Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

I'm no map-maker, but my recent collaboration with Gryphon has me wondering: has there been a map topic that was specifically about inverting common AH tropes? Like a map of the CSA... that's actually an enlightened liberal democracy, or a Germany where the Nazis take power... and then never invade anyone? Maybe that's a little too nebulous, but I was curious.

Krall

Banned
Here's a roundel idea for Seasons of Discontent...

Quartered.

Top-Left: Spring. Floods and water everywhere.
Top-Right: Summer. Droughts and no water anywhere.
Bottom-Left: Autumn. ???? Maybe bad harvest and people's starving?
Bottom-Right: Winter. High snowfall, covering everything.

Or you could do it in the "bipolar" way, Summer and Winter only...

Top-Left: Summer. Droughts and no water anywhere.
Bottom-Right: Winter. High snowfall, covering everything.

I hadn't actually thought about what a roundel for Seasons of Discontent would look like, but something like that seems reasonable, unless I can find a easily identifiable and very relevant specific example I could use instead.

I'm no map-maker, but my recent collaboration with Gryphon has me wondering: has there been a map topic that was specifically about inverting common AH tropes? Like a map of the CSA... that's actually an enlightened liberal democracy, or a Germany where the Nazis take power... and then never invade anyone? Maybe that's a little too nebulous, but I was curious.

I think there was one challenge that was "Make a map of a heavily overdone AH topic". No specific inversion, but I think that was the intention - for people to do an unusual take on an otherwise bland trope. I wasn't much of a fan of it, but that doesn't mean I won't run it if it's popular. :)

I hadn't actually thought about what a roundel for Seasons of Discontent would look like, but something like that seems reasonable, unless I can find a easily identifiable and very relevant specific example I could use instead.
If you browse "Berlin unter Wasser" (Berlin under water), you can find a picture of Berlin TV Tower amidst of nothing but water. I actually thought of taking Berlin as a scenario in this round because more apocalyptic scenarios of global warming (as in Antarctica unfreezes in its entirety) may actually see the Berlin glacial valley drown whereas the neighbouring Barnim (northeast) and Teltow (southwest) plateaus may be spared.

I have an idea for The Locked Country: Whether it's your Jammu-Kashmir or Switzerland or Nepal or Bhutan... Tibet is called "the roof of the world", for god's sake. You'd essentially make a big-ass mountain and put the Potala Palace (former seat of the Dalai Lama in Lhasa, Tibet) on top of it. How you display the "lock" I have no idea, but gravity should be locking enough.

Maps In The Mirror: We see Nazi Germany (incl. General Government) from the backside as it looks into the mirror and sees itself as merely West Germany. A more humble approach would be the UNO Reverse Card.

The Weak Suffer What They Must: You remember my German refugee stamp.

Mind The Gap: Look at my profile, I've done a medal for myself in the mean.

Sunshine And Lollipops: Teletubbies landscape with a laughing sun.

The Last Straw: Either a powder keg whose ignition is already burning or a self-immolating man.

Diaspora: Dude, where's my bonsai tree?

Centenary: Make a decimal clock face with Roman numerals, I to X for the "hours" and X to C for the "minutes". The hands should look like one o'clock.

The Dust Has Settled: Run-off-a-mill before-and-after scenario.

Ab Urbe Condita and Greener Pastures: You have a golden milestone and a stork in your nest. Move on!

An idea I had for a challenge:

A Nation divided
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states (e.g. Germany, Korea, Ireland, Vietnam
etc...).

There were two possible riders to that challenge I came up with, either
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states by an outside power.
or
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states with different systems of government.

I quite like the idea of the second one, but I thought it would be best to present the more general one at first. I'd also consider allowing two separate maps from the point of view of either country.

Also the aim (perhaps the wording could be better) is that it was a unified nation before being split. Places like pre-unification Italy wouldn't count, but a modern Italy after Padanian independence could. It also gets tricky about how you define a nation, the intention is that spiting (say) England and Scotland in OTL wouldn't count because they're traditionally considered separate 'nations' already.

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
An idea I had for a challenge:

A Nation divided
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states (e.g. Germany, Korea, Ireland, Vietnam
etc...).

There were two possible riders to that challenge I came up with, either
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states by an outside power.
or
Make a map of one 'nation' that is divided into separate independent states with different systems of government.

I quite like the idea of the second one, but I thought it would be best to present the more general one at first. I'd also consider allowing two separate maps from the point of view of either country.

Also the aim (perhaps the wording could be better) is that it was a unified nation before being split. Places like pre-unification Italy wouldn't count, but a modern Italy after Padanian independence could. It also gets tricky about how you define a nation, the intention is that spiting (say) England and Scotland in OTL wouldn't count because they're traditionally considered separate 'nations' already.

I like this idea, but the definitions would be rather tricky. I'd like things like the partition of India to count, but that was based on the idea that Muslims and Hindus were two separate "nations", which might make it not count in the same way that Scotland gaining independence from Britain wouldn't. Similarly I'd like North and South Korea to count - they're generally regarded as a single "nation", but they weren't a united country before their division.

Maybe we could have it be an "and/or" thing? Like, the "nation" must be an ethnic community (like Germans or Koreans) and/or have been a single sovereign entity at some point prior to its division (like India/Pakistan)?

I like this idea, but the definitions would be rather tricky. I'd like things like the partition of India to count, but that was based on the idea that Muslims and Hindus were two separate "nations", which might make it not count in the same way that Scotland gaining independence from Britain wouldn't. Similarly I'd like North and South Korea to count - they're generally regarded as a single "nation", but they weren't a united country before their division.

Maybe we could have it be an "and/or" thing? Like, the "nation" must be an ethnic community (like Germans or Koreans) and/or have been a single sovereign entity at some point prior to its division (like India/Pakistan)?

For India/Pakistan former colonial nation thing would work
Here is a part of challenge text that would add religion: Make a map showing .............. that has been separated by political ideology (different systems of government) or religion.

That could make sense, the intention was to avoid more 'natural' Societ/Yugoslav-type splits. I'd say Indian partition would count though, since in terms of nationality there wasn't really a division between Indian/Pakistani beforehand, they were all just citizens of the Indian Empire.

Krall

Banned
Can someone show an example of arbitrary colonial borders?

As Dr. Nodelescu the straight lines in African colonies are a good example, or the division of the New World between Portugal and Spain by the Treaty of Tordesillas. A colonial border that's partially arbitrary (e.g. following a geographical boundary, like a river, but randomly dividing native communities and ethnicities) would count for "Natives? What Natives" too.

That could make sense, the intention was to avoid more 'natural' Societ/Yugoslav-type splits. I'd say Indian partition would count though, since in terms of nationality there wasn't really a division between Indian/Pakistani beforehand, they were all just citizens of the Indian Empire.
Look for Africa in general and the Sahara in particular.

About the A Nation Divided scenario, the description could be

Make a map showing a formerly united political entity that has been separated due to factors other than ethnic or tribal.

Hmm, I dunno that might be a bit too vague. I mean, technically former colonial empire that released their colonises as independent states might count, since former colonies were rarely formed around ethnic communities. Maybe we should just stick with a "nation", in the sense of an ethnic community, divided into multiple independent states. That wouldn't include things like the partition of India or Ireland, but it sets a pretty strong boundary that couldn't be vaguely interpreted to apply to almost any break-up of a state.

Krall

Banned
So, who's planning to enter MotF 108? It's relatively late in the entry period and we haven't had any entries yet!

Also, what challenges would people like to see for MotF 109? Feel free to post any new suggestion ideas you have, or repost old ones you like from in this thread or the list on the Wiki. :)

So, who's planning to enter MotF 108? It's relatively late in the entry period and we haven't had any entries yet!

Argh! Have something that I'm working on, but a thousand other commitments (homeworks, people I've got to meet, a Christmas card I'm working on), keeps interfering. Could you extend the deadline by a week that I may finish my Mediterranean Baltic?

Argh! Have something that I'm working on, but a thousand other commitments (homeworks, people I've got to meet, a Christmas card I'm working on), keeps interfering. Could you extend the deadline by a week that I may finish my Mediterranean Baltic?

You're actually doing that?

*nerdgasms*

Krall

Banned

Well, no one else has entered/stated that they'll be able to enter before this Sunday, so I think an extension is very likely at this point. I think that would make the current round the last one for this year - although another round wouldn't overlap with Christmas, it would come quite close and I doubt we'd get many entries.

Well, no one else has entered/stated that they'll be able to enter before this Sunday, so I think an extension is very likely at this point. I think that would make the current round the last one for this year - although another round wouldn't overlap with Christmas, it would come quite close and I doubt we'd get many entries.

Please do this. The Map Truel and the final delivery of Map Duel IV will more than fill the December on their own.

I got an own idea for The Map Truel as well:
X Meets Y
Make a map of a scenario fitting the provisions of two previous challenges.

Washington Who?
Depict a scenario in which one person that played a major role doesn't exist or is otherwise eliminated from doing what they did.

From the West
Depict the western Americas being colonized by Asian countries.

ISOT Your Attention
Show how the world is affected when either people or country(ies) are ISOTed back in time.

Krall

Banned
Considering the total lack of entries at this late date, I am extending the entry period for MotF 108 for a week.

MotF 108: Seasons of Discontent has been extended. The entry period shall now end when the voting thread is posted on Sunday the 7th of December.

"The Localized Wars" (if anyone can think of a more Krall-y, poetical-sounding name, feel free.)

Make a map showing multiple, separate conflicts taking place in the same region - the opposite of a single world war - or their effects. The conflicts don't need to take place in complete political isolation, but they should be "separable" from each other. An example might be the European conflicts of 1848.

Thande's Popular Wars are the sort of thing I am thinking of.