Map Thread IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, I was hoping to get a map done before the new Map Thread. Ah well, feast your eyes on a WIP.

Maryland: The Paraguay of North America! I like the sound of that... :D

Anyway, I've got one I've been saving for this occasion. Sort of a sequel to this one.

Three thousand years ago, a few bands of wanderers from the Eurasian steppes made a long trek by way of the Gansu Corridor and came to a land that would never be called China. Over time, others followed those first few adventurers, carving out kingdoms for themselves along the Yellow River. Cities burned, armies clashed, generations lived and died. For centuries they warred with the decaying empire of the Shang, until at last the newcomers gained the upper hand. The first kings and conquerors faded into memory and then into myth as their descendants made this land their home, melding with the inhabitants like tin and copper coming together to make bronze--something new, and stronger than either: Heilan.

The Heilanic people were originally a hybrid culture, an Indo-European stratum overlaid on a mainly Huaxia population. Genetically, the Huaxia won out, although a few features--light eyes, brown or reddish hair--still sometimes appear, particularly in the western regions. Linguistically, the new arrivals dominated, although modern Heilanic dialects have diverged immensely from their Indo-European ancestor (and from each other) thanks to millennia of near-isolation, close contact with Sinitic languages, and plain old linguistic drift. Archeological evidence suggests that the native Shang script remained in use for several centuries after the conquest, but was eventually replaced by a new syllabary better suited to the Heilanic languages.

Historically, the greatest rivals of the Heilanic kingdoms have been the Yuht, to their south. In contrast to the varied agriculture of the Heilanics, the Yuht civilization is primarily based on the intensive cultivation of rice. Unsurprisingly given their long history, there has been a great deal of cultural interchange between the Heilan and the Yuht and a number of the smaller kingdoms along the Huai and Yangtze Rivers show the influence of both groups.

To the north and west of the Heilanic kingdoms are the domains of the various nomadic tribes. These tend to be rather ephemeral, but at times their influence has covered much or all of the Heilanic zone. Currently the Tuvans are the most powerful and organized of them. The kingdoms of the Korean peninsula have generally maintained an independent identity; at the moment the mainland kingdom is under some pressure from its Heilanic neighbor to the north. They share the Japanese islands with a number of Ainu states, which have had intermittent contact with the Heilanic states of the mainland since roughly 500 BC.

Technologically, Asia is in somewhat ahead of our timeline's 1500 AD. Gunpowder is known and used, mostly in the form of cannon and matchlock muskets, but bow-armed light horsemen and heavy cavalry are still found in many armies, particularly in the north and west, in a manner reminiscent of 17th century Poland or Russia. Water power is widely used where applicable; a few primitive steam engines are being used in coal mines. Some forms of printing have been in use for centuries, but movable type has not been widely adopted. Naval technology is also more advanced, though the Yuht and the Ainu are the forerunners in those areas.

Contact with the rest of the world varies. Trade networks connect much of the west Pacific and Indian Oceans. India and Persia are often heard of, but rarely visited. The Kingdom of Lat in the distant west is a mere legend of a place where the streets are paved with jade but granite is worth its weight in gold. These stories, together with tales from the Yuht countries about a vast new continent to the south, have sparked an era of exploration, though one somewhat more cautious and so far less rewarding than our worlds'. A few outposts are maintained along the western coast of North America, but for those who want to live a endless forest full of unhappy natives, Siberia is much closer. The rich kingdoms of the south have been weakened by disease, but are still too far away for any potential conquistadors. Traders from the West Coast colonies do visit occasionally, offering silk and iron for chilis, chocolate, and precious metals.

As for what will happen next, only time will tell...

And here's the map:

Wow. Great looking map. How did you get the parchment effect?

And now, a map of my own i thought was good until Kaiphranos decided to one up me...:mad::D

An update of my post-apocalyptic map. All critiques, comments, and recommendations are welcome.

post-apocalypse 300 years v5.png

So close, and yet so far. Oh, well. (In case it's not apparent: Red=Shu, Green=Kao, and Grey=Choi)
The Lesser Sea has long been an area of conflict. After the collapse of the Yuan, the many states of China began a long process of unification, and this region was no exception. What is interesting, however, is how well the three states managed to conduct themselves during this time period, sowing seeds for their 16th century expansions.

After the Collapse, the Shu family, rulers of a small area of northeast China, managed to solidify their various holdings under the First Shu Emperor, Lao Shu. Lao Shu, managed an aggressive building and expansion campain, creating the powerful military state that bears his family's name.

In Manchuria, the Kao family tried a different tack. After inheriting their more militarily powerful neighbors, they had a simple time annexing the rest. Emperor Yu Kao's state produced some of the greatest cultural achievements of the post-Collapse period, including a new style of painting similar to the oil paints of Western Europe.

Finally, the Korean Choi dynasty, led by Emperor Sun Choi, managed to annex the vast majority of the Korean peninsula without bloodshed. Under him, some of the seminal works of Korean literature and poetry were made, and he began the Korean Merchant Fleet, which would later serve in his successor's invasion of Nippon and the Yangtze delta.

By 1365, what would become the Three Empires had their foundations well under them.​

ThreeEmpiresoftheLesserSea.png

And now, a map of my own i thought was good until Kaiphranos decided to one up me...:mad::D

An update of my post-apocalyptic map. All critiques, comments, and recommendations are welcome.

Quick question, are the black areas actually uninhabitable or just believed to be?

I tried posting this in the last Map Thread, but I didn't get any responses:

You know how in the UCS, when Country A is de-facto controlled by Country B, the map shows Country B's colour with an outline of Country A's? How exactly do I do that without manually making the border? I saw a tutorial somewhere and I forgot where it was.

That's a good map. Not amazing, but as it's among your first, you clearly show a lot of promise.

And here's the map:
That is a pretty fine map.

Something I've been working on. The basemap was copied from one EdT likes to use (it was too good to only let you have it!) tried to make it look like something from a sober book about the atrocities.
atrocities_commtied_by_the_white_wyrm_1967_1981_by_ammonoidea-d4jrzxk.png

The marvels of GIMP, my dear boy! One can find various textures online and put one of them as the bottom layer of an image. If you haven't heard of GIMP, you should give it a shot--the learning curve is a bit steep, but the program is free. (Other people swear by Inkscape, but my computer doesn't like it.)

So close, and yet so far. Oh, well. (In case it's not apparent: Red=Shu, Green=Kao, and Grey=Choi)

For some reason that geographical area looks very familiar right now... :p

I tried posting this in the last Map Thread, but I didn't get any responses:

In Paint or its relatives, I think you're stuck doing it by hand. In GIMP, you could fill a region with the outside color, "select by color" on the region "shrink selection" by a few pixels, and then fill the shrunken selection with your inside color...

Quick question, are the black areas actually uninhabitable or just believed to be?

Just believed to be uninhabitable.

That's a good map. Not amazing, but as it's among your first, you clearly show a lot of promise.

Well thank you sir:D

The marvels of GIMP, my dear boy! One can find various textures online and put one of them as the bottom layer of an image. If you haven't heard of GIMP, you should give it a shot--the learning curve is a bit steep, but the program is free. (Other people swear by Inkscape, but my computer doesn't like it.)

I'll have to try it out because if it allows a person to make a map like yours, it must be a damn good program.

I prefer making it the top layer and changing it to Multiplicate ...

Based on my first Slavic Italy map from the previous map thread this that world 7oo years later. It is 1200 AD and while the Roman Empire rules the Mediterranean the Empire has been fractured. Civil War resulted in the loss of Egypt in 1155. The loss of Egypt was a blow to the empire, but not a fatal one thanks to imperial dominance of the Balkans, Italy, Anatolia, Iberia, and North Africa. The Empire barely retained Syria with its largely Monophysite population; still the loss of the Holy Land has hurt imperial moral. Iberia is still largely broken up into a number of smaller states, the smallest states playing Lusitania, Leon, and Rome off of each other to retain their independence. The Bulgarian Empire is a constant annoyance to its northern neighbors England and Francia and threatens Brittany routinely, launching raids, but never really doing a lot more than that. The Bulgars have lost their Turkic tongue and now speak a Romantic language. The Slavic states of Northern Italy are a lot like OTL Slovenia and are fairly romanized, even using the western alphabet. Lombardy has become a vassal of the Roman Empire and is protected from the Slavs by the Empire. Croatia is the largest of the Slavic Italian states, but its position is always being challenged by Serbia.

After the loss of Southern France the Franks were in a bad way, but a Charles Martel like figure rose to power and reclaimed Frankish glory by conquering Germany. With a lot of Franks leaving Bulgaria they relocated to the west and have pretty much Frankified and Christianized Germany. The region is united under the moniker the Kingdom of Francia, Bohemia, and Bavaria.

The combination of Frankish movement west and the lack of a greater Slavic state in Eastern Europe led to the migration of the Polanes people farther south into what would in OTL be known as Hungary. Here it is Polavia, a Slavic Kingdom that is very different from the Slavic states of Italy as it uses a Cyrillic-like alphabet developed by a Greek Orthodox priest. Because the Poles moved south the Lithuanians and Prussians did as well. The two fairly Frankified states are bulwarks against the Magyar Khaganate, who a have settled down a lot compared to what they were like then they first entered Eastern Europe.
The Volga Bulgars didn’t travel across Europe like their cousins and instead have set up shop in Northern Russia as the Bulgarian Khaganate. Few people confuse the two because they have become so different and because they are so far away from each other.

Persia has gotten rid of the Arab yoke, but was still islamified (or maybe it’s the other way around). The Caliphate rules from Baghdad, and though its power has weakened is still a threat to the Roman Empire, Aegypt, and Persia. The Caliphate has launched several attacks against Aegypt, but has been turned back every time either by the Aegyptians themselves of the Romans aiding the Aegyptians.

The states West Africa are mostly Orthodox Christians, but there are Coptic and Monophysite Christian states as well. Because of the lack of the Islamic conquest of North Africa there isn’t a significant Islamic population in West Africa.

Slavic Italy 1200.png

That is a pretty fine map.

Thanks! Yours is quite chilling. I'm curious about the story behind it... no-holds-barred war with Germany and/or a fascist takeover, it looks like?

I prefer making it the top layer and changing it to Multiplicate ...

I see that works as well; I'd never tried that before. Does some different things with the colors, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.