Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Vermont should be named Connecticut, since it covers the watershed of the Connecticut River. The state you call Connecticut can be called Hudson, since it covers the watershed of that river.

Also, you abbreviate both Mississippi and Missouri as MIS.

Whoops. Well that needs fixing.

I should probably talk about what went through my head as I designed this. I thought about the issues with border patrol this country would have. Panama would be near impenetrable with the environment and geography and the amount of border patrol resources that would be poured into one area. Despite this, I actually added a bit of a buffer zone to Panama. So illegal immigration is going to more strongly consist of over-seas travel. Either short trips from South America into the coastal areas of Panama, or coming over on bigger ships.

I also thought the idea of alternate mega-states was interesting. In our timeline New York, Florida, California, Texas and to some extent Ohio are the big states population wise. In this timeline, Mexico would be the largest state by far, though I thought of calling it something else. Meso-America is likely the next largest state. I imagine this came about due to concessions for the annexation of Mexico and Central America, as doing this prevents Mexico and CA from getting many Senators. Though obviously they have a lot of representation in the house.

Deseret just sounds kinda cool. Same with Superior. Lincoln is another state, replacing Alberta. Jefferson is yet another. Westsylvania is also in there and is almost a major state as well.

Territories include Yukon, North West Territories, American Arctic Territories and Greenland.

2X6bWqt.jpg

Whoops. Well that needs fixing.

I should probably talk about what went through my head as I designed this. I thought about the issues with border patrol this country would have. Panama would be near impenetrable with the environment and geography and the amount of border patrol resources that would be poured into one area. Despite this, I actually added a bit of a buffer zone to Panama. So illegal immigration is going to more strongly consist of over-seas travel. Either short trips from South America into the coastal areas of Panama, or coming over on bigger ships.

I also thought the idea of alternate mega-states was interesting. In our timeline New York, Florida, California, Texas and to some extent Ohio are the big states population wise. In this timeline, Mexico would be the largest state by far, though I thought of calling it something else. Meso-America is likely the next largest state. I imagine this came about due to concessions for the annexation of Mexico and Central America, as doing this prevents Mexico and CA from getting many Senators. Though obviously they have a lot of representation in the house.

Deseret just sounds kinda cool. Same with Superior. Lincoln is another state, replacing Alberta. Jefferson is yet another. Westsylvania is also in there and is almost a major state as well.

Territories include Yukon, North West Territories, American Arctic Territories and Greenland.

It looks to me like Nunavut should be a territory and the NWT shouldn't be (they at least have the oil sands, and probably have Edmonton).

New version of Alternate Timeline Israel map (click for full sized version):

I went with a limited color palette to reflect what you might see in a cheap Israeli school textbook. (Hence, no reference to "green line", etc.)

The map now has coarse some demographic information as well as a map of the wider Near East in this timeline.

If there is any interest I can also produce an English-version map.

Last edited:

I went with a limited color palette to reflect what you might see in a cheap Israeli school textbook. (Hence, no reference to "green line", etc.)

The map now has coarse some demographic information as well as a map of the wider Near East in this timeline.

More excellentness, I'm really liking these maps. I see you broke up Iraq.

More excellentness, I'm really liking these maps. I see you broke up Iraq.

Yes, Iraq and Syria are broken up into Druze, Sunni, Alawite, Kurd, and Shia blocs. To make the demographics more manageable, southern Lebanon has also been separated from Lebanon proper into a "Shiite Zone" that has limited autonomy and is occupied by (Maronite) Lebanon and Israel. In this timeline, Turkey is strong enough to fend off Kurdistan. Iran and Saudi Arabia retain territorial integrity as well.

So, after missing my old Photoshop for a long time, I finally decided to do something about it and downloaded Paint.net and started fiddling with it.

As part of that, I'm posting a work in progress for a FTL map I'm creating for the Map of the Month Contest.

But the map also functions as a decent (at least I hope it does) map of nearby Solar Systems, so here ya go. The names of the different solar systems are all their current OTL ones, but I'll probably change them for the actual map since the POD is in the 1850's. At the very least, the human habital ones.

NOTE: The map does exclude certain Brown Dwarfs, but it covers I think all the known star systems in the surrounding area.

12 lightyears map upload.png

Last edited:
1) fair enough.
2) yes i did
3) and don't expect me to ever get it right. :p

Fixed it.

A shame with Liberia, as it was technically within the area labeled Libya by the Rmans. Plus plenty of people used certain names for vast swaths of land, like Guinea and Soudan getting a large chunk of Africa between the Sahara desert and Congo basin given names with those words in it.

Arkocento

Donor
zvPixv1.png

of Course, I borrowed from Beedok. Unfortunately, the Boii Empire is on the Verge of collapse.

Strong Rulers before the Great Migration were well on their way to developing a single Celtic tongue in the Empire. While on paper the Boii survived the Migration well, with few important losses, they were forced to allow greater autonomy to tribes as they moved into the Empire. This would actually save the Empire for a time, allowing the Magyars to muscle in and displace the Slavs of the Carpathian Basin while still agreeing to a lip service agreement to the Boii Empire. Of course the Magyars are getting rowdy, expanding further than was agreed upon, The Boii would have already pushed them back to their place If Centuries of Planning had not been vindicated by the "SPQR" (Which Had Survived in the south, though at the cost of rather extensive Hellenization)
The Aquitanians, and Hibernians, Both indirectly suffering from the Boii would Find a Common ally with the Romans while building up their strength in one way or another. When the War came it was swift, devastating and left the Empire reeling, the Treaty was not without its opposition, but with Bononia under Siege by the Romans, And the Aquitani threatening to take Iberia the Peace was agreed upon.

Since then the Boii have continued onto a downward spiral. The agreement made with the tribes now begining to backfire, the Franks are planning to move south, the Magyars are about to Cut all ties with them, And a Certain Man in Gaul is about to make himself known.

Will the Boii survive this final onslaught, or Collapse no longer able to survive?

The World in 1932, 4 years after the Great Market Crash. The hypernationalist (this TL's equivalent of fascism) government of Italy has conquered Ethiopia, and Servia has made a secret pact with Rumania and Greece to get revenge on Bulgaria and the Hungarian Empire. The ore-rich Briey area is due to return to France at the end of the year. Hypernationalist parties are coming to power in France and Russia, while both the United States and Great Britain maintain isolationalist policies as they struggle through the economic crash. Germany's Mitteleuropa system struggles through this period. The balance of power is soon to be upset.

centralpowers.png

Very nice.

Some Hebrew nitpicks:
-עבר הירדן sounds...strange for Transjordan. I would do עבר לירדן instead (it's a more correct use of conjunctions to say "across the Jordan")
-Instead of דמוגרפיה של... I would use דמוגרית, which is a compound noun instead of a noun+conjunction, and sounds more natural
-You need a better name than "Arab Judaism". That title would so not fly in Israel for a number of internal reasons. Might I suggest something involving the Noahide Laws? Perhaps "נוחות", which is funny because it also means comfort, but...
-I'm not convinced that "Druze Mountain" would be directly translated. It sounds really weird. It if happened today, they would almost certainly just write ג'אבל אל-דרוז. But if it happened 40-50 years ago...I dunno.

But all in all, very cool.

Current Date: 1949
POD: 1914
I'll take it the Turks are miffed about not gaining land with actual Turks in it? Have there been any mass*deportations of lucky *Turkic speakers or tribes from the Soviet areas into*

How did the Germans go after taking the US? Wait until they were sure the largest possible grouping of New Dealers (though it was a plan any Fascist would dream for), Jews, and others were in New York, flatten it, then hope the German demographic in the US took over? And was their horror amongst the Italians at possibly losing more Italians than were in Africa before WWII in the bombing?*

What is the Apartheid state in Canada like? Jews (well, those with Jewish ancestry. We need a word for that.) Inuits, the Metis, Blacks, and the Ukrainians of the Plains get second class citizenship?

Status
Not open for further replies.