Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkocento

Donor
I liked some of the ideas behind this map so I made a cover that reduced the space filling empires. Rather than the Charlemagne converting to Islam I have a Muslim victory at Battle of Toulouse lead to Islamic conquest of Southern France leading to an earlier conquest of Sicily and an invasion of Italy to stamp out the Roman Empire after the fall of Constantinople. The Mediterranean almost becomes an Umayyad lake, but the Christian Bulgarians and and political instability lead to the fracturing of the empire between Umayyad West and Abbasid East. Neither of the Caliphates will survive in the long run and within a couple hundred years they fracture and new Islamic dynasties fill in the niche they left behind. The Kieven Rus convert to Islam by way of Abbasid controlled Constantinople. Northern Europe still becomes Catholic despite the fall of Rome and the relocation of the Papacy to Paris. The Bulgars are separated from the rest of Christian Europe by the Magyar Taifa states, but they retain their religion and dream of one day taking Constantinople.

The Khitan Khanate conquers China, Central Asia, the Russian Steppes, Japan, Persia and Mexico. The Conquest of Mexico was really an accident as the Khan sent an invasion fleet to conquer Srivijaya fails and on it's way back to China directed eastwards towards Central America by the prevailing winds thanks to it being an el nino year. The fleet can't make the trip back home so the 25,000 surviving mongols set about conquering central America.
the Persian Khanate conquers most of the Middle East and almost sacks Constantinople, but when the Khan dies the Khanate kind of falls apart and they are only left controlling Iraq.

The Caliphate of Rum has pretty much disintegrated in dozens of Taifa states after a succession of several ineffectual sultans.

Two words: love it

A map of the frontlines in the Asia-Pacific War as of December 31, 1978 from my TL.

attachment.php

Map of the Pictish Empire.png

My first attempt at making an aesthetically pleasing map. The idea came after playing the Brytenwalda mod of Mount and Blade: Warband, and conquering the Picts as a Celtic polytheist.

Map of the Pictish Empire.png

What the date of this, by the way?
Around 1500, similar to your map, and I'm glad you like the cover.

When and how was Korea conquered (it never was IOTL, although it agreed to become a loyal tributary to the Mongols after 30-40 years of war), and how was it retained?
Korea was annexed after decades of war, the Khan's control over Korea is weak ans with Southern China having not only gained independence, but going on the offensive spelling the doom of Khitan ruled China.

Additionally, what happened to the Jurchen and Mongols

The Jurchen Khanate ruled over much of Northern China before it fell to the Khitan. The various nomadic peoples Mongolia and Northern China were conquered/united when the Khanate first emerged.

how did the Mongols end up in Central America if the entity in Central Asia is governed by the Khitan (in ~1500)?

That was a typo, I was thinking a lot about the Mongols when I came up with the Mexica Khanate, because I based the failed Khitan invasion of Srivijaya on the failed Mongol Invasion of Sumatra.

Two words: love it

Thanks!

I've done them 4 or 5 times before. I'm not sure if anyone else does them. Honestly, it seems a bit wasteful. Take this for an example, I got 2 or 3 comments out of that. If I had posted every frame separately, it would have been closer to 30. Most of them complaints, mind, but the point stands. I certainly intend to make more eventually; perhaps one can be placed 4th in the queue or so. As you've shown interest, and few people commented last time, I shall repost this one of an alternate Netherlands coastal progression.

Quite lovely. Do you still have your sources witth he original maps showing the areas that got flooded time to time?

Korea was annexed after decades of war, the Khan's control over Korea is weak ans with Southern China having not only gained independence, but going on the offensive spelling the doom of Khitan ruled China.

IOTL, the Mongols had an extremely difficult time forcing Korea to unconditionally surrender (the monarch was ultimately retained) because Goryeo had continuously maintained around 200,000-300,000 troops for centuries, and decided to temporarily relocate the capital to Ganghwa Island with the intent of defending it with a large navy. The latter also continuously offered to pay tribute after seven major campaigns in order to temporarily sue for peace, which were collectively disastrous to the point where the population possibly plummeted from around 8-12 million to 4-5 million, not to mention that hundreds of thousands were taken prisoner. Even after the court agreed to surrender in 1259 (after the last military dictator had been assassinated) due to the devastation, the military launched a counter-coup in response, then staged an uprising that lasted from 1270-3.

This chain of events would generally have remained the same, regardless of the circumstances, as Goryeo or an alternate counterpart would have continued to maintain a large army in order to counter nomadic invasions and expand northward. It's also worth noting that soon after the Yuan began to crumble around 1351, Goryeo managed to not only repel a major invasion from the Yuan, two major invasions from the Red Turbans, and various wokou raids, but also expand northward into Liaodong and Manchuria (a significant amount of Koreans had been relocated to both regions), essentially tripling its territory, although it withdrew soon after the Ming was established. As a result, the entire peninsula would essentially need to be turned into a vast wasteland with virtually no survivors for this scenario to be remotely plausible, which would have been unthinkable for the Khitan ITTL, as it would have unnecessarily tied up their troops while attempting to directly confront China (the Khitan had failed due to a similar reason earlier IOTL).

The Jurchen Khanate ruled over much of Northern China before it fell to the Khitan. The various nomadic peoples Mongolia and Northern China were conquered/united when the Khanate first emerged.

In this case, even after discounting a potentially unified "Mongol" entity, the Khitan would essentially have faced a two-front war between the Jurchen (Jin) and Goryeo, which would have not gone well for the former. Specifically, the Western Liao was politically unstable because the Khitans remained the minority within a diverse population that had closer ties with other entities. Also, the Later Liao was established in Liaodong in 1216 IOTL specifically after taking advantage of the war between the Mongols and the Jin, although it was swiftly crushed in 1219 after suffering a major defeat against an alliance composed of the Mongols, Goryeo, and a breakaway Jin entity. The Mongols managed to successfully expand IOTL because it only needed to focus its efforts along its southern front when directly confronting China, but a breakaway Khitan entity would have been besieged from nomads in the north, China from the southwest, and Korea from the southeast, making it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to replicate the Mongols' successes.

Last edited:
Remember, nobody ever can conquer Korea before 1910. :)

Well, it generally made much more sense to vassalize it (even Japan annexed it without a direct invasion). A lot of countries found this out the hard way (most notably the Sui).

However, endless wars didn't exactly do wonders for the population, especially when confronting the Mongols (as stated above).

A map based on this: Our Classical Heritage. It's around 200 BCE. I will really appreciate any criticism: either the core-history or the map or both.

From West to East and North to South: Massalia, Kartaidashos, Rasenna, Roma, Makedonia, Hellas, Aigyptos, Aithiopia, Aissum, Galatia, Judaia, Petra, Seleukeia, Baktria, Mauria, Kina.

LiP7xM8.png

I'm not even going to try and argue about this because I'm a history major with a minor in Middle Eastern Studies, not Far Eastern Studies, so you probably know a hell of a lot more about Korea than I do. That being said you should take in to account a couple of things. First, the PoD is in 721 CE, a lot of shit can happen between the seven centuries from the Pod and the conquest of Korea. Second, it's a cover of an existing map which had a massive Mongol empire, and the only reason I chose the Khitans to be the massive empire was because it seemed strange to have the Mongols in a world with such a massive PoD. When I was putting it together I was just calling it the "Generic Steppe Empire".

Edit: There was no way in hell that Constantinople would fall in the eighth century, but since it was a pretty big facet of the original I kept it around. I guess Korea being ruled by a steppe empire isn't as big a facet of the original so since it really seems to bother you, I went back and edited the map so that Korea was a vassal state rather than an outright conquest.

Last edited:
I think France is about to launch a Barbarossa equivalent by attempting a Sealion. Then the UK is driven into an implacable anti-French rage which ends in them destroying France and capturing Paris. The Germans, British, Italians, and Turks then push back against Russia, whose German model army, which once ran wild in Eastern Europe, begins to collapse as the Greater Slavic Co-Prosperity sphere falls apart. The war ends with the dropping of the atomic bombs in Rostov and Novgorod :p

Pretty much what I had in mind for the next map. Kudos :D

Last map was at the height of the French and Russian advance in 1941. This is in August of 1943, 8 months before the end of the war.

And there I was hoping for something unusual. Having an ideology near to Nazism emerge in a defeated France is one thing. But the sudden pseudo-Barbarossa against Britain is pushing analogies to our timeline's WWII beyond the limits of plausibility. Even Hitler at least attacked the USSR after clearing out continental Europe of his remaining enemies.

Funny shape for a Poland.

Why is it strange? It's simply the bigger (seen in the timelines where Germany is too shiny and happy to annex one of the countless variants of the so-called "Polish border strip" German planners kept drooling over throughout the war) of the two versions of the Standard Central Powers Victory Scenario Poland.

Why is it strange? It's simply the bigger (seen in the timelines where Germany is too shiny and happy to annex one of the countless variants of the so-called "Polish border strip" German planners kept drooling over throughout the war) of the two versions of the Standard Central Powers Victory Scenario Poland.

Doesn't make it look less funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.