Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathuen

Banned
At first I read "The East" as having India and China and went "The Detente is complete. Nothing can stop them now!" ...

Then I saw it wasn't that and my heart made a frowny face.

At first I read "The East" as having India and China and went "The Detente is complete. Nothing can stop them now!" ...

Then I saw it wasn't that and my heart made a frowny face.
Sorry, but a Sino-Indian alliance? I don't really think that's very plausible.

Mathuen

Banned
Sorry, but a Sino-Indian alliance? I don't really think that's very plausible.

foreveraboner+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+10+at+_0668efb8abe6bca77e253c402c7b8f2a.jpg

Mathuen

Banned
India + China = Mutual Distrust
(The average Chinese citizen actually has a high opinion of India, a feeling which translates even into academia and large chunks of the Party)

Come on, it'll be like the CoDominium, only with less Russian and a healthy movie industry. Imagine it, we might even be able to get America in on the deal and then we'd get the infinite monies as well!

(The average Chinese citizen actually has a high opinion of India, a feeling which translates even into academia and large chunks of the Party)

Come on, it'll be like the CoDominium, only with less Russian and a healthy movie industry.
But then it'll be too unipolar.

America can join in too and everyone can look the other way as we occupy Canada? Why are you trying to make the frowny face on my soul go into a full sob?
We don't play Third Stringer to nobody! :mad:

But seriously, how realistic do you guys think my map is for, say, 2050?

Mathuen

Banned
We don't play Third Stringer to nobody! :mad:

But seriously, how realistic do you guys think my map is for, say, 2050?

Okay, serious mode on:

The main problem in trying to even out the blocs is that it flies in the face of a lot of the forces of globalization and international development in general. The division of the BRICS in that way doesn't make much sense, especially South Africa cashing in with India. While you not counting out Iran is nice to see, I feel that most people underestimate Iran in general, it's alliance to China in the context of a more multipolar world doesn't make much sense either.

I'm unsure of what happened in Africa, specifically in Nigeria and the EAF. Seeing as both Nigeria and East Africa have made a thing of gaming India and China economically i'm unsure as to why they'd go independent, or drop in with one or the other, rather than act as a middleman between the blocs.

I don't understand the Commonwealth emerging as a coherent institution, especially after being whittled down mostly to the White Dominions.

What happened to Malaysia? Why would China, which has a tight martial partnership with Malaysia, let them apparently get absorbed into Indonesia?

How did France, after apparently integrating into a European Federation, lose its holding in West Africa enough to allow that chaos to exist there?

I think you greatly underestimate India and China's maneuvers in Central Asia, and greatly overestimate Russia's. Also, I think you overestimate India's maneuvers in the Horn of Africa, and underestimate (or don't know about?) Japan's.

Finally these two closing thoughts. What the hell happened in South Africa and Pakistan? Bangladesh too.

Edit: AND ARABIA! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU!?

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

A future map, set about mid-century or so. Basically, the US goes isolationist, and the rest of the West has to pick up the slack to compete with two other power blocs in another "Great Game", but on a global scale.
Alliances are:

The East: China-Russia-Iran
The South: India-South Africa-Brazil
The West: Commonwealth-Europe-Japan
(-America-but don't tell anyone)

EDIT: And yes, the Argentinians finally got the Falklands. All the British islands in the Mid- and South-Atlantic were mostly depopulated thanks to flooding anyways, so they were sold to Brazil and Argentina respectively.
OMAN NO!!!!!! :(

Okay, serious mode on:

The main problem in trying to even out the blocs is that it flies in the face of a lot of the forces of globalization and international development in general. The division of the BRICS in that way doesn't make much sense, especially South Africa cashing in with India. While you not counting out Iran is nice to see, I feel that most people underestimate Iran in general, it's alliance to China in the context of a more multipolar world doesn't make much sense either.

I'm unsure of what happened in Africa, specifically in Nigeria and the EAF. Seeing as both Nigeria and East Africa have made a thing of gaming India and China economically i'm unsure as to why they'd go independent, or drop in with one or the other, rather than act as a middleman between the blocs.

I don't understand the Commonwealth emerging as a coherent institution, especially after being whittled down mostly to the White Dominions.

What happened to Malaysia? Why would China, which has a tight martial partnership with Malaysia, let them apparently get absorbed into Indonesia?

How did France, after apparently integrating into a European Federation, lose its holding in West Africa enough to allow that chaos to exist there?

I think you greatly underestimate India and China's maneuvers in Central Asia, and greatly overestimate Russia's. Also, I think you overestimate India's maneuvers in the Horn of Africa, and underestimate (or don't know about?) Japan's.

Finally these two closing thoughts. What the hell happened in South Africa and Pakistan? Bangladesh too.

Edit: AND ARABIA! WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO YOU!?
Fair enough. I'll try to answer/justify what I can.

I didn't intentionally try to even out the blocs. It just sort of...happened. Also, I know that South Africa, like much of Africa, is currently trading heavily with China, but there are historical and cultural ties between South Africa and India that might push it into India's camp. Also, the "South" is essentially just an extension of the current "South-South Cooperation" between India, Brazil and South Africa. As for Iran, it's mostly with the "East" because it trades heavily with Russia(and to a lesser extent, with China), but its not exactly a very reliable ally. Note that while India is propping up breakaway Baluchistan in Pakistan, it doesn't do the same in Iran. Iran and India are on pretty good terms.

Nigeria and East Africa are both neutrals, and maintain good relations with all three blocs, though Nigeria's economy and population give it enough influence to have a "sphere of influence" of its own. They're cooperating with Europe to put down a mess of Tuareg nationalists, Islamist extremists and whoever else is hiding in that gray area in Northwest Africa.

The Commonwealth isn't exactly a single country, or at least not at the level that Europe is, but it has managed to come close enough to have free trade, and Canadian, Australian and New Zealand dollars and British pounds are used almost interchangeably. The shift in global power has reduced their influence greatly, but by working with Europe and Japan(and America), they've managed to stay(mostly) relevant.

Indonesia is yet another middleman between China and India. Since Malaysia and Indonesia are culturally very similar, I didn't think it was too much of a stretch to think that they might merge in the future.

West Africa is just a mess at this point, with nationalists and extremists screwing things up, like I said earlier. There's only so much France, and later Europe, can do. They're working with Nigeria and it's puppe-sorry, allies to fix this.

At this point, Russia is essentially China's cold, nuclear armed sidekick. They're influence in Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan is part historical and cultural ties, but mostly because China allows it. India and China are both competing for influence in the rest of Central Asia. I also had no idea that Japan had much power projection, especially in the Indian Ocean of all places. Regardless, I don't really see it lasting for much longer, especially as India grows more powerful.

Pakistan is already essentially a failed state. In this scenario, India supports an independent breakaway Baluchistan(not recognized by anyone except India) and takes its claimed areas in Kashmir. The rest of Pakistan is a somewhat more stable regime propped up by Beijing. Bangladesh experienced heavy flooding, and ultimately reluctantly voted to join India, though obviously not everyone's happy about that. And Lesotho, Swaziland(after democratizing, of course), Botswana and Namibia (re)joined South Africa via popular vote.

Also, I think I had a good answer for Arabia, but I've forgotten it by now. :eek:

Sorry to ask again, but does anybody have advice for this map I posted? :eek: I only ask because Superman's discussion pushed the thread so quickly onto this page.

It's wow. Very map. Such cartography.

No, but seriously, I can't find anything wrong with it. The names are interesting; almost like a continental Germanic language that became isolating instead of agglutinating. It would be nice to have a scale so we know how big the country is.

It needs topography. While the rivers and sea are nice, it needs someway to show the character of the land itself. Perhaps mountains icons like those one would see in older maps -- and doing the same for swamps, forests, or deserts.
Hmm, valid point, but would it fit in with the style of the map?

Status
Not open for further replies.