leaders began assassination campaigns against political opponents, turning Japan's top leadership against itself.

geass_1925.png

geass_1925.png

Last edited:
World War II is Here!

Well here we go.
France started what we were waiting for. The French Army crossed the Franco-German border with God-speed. They had started their usage of a tactic very similar to OTL's Blitzkrieg. Though the French have far lower reserves than the Germans, they've so far made it to the Rhine. The French have also struck the Low Countries, invading what was the former state of Belgium and attempting to reach the Rhine in the Netherlands. On this new, reverse Western Front the French have support from their ally, Spain, who is currently in debt to them due to the Spanish Civil War, similar to Mexico during and before the Great War.

The Italians have invaded Austria-Hungary-Westslavonia. They have taken border lands near Venice, as well as landed in Trieste and Dalmatia. The Austrians are doing their best to hold off the invading Italians, but are struggling, especially since the armies of the other Kingdoms within this unstable Triarchy are distracted with rebellions. These Jacobin Nationalists are bringing AHW closer to Civil War by the day.

In Africa, the French have also invaded Sokoto, as well as German Togoland. The Germans respond by seizing Spanish Equatorial Africa.

Over in Russia, the Soviets collaborated with the French Fascists and invaded the Pro-German Russian Empire. After a quick, but painful crossing of the Urals, the Red Army "liberated" Perm and Ufa from the White Forces. With this sudden attack, the Germans, White Tsarists, Byelorussians, and Cossacks of Ukraine, Kuban, Crimea, and The Cossack Republic of the Don have rallied together, along with Turkish and Swedish reinforcements to halt the Bolsheviks and prevent another devastating loss.

Not much further down South in Central Eurasia, the Persians have also been attacked by the Red Army. The Soviets invaded Afghanistan and Turkmenistan, but were halted by local forces. Soon however, shall the Persians and Turks arrive and deal with this threat.

As expected, North America is in a bloody state of war again. The Confederates, under a racist, Fascist leader, have invaded the Union's holdings in the South. In those not-yet-liberated territories, Pro-Confederate rebels have arisen to fight for the CSA.

Canadians have also been rebelling against the Union, seeing them as oppressive tyrants due to previous methods of stamping out rebels, as they now wish to achieve independence.

Mexico has allied itself with the CSA and invaded the Northern part of Baja. Another small-scale offensive into Arizona is taking place as well.

Britain has decided to collaborate with the French and invaded the Netherlands. Amazingly, the rest of the Central Powers didn't declare war on them, as they are starting to get a bit overextended. The Brits took Zealand for naval purposes, but for the most part have focused on invading Sumatra and Borneo. The invasion is still in the phase of landings, but seems to be going well.

Tensions in East Asia soar. After the Qing let go of the Central Powers, a sort of aggressive mentality arose in China. Britain and Japan, seem to have a de-facto alliance against the Qing. The Japanese would rather attack than be attacked, but the British would rather act the opposite way against the Chinese. The Japanese also seem close to war with the Soviets.

Within the Balkans, Serbia, Greece, and Romania have formed a pact with the Fascists, as they are eager to stomp Bulgaria, the "The Traitorous Beast of the Balkans".

South America is also close to another violent war. Brazil has taken up an aggressive ideology, similar to that of the Qing. Peru and Chile will stand by the Brazilians. However, Argentina and Bolivia are quite willing to work with the Bolivarian Pact to the north.

StupidCP-Wankification-Beginnings of The War.png

War and pre-Revolutionary Peace (First Interwar Period)

Never before was so much blood shed for so little gain.

In the trenches of Spain, the Peninsular campaign saw the most condensed form of violence in history, as the hilly terrain was churned up and filled with the bodies of about a million British Americans and a million French, as well as about one hundred thousand Spanish combat deaths. This theatre played host to the largest losses of France and the British Empire and would become the poster image of the war henceforth.

Portugal betrayed Britain and stayed neutral, narrowly avoiding the war, earning the enmity of the British world for selling out Iberia. Though considering the destruction avoided, others would say this was a wise move.

Italy, despite the good defensive terrain, was overrun relatively quickly as the agricultural South could not keep up with the industrialized North. Even so, Italian losses total at two hundred thousand for both sides combined.

Prussia was able to inflict several stunning victories in the opening year of the war, but after a decisive battle in Northern Germany, they were pushed back by a combined French-German-Dutch force, and subsequently overrun without much more resistance after the encirclement of Berlin. German forces would go on to knock out Denmark with the cooperation of the Swedish Navy.

The largest front was the Eastern Front. Composed of Russia and Rumania (and Prussian holdouts) against the Swedes, Germans and Austrians, and some French. Russia would lose two million men to the fighting.

In the Balkans, the Greeks, with limited British support from Egypt by way of the Suez, was able to hold out against the Bulgarians and Turks, but only just. Serbia and Rumania were nearly overrun, until saved when the Austrian state imploded and their armies deserted en masse following the Magyar Revolution, which would culminate in the dissolution of the Austrian Empire.

The Ottoman Empire was soundly defeated by British forces in the Middle-East and from India working in tandem with Arab nationalists. Iran was subsumed by British armies as well.

Elsewhere, little skirmishes in African colonies ended up being of little relevance and of limited scale, as the French and British navies blockaded South Atlantic supply routes from each other.

In Asia, the Chinese were able to avoid a civil war and instead used the distraction of the Europeans to continue modernization, even negotiating an end to several unequal treaties. Japan seized British Pacific possessions, but did not contribute against Russia in Asia, allowing Russia to pull armies out of Manchuria to use in Europe.

The war ended when the Russian Tsar was overthrown in a coup (royal family later found dead under suspicious circumstances while making their way towards exile), with the provisional government agreeing to a cease-fire.

Italy was unified under the pro-French North.
Spain, Denmark and Prussia ceded all overseas possessions to the victorious powers.
Britain made minor colonial concessions in Africa, and exchanged island claims with the French in the Pacific, as well as ceding Hawaii to Japan. Spain was left divided into three, with the areas under British military control becoming new independent states of Asturias and Granada (Andalusia), Madrid itself becoming a puppet of France.
Austria dissolved into a short civil war that ended shortly after the Russian Armistice was declared. Hungary, Slovakia, and Bosnia gained independence. Serbia was returned occupied territories, Rumania made significant gains, even to the expense of their former ally Russia.
Out of Prussia, Russia, and Austrian Galicia was a territory for Polish people to be carved out. The temporary solution provided was to have Poland be partially administered by Prussia (Prussia and Posen regions) and Austria (Silesia, Galicia). This settlement evolved into the Union of Prussia-Poland.
Russia was blamed for the entire war, and was forced to take full responsibility in the War Guilt clauses. The people of Russia were sporadically revolting, and the provisional government was eager for a peace treaty even if it meant accepting a dictat of reparations, territorial losses to Baltic nations, Rumania, Sweden and Poland, disarmament of Russian military capabilities, and the demilitarization and occupation of the Petrograd Oblast.

To enforce peace settlements, the European League was established. Its primary members were France and its victorious allies, though it included many European countries regardless of participation in the war. The only countries not included were those that either chose neutrality (Norway, Portugal) or were too invested in British influence (Greece, Asturias, Granada), had a coup (Turkey), or were excluded on purpose (Russia).

After the guns fell silent, suffering continued as massive disease outbreaks ravaged the war-torn world and beyond, as the Americas were hit with European diseases. Britain in particular suffered, as it had been stressed by the French blockade. Through the 20's Britain would stagnate economically, its people not recovering from the loss in the War. British domestic politics would swing towards the extremes among the lower classes, as the people stopped believing what their government told them. Popularity and public approval of the monarchy sank to an all-time low.

In Japan, ever since modernization and Westernization took hold, domestic politics was slowly swallowed by the military as Japan won strings of easy victories after victories against European Great Powers and even the Goliath of old, China. However, the military was fatally divided within itself. During modernization, Japan modeled its army based on the successful French army. But the Navy modeled itself on Britain's fleet. Westernization not only brought in European ideas and techniques, but also saw a revival of the importation of European religion. Catholicism in particular became important, as it already had traditional roots in Japan, and was the most widespread religion of their largest influencer France. With the conquest of the Philippines from Spain, division between the Army and Navy factions became not just political, but social and religious. Christianity became very popular among the army officer classes as they emulated the French. Being placed in charge of the colonization of the Philippines, they became rabid nationalists, though distanced themselves from the Emperor. Meanwhile state Shinto and Emperor worship was a reaction to rising Christianity as it threatened the sacred position of the Emperor in the eyes of the people. The Navy in particular was adamant about its support of the Emperor and Japanese tradition. they too became intensely nationalist, but in a distinctly monarchist sense, much like the British were.

The Army gained a huge amount of influence over the Navy through its administration of the Philippines, but the Navy responded in kind by winning important victories in the Sino-Japanese War, seizing Taiwan. A brief war was fought against the Russians over influence in Korea. The Navy decisively defeated the Far Eastern Fleet, but then became of little value when the British advised the Russians not to set sail their Baltic Fleet, as the South and East China seas were largely controlled by the Dutch and French, who supported Japan. Korea became a puppet of Japan, and stayed independent as the Navy would not allow the Army to have both the Philippines and Korea as their colonies.

These disputes came to a head in the mid/late 20's when Navy and Army leaders began assassination campaigns against political opponents, turning Japan's top leadership against itself.

View attachment 257493

Why does Poland have Western Belarus?

Status
Not open for further replies.