Map Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad people like the map- I have one of the Americas in the pipeline, and then one of Europe.

Wow, scarily close but not quite! Actually, the PoD is that Robert dies in 1077 and butterflies away Richard's hunting accident, giving us Duke William Rufus of Normandy and King Richard I of England on William I's death. Add in 600 years of divergence and things have got rather divorced from OTL in many respects...

France is actually a major power, it's just evolved very differently to OTL; the French King is also the King of Aragon and his capital is Toulouse. As for Flanders, Britain has been able to play Burgundy off against France for generations; one of the catalysts for the events in the story I'm writing is this policy becoming untenable.

Yup! Wales is one of the five Kingdoms that comprise the Empire. Paris is a Burgundian garrison town, and as mentioned aove the French King's capital is Toulouse.

Glad you like it. The story is essentially going to be about what happens when the British Emperor runs out of money to pay for his overseas wars and tries to extort funds out of an unwilling Parliament... essentially I wanted to do something with some of the themes of the 17th century (lunatic religion, political upheaval, plotting cardinals etc) but with more freedom to manouvre, characters of my own etc. I've got the basic plot sorted out, at present I'm concentrating on fleshing out the setting hence the maps.
Another question: Is Britian protestant or Catholic, or was the Rformation butterflied away?

Another question: Is Britian protestant or Catholic, or was the Reformation butterflied away?

Butterflied... ITTL the Pope sees Britain as a counterweight to the HRE (hence the British Empire, which comes about via a friendly Pope invoking the principle of translatio imperii to piss off the Germans). One consequence of this is that in the 13th century the Pope flees to Britain, and by the 17th there are three competing Papacies, one in London, one in Salzburg and one in Santiago.

None of which is to say that there isn't severe religious strife, it's just that it's a little different to OTL's in many respects. Although in Britain, you still have the problem of an established church being increasingly rejected by *Puritans...

Why Santiago?

And why isn't there one in Rome?

One of the Popes is in Santiago because it's one of the holiest places in Christendom and the Curia there is a puppet of the Leonese King.

As for the lack of a Pope in Rome, that's because the German Emperor decided to keep his tame Pontiff somewhere closer to hand then Italy. It's generally held that the papacy will only return to Rome in the reign of Petrus Romanus, although the origin of this myth is probably Imperial propaganda of the 13th century.

Wow, scarily close but not quite! Actually, the PoD is that Robert dies in 1077 and butterflies away Richard's hunting accident, giving us Duke William Rufus of Normandy and King Richard I of England on William I's death. Add in 600 years of divergence and things have got rather divorced from OTL in many respects....
Then it probably simular to my On a Tall White Ship were the son of Henry I, William Adelin, doesn't die in the white ship accident. There is a link in my signature. If you need any help I'd be a willing researcher on the time period for you. I'm guessing that the Powerful Dukes of Aquaitaine are the ones the seize control of France fro your depictions below. From what I've read of the timeperiod the Normans had unrivaled power during that period of time, and if Louis the Fat and Phillip Augustus fialed to set the series of events that they had that the Capets would just return to being the Dukes of Paris, and unable to control the destiny of the French speaking areas.

On page 294 of the original Map Thread you posted a map of Rice and Salt Europe.

What fonts did you use?

I think it's MA Cursiv/ Gothic/ German Letters but at this point, I'm not really too sure.

Try look through fonts.com

I'm looking for a large US map with state borders and as much rivers as possible, and with as little other clutter as possible. I'm trying to draw up alternate states with the major POD being a Franco-American war 1801-1803, and it's really hard to do with out rivers on the map.

Then it probably simular to my On a Tall White Ship were the son of Henry I, William Adelin, doesn't die in the white ship accident. There is a link in my signature. If you need any help I'd be a willing researcher on the time period for you.

Thanks, that's really kind of you! I'm intending to focus on the 1600s at present, but I may at some point return to flesh things out earlier on ITTL's history. If things go well I definitely have plans for a prequel telling the tale of the *Conquistadores...

I'm guessing that the Powerful Dukes of Aquaitaine are the ones the seize control of France fro your depictions below.

Yeah, that was pretty much what I had in mind.

Third map in my series, this time it's the situation in the Americas c. 1625...

America-1620.jpg

Very good map! So only areas around the Caribean have been explored?

Why haven't the Incas been conquered?

Other areas have been explored, but the map shows where the British colonies are more or less. There is also a European presence further north in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia and settlements in Brazil, but they're out of the scope for the map. As for the Incas, they haven't been conquered because the British are just as happy to trade with them; ITTL Mexico only got conquered because of an over-ambitious explorer disobeying orders (rather like Cortes in fact), and generally at this point in time the emphasis is on trade and influence rather then outright conquest.

One of the Popes is in Santiago because it's one of the holiest places in Christendom and the Curia there is a puppet of the Leonese King.

As for the lack of a Pope in Rome, that's because the German Emperor decided to keep his tame Pontiff somewhere closer to hand then Italy. It's generally held that the papacy will only return to Rome in the reign of Petrus Romanus, although the origin of this myth is probably Imperial propaganda of the 13th century.

This seems like a very intriguing TL. I hope to read it in full:)

i never said that the key was complete. i added ones that i felt needed to be added.
which, in turn, leads to my Native American color. the color is similar to the skin color of the Comanche (rascist but wth, i'm part Navajo) and in another of my maps... posted much much earlier, the color had a major role.

i never said that the key was complete. i added ones that i felt needed to be added.
which, in turn, leads to my Native American color. the color is similar to the skin color of the Comanche (rascist but wth, i'm part Navajo) and in another of my maps... posted much much earlier, the color had a major role.
But what nation would it represent? Native Americans are not all one state.

Status
Not open for further replies.