Map Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to propose we have some changes of the base maps. The pink of the Cayman Islands and some of the British islands by Argentina is always discolored. Same with some in most maps of British India. The internal Soviet borders near Afghanistan. The maritime borders of the Canaries. And of course how all maps involving the Austrian empire seem to keep East Tyrol seperate from the remainder of the region.

I thought Japam would now out when China invades Korea, giving up on the whole imperialism thing as a dead-end. I don't think the Chinese with their manpower would have the naval capacity, focussing on their army.
I was worried about letting the UK lose too much. They lost Gibraltar, Kuwait, Cyprus, Hong Kong and their Central African colonies so I was worried people would complain I was being too harsh on them.

And for good reason. The is no way the Germans could get more than possibly one colony back, as they had been removed by the contingent fairly quickly. That and the Afrikaners not getting the colonies of German South-West and East Africa would tick them off. The Pyranees are also notoriously different to cross.

I like, nicely done: a fine wank. A few questions, quibbles:
Thanks, as you can guess you were a big inspiration for the map. The next one I do will likely not be B_Munroist, but when it comes to making a map of the whole world I find your style to be quite effective.

1. Why is Manchuria (the Qing homeland) a client state and not attached to the Qing puppet state, or, if filled with German, Russian, etc. settlers, not a part of the Empire proper?
The Germans didn't care much about where the Qing came from. They cared more about acquiring their own territory and trying to assert rule over all of China through some proxy (that last part didn't work out). Manchuria itself is still mostly Manchu, but western settlers are becoming more and more plentiful in the region which is definitely causing tension within the protectorate.

2. Does Hungary rule over Bosnia and Serbia as puppets? Because if not, it’s “reward” is smaller than the OTL state was at times.
They don't know that, now do they. They have been larger, but the Mentese took a lot out of them and by the time the Prussians got involves the Mentese had the advantage. And when you have a behemoth breathing down your neck you are quite happy to take any scraps you can get.

3. “Durani Dictatorship?” Does it have an actual name, or were you just phoning that part in? :D
Maybe a little. I couldn't think of a good name and eventually decided to make it simple (really simple). Explained in universe by the Durani regime being Roman classicalist and having no qualms with people knowing exactly what they are.

4. Unless the areas it controls are rather more densely populated than OTL, Vesterrike needs some beefing up to be the dominant source of League manpower.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out. As I said this map is relatively old and has gone through a few revisions. I'll have to fix that. It is more densely populated that OTL Canada for sure, but not to such an extent.

EDIT: Fixed, should hopefully make a bit more sense now.

Last edited:
I wish to propose we have some changes of the base maps. The pink of the Cayman Islands and some of the British islands by Argentina is always discolored. Same with some in most maps of British India. The internal Soviet borders near Afghanistan. The maritime borders of the Canaries. And of course how all maps involving the Austrian empire seem to keep East Tyrol seperate from the remainder of the region.

Depends how old the map is. We've been correcting a lot of those issues over the years, but people just haven't caught on. If you've got specific issues with the borders for the 'Stans and Canary Islands being drawn wrong rather than miscoloured, then bring them up in the basemap thread rather than here as that's where you'll actually get someone to sort out the issue.

This is a WIP. Minor butterflies start around 1 AD, but things really get going when the great recession of the 1920s goes into overtime, the Nazi party fails to materialise, then the Soviet Union rolls over Europe in alt-WW2.

Diesel 1989 v20140212.png

As a follow up to my map, is there an area of that timeline that'd anyone would like me to do another map of? It would be a more local and detailed map.

So what would be interesting? To chart the rise of the Durani? The Prussian expansion into Tartary? The German Wars? I'm open to any suggestions.

As a follow up to my map, is there an area of that timeline that'd anyone would like me to do another map of? It would be a more local and detailed map.

So what would be interesting? To chart the rise of the Durani? The Prussian expansion into Tartary? The German Wars? I'm open to any suggestions.

1) The Middle East.
2) The Germanic Dominated area of the world.

Seraphiel

Banned

Id like to see something on the Teutonic expansion in Russia.

That map does not show what you are talking about. The Maine on your map seems to use the farthest claim by the British and Canadians. Did you mean in the background of your own timeline for the map?

When the American War of Independence ended with the Treaty of Paris ITTL the US lost the parts of Maine they don't have on my map, as well as the portion of the Northwest that is lacking on the map I've posted with my previous post (which mostly is compromised of the Michgian Upper Peninsular). After TTL's War of 1812 they lost the parts of the Northwest they no longer control in the final version of my map (as well as the New england states).

So yes, that map (or rather parts of that map) serve as historical borders in my map's setting.

Heres a map of Mars from the world of the Fascist Cold War that I did just over a week back. While the Fascists were defeated on Earth and the Moon in WWIII, they managed victory over democracy on Mars, and migrations from formerly fascist states have bolstered their populations. What might be difficult to see is the Martian world capitol, Hitlerstadt. It is home to the Martian version of the UN and other international organisations. There is some vague form of world government made easier by the ideological alignment of the planet's states and the dominance of the German government and population.

fascistmars.png

Heres a map of Mars from the world of the Fascist Cold War that I did just over a week back. While the Fascists were defeated on Earth and the Moon in WWIII, they managed victory over democracy on Mars, and migrations from formerly fascist states have bolstered their populations. What might be difficult to see is the Martian world capitol, Hitlerstadt. It is home to the Martian version of the UN and other international organisations. There is some vague form of world government made easier by the ideological alignment of the planet's states and the dominance of the German government and population.

Why does *Romania only control a tiny sliver of land right up the ice cap's asscrack?

dead_wolf

Banned
This is a WIP. Minor butterflies start around 1 AD, but things really get going when the great recession of the 1920s goes into overtime, the Nazi party fails to materialise, then the Soviet Union rolls over Europe in alt-WW2.

I feel like this is an extremely stupid question, but where did you get the base of that? I didn't see anything like that on the Wiki when I asked about blank base maps in this thread a few days ago.

So we've got the map covering the entire world, now. I'm not going to update my signature until I improve it a bit, but posting here for curiosity's sake.

As you can see, it's about the same quality that my original Europe map was. Eugh. I'm working on it.

world.png

Why does *Romania only control a tiny sliver of land right up the ice cap's asscrack?

Unlike Hungary, Croatia or Bulgaria, Romania did not have a space programme directly affiliated with either the German or Italian efforts. Romania's own odd form of fascism required them to carry out the project themselves, and to really make it difficult for themselves. Damnation is the path to paradise. So their territory is comparatively small and inhospitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.