Map Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.
man in high castle map

HighCastle.png

Thande

Donor
man in high castle map

Very cool, especially the drained Mediterranean. The Rocky Mountain zone seems a bit big... what about the Slavic Reserve east of the Urals, and shouldn't Africa be completely destroyed as described in the book, with just a few German colonies around the edges?

Very cool, especially the drained Mediterranean. The Rocky Mountain zone seems a bit big... what about the Slavic Reserve east of the Urals, and shouldn't Africa be completely destroyed as described in the book, with just a few German colonies around the edges?

I dunno, you could also consider this one of my [Insert_Generic_Nazi_Victory_Map_Here] map that my blank maps are labeled as.

Thande

Donor
I dunno, you could also consider this one of my [Insert_Generic_Nazi_Victory_Map_Here] map that my blank maps are labeled as.

Ah, but TMITHC is far from a generic Nazi victory. It was written in 1962, and early Sixties ideas informed it: it has all the wonder and grandeur of that period, but turned up by Nazi ruthlessness (rocket planes go from Berlin to LA in 45 minutes, the Mediterranean is drained) and similarly large-scale horror, like the destruction of Britain and Africa. Modern-written Nazi victories are far less vivid - Turtledove's In the Presence of Mine Enemies renders a shabby Nazi world not unlike the Soviet Union in more ways than the obvious political parallels.

Ah, but TMITHC is far from a generic Nazi victory. It was written in 1962, and early Sixties ideas informed it: it has all the wonder and grandeur of that period, but turned up by Nazi ruthlessness (rocket planes go from Berlin to LA in 45 minutes, the Mediterranean is drained) and similarly large-scale horror, like the destruction of Britain and Africa. Modern-written Nazi victories are far less vivid - Turtledove's In the Presence of Mine Enemies renders a shabby Nazi world not unlike the Soviet Union in more ways than the obvious political parallels.

Speaking of Turtledove, it'd be interesting to see a "Man in the High Castle"-esque map for TL-191; only showing a world dominated by the Freedom Party-ruled CSA.

Thande

Donor
Speaking of Turtledove, it'd be interesting to see a "Man in the High Castle"-esque map for TL-191; only showing a world dominated by the Freedom Party-ruled CSA.

Nah, the CSA doesn't have the (dark) grandeur of the Nazis' plans for remaking the world. All Featherston wants to do is kill the blacks and 'settle accounts' with the USA, not global conquest and everything. In TL-191 they can't even build the Panama Canal, never mind drain the Mediterranean.

Status
Not open for further replies.