Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
First in the series. Since Britain was pretty wanked OTL I went for medieval England.

wankseries.png

This is a WIP map I've been working on for the last few days. The POD is around the 1860s, but it isn't really noticeable (In terms of mapping) until the 1890s. This is the map of the world as of April 2015...but it includes a Communist India, Republic of China, German Mitteleuropa, a divided United States, a larger Mexico, the Ottomans and Hapsburgs are still hanging out, and New York is independent.
[/IMG]

This is just a WIP but I just wanted your input.

Lovely independent New York. I second, however, that California's borders seem unlikely and a bit illogical.

In addition, just a few questions:
- How has Germany managed to get those puppets under a firm grip for so long?
- What's up with Turkey/Ottoman Empire? Is this a larger Turkey or a smaller Ottoman Empire we see?
- Will those Central Asian states end up as Russian protectorates/puppets or will they remain depicted as independent states? If the latter, how have they escaped from the Russian Empire's hands?

Yvb7RCI.png

My unfinished MOTF entry. Various things happen, but the main one is that the British invasion of the Rio de la Plata succeeds, (yes there is another MOTF entry on a British Patagonia, but this is different) and the Crown Colony of the Silver Basin (Rio de la Plata means Silver River) and Patagonia is made. Other points of interest include a successful Russian Alaska, German Istria (from an Austria-based Germany), and a balkanized UK.

First in the series. Since Britain was pretty wanked OTL I went for medieval England.

Wouldn't that end up as a case of the tail wagging the dog? The French lands of the Angevin Empire for example were richer and more populous than the actual Kingdom of England and consequently most kings (notably Richard the Lionheart) spent their time and energies in and on France.

I agree. Really cool Perhapsburg. I just love a good continent switch, and this works surprisingly well. Mind if I use it some day, I'll credit you.

Last edited:
It strikes me as a bit unlikely that a communist India would retain the internal political divisions of the British Raj.

Yeah. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether or not to show the internal borders at all or to just make up my own. I'm a little hesitant to use the current internal borders because the POV was in 1863.

Also unlikely is California retaining its OTL borders as a sovereign state. Interesting map though, the independent New York and large Mexico are nice changes of pace.

I must respectfully disagree considering when Mexico reclaimed New Mexico and Arizona. Basically Mexico took over the New Mexico and Arizona Territories in the 1870s during a failed attempt by an unnamed American President (Still working on that) to claim all of Mexico. California held its own, as did parts of Texas, and the new border was decided by generally where the front line was.

Lovely independent New York. I second, however, that California's borders seem unlikely and a bit illogical.

In addition, just a few questions:
- How has Germany managed to get those puppets under a firm grip for so long?
- What's up with Turkey/Ottoman Empire? Is this a larger Turkey or a smaller Ottoman Empire we see?
- Will those Central Asian states end up as Russian protectorates/puppets or will they remain depicted as independent states? If the latter, how have they escaped from the Russian Empire's hands?

I'm still uncertain of what to do with Germany. ITTL Germany is VERY influential in Eastern Europe. It's not more of a direct military puppet and more of being in the economic sphere.

That is a smaller Ottoman Empire. The Ottomans were on the winning side of World War I (The Grand Alliance consists of the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, Canada, New England, New York, and California), so when they saw problems, including the Arab Revolt, their allies jumped in to assist them. Eventually the Ottomans reformed their internal politics so it is actually a pretty robust empire.

In the case of the latter...the Bolsheviks obviously do not take power in Russia. The current regime in the Russian Republic, but it had a much stronger leader than Kerensky in charge. However, a long civil war happened which allowed the breakaway states to last for a while. When things settled down, the breakaways fell under British control, and became fully independent in the 1960s.

Wouldn't that end up as a case of the tail wagging the dog? The French lands of the Angevin Empire for example were richer and more populous than the actual Kingdom of England and consequently most kings (notably Richard the Lionheart) spent their time and energies in and on France.
The other plan I had involved keeping the Thirteen Colonies. Basically any wank but OTL's sticks England as the tail wagged dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.