Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorozhand

Banned
Emperor Jinzong, though he brought the Song Dynasty to its height of naked power and prestige, laid the groundwork for the empire's fall. The military was over-stretched due to adventures in the north and south, and the nation's coffers drained. The court Mandarins had had enough of this, and he was overthrown in a secret plot. His replacement, the Emperor Anzong, was an incompetent ruler who delegated responsibility to the Mandarins and lived a life of lavish partying and general debauchery. He ordered the construction of a gigantic new palace in Kaifeng which cost the country dearly, and, at the advice of his ministers, allowed the military to languish. This did not bode well however, as the empire had been beset by enemies due to the militaristic reign of his predecessor, and soon barbarians were raiding the countryside with impunity.

After catastrophic flooding of the Yellow River, the peasants rose in revolt, which was allowed to go on almost unchecked, the Emperor believing that it would dwindle on its own. By the time it was finally crushed, the country was in ruins and nearly bankrupt. After this, Anzong was beset by a fit of madness (believed to have been late onset Schizophrenia) and demanded that the estates of nobles in Shandong (given land in the region by Emperor Xiaozong after the war against Liao) whom he believed were plotting against him, to be confiscated. The mandarins did not allow this to go through, but the nobles were so insulted that they rose in revolt. The leader of the rebellion, who had been named Prince of Lu by Xiaozong, declared himself emperor of the new Lu Dynasty, Song being seen to have lost the Mandate.

To make matters worse, Anzong had demanded exorbitant tribute in silver, jade, and slaves from Hujin, who, after he had humiliated a Jin delegation by forcing them to Kowtow no less than 40 times, declared war, defeating Song armies in the northern commanderies and crossing the Yalu into Liaodong.

Eventually, most of the Song army revolted, and after a civil war and the loss of the entire Liaodong Peninsula to Hujin, Emperor Taizu of Lu ruled the entire nation. He set about rebuilding the country and making peace with Korea, as well as restoring China's military strength and campaigning against barbarians in the north. His successors continued to build and expand, and conquered territories in the west, dominating the Silk Road and parts of the Tarim Basin as had the Tang Dynasty. The empire's capital was made the city of Qufu (capital of the ancient Lu state).

It was the Lu emperor Mingzong who accepted an Italian delegation under Alessandro De Luca, opening ties between Europe and the far east.

Lu Dynasty2.png

Lu Dynasty2.png

Last edited:
Simple curiosity about the biggest Egypt could possibly get in the absence of Britain morphed into a gleeful Russo-Aegypto-Franco-Germano-Ameri-Canadawank. The year is 1910.

Enjoy!:D

Interesting ideas here, TBH. :cool: What's with that extraordinary Mexican claim on U.S. territory, though? Are they ruled by ultra-nationalist revanchists or something?

Emperor Shenzong's campaign against Western Xia succeeds and leads to the complete conquest of the Gansu corridor and most Xia lands . . . Later in [Emperor Xiaozong's] reign, a war is sparked between Song and Liao, which ends in a complete Song victory, in which Song annexes the Sixteen Prefectures and Liao retreats northwestwards into the steppe. [Emphasis added]

I'm going to assume that the PoD occurred around 1080, and that the war between the Song and Liao occurred around 1100 or so, which will be important for my analysis below.

That's not Goryeo, that's Hujin. Korea did indeed join in with Song during the war against Liao, but the Korean army led by King Myeongjong was destroyed in battle north of the Yalu (mostly due to infighting among the generals, Myeongjong's weakness, and clumsy command). The generals were killed, and the king was captured and held for ransom, but was assassinated by a Liao soldier before this could happen. The Goryeo court was thrown into disarray, rogue armies, ambitious lords, and peasant rebellions fractured the country into small warring factions.

IOTL, Myeongjong did not take the throne until 1170, around 90 years after the PoD, during which he remained as a figurehead due to the military regime. If you meant to indicate that "Myeongjong" ITTL was a different individual from the one IOTL, you should have made that clear. In any case, the main rulers at the time were Munjong (r. 1046-83), Seonjong (r. 1083-94), and Sukjong (1095-1105), as Sunjong and Heonjong had very short reigns. The Cheolli Jangseong (Thousand-li Wall) had been built from 1033-44 along the northern border for defense, despite peace with the Liao, while Munjong began to consolidate both the government and the military soon afterward, allowing his successor, Seonjong, to pursue cultural policies due to internal stability. Sukjong then decided to invade the Jurchen in 1103 by assigning control to Yun Gwan, who was born in 1040 (40 years before the PoD), as he was the most senior general at the time, although the first campaign failed. Yun then advised the ruler to conscript a larger army, causing the Byeolmuban to be created in the following year, which attacked the Jurchen in 1107 with around 170,000 troops, while the total number mobilized was around 300,000.

In other words, Goryeo's defenses and military had been fully consolidated by 1070-80. Although they deteriorated somewhat during peacetime, the fact that the state managed to mobilize well over 200,000 troops soon after 1100 just to pacify the northeastern frontier suggests that the military would have been much more prepared during a direct assault against the Liao. In other words, due to the army's situation at the time, a failed campaign due to severe infighting among generals would have been virtually impossible.

When the Song armies had defeated Liao in the west and drove them northwards, they then headed east to attempt to restore order in Korea. One of the post-Goryeo kingdoms, Jin (later Jin), had united much of the south, while another kingdom warred with it from the north, slowly winning. The Jin king, desperate, pledged his vassalship to the Song Emperor while the rival king was haughty and foolish and rebuked Song emissaries. Song attacked the rival state from the north and defeated it. Afterwards, the border with Hujin was set for the most part along the Taedong and Kumya rivers. Hujin was both grateful for Song's help, and too weak to do anything about it anyway.

See above. I remember you incorporating a "Hujin" in another scenario as well for a similarly obscure reason, but both involve situations in which Korea had fully consolidated its military a decade or so beforehand due to border tensions, and would have been more than prepared in the event of a major war, so a coup in either doesn't exactly make sense.

Even if a coup had managed to somehow occur, "Hujin" would not work for a dynastic name, in part because the original "Jin" was a relatively marginal dynasty that would not have particularly attracted public sentiment, severely limiting its supporters, not to mention that the later entity would just be referred to as "Jin," while the previous one would probably be called "Gojin" (similar to Gojoseon), "Jeonjin" (Former Jin), or a similar equivalent, as "Later" was used to denote regional entities that did not unify the country.

As for the Ryukyus, Song became a great naval power and established a foothold on the islands of the near Pacific. Ostensibly over a succession dispute among the Ryukyu kings, the Song navy invaded the islands and set up direct administration. The Song Emperor at the time, Jinzong was a hasty and adventurous man who sent the army and navy on many adventures for no purpose other than prestige, something which the empire would soon pay for.

While this might work, given that the general situation within the Ryukyus remained vague due to minimal diplomatic contacts until the 14th century or so, this would also probably be the reason why the Song would not interfere, as there would have been no way for the Chinese court to accurately gauge the situation. It's also worth noting that China didn't even send major troops to colonize Taiwan until the fall of the Ming, and while the Sui might have sent some troops, the island was not retained under the Tang.

In addition, as I stated earlier, taking Jeju wouldn't exactly make sense either if Goryeo remains independent.

Dorozhand

Banned
Eventually, after a period of prosperity, the Lu Dynasty began to disintegrate. The long reign of Emperor Wenzong, who focused solely on cultural development and held a pacifistic foreign policy, damaged Lu's military reputation. The west was slowly lost to Tangut and Kyrgyz invasions, and the north was lost to the Jurchen. During the reign of his successor, Emperor Sizong, the fragmented Khitan were reunified by a strong leader, and a loose coalition was formed among various nomadic steppe peoples under the Western Liao court. This new Khitan Empire then launched a massive invasion of declining China, which happened to coincide with a peasant rebellion in the south. Lu broke under the pressure and Liao conquered all of China north of the Huai in 1427.

This success would be brief, however, as the new Liao empire was divided among major factions and generals even while Southern Lu broke up between rival claimants. The Nine Kingdoms Period began.

8 Kingdoms.png

8 Kingdoms.png

I wonder how many of you use QGIS or some other form of GIS?

Just out of curiosity. Pic related. (I had to screen capture and then reformat from BMP to PNG to get it to fit on this website.)

The screen capture was done via Picasa by pressing "Print Screen".

The map is of New Jersey with some isle hastily created by an ASB whose mom was eager to get on with celebrating Mother's Day.

Fullscreen capture 5112014 35232 PM.png

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity. Pic related. (I had to screen capture and then reformat from BMP to PNG to get it to fit on this website.)

The screen capture was done via Piscasa by pressing "Print Screen".

All the maps I've posted in this thread were done using ArcGIS/ArcMap.

Here's close to my current incarnation of my cartography final project. I didn't export the actual final version because I was just too tired last night, but it has a nice neatline around it and I've centered the items in the legend better. I think I need to adjust the colors in the legend more, shrink the masks around the text, make the rivers a lighter still blue, increase the size of Mexico's label, and fix the wording of most of the legend items.

Also I really want to pirate Arc software, but I need a computer capable of running it first.

Here's close to my current incarnation of my cartography final project. I didn't export the actual final version because I was just too tired last night, but it has a nice neatline around it and I've centered the items in the legend better. I think I need to adjust the colors in the legend more, shrink the masks around the text, make the rivers a lighter still blue, increase the size of Mexico's label, and fix the wording of most of the legend items.

Cool. People ought to get more into gis in the alt history world (although editing the data to support alternative history can make for tedious work). The above post was the first one in which i actually posted a gis map; earlier ones use the same Microsoft paint work they've used since time immemorial).

But, yeah. Alt historians would benefit greatly from .shp and .kmz files.

it is interesting that I've used gis for urban planning studies, or journalism work, or even copying a photograph of my late grandma by hand onto the state of new Jersey (yeah, i did some basic georeferencing there), but only now have i gotten into it for alt history.

Last edited:

Also I really want to pirate Arc software, but I need a computer capable of running it first.

Looks great. Couple of things: you have "Urban and Build Up" and "Cities and Towns" both listed in the legend - what's the difference? Also, the white border on the San Jacinto River label seems to be more like a drop-shadow than the other examples.

Looks great. Couple of things: you have "Urban and Build Up" and "Cities and Towns" both listed in the legend - what's the difference?
The Cities and Towns are the ones that have a label and a border around their city limits or metropolitan areas; urban and build up are the innards of those cities/towns and the ones that aren't labeled. Which reminds me, I want to show that distinction in the legend.

Also, the white border on the San Jacinto River label seems to be more like a drop-shadow than the other examples.

Yeah, the San Jacinto River is in a difficult spot to label and I probably shouldn't even include it, since it's not at all an important river, but I've kayaked it so it holds a special place in my heart. As a compromise I made its label smaller than the others and gave it a smaller mask than any other labels to try to avoid clutter, but I'll probably end up just removing it. I actually shrank all the masks to that level before printing it up and deciding I should have stuck with the wider one or at least not nerf it quite so much.

Sorry, I use Paint, and not some fancy GIS tool. :p

Anyways, here is a FH map that was potentially altered by a rather weak alien space bat. Here goes!

The_New_Society_copy.png

In the future, NATO got in a war with Russia, China and their allies over Latvia and North Korea. Large regions of Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, and Alaska were destroyed. No nuclear missiles were used, nor fusion bombs, but fission bombs were. NATO won, but at a great cost.

Revolutionaries and reformists rose from the Western World. They demanded technocracy. After all, democracy, monarchy, and communism had already failed. After a very brief Technocracy War, an academic dictatorship was set up with Seven Capitals: Portland, New York, Stockholm, Brussels, Hobart and Nagasaki.

The academics put a number of reforms into affect, following a strategy of "Destroy the Past." Corporations were prohibited, large portions of the Internet were shut down (Including Drudge Report, anything with .edu, Alternate History, etc), religion was discouraged.

The academics, now Technocrats, ruled from their seven capitals. They split humanity into three levels. Academics, inner and outer, provided scientific research and governance. They were officers in the military as well. Athletics served as the celebrities and the distractors for the Commoners, and were NCOs in the military. They were actors and singers as well as sportsmen. The Commoners provided labor for the new nation, and served as enlisted men. 75% of residents were Commoners, 5% were Athletics, 19% were Outer Academics, and 1% were Inner Academics. There were also Special Religious-Rights Areas in Utah (for Mormons) and Wisconsin and Italy (for Catholics).

Over time advances in medicine and robotics and the prevalence of recreational drugs led to Commoners' unemployment skyrocketing and the Technocrats' perfectly managed world came falling down. Eventually, the economy was switched over to a robotic-operated one. ~60% of Commoners worked as robot managers (overseeing huge factories or fields of robots), soldiers, or live-human workers (Waiters, lifeguards, party organizers, etc.) The rest were unemployed. All lived in decadence, drug use, and lust. The nation was often described as "One Giant Party."

Why is a military needed in such an "ideal" nation? The Russians, Chinese, Mongolians and Kazakhs in their still habitable territories managed to clump back together into a federation, waiting for the day when they can once again attack. Indeed, they occasionally send over a missile, or a drone, or sponsor some terror group. The rest of the world however, has deteriorated into tribes wandering South India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Africa, Cuba and Haiti.

What is this strange, immoral, futuristic world called?

THE NEW SOCIETY

I really wish there were some maps that showed the united States not giving the Texans everything they wanted, included American claimed territory. It was bad enough in real life.

Map of a Valkyrie Rises over Europe, circa January 1949

You may want to add more colors to India. Is it that dark purple is meant to be Muslims and light purple Hindus? Is so, you may want to change things in the south as that chunk of purple has one of the larger Christian populations, as well as Dravidian Hindus believing in an alternate last incarnation of Vishnu that those of the north. Unless of course the purples show two unified political movements.

Status
Not open for further replies.