Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathuen

Banned
A WIP I'm working on. The POD is during the Revolution, when all British colonies in North America rebel. There's a bit of a butterfly net, but not too much. This map is set during the late 19th/early 20th century, and operates mostly on Rule of Cool, though I'm trying to keep it at least somewhat plausible. Right now, Russia is contained west of the Urals, and even with a wanked China, Siberia looks pretty empty. Any ideas on what could go there?

Africa is probably going to have more "terra nullis" (not an accurate term here, but you know what I mean) if it's the late 19th early 20th century. Siberia would also probably be shown as more "empty" given an apparently lack of a Greater Russia.

Hmm... what is the political and social climate in China? China looks rather large there, why are they so large? If I know why I might be able to suggest stuff for Siberia, though it'll still probably be "empty" without a Greater Russia.

Epstein

Banned
A WIP I'm working on. The POD is during the Revolution, when all British colonies in North America rebel. There's a bit of a butterfly net, but not too much. This map is set during the late 19th/early 20th century, and operates mostly on Rule of Cool, though I'm trying to keep it at least somewhat plausible. Right now, Russia is contained west of the Urals, and even with a wanked China, Siberia looks pretty empty. Any ideas on what could go there?

I'm just gonna throw out all the questions that immediately come to mind here.

Why is there only partial British influence in Afghanistan? If the POD is during the 1770s, then why is Russia still contained west of the Urals? Why is Ukraine even a thing? What are those little grey states on Russia's western border? What's with the divided Brazil? How did the Latin American revolutions play out ITTL? Is that Draka I'm seeing in South Africa? I understand that China is wanked here, but do its borders have to make it look like a blob? What interest does China have in Kamchatka? How did Super-Sweden reemerge? Why is Haiti Spanish? How are the Ottomans doing? How did the British establish their influence in Japan (how did China do it, for that matter)? Is China still run by the Qing Dynasty?

Mathuen

Banned

Why is there only partial British influence in Afghanistan? If the POD is during the 1770s, then why is Russia still contained west of the Urals? Why is Ukraine even a thing? What are those little grey states on Russia's western border? What's with the divided Brazil? How did the Latin American revolutions play out ITTL? Is that Draka I'm seeing in South Africa? I understand that China is wanked here, but do its borders have to make it look like a blob? What interest does China have in Kamchatka? How did Super-Sweden reemerge? Why is Haiti Spanish? How are the Ottomans doing? How did the British establish their influence in Japan (how did China do it, for that matter)? Is China still run by the Qing Dynasty?

The lands of Wo are of rightful Chinese clay. Gibs to China.

I recommend tweaking the formatting on the write up. Put some line breaks between the regions or something. It's really hard to read as it is. That aside, and the numbers on the map being cluttered, it's a cool scenario.
Yes, I plan to change my system for the next scenario, because this one turned out to be about 10 pages long.

So, I'm doing a Q-BAM currently. Thing is, it could be described a bit like 'HRE covering the world'. Not literally, mind, the POD is early enough that there isn't a HRE and there are actually some largish states, particularly in Asia- anyway. Now, I don't -just- want to do a map, that's boring. Thing is, including information about every single state would take up several pages of the thread, even if it's basic facts rather then interesting prose. Even just the coloured/notable ones would take up an incredible amount of space and time for both me and those reading. Munroist ideas would lead to several thousand notations and the same problems, plus the whole 'there's always one missing' thing would compound and cause an absolute mess. So. How many people actually -want- that much to read? Anyone got a better idea?

Here is a small clipping of the area around the city of Rome, which is fairly representative. Well, for Southern Europe at least, things are a bit worse in some areas and better in others.

locsnip.png

Deleted member 67076

Because it is God and Trujillo's will.

Here is a small clipping of the area around the city of Rome, which is fairly representative. Well, for Southern Europe at least, things are a bit worse in some areas and better in others.

I am afraid I cant offer any particularly useful solutions but I want to say that map looks incredible. Personally I would be quite happy to have a complete page of information in flowing colour because I enjoy lots of depth to accompany maps. Perhaps create a text post elsewhere on the site and link to it ?

Updated map for the return of the Turtledove winning Nation Game The Greatest Game prior to the outbreak of the War of the Eighth Coalition.

m6LsAhd.png

Seraphiel

Banned
Updated map for the return of the Turtledove winning Nation Game The Greatest Game prior to the outbreak of the War of the Eighth Coalition.

http://i.imgur.com/m6LsAhd.pngMG][/CENTER][/QUOTE]

Lovely map, you wouldnt mind directing me to the link for the game would you?​

Arkocento

Donor
fEeMuog.png

Not too long ago someone posted a map with the PoD of no 1918 Summer offensive for Germany, and the Bulgarians being more successful in 1918 as well.

This is a WIP from the middle of the Second World War immediately before Action Francaise, and Austrian Federation finally butt heads with the Russian Bear.

One of the Main reasons that France turned right wing was the myth of the "Stab in the back" By the armed forces. With no Summer Offensive, the results of the Allied offensives on the western front were far from a disastrous affair for the Germans. When the Peace was made, the Germans got off with light reparations, the lost of Alsace Lorraine, a Majority of their colonies, but surprisingly retained the Polish Corridor. All of their success on the Western front only occurred by sacrificing their gains in the east to anarchy, which would through a number of butterfly effects Ended with the Bolsheviks failing in Russia.

The Main repercussion for the lack of a Summer Offensive was actually felt on the Ottomans. Without the pressure in europe the Battle of Megiddo occurred much earlier than OTL. With no victories against the Georgians or Armenians having occurred, the Ottomans are the first to fold, When Enver Pasha tries to march on Baku with no official backing, his troops are routed, he however escapes to Central asia much earlier.

With the Ottomans down, the Bulgarians see little option but to ask for an armistice as well, but are in a rather strong position as well, able to retain a port in the Aegean.

The Communists in china are far different, the Warlords in the north have consolidated under Japanese guidance, and the Guimindong while smaller, is far more centralized than OTL.

Before you ask, the French invaded Spain not too long ago, and really fucked up When attempting to divide it into obedient puppet states. Each country is pretty much a Military government with no control over the countryside.

So, I'm doing a Q-BAM currently. Thing is, it could be described a bit like 'HRE covering the world'. Not literally, mind, the POD is early enough that there isn't a HRE and there are actually some largish states, particularly in Asia- anyway. Now, I don't -just- want to do a map, that's boring. Thing is, including information about every single state would take up several pages of the thread, even if it's basic facts rather then interesting prose. Even just the coloured/notable ones would take up an incredible amount of space and time for both me and those reading. Munroist ideas would lead to several thousand notations and the same problems, plus the whole 'there's always one missing' thing would compound and cause an absolute mess. So. How many people actually -want- that much to read? Anyone got a better idea?

You could start a dedicated thread. Not sure what sub it would go in though.

Not too long ago someone posted a map with the PoD of no 1918 Summer offensive for Germany, and the Bulgarians being more successful in 1918 as well.

This is a WIP from the middle of the Second World War immediately before Action Francaise, and Austrian Federation finally butt heads with the Russian Bear.

So Austria, Poland, and France join forces to carve up Germany?

What's the Austrian Federation like? Looks like it would have trouble just staying together, let alone fight a major war, but I suppose looks can be deceiving... :)

Well, why not stick to "major" states (larger than Belgium? :p ) and just give "regional overviews" for the more fragmented areas. I'm fine with 3-4 pages of regular text, but that may just be me.

Bruce

Arkocento

Donor
So Austria, Poland, and France join forces to carve up Germany?

What's the Austrian Federation like? Looks like it would have trouble just staying together, let alone fight a major war, but I suppose looks can be deceiving... :)

It Originally only contained Czechoslovakia, and Austria, the first acquisition was the South German Republic, followed by Venice ( which was expanded to include most of Northern Italy), Croatia, Bosnia, and Lastly Hungary. the Only one that occurred via direct volition was Hungary, and that was only to deny the Romanians any more of Transylvania.

And While the Vienna-Paris Axis are the main two, Poland was forced into the alliance following the collapse of the Intermarium. Ukraine, Belarus, Lithuania, and the Baltic State all fell into Russian control, which the Poles were willing to do anything to overturn. Perhaps from this timelines perspective the Poles could have allied with the Germans and changed things immensely, instead the Battle for Germany lasted only a few weeks before the French were on the Rhine, the Poles had forced the surrender of the Prussian Pocket, and Berlin itself was being fired upon by Austrian artillery.

there is some Petain analogue in this universe that Did what he could to salvage the Germans, but German Cameroon has become a surprising popular place for Germans who want nothing to do with the Puppet government in Berlin.

Ill be honest, By the end of this war Austria Federation will be looked on with Disappointment, not hatred on animosity, and most of its former states Will remain closely linked in one way or another ( North Italy is not one of them )

Arkocento

Donor
How did that happen? Did Germany break up in some sort of civil war? :confused:

As you said, Austria, France, and Poland joined up to carve apart Germany, the acquisition of South Germany was through that.

If I was to compare the situation to anything, Imagine that France is OTL Nazi Germany, Austria is a decentralized but surprisingly powerful Italy, And Germany takes the position of OTL France

As you said, Austria, France, and Poland joined up to carve apart Germany, the acquisition of South Germany was through that.

If I was to compare the situation to anything, Imagine that France is OTL Nazi Germany, Austria is a decentralized but surprisingly powerful Italy, And Germany takes the position of OTL France

Ah, OK, so Austria started the war with just Austria proper and the Czechs. The rest are wartime gains.

Status
Not open for further replies.