Map Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldstein

Banned
What is it with people and merging Israel and Lebanon?

I had a half-assed explanation for that, but now it doesn't sound very convincing to me (not that the scenario is very convincing itself). I'll change that.

My only issue with the map itself? The Persian Gulf alliance... Arabian Gulf Alliance would be better, considering they are all Arabs, not Persians, and there's a rhetoric war between the Saudis and Iran today over the name of it...

True, I'll change that as well.

Made my day ! :D

I'm glad to hear that :)

Last edited:
Here's my finished "Alternate Southern Africa" map, with the 1878 POD of Ernst von Weber getting funding for a German colony on the southern Delagoa Bay, which soon expands up to the Tugela River. Also butterflies, of course. So... Enjoy! Criticism is of course always appreciated.

Nicely done.That pretty much guarantees the survival of the Boers...until and unless a *WWI breaks out!

Is there also an Alberta in Canada? The possibility of confusion amuses me.

Bruce

From 1854 in my A Republic Reborn timeline. Stars are capitols kinda obvious, USA is in Atlanta, FAS is in a newly constructed capitol named Hudson CD (land form some small town on the Hudson was bough up by the Feds for a capitol, CD means Capitol District), and Texas's capitol is in Austin.

Nice, but I'd recommend another font for the words.

Crossposting from my Deviantart account.

Nicely done.

(The sadly horrible truth? Ethnic cleansing/displacement often works in the long run if done thoroughly - ask the Czechs how much trouble they've been having with the Sudetenland Germans lately).

Bruce

I had a half-assed explanation for that, but now it doesn't sound very convincing to me (not that the scenario is very convincing itself). I'll change that.

True, I'll change that as well.

I'm glad to hear that :)

Hey, you did it! Congrats.

I've thought myself that the growth of some sort of popular sufi-type religion among spiritually (and economically) discontented non-Muslims might be one way to get something approaching a "Eurabia" situation in Europe.

Bets are that you're going to get a lot more headaches from comments over at Deviantart...

Bruce

Goldstein

Banned
I'm not 100% on whether I should use diacritic marks in the names Guancheneria and Tahuela, so any Castilian/Spanish speakers who have an opinion on it do feel free to comment.

Notes: provincia federativa, as provincia is female. Castilla del sur, as sur is male. Perlas de Alfonso; using a determinative article with a proper noun is something we informally do often, but it's not adequate... I guess that one is not really important and could be kept as a divergence.

Tahuela doesn't need an accute accent, unless the final A is stressed, which wouldn't sound good. Guancheneria and Guanchenería are pronounced differently, but both work. David doesn't use an accent.

Unless you go for alternate spelling rules, use of acute accent in Castilian is simple. Oxytone words are marked when they end in N, S or a vowel. Paroxytone words are always marked except when they end in N, S or a vowel (Guancheneria) -but they are marked in that case when you need to break a diphthong (Guanchenería). Proparoxytone words are always marked, no exceptions. Preproparoxytone words are always marked, save for modal adverbs created adding the suffix -mente to an adjective, if said adjective doesn't have a mark by itself.

Then there are accents to distinguish homophone words, but that's trickier and I don't want to turn this into a treaty.

Think it's finished.

crazyvic.png

Notes: provincia federativa, as provincia is female. Castilla del sur, as sur is male. Perlas de Alfonso; using a determinative article with a proper noun is something we informally do often, but it's not adequate... I guess that one is not really important and could be kept as a divergence

The first one I sort of feel stupid for missing; all these I was basically using Google Translate for and it was, well I'd been up along time and was'nt totally focused.

Tahuela doesn't need an accute accent, unless the final A is stressed, which wouldn't sound good. Guancheneria and Guanchenería are pronounced differently, but both work. David doesn't use an accent.

Yeah, the stressed part of Tahuela would be the 'hue'; in Guancehria I was'nt sure since the I (as an 'ee') sound is stressed.

In the case of David, he's actually meant to be of Aragonese descent, with the Aragonese labguage having gone through some different developments.

Unless you go for alternate spelling rules, use of acute accent in Castilian is simple. Oxytone words are marked when they end in N, S or a vowel. Paroxytone words are always marked except when they end in N, S or a vowel (Guancheneria) -but they are marked in that case when you need to break a diphthong (Guanchenería). Proparoxytone words are always marked, no exceptions. Preproparoxytone words are always marked, save for modal adverbs created adding the suffix -mente to an adjective, if said adjective doesn't have a mark by itself.

Then there are accents to distinguish homophone words, but that's trickier and I don't want to turn this into a treaty.

I have no idea what any of that means, but ok, I trust you know what you're talking about.

Think it's finished.

Interesting. Super-Portugal (it colonized Brazil, lost Brazil, and then got the best prize of Africa as part of a Pink Map!), Super Russia, many straight lines in Africa, and a Germany which has Bismarck's map of Africa.

And an Ethiopia that is mostly Somali! Seriously, most of "Ethiopia" is in the British Empire in that map. And Super-Japan (is there Philippine unrest?)

And an Ethiopia that is mostly Somali! Seriously, most of "Ethiopia" is in the British Empire in that map.

Isn't the province that contains Ethiopia's capital mostly made up of a semi-separatist ethnic group OTL?

That Ethiopia does look a touch to the east though.

First post ever, please tell me what you think. Suggestions are welcome.

Let me just start with whoever posted a base map with the moon and mars a while back, thank you.

This is a FTL of "short-range" space colonization. The year is 2127, and here's a jist of what's happened.

Worldwide: It has been declared that all non space-fairing nations are to be annexed or conquered by the space-fairing ones.* Solar colonization is to take place the same way the colonization of Africa did- first come, first serve.
Europe: The EU has collapsed when disagreements over management of solar bodies turned for the worse. Many smaller nations have already been taken over, with some still being contested. Notable ones include Latvia(Poland/Russia), Norway(Denmark/Norway), and Switzerland(Switzerland/Germany,France,Italy). Greece is now led by a "Nazi dictator with a twist" instead of Jews, Muslims are the infidels, Turks in particular. Greece, Serbia, and Romania consolidate the Balkans, with Greece continuing into Turkey and Cyprus. Poland-Lithuania Commonwealth Reestablished.

Asia: after the Russian invasion of Kazakhstan, the three larger central Asian powers banded together, with the other two planning on joining. No one really wants to touch Afghanistan, still as unstable as ever. India, Siam(formerly Thailand), and China are bickering over Burma, though this conflict has split into other regions. Full scale war is expected. The Philippines were annexed by the US. a number of small claims have been staked, and the Koreas have unified after a staff purge cause a coup, further destabilizing the state, amid the chaos, South Korea led a UN "peacekeeping" effort. China says they should have led the effort, but have done nothing more than worsen relationships between them and the rest of the world.

Middle East:Persia(formerly Iran) teamed up with India and Arabia to split Pakistan and Iraq, respectively, though relations with the latter have since soured. Turkey is on the brink of collapse after being hemmed in and battered by almost all its neighbors. Greece had completely wiped Turkish influence from its occupied zones, and still has with its new borders. 1/3 of Turkey was treated this way, meaning the Turks now have to guard land that will do nothing for them for the next few years, making it a perfect target for invasion. Arabia has split Syria with the Turks as part of an odd bet- If the Turks controlled Damascus, The borders would be set at the front lines, if not, Arabia Annexes Turkey. Turkeys other neighbors took small pieces as well. Georgia has bits annexed by Russia, and further control is expected. Arabia invades Yemen, UAE, Qatar, and annexes Jordan.

Africa: Colonialism is reborn after Italy invades Libya, France annexes Algeria and declares war on Mali, and Spain declares war on Morocco. Nothing happens past that for a number of years, and most of Africa continues on with its day-to-day life. Only when France makes war out of some island disputes that everything goes mental. The South African Commonwealth(formerly South Africa and Botswana) is formed, which now occupies Zimbabwe, parts of Zambia, and keeps Namibia under its wing. Egypt invades Sudan, causing South Sudan to do the same. Ethiopia Invades Eritrea, Mozambique occupies Malawi, and other countries prepare for the worst.

N. America: The US invades parts of the Caribbean and Mexico, but this is stopped after a Chinese-Mexican alliance forms in the aftermath of the Filipino annexation. Guatemala and Belize(the latter now part of The Union of Guyana) get their cut of Mexico, but some later gets taken back. Panama annexed by the US, causing other C. American countries to unite. European Powers begin to take back some smaller islands.

S. America: Argentina and Brazil are becoming the two main powers, as The Northern three countries fail to see what's coming. France gains larger influence, occupying Suriname. Currently, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Uruguay still exist, due to Argentina and Brazil being pitted against each other as for what to do with them. Guyana, Jamaica, and Belize for the UG.

Oceania: Australia annexes New Zealand, a number of smaller, unimportant, claims are made.

Moon: The moon is divided among the nations, and as of now any conflicts will be kept/dealt with on Earth, as Lunar warfare is an expense no country wants to bear. Spain is currently trying to buy some German exclaves.

Mars: Various nations get a foothold on the red planet, and it is required that all that do so help in the terraforming effort.

*list of space fairing nations:
US
Canada
China
India
Russia
Poland
Germany
Italy
France
Sweden
Denmark
Australia
Japan
Korea
Arabia
Argentina
Brazil

And for those of you that get it; that's right, Poland can into space.

altinterplanetary.png

Status
Not open for further replies.