Map Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried my hand at making my own map (well, with the help of a sea-level-riser) and tried to make it look good. It probably looks horrible, of course, but here goes.

Oh, don't knock yourself. I'd like to see a map of the rest of North America!

Bruce

Been a while since I've taken part in one of these (or posted for that matter) but the topic of the map of the fortnight contest caught my interest.

The principle is highly implausible, but I liked the concept of it. I'll keep it concise as well, although if you want specifics then do not be afraid to ask. During the Middle Ages a deadly plague spreads across Eastern Europe, devastating areas of Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and Poland. One of the groups which survived remarkably well were the Teutonic Order and the German settlers of the Baltic, referred to by their history henceforth as the Teutons, who overtime expanded into and (partially)colonized European Russia before moving into Siberia (in this world called Tartary or Tartarei in German). By the mid 1700s the recently unified German Empire (unified largely thanks to the ambitions and superior manpower of the Teutons) stretches from Alsace to the Pacific Ocean. Their last major threat to their dominion over Asia was the Chinese Ming Empire. However, China had recently begun to fall into chaos, as the Ming dynasty collapsed earlier than in our timeline and the lack of a clear heir resulted in a slow decline into anarchy. Those in the courts of the contenders who expressed concern that the northern barbarians were becoming surprisingly and dangerously well armed fell on deaf ears as the pretenders started to court German power in the hopes of securing their own position. Thus, Germany was dragged into the developing quagmire of China, playing court against court and would-be-emperor against would-be-emperor. Over the next century various areas of China came under German protection in a process the British East India Company would be impressed by until, in the 1880s, the last independent Chinese realm, the southern Long Empire, fell to German invasion over accusations of sponsoring partisan activities in the German sphere.

With the fall of the Long the whole of China had come under German rule. This rapidly became too hard to manage as a whole and in response the lawmakers in Konigsberg drafted the Declaration of the Ten "Governates" (a word developed in this timeline), which divided German China into ten smaller regions named after their capital city whose governments were separate from the various vassals and protectorates of the German Far East. The Ten Governates would remain until the 20th century, where growing nationalist uprisings eventually toppled German rule in China and later elsewhere in the vast empire. One remarkable feature of the German Empire was its strong multi-ethnic component. There were never as many German settlers in Tartary than Russians in Siberia, so they made far more extensive use of native populations of both Eastern Europe and Central Asia. In governing China Germans stood in service alongside not only Poles, Ukrainians, Georgians and Russians, but Turkemens, Mongols, Manchurians, Koreans, Kazakhs and even Yakuts as well. It is often said that the German Empire was not so much German as it was Germans sitting on top of the vast ethnic groups under their rule and nowhere was this more apparent than in China.

*STARES IN AWE*

This is amazing!!!!!
;)

You sir, are the god of German wanks.

Oh, don't knock yourself. I'd like to see a map of the rest of North America!

Bruce

I've made it :D (This is the second one because the original one weighs 21 Mo !)

1363715235-amerika.png

swapped_fates_by_kasumigenx-d5ykjgi.png

In this TL the Czechs became heavily Protestant and later Joined Brandenburg as well and joined Germany but the Poles in Silesia joined Poland due to the Support of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth to the Poles in Silesia against the Counter Reformation and aside from that Poland welcomed refugees from Moravia.

No problemo! And you have me thinking: since the Teutonic Knights expansion starts when they are still Catholics, they might pacify their conquered lands by inviting Catholics from all over Europe to keep the Orthodox down, so we have a religious heirarchy orthogonal to the racial one...the conquests of the East might be seen as a crusade against Orthodoxy. (Not sure how badly the Poles would do: OTL, internal communications in Poland in the 14th century were so crappy that they largely missed out on the first wave of the Black Death. In any event, they probably would be a peripheral interest of the east-oriented Teutons, and if depopulated by plague might become Germanized by settlers moving east from the HRE (which is how Silesia and Pomerania were lost OTL).

I wonder about Germany being fully united, especially if there is a religious split due to the *reformation: perhaps in the west there is a Catholic/Protestant solidly _German_ German state following the Other Religious Option and hostile to the heretical and "mongrelized" Teutons. Such a state would be supported and backed by France as a buffer against the Teutons: frankly, it's hard to see France being anything but a puppet of a Teuton empire extending from Alsace to hm, Alaska?

As I said: interesting concept, and I always like it when I inspire people... :)

Bruce
A very interesting idea in regards to the Catholic colonisation of the East. I had not considered a potential religious angle to the expansion which would also help create the ethnic melagne that I envisoined the empire to look like. One of the key thoughts behind this Teutonic Empire was that the Germans never make up as large a portion of the population as the Russians did in our Russian Empire and thus would require to use other peoples more extensively. This would add a whole other layer to things. In regards to the Poles, they weren't as badly affected by the plague as the Russians or Ukrainians. The north and west of Poland were colonised by German settlers (think Prussian Poland at the time of the Third Partition) but they remain in the south and east. Eventually they become one of the most important ethnicities in the empire and come off remarkably well, all things considered.

I like the idea of the empire controlling all of Germany for a few reasons (hardly can have a wanked German without having all Germans in it) but the primary one was the idea that as the 19th and 20th centuries progressed German nationalism would increasingly become a problem. The idea being that they already had a core German state and didn't want to have Slavs, Tartars or Orientals influencing good German government. So your idea is present, albeit used a bit differently. As to whether what would happen...well I haven't thought that far ahead yet.

France has managed to avoid vassalisation so far because of one reason, the Teutons have a really hard time coordinating such a vast empire as a single entity and thus cannot bring the full force of the empire to bear. So while on paper France and its allies would be fighting basically the whole of Eurasia, in practice it would be fighting Germany and it's Eastern European subjects, something that can be beaten with some good old fashioned skill and luck. Not to say the French and Teutons are enemies, France has retreated into isolation to avoid having to fight the Teutons as increasing technology results in the empire being better able to organise itself. Which suits the Teutons just fine, one safe front means they only have to worry about Balkan troubles, Central Asian nomads, unruly Chinese, restless Turks, the delicate situation in Japan etc. Plus, this way they don't have to spend their already stretched resources holding down another very populous and developed country, one is enough really.

How did you go about creating this? And did you do any other part of the world?

Assembling little parts of North American countries' topography, then making the map from here... It is very long to create but the result has a very beautiful aspect.

I'm not going to make other parts of the world, for now :). I'm drawing the border between land and sea, which is very long and boring, then I'll may write an alternate history (in French) with this new geographic context.

I also want to share the real map, the very precise one, but it is impossible to share it via Imageshack. How can I do it ?

[Sorry for my bad english.]

So this is the map that I've been working on after my first attempt at making a decent map of North America for Ivangorod 2.0 was seen as a bit of a disaster (obviously the blank map that I used was rather too large).

It's set in a world where England never became a world spanning empire, and her would-be rivals benefited at her expense. Two out of the three PoDs that I've chosen in this case are:

* The stillborn son of Henry VIII who was born on January 29th, 1536 survives his childbirth and is christened as Prince Richard, later on he became Richard IV. His survival past infancy gave Henry VIII the heir he desperately needed.

* 100 German builders successfully escaped from the port of Lubeck with Hans Schlitte's help due to the port authorities' partying in a local pub. Their oblivious actions allowed the builders to arrive in the port of Ivangorod where Tsar Ivan IV gave them the task of rebuilding what was supposed to be a decent port. With Ivangorod's completion of its reconstruction, Muscovy has managed to enter the Baltic trade a few hundred years earlier.

Unfortunately, Richard IV's heir with Anne of Denmark turned out to be an incompetent ruler, and Alfred of England's fatal mistake of ordering a brutal reprisal against the Irish population after 300 English settlers were killed allowed the Spanish Empire to obtain basing rights in the English Channel with a desperate Irish Kingdom in need of protection against the English occupation. Thus a much more prepared Spanish Navy was able to stop English attempts to reinforce its garrisons in Ireland, resulting in Alfred of England's successor ascending into the throne in England's first elections for a monarch.

With England absent from world affairs and a war torn Europe that has suffered from an indecisive conclusion of the alt-Thirty Years' War (named the Second Hundred Years' War since the real beginning of the conflict started in the 1540s), Spain's American colonies grew at a modest rate, but North America has been surprised by Sweden's expedition to build a new colony. *New Sweden was officially founded as a colony in the Penobscot River, and after hearing of its potential as a starting point for Sweden's entry into the fur trade, the Vasa dynasty decided to invest in its development, and with France distracted by another war against Spain, New France suffered from the shortage of soldiers, combined with the Swedes' successful attempts at allying with the Iroquois, New France was conquered and New Sweden was subsequently renamed to Vinland in honor of the original Norse colony by the same name.

Swedish colonization of North America is similar to how the French colonized it (with the Swedish 'pioneers' trekking inland and intermarrying with indigenous women) but the Swedish Empire now have a surplus of Protestant German refugees to settle in. As Swedish Vinland eventually expanded southwards, Sweden and Spain often clashed in three separate wars which often resulted in more gains for Sweden. At one point the Swedes controlled a portion of South America until they traded it to France in exchange for monetary compensation in the aftermath of the alt-Seven Years' War (named the Six Years' War). Below is the map of North America in the year 1780 on the final stage of an alt-Napoleonic Wars (named the Caesarianist Wars)

At the same time, Russia also expanded in North America as well, even going as far as the Staulo River (OTL Fraser River), but the bulk of North America's uncharted territory is owned by the Great Northern Company (TTL's Hudson Bay Company)

List of cities according to legend:

1 - Fort Fleming, Penobscot, Vinland

2 - Nyavasaborg (OTL Washington, DC)

3 - Nyamalmo (OTL New Orleans, name means 'New Malmo')

4 - Bellingsgard (OTL San Diego, named after Wilhelm Sebastian Von Belling, one of the Swedish pioneers who journeyed into the Pacific coast)

5 - Oxenstierna (OTL Los Angeles, named after either Olaf or Axel Oxenstierna)

So this is the map that I've been working on after my first attempt at making a decent map of North America for Ivangorod 2.0 was seen as a bit of a disaster (obviously the blank map that I used was rather too large). I'll edit this post later on.
So...I'm assuming that green in Portugal, dark gold is Spain, light gold is Russia, dark blue is France and light blue is America. Who's the purple country?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice your post above

So...I'm assuming that green in Portugal, dark gold is Spain, light gold is Russia, dark blue is France and light blue is America. Who's the purple country?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't notice your post above

That's fine. Purple indicates that alt-Hudson Bay Company (Great Northern Company) owns the lands, mirroring the HBC's ownership of Rupert's Land. Light blue is actually Vinland, but as a Swedish colony.

Rosenheim

Donor
Just something I made in Inkscape after a game of Victoria II. Experimenting with different ways of making maps.

Conservatives win in a more minor civil war in the late 1830s, preventing the break up of the Union. Eventually the Conservatives split between Paternalistic Industrialists and Paternalistic Reactionaries which allows for the F.R.C.A. to become an industrialized and modern nation. Strong ties with Britain led to the purchase of the Moskito Coast and Belize in return for extensive trade rights and the ability to build and control a canal through Nicaragua.

Last edited:
Just something I made in Inkscape after a game of Victoria II. Experimenting with different ways of making maps.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/frca1851.png/

Conservatives win in a more minor civil war in the late 1830s, preventing the break up of the Union. Eventually the Conservatives split between Paternalistic Industrialists and Paternalistic Reactionaries which allows for the F.R.C.A. to become an industrialized and modern nation. Strong ties with Britain led to the purchase of the Moskito Coast and Belize in return for extensive trade rights and the ability to build and control a canal through Nicaragua.

Really nice. You don't see maps of Central America that often, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.