Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not even look at the map yet Alex. I still must read the rest of the timeline and only got up to the Purple Astricks so far. Just the hints from the top of the map make it so tantalizing though.

Just a little something I knocked up for Look to the West. The absolutely humongous version is here.

I remember this one! though (I think) the rump French Canada is a new addition...any story behind that? Also it seems that the Confederation of New England is lacking a subnational capital. It looks really pretty, must have taken ages.

Additional questions: What would the Meridian Empire(?) be?
Any story/reason for the Cloudsborough penal colony (criminals sent to pick bakeapple berries? :winkytongue:)

I remember this one! though (I think) the rump French Canada is a new addition...any story behind that? Also it seems that the Confederation of New England is lacking a subnational capital. It looks really pretty, must have taken ages.

Any story/reason for the Cloudsborough penal colony (criminals sent to pick bakeapple berries? :winkytongue:)

If you mean the purple bit, that's not a rump French Canada it's an independent Indian Confederation/Republic using the French names for the trading posts because the Anglophones haven't moved in yet.

As for Meridia and Cloudsborough, they're a bit long to explain without reading the laconic version of LTTW at least.

Thande

Donor
I can answer this on account of being the writer and stuff. The entity in OTL Canada is the Indian Confederation a.k.a. the Superior Republic, a mish-mash of lots and lots (and lots) of Indian tribes, Métis from Canada, escaped criminals from the old Susan-Mary Penal Colony, some Russian fur traders and even a trapped Carolinian regiment. New England's capital should be Boston, Alex and I both managed to miss it not being marked so while going over the map umptillion times, as is often the case.

Meridian is the demonym for the United Provinces of South America (from "America Meridionalis", the Latin name for South America).

The Cloudsborough penal colony was stuck on Newfoundland mainly because it was a long way away from anywhere, it was a compromise back in the eighteenth century because the American colonies were (quite reasonably) complaining about British criminals just being dumped there, as also happened in OTL.

If you're interested check out the new thread in my sig, it has links to the other ones at the top of the thread.

A map of the Battle of Mogadishu from my TL, between the Organization of Galactic States and the United Clans of the Caedhewe. The battle was considered to be the turning point in the decades-long "Bug War." The yellow-black region is a minefield.

Felt the need to make a map, so I whipped one up in an hour or so.

I'll write up the background later. (I am really lazy today, sorry).

Democratic Party - 67 EVs

Federalist Party - 51 EVs

Frontier Party - 17 EVs

(The reason that Pennsylvania went Democrat is that Federalists aren't actually very loyal to the Union, despite their name, after the Anglo-American War.

electoral map 1850.png

Last edited:

Frontier Party - 17 EVs

(The reason that Pennsylvania went Democrat is that Federalists aren't actually very loyal to the Union, despite their name, after the Anglo-American War.

Good... you gave East New York to its rightful overlords...

Frontier Party - 17 EVs

Free Vermont! LOL. :p

Also, what's with uber-huge Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia? I'm assuming the POD is before 1792 but what's the current year?

Frontier Party - 17 EVs

Is that an independent Louisiana? It's northern border w/ Canada seems vaguely like the OTL border of the territory, but arbitrarily different

Free Vermont! LOL. :p

Also, what's with uber-huge Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia? I'm assuming the POD is before 1792 but what's the current year?

Ahh... I'll do a writeup tomorrow, but suffice it to say that the current year is 1846, and the US has already had a civil war and a disastrous war with Britain.

Is that an independent Louisiana? It's northern border w/ Canada seems vaguely like the OTL border of the territory, but arbitrarily different

Arbitrary differences are just my style :cool:

Technically, it's a French colony, but yes, it is de facto independent. (all those American settlers)

Last edited:
Arbitrary differences are just my style :cool:

Well, they didn't just draw a random squiggly line IOTL - the border was based on the height of land between the Mississippi and Hudson Bay watersheds. So while they might bring in a latitudinal border (and likely would, as that would be much easier to survey in an age before GPS) they probably wouldn't swap it out for a random line.

By God.

That is beautiful. Just...just beautiful.

Good God.

My only quibble is you forgot Bridgetown, since Barbados has a sub-capital dot but doesn't have a name.

You would not believe how easy it is to not notice that sort of stuff on a map scale.:eek:

Thanks for all the kind words though guys.

My entry for MOTF:

An alternate Nova Scotia:

Posted by A Brief History of New Zealand said:
With the beginning of British colonisation of New Zealand in 1818, Scottish intellectuals and adventurers began to wonder if they might stand to gain from the best chance of a colonial pressure valve they had had since the abortive Acadian colony two centuries earlier (which itself had seen immigration of Irish moving to neighbouring Nova Hibernia, the new ‘Ireland-in-America’ [1]), and promptly formed the Alba Association.

The Royal New Zealand Company, pleased at the prospect of a quick influx of capital, gladly allowed the Alba Association to purchase a large portion of the South Island below the Rangitata River which was to be the new colony of Nova Scotia (Gaelic: Alba Nuadh), a home for the masses of Scots who felt there was nothing left for them in Scotland proper. With the issuing of Letters Patent in 1838 the nascent colony was separated from the rest of New Zealand, as the English in the north feared being overwhelmed by ‘Jocks,’ and the Scots in turn tired of funding English wars against the restive Maori of the Colony of New Zealand (who had some words to say about being evicted from their ancestral lands). The English had good reason to fear being outnumbered: by 1853 there were 30,000 Scottish settlers in the colony, aided by a Church mission to establish Presbyterian missions in the new lands.

The Nova Scotian Gold Rush of the 1860s was integral to securing the colony’s success, and towns sprouted across the Otago Highlands as Dunedin became the largest city in New Zealand and Nova Scotia put together, with the colony’s population rising above 80,000 by 1864 – it is no coincidence that the majority of Scottish emigration remained consistently directed to Nova Scotia – and although the gold rush had largely died down by 1867, the majority of Scots in particular stayed in a colony which seemed – and indeed, was – tailored to their kind.

Of course, the boom didn’t last forever; as emigration began drying up with the continued industrialisation of Scotland the motivation to make the long voyage south was less and less appealing. Still, by 1871 the population of Nova Scotia was about fifty-four percent Scottish or of Scottish origin [2], with Gaelic widely spoken as a first or second language, especially in County Wallace and the Otago Highlands (many placenames today are simple transliterations of the Gaelic). The largely democratic principles espoused by the Alba Association also helped to retain settlers, as the contrast with the increasingly baronial system of landholdings in the Province of Canterbury over the border made Nova Scotia seem wonderful in comparison.

Nonetheless, by the 1890s the viability of the colony had been called into question and, forced to decide between union with the rest of New Zealand as an influential province or with Australia as an uninfluential sheep farm, Nova Scotia’s legislature entered into negotiations with the Colonial Legislature of New Zealand, with canny Treasurer Julius Vogel helping persuade the ‘Jocks’ to vote for union on June 7, 1893 – a date since celebrated as Union Day.

While Nova Scotia’s existence was relatively brief, its major role in New Zealand’s early history and colonial period is not to be understated; today there are as many speakers of Gaelic in Nova Scotia as in Scotland, and cultural ties remain strong. Union also brought a major shift in the culture of New Zealand as the incorporation of tens of thousands of independent-minded Nova Scotians led to a period of democratic upheaval and – just as importantly – resulted in the relocation of the colonial capital from Auckland to the small regional port of Wellington [3]. Although the twentieth century would open Nova Scotia up to increased immigration and diversity, evidence of its Scottish heritage is still clear: from stately Dunedin to booming Kinloch, icy Invercargill to slightly-less icy Invercullen, and throughout the patchwork of small towns from Winton to Selkirk to Peebles to Geraldine, the Scottish spirit lives on at the bottom of the world.

[1] OTL Nova Scotia/New Brunswick. The neighbouring province of Avalon has remained largely English since the expulsion of the French Acadians in the 1760s.
[2] Followed by English settlers (including Australians), Irish, and sizable numbers of Welsh around Pembroke and Croats near Lochinvar.
[3] Although it must be said that many of the more hardcore Presbyterians were somewhat shocked at the idea of adopting female suffrage, which New Zealand had adopted in 1887.

1lprBfB.png

Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to post my MOTF 117 entry.
Please critque it. :D
Two things, but essentially, one thing: the Chinese translation. First, the wording. In Ancient China we don't emphasise the "中國" concept, which only means "Middle Country" at that time and contained only geographical definition, much like "Italy" was before being unified as a national state during the 1840s, rather they called themselves "The subject of the Great Tang/Song/Yuan/Ming/Qing Dynasty" ("大唐/ 宋/明/清子民"), so if the Chinese really founded themselves a new country beyond the reach of China, they won't indicate their own geographical origin, but name themselves in a sense of localism(like the the Lanfang Republic), and words like "阿拉伯", "聯合" and "大公國" are rather modern: Up to Tang Dynasty till the founding of the RoC, Arabia was being called "大食" (translated through the Persian name "Tazik") by Chinese, and the latter two ("united" and "principality")are just being used since the 20th century, and are really alien concepts to the ancient people who always lived under a unified empire where feudalism and disunity were greatly discouraged by official Confucian ethics. Second, the arrangement. In ancient times, Chinese writing were directed from right to left or from up to bottom, surprising similar to Arabic, as to follow the Yin-yang order, where right side and the top represents strong and bright, and left side and the bottom represents weak and darkness, and the former should be in front of the latter as a result, only after republican era was Chinese being reformed to have the left-to-right direction, because of the New Cultural Movement when the westernised intellectual aimed at defying any tradition and replaces it with western culture, thus the new writing direction which followed the European style.

And there are two thing I appreciated, which are the use of Traditional Chinese:D and your concept of a Chinese empire outside the Central Realm:cool:. Consider naming your country with features like the cultural origins from both the Chinese immigrants and the native peoples, and the geographical name of the territory, feel free to PM me for further advice.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.