Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, I really quite like it. Although I have seen bigger Israels that weren't considered ASB, you might be able to get this one with POD around '67 or so.

I was thinking the POD was before WWII, with more Ashkenazi Jews escaping to Mandatory Palestine, bulking up the demography. Granted, the 1949 line being the same given this change is suspiciously convergent. (You can kind of make out the green line in the map with the diagonal shading). But yeah, keeping thinks the same till '67, post '67 would have to see a huge amount of immigration from the USA to make the demographics feasible. One can envision the collapse of the Hashemites following 1967, and a prolonged 1973 war resulting in a revolutionary Jordan being conquered and occupied. So that divergence, in addition to Kissinger letting Israel off the leash once the tide turned in the '73 war.

The way I was picturing this, the Israeli majority is solid in areas annexed (Judea & Samaria, etc). (Not hard to envision WB being annexed; almost impossible to really do a reasonable timeline where the Gaza pill is not too bitter to swallow.) So somehow assume immigration and birthrates to make that so. Gaza and Transjordan take the role of Gaza and the West Bank in our timeline; large Arab population with a light smattering of Israeli settlement, primarily blocs in the Perea and Gilead districts.

I have also been toying with the idea of some sort of conversion of a large fraction of the Arab population in Judea & Samaria following 1967, somehow they get caught up in some roided out version of Messianism and rediscover Jewish roots. This is very ASB though.

This was the religious distribution I was toying with:
religious_distribution_by_alternatehistory87-d7pjepf.png

With Blue being Ashkenazi/Sephardi/Mizrahi/Ethiopian Jews, Green denoting Sunni/Shia/Druze Muslims, Red denoting Maronites, Greek Ortho., etc and Light Blue denoting Arabs who have joined some wacky, Messianic, Arabicized, Samaritan-like version of Judaism following spectacular defeats in '49 and '67. This last part is still iffy.

Last edited:
Well, I suppose the southeastern border could be extended eastward a bit; after all, that corner bit of Georgia is part of Appalachia as well. Otherwise, I agree the joining of the two looks a tad weird.

Nah, the name's not too bad. Too bad they wouldn't go with Frankland or Franklin like East TN was originally proposed as in the 1780s.

But such a small corridor - even if both areas are Appalachian in culture and sentiment it would be easier to make two different states.

Say the name really fast a couple of times...

Nah, the name's not too bad. Too bad they wouldn't go with Frankland or Franklin like East TN was originally proposed as in the 1780s.

But such a small corridor - even if both areas are Appalachian in culture and sentiment it would be easier to make two different states.

Hmm. If you joined up all the Appalachian cultural areas, how big a state do you get? This is the geographic area

appalachia.jpg

but it includes areas I suspect aren't very Hillbilly.

Bruce

Hmm. If you joined up all the Appalachian cultural areas, how big a state do you get? This is the geographic area

*image snip*

but it includes areas I suspect aren't very Hillbilly.

Bruce

One that would dominate America!

Of course, some argue Appalachian culture does anyway. ;):D

I never did understand the convention of outlining Nazi Germany in a darker grey. Doesn't detract from the map at all of course, just an observation.

It was something done on a few really early maps from the Basemap series that was dropped fairly quickly since, well, it's meaningless.

I think the dark grey is to denote that the Nazis are in charge so Nazi Germany isn't confused with Wilhelmine or Republican Germany...kind of a 'these are the Bad Guys' sign :p

Aye, but it's unnecessary. Whether ruled by Nazis or monarchists, or a democratically elected government, Germany is still Germany. It's not like the USSR, where Russia became, well, the USSR.

Aye, but it's unnecessary. Whether ruled by Nazis or monarchists, or a democratically elected government, Germany is still Germany. It's not like the USSR, where Russia became, well, the USSR.

But it's aestetically pleasing!

Coming from someone who totally doesn't use said Germany look for their own TL. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.