Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am afraid I cant offer any particularly useful solutions but I want to say that map looks incredible. Personally I would be quite happy to have a complete page of information in flowing colour because I enjoy lots of depth to accompany maps. Perhaps create a text post elsewhere on the site and link to it ?
Thanks. Hm, I suppose, but where? I always feel a bit... wrong, I guess, making new threads. However, none of the existent ones really fit. I'm not sure it needs it's own thread anyway since I won't be updating it further like a timeline or any such thing. I guess it might be worthwhile if I made it a general thread for me to post map WIPS, mini-tls, whatever- but that feels too egotistical and they would probably find more attention in the regular threads anyway.
Well, why not stick to "major" states (larger than Belgium? :p ) and just give "regional overviews" for the more fragmented areas. I'm fine with 3-4 pages of regular text, but that may just be me.
Hm, I'm not sure size is the best determiner. It would be quite Asia and far-North focused with that criteria, whilst skipping some of the most interesting places. I mean, eyeballing it, there only seems to be one or two states in all of Western Europe which are similar in size to Belgium or larger, whilst there are upwards of 6 in Scandinavia alone. Every other possible determiner I can think of has problems. Colour, too Euro-Centric whilst skipping a few interesting places even in Europe. Population, too Africa and Asia-centric. Age, too San-Marino (and friends)-centric. Personal interest, too Steppes and East Europe-centric. Sheep density, too Wales-centric. Yeah, nothing really works... When you say pages, do you mean pages on the forum or pages as would be in a book? If the former, that would be unprecedented and I shouldn't wonder that it might get me kicked.

Hm, I'm not sure size is the best determiner. It would be quite Asia and far-North focused with that criteria, whilst skipping some of the most interesting places. I mean, eyeballing it, there only seems to be one or two states in all of Western Europe which are similar in size to Belgium or larger, whilst there are upwards of 6 in Scandinavia alone. Every other possible determiner I can think of has problems. Colour, too Euro-Centric whilst skipping a few interesting places even in Europe. Population, too Africa and Asia-centric. Age, too San-Marino (and friends)-centric. Personal interest, too Steppes and East Europe-centric. Sheep density, too Wales-centric. Yeah, nothing really works... When you say pages, do you mean pages on the forum or pages as would be in a book? If the former, that would be unprecedented and I shouldn't wonder that it might get me kicked.

No, no, pages in a standard .doc file. 4 pages on the thread would be ridonkulous.

Well, then: pick a manageable number. Say around 3 lines of text to a country, 46 lines to a page in .doc (roughly), 4 pages. That gives you 60 countries. Pick the most interesting and work your way down until you have 60 (or some other arbitrary number) and stop.

Bruce

Ummm Chiang and Mao die? Much weaker China and a slightly smarter Japan? Russia looks like the USSR collapsed some time after the German's took over everything and maybe a fragmented Republic has appeared in it's place sometime later?

True, but that's just a placeholder for the moment.

Prequel to this map.
Large, clean version of this map.

The point of divergence here is that the riots outside of Independence Hall in Philadelphia during the drafting of the Constitution are avoided, leaving Philadelphia as the capital of the United States rather than pushing the delegates to move the capital to a newly-built one. Butterflies flap from there, and the United States, under President Alexander Hamilton, go to war with Revolutionary France in 1799, capturing Saint-Dominigue (modern day Haiti) and Louisiana from the French. The French Republic is quickly defeated in Europe as well and collapses.

This causes both the United States to grow closer to Great Britain and grow emboldened in its ability to fight European nations. Over the next decades, the United States rapidly advances across the American continent, fighting a brief war with Spain to free Mexico in the early 1820s. However, Mexico establishes an unfriendly imperial government, one who antagonizes the United States and the settles within the province of Texas. War comes, and the United States takes Texas in the peace after they smash the imperial government with the help of the Mexican people, who establish a republic.

Following the peace, the US focuses on northern expansion. A treaty with the British in the late 1820s give almost the entire Red River Valley to Canada, a valuable prize the British covet. In exchange, the British give up official claims on the Oregon Territory, and American settlers quickly claim the entire territory. Before the century is out, American settlers move up all of western North America, straight to Russian North America. With tensions between Russia, Britain, and Britain's ally Prussia high in Europe, and with the US still at least an economic ally of the British, the Russians sell Alayska to the USA before it is taken from them by force.

Meanwhile, in the south, the United States' hands off policy with Mexico resulted in an anti-American dictator seizing power and making noise about taking Texas back. One too many border tensions later and the US invades and takes all of California, the Baja Peninsula, and bits of northern Mexico in the peace deal, and establish a government backed closely by the United States. The government is somewhat-surprisingly effective at bringing stability to Mexico, particularly through American money. The US-backed Federal Republic of Guatemala to the south is less so, however, though by 1954 they have begun to rise up out of poverty.

In the Caribbean, the United States is king. Originally, the US only uses Saint-Dominigue as a dumping ground for freed slaves, but after the brief Southern Rebellion which freed all the slaves, they began to take a greater interest in the region. Uprisings against Spain were taken advantage of, and the United States quickly swallowed up Santo Domingo, Cuba, and Puerto Rico from Spain. All new territories were put on the fast track to statehood by the Whig-controlled government, who needed the voters. The British mostly got the rest of the Caribbean for themselves. More importantly, however, British capital provided for the building of a Nicaraguan Canal, a source of tension between the British and Americans that was only soothed over by special privileges for American shipping.

Despite not having a western coast, Canada has done quite well for itself. With the addition of the Red River Valley, the amount of arable land increased in early Canadian history, and drove more settlers to the colony. Westward expansion swept Canada like a fever in the latter half of the 19th century and early 20th, especially as the drive for emigration to Canada greatly increased in Britain. In particular, a large boost of settlers came over following the Bruges War in the early 20th century when French dirigibles firebombed London and caused thousands to flee.By 1954, Canada is the most populous and powerful of the British dominions, and has grown its own national identity. In a more tumultuous world, though, that identity has as of yet been put aside to stay with Britain and preserve the empire for as long as possible.

By 1954, the clear winner in North America is the United States, the colossus that stretches from Dena, Alayska to San Juan, Puerto Rico. After coming to the aid of Britain in the Belorussian war, the combined allies of Prussia, Britain, Netherlands, Sweden, and the United States overcame the alliance of Russia, France, and the fledgling Turkic Empire. In the postwar world, American goods flow around the world and the standard of living is higher than anywhere else. Philadelphia is the largest city in the country, but New York City and Chicago threaten to overtake it as trade, whether from rail or ship, boosts their economies past what any many could have dreamed fifty years before. However, the US, for the first time, must begin to turn its eyes east as unrest in China threatens to unravel the peace the world has found itself in.

-----

Whoo! Anyway, this 100+ hour, 1 1/2 month map turned out pretty good, I think. I did it for an upcoming Timeline In A Day called The Nation of Brotherly Love, and I hope I've garnered some interest toward it with this short description. Overall, I'm happy with it. It's not supposed to be taken totally seriously, but more like a fun little alternate world exploration. Hope you all like it. Also, here are the full state names:

N.H.-New Hampshire
VT.-Vermont
MASS.-Massachusetts
R.I.-Rhode Island
CONN.-Connecticut
N.Y.-New York
PA.-Pennsylvania
MD.-Maryland
DEL.-Delaware
VA.-Virginia
N.C.-North Carolina
S.C.-South Carolina
GA.-Georgia
W. Florida-West Florida
MISS.-Mississippi
TENN.-Tennessee
KY.-Kentucky
IND.-Indiana
ILL.-Illinois
MO.-Missouri
ARK.-Arkansaw
LA.-Louisiana
WIS.-Wisconsin
MINI.-Minisota
KANS.-Kansa
OKLA.-Oklahoma
SEQ.-Sequoyah
COLO.-Colorado
N. MEX.-New Mexico
ARIZ.-Arizona
NEV.-Nevada
S. CALIF.-South California
N. CALIF.-North California
VIC.-Victoria
SHO.-Shoshone
OREG.-Oregon
FRA.-Franklin
YEL.-Yellowstone
MON.-Montana
S.D.-Saint Dominigue
DOM.- Santo Domingo
P.R.-Puerto Rico

In Canada:
WI.-Winnipeg
SAS.-Saskatchewan
FR.-Fredericks
PR. EDWARD I.-Prince Edward Island

8sOCuaY.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

US owned Baja and Caribbean. Yuck.

The map is aesthetically pleasing.

EDIT: ¡Cuidad Trujillo! 0_0

Last edited by a moderator:
The point of divergence here is that the riots outside of Independence Hall in Philadelphia during the drafting of the Constitution are avoided, leaving Philadelphia as the capital of the United States rather than pushing the delegates to move the capital to a newly-built one...

Very nice, I'm really not convince about the British leaving Western Canada to the US, but the map looks good.

Dirk

Banned
The point of divergence here is that the riots outside of Independence Hall in Philadelphia during the drafting of the Constitution are avoided, leaving Philadelphia as the capital of the United States rather than pushing the delegates to move the capital to a newly-built one. Butterflies flap from there, and the United States, under President Alexander Hamilton, go to war with Revolutionary France in 1799, capturing Saint-Dominigue (modern day Haiti) and Louisiana from the French. The French Republic is quickly defeated in Europe as well and collapses.

Great map!

Dawson's Creek, Yukon. Had me chuckling there. Is that a real place?

That's a magnificent map, PlatoonSgt. My only quibble is that whenever the US takes Mexican territory, it's all the Mexican's fault. :D The notion of a "Canadian Riviera" made me chuckle. Like to hear more about the rest of this world.

Bruce

Prequel to this map.
Large, clean version of this map.

This causes both the United States to grow closer to Great Britain and grow emboldened in its ability to fight European nations. Over the next decades, the United States rapidly advances across the American continent, fighting a brief war with Spain to free Mexico in the early 1820s. However, Mexico establishes an unfriendly imperial government, one who antagonizes the United States and the settles within the province of Texas. War comes, and the United States takes Texas in the peace after they smash the imperial government with the help of the Mexican people, who establish a republic.

Following the peace, the US focuses on northern expansion. A treaty with the British in the late 1820s give almost the entire Red River Valley to Canada, a valuable prize the British covet. In exchange, the British give up official claims on the Oregon Territory, and American settlers quickly claim the entire territory. Before the century is out, American settlers move up all of western North America, straight to Russian North America. With tensions between Russia, Britain, and Britain's ally Prussia high in Europe, and with the US still at least an economic ally of the British, the Russians sell Alayska to the USA before it is taken from them by force.

Meanwhile, in the south, the United States' hands off policy with Mexico resulted in an anti-American dictator seizing power and making noise about taking Texas back. One too many border tensions later and the US invades and takes all of California, the Baja Peninsula, and bits of northern Mexico in the peace deal, and establish a government backed closely by the United States. The government is somewhat-surprisingly effective at bringing stability to Mexico, particularly through American money. The US-backed Federal Republic of Guatemala to the south is less so, however, though by 1954 they have begun to rise up out of poverty.

In the Caribbean, the United States is king. Originally, the US only uses Saint-Dominigue as a dumping ground for freed slaves, but after the brief Southern Rebellion which freed all the slaves, they began to take a greater interest in the region. Uprisings against Spain were taken advantage of, and the United States quickly swallowed up Santo Domingo, Cuba, and Puerto Rico from Spain. All new territories were put on the fast track to statehood by the Whig-controlled government, who needed the voters. The British mostly got the rest of the Caribbean for themselves. More importantly, however, British capital provided for the building of a Nicaraguan Canal, a source of tension between the British and Americans that was only soothed over by special privileges for American shipping.

Despite not having a western coast, Canada has done quite well for itself. With the addition of the Red River Valley, the amount of arable land increased in early Canadian history, and drove more settlers to the colony. Westward expansion swept Canada like a fever in the latter half of the 19th century and early 20th, especially as the drive for emigration to Canada greatly increased in Britain. In particular, a large boost of settlers came over following the Bruges War in the early 20th century when French dirigibles firebombed London and caused thousands to flee.By 1954, Canada is the most populous and powerful of the British dominions, and has grown its own national identity. In a more tumultuous world, though, that identity has as of yet been put aside to stay with Britain and preserve the empire for as long as possible.

By 1954, the clear winner in North America is the United States, the colossus that stretches from Dena, Alayska to San Juan, Puerto Rico. After coming to the aid of Britain in the Belorussian war, the combined allies of Prussia, Britain, Netherlands, Sweden, and the United States overcame the alliance of Russia, France, and the fledgling Turkic Empire. In the postwar world, American goods flow around the world and the standard of living is higher than anywhere else. Philadelphia is the largest city in the country, but New York City and Chicago threaten to overtake it as trade, whether from rail or ship, boosts their economies past what any many could have dreamed fifty years before. However, the US, for the first time, must begin to turn its eyes east as unrest in China threatens to unravel the peace the world has found itself in.

-----

Whoo! Anyway, this 100+ hour, 1 1/2 month map turned out pretty good, I think. I did it for an upcoming Timeline In A Day called The Nation of Brotherly Love, and I hope I've garnered some interest toward it with this short description. Overall, I'm happy with it. It's not supposed to be taken totally seriously, but more like a fun little alternate world exploration. Hope you all like it. Also, here are the full state names:

N.H.-New Hampshire
VT.-Vermont
MASS.-Massachusetts
R.I.-Rhode Island
CONN.-Connecticut
N.Y.-New York
PA.-Pennsylvania
MD.-Maryland
DEL.-Delaware
VA.-Virginia
N.C.-North Carolina
S.C.-South Carolina
GA.-Georgia
W. Florida-West Florida
MISS.-Mississippi
TENN.-Tennessee
KY.-Kentucky
IND.-Indiana
ILL.-Illinois
MO.-Missouri
ARK.-Arkansaw
LA.-Louisiana
WIS.-Wisconsin
MINI.-Minisota
KANS.-Kansa
OKLA.-Oklahoma
SEQ.-Sequoyah
COLO.-Colorado
N. MEX.-New Mexico
ARIZ.-Arizona
NEV.-Nevada
S. CALIF.-South California
N. CALIF.-North California
VIC.-Victoria
SHO.-Shoshone
OREG.-Oregon
FRA.-Franklin
YEL.-Yellowstone
MON.-Montana
S.D.-Saint Dominigue
DOM.- Santo Domingo
P.R.-Puerto Rico

In Canada:
WI.-Winnipeg
SAS.-Saskatchewan
FR.-Fredericks
PR. EDWARD I.-Prince Edward Island

One of the greatest AH maps I have ever seen. The detail is outstanding.

I made this map of Africa, wherein a Fashoda War pits Germany and Britain against France. As you can see, a lot has changed. Biggest points of interest are probably the total mess that is the Khedivate of Egypt. Egypt proper is a British protectorate, with the Turks compensated by having the British more or less guard their hold over Tripolitania. However, Nubia, while de jure ruled by the Khedive, is de facto a British colony. British Sudan was split off into its own territory.

The Belgian Congo went a different way to OTL. When the horrors of the free state were revealed, the Anglo-German alliance, with a bone thrown to Portugal, decidedly carved up the necessary chunks of the Congo for themselves in the name of humanitarianism, leaving a rump Belgian colony.

The Libyan Desert is jointly ruled by the Ottoman Empire and the British, due to consistent disagreements over border placement. The London-Berlin alliance - due to the German interests in the Ottoman Empire - prevents major hositility here.

Ethiopia was carved between Britain and Italy during a civil war, resulting from, ironically, a mixture of British meddling and adventuring. The British established a cross-country trade route from Djibouti to Fashoda through Ethiopian territory, and when the emperor did nothing about it, his people decided to overthrow him. Rump Ethiopia is a British protectorate, as the British had to protect their interests, and the Italians have long-standing interest in the region.

So the year is around 1930, with no major wars having broken out since the Fashoda Crisis. Don't ask me about the Balkan Wars - I really half-assed this explanation so I couldn't figure out what would be going on in Europe. I was more interested in making the Africa map. :)

Hot Fashoda Africa.png

You sure?
Africa is probably going to have more "terra nullis" (not an accurate term here, but you know what I mean) if it's the late 19th early 20th century. Siberia would also probably be shown as more "empty" given an apparently lack of a Greater Russia.

Hmm... what is the political and social climate in China? China looks rather large there, why are they so large? If I know why I might be able to suggest stuff for Siberia, though it'll still probably be "empty" without a Greater Russia.
ITTL, the Russians collapsed due to a civil war. With the lack of Russian imperialism, China remains a bit stronger and more united. However, butterflies led to the British, rather than the Americans, opening up Japan. As a result, once the British began to expand their influence there, as well as already being established in India, the Qing felt threatened. They're rather hostile to the British, and as a result have modernized their military and infrastructure. Their rule over China is more solidified than it was IOTL. Also, without the Russians, there was really nothing stopping the Chinese from expanding northwards...or the Qing from simply bringing them back under their control.
I'm just gonna throw out all the questions that immediately come to mind here.

Why is there only partial British influence in Afghanistan?[1] If the POD is during the 1770s, then why is Russia still contained west of the Urals? Why is Ukraine even a thing? What are those little grey states on Russia's western border?[2] What's with the divided Brazil?[3] How did the Latin American revolutions play out ITTL?[4] Is that Draka I'm seeing in South Africa?[5] I understand that China is wanked here, but do its borders have to make it look like a blob? What interest does China have in Kamchatka?[6] How did Super-Sweden reemerge?[7] Why is Haiti Spanish?[8] How are the Ottomans doing?[9] How did the British establish their influence in Japan (how did China do it, for that matter)?[10] Is China still run by the Qing Dynasty?[11]
[1] That's left over from an earlier version, when Russia was wanked instead of screwed. I just haven't fixed it yet.
[2] A Russian Civil War later in the 19th century tore the country apart. A nationalist and somewhat revanchist, but democratic, republic claims to be the true successor of the Empire, and has its capital at Moscow(St. Petersburg has imperial connotations and is too close to Sweden-Norway-Estonia). The various "grey states" are independent countries that declared their independence when the Empire collapsed. "Ukraine" is a (surprisingly) liberal multicultural monarchy that serves as a buffer between the Ottomans and the Russian Republic. Siberia wasn't very heavily colonized by the time of the POD, and was only lightly settled when Russia collapsed.
[3] This was inspired by Glen's "Dominion of Southern America". The Portuguese held on to Maranhao, while the Free State of the Equator declared its independence from the slavocratic rump-Brazil.
[4] Napoleon never rose to power, so Spain managed to hold on to its colonies for a bit longer. Its system of government in Peru-Bolivia and the Caribbean was reformed, and those colonies are mostly self-governing by now. However, Mexico, Gran Colombia, Argentina and Chile declared their independence mostly as IOTL.
[5] No, just a South Africa that I haven't pained British pink yet.
[6] I was testing out the Kamchatka thing to see how it would look. China is currently at its largest historical borders during the Qing era, plus how far I thought I might be able to expand it, mostly using natural boundaries.
[7] It began as a personal union between Sweden and Finland that centralized.
[8] The French weren't able to control it after a slave revolt, so they offered to sell it to the Spanish. As a part of reforms, the Spanish freed the slaves, and continued to profit from the sugar. At least, that's what I think. I had an explanation, but I forgot it by now. :eek:
[9] They're profiting from the oil, but they're a bit too powerful for the British (or French, for that matter) to like very much.
[10] I explained that earlier. The British and Chinese agreed to partition Japan into zones of influence to prevent conflict in the region.
[11] Yes, but its reformed a lot. It's much stronger than IOTL, more stable and less corrupt

Arkocento

Donor
[2] A Russian Civil War later in the 19th century tore the country apart. A nationalist and somewhat revanchist, but democratic, republic claims to be the true successor of the Empire, and has its capital at Moscow(St. Petersburg has imperial connotations and is too close to Sweden-Norway-Estonia). The various "grey states" are independent countries that declared their independence when the Empire collapsed. "Ukraine" is a (surprisingly) liberal multicultural monarchy that serves as a buffer between the Ottomans and the Russian Republic. Siberia wasn't very heavily colonized by the time of the POD, and was only lightly settled when Russia collapsed.
The Russians reached the Pacific Ocean in 1639. After the conquest of the Siberian Khanate (1598) the whole of northern Asia - an area much larger than the old khanate - became known as Siberia and by 1640 the eastern borders of Russia had expanded more than several million square kilometres. In a sense, the khanate lived on in the subsidiary title "Tsar of Siberia" which became part of the full imperial style of the Russian Autocrats.

Kamchatka today is European in demographics and culture with only 2.5 % of it being native, around 10,000 from a previous number of 150,000, due to the mass slaughters by the Cossacks after its annexation in 1697 of the Itelmen and Koryaks throughout the first decades of Russian rule. The genocide by the Russian Cossacks devastated the native peoples of Kamchatka and exterminated much of their population

If the PoD is the 1770s and the Civil War broke russian in the 19th century, What butterflies away Russian Forts on the Pacific that had been there for over a century? With the Russians all but falling in on themselves, and The Cossacks generally leading the way in Siberia, wouldn't they just prop themselves up into some Pseudo-Khanate warlord states?

How did Poland reclaim West Prussia if the first partition already occurred?

With a PoD of 1775, what shifts Chinese Mentality to Go north instead of traditionally south to reclaim their on/off Vietnamese Vassals?

where did the Chinese fleets come from, and did it former earlier than OTL?

I don't know, the PoD and the history given just don't explain How russia was so devastated.

Ottomans Controlling all of Arabia? All of it? (and Sudan kinda?) Whats going on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.