Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Political WIP

altworldpol2.png

Can any of you bright young things out there think what a Azteco-Mayan or Iroquois Indian Confederacy (that has somehow crossed the Atlantic and colonised the British Isles, France and Iberia) may have called : -
1) The Seine Valley
2) The Aquitania region of France
3) The Provence region of France

I tried a few suggestions on the net but to no avail.

the Ireland, Cornwall, Iceland from a Northern route, Britteny Portugaul

Is this an alternate Earth, it contains a lot of earth geography and such...a distant geological POD?

Nope. It's for a novel I've been working on forever. I had parts of the map hand drawn but then I played around with an Earth base-map for the rest of it just to make things easy.

I decided to, at last, use Blomma's tutorial on making maps with Photoshop and Illustrator, and here (many frustrating hours later) is the result. I think it ended up pretty well for a first time attempt at the program, and hopefully all of you enjoy.

The basic background of the map is Dimitiar Obshti does not launch a daring raid on the Ottomans in 1872, which causes him to eventually end up in Bucharest instead and leaves Vasil Levski, the great Bulgarian revolutionary, free and uncaptured by the Ottoman Empire. Instead, Levski spends the years leading up to war plotting and gathering strength, and when war does erupt for Bulgarians, they win an even more smashing victory over the Ottomans than in our world, quickly taking Macedonia, parts of Serbia, and threatening Constantinople before supplies force them back.

Unlike in our world, where the Treaty of San Stefano that granted Bulgaria Macedonia and more was repealed, here Bulgaria gets to keep most of the land it took in the war. Though it does give up some lands to the Greeks and Serbs in exchange for their support of Bulgaria's enlarged borders. They also help Montenegro enlarge itself and Albania establish itself as a nation as the Ottomans, long before in our world, are forced into only a tiny bit of Thrace in 1878.

Following their victory, Bulgaria is nicknamed "the Prussia of the Balkans" due to its victories and rapid economic growth due to industry, increased commerce, and progressive fiscal policies that make Sofia the economic hub of the Balkans and Bulgaria the most advanced nation in the region. For 40 years of peace Bulgaria grows and dominates the area, making itself a middle power and a cultural giant as a new renaissance of Bulgarian art, music, theater, and more sweeps through the nation and the Balkans.

prussia_of_the_balkans_by_toixstory-d8wrsks.png

I'm not sure how plausible this is, but the basic gist is that the Sino-Soviet split is butterflied away and the USSR manages to survive to the present day. It might need some revisions, particularly in southern Africa

TheBearAndDragon.png

I decided to, at last, use Blomma's tutorial on making maps with Photoshop and Illustrator, and here (many frustrating hours later) is the result. I think it ended up pretty well for a first time attempt at the program, and hopefully all of you enjoy.

For 40 years of peace Bulgaria grows and dominates the area, making itself a middle power and a cultural giant as a new renaissance of Bulgarian art, music, theater, and more sweeps through the nation and the Balkans.

And then some damn thing not in the Balkans happens and everything goes to shit, eh? :D

Great map, once again!

Bruce

My entry,the POD is explained on the map;
The picture below shows part of the book Terra by Amadeus Falken. This book published in 2057 tells the history of our planet. Its most famous feature is its naming of important historical areas and events in Latin, setting a precedent for history books to come.
By Isaac Jenner
(click here for more information)

Here's my entry to MOTF, be sure to vote. :D Please critique it as you wish.

Capture aztecs.JPG

rMPr3U1.jpg

A Map of the British Isles, in 972, including the internal divisions of the Kingdom of Britain, the realm of Emrys ap Arthws, who arrogantly already calls himself Lord of all Britain, Argwyldd Prydain.

The Kingdom of Britain:

The Royal Demesne:

Composed out of the Kingdoms of Powys, Gwynedd and Deherubath, King Consantine consolidated them into the permanent property of the Briton Crown as part of the Constantinian Reforms, which also included making the crown hereditary to the elder son, with the division of land to the other sons abolished. While this understandably upset the lords of Wales, he dealt with them with ruthless manner during the wedding of his son, Arthws to the daughter of the King of Italy.

Morganwwg:

The properties of the House of Morganwwg, which accepted the rule of Constantine early on. They enjoy relative autonomy, compared to the Lords of Dobonnia or Durnovaria.

Dobonnia:

Or Dobounnia, is the frontier of the Kingdom of Britain. It saw a great flood of settlement and colonization after Constantine defeated the Mercians in 892 at the Battle of Oxnaford. The fertile plains beckon to Cymry farmers, and Constantine has begun a program of resettlement, offering land to Cymry noblemen and farmers. Yet, it still remains a hotspot of Viking raids, and Constantine had thus built a network of castles and hillforts to defend the region from Dane attacks. The current Tywysog of Dobonnia is Uthred ap Brochfael, a friend of Brenhin Emrys and a military genius besides.

The Disputed Lands:

This band of land east of Dobonnia and west of East Anglia is claimed by both Danes and Britons, and a new war has flared up from this dispute. Following Mercia's collapse after the Battle of Oxnaford killed off their remaining royal family, the Danes conquered this land, while the Britons attempted to complete their conquest of Mercia. Ultimately, this land went to the Danes, until in 972, when Brenhin Emrys has begun a new push to take it from the Danes.

Dumnonia:

This one is a curious melting pot. Anglo-Saxon, Cornish, Cymry and Norse all see their languages and cultures exchanged and influenced in this limbo of cultures. Reclaimed in 913 by Brenhin Arthws, it was first a property of the West Saxons, before being invaded by the Danes in 881. Its conquest has opened it up to Cymry colonization, but it saw little settlement compared to Dobonnia or Durnovaria. As of now, the Prince of Dumnonia is the restored Tywysog Uthred of Kernow.

Durnovaria:

Formed out of Brenhin Arthws conquests of Wessex, Durnovaria is the twin lordship to Dumnonia. As a rich, fertile land, it has seen great migration by Cymry farmers, although not to the degree of Dubonnia. The borders remain dangerous, as every so often Danish raids cross the hillforts and castles to try to take back Winchester from the Britons.

Rheged:

The most recent of additions to the Briton Kingdom. It is formed out of Emrys' slice of Northumbria during the Partition of Jorvik, the lion's share going to the King of Norway and Scotland. It is a haven of Cumbric culture, as the Cumbrians who can afford it travel south and Cymry settlers arrive in from Powys and Gwynedd, mixing with the local Anglo-Saxons and few Norse settlers.

So, I've been trying to make a QBAM for the entire world for my timeline in the althist wiki. It's not going out well, but I still figured I should finish it. Here's what I've got right now (in eye-watering TACOS):

EWPtqy3.png

Larger version

Wikenlaw! AKA Vinland Discovers Europe

A Map of the British Isles, in 972, including the internal divisions of the Kingdom of Britain, the realm of Emrys ap Arthws, who arrogantly already calls himself Lord of all Britain, Argwyldd Prydain.

Interesting - the Saxons seems to be taking a licking. Is the capital Caerleon?

----

'A furore Normannorum, libera nos, Domine'

Cross-posting my submission to MotF 118 - actually the first one I'd done on my own as opposed to a collaboration. I'm pretty sure I'm a horrible person - I read the challenge to depict a colonised Europe and set to work creating a Europe being invaded by white people. I will point out I had a couple of previous ideas, including a similar scenario where the massive armada is that of Geoffrey of Monmouth's African king Gormund, however that would basically be an extension of my 'History Of The Kings of Britain' map and I wanted to try something completely different.

The POD changed mid-map from 'Thorvald Eiriksson is not killed by Native Americans in 1004AD' (which is an interesting POD and of itself as by all accounts it was a complete fluke - they had taken refuge in their ship, hanging their shields on the outside, and the arrow went through the crack between two shields) as I realised it didn't give enough time for them to outstrip Europe, even with the usual tricks to keep the Old World technologically stagnant. Instead, the POD is that reliable routes to Vinland are found around 200 years earlier and then disrupted due to no Medieval Warm Period.

Short story/introduction

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.