Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

EDIT: About a roundel for Mind The Gap, this thing happened in Stockholm Metro twenty years ago. I'm still a big fan of them.
This looks a bit like a long lost daughter you desperately want to hug.

I don't see how that'd make a good roundel. Plus, it's completely unrealistic - that's the first time I've seen anyone in Kungsträdgården station other than myself.

Or this here:

That's certainly fun, but it's an advertisement. Putting brands in a roundel is problemativ for obvious reasons, and without the "IN AN ABSOLUT WORLD" it's just a subway exit, which is good but not very imaginative.

Krall

Banned
Hmm, I'd like an extension too, as I have an idea for an entry but have been too busy to start work on it yet. So, that makes two people who need an extension and two people who would like an extension.

I know we've already got the requisite four entries, but four more entries is nothing to be sniffed at. Would anyone mind if I extended this round (regardless of whether or not you're thinking of or planning on entering)?

That's a difficult decision.
A secure landslide or a real competition? Though Alex Richards sounds so, ahem, humble nowadays. I don't recognize him anymore, are you OK?
Oh, I changed my entry a little again. But now I have to be done. Some typos were eliminated, the water was put back into place, another GDR fantasy added and the actual object of desire has gained more prominence again. It's actually all about this special kind of U10 because the rest is much too OTL.

I know we've already got the requisite four entries, but four more entries is nothing to be sniffed at. Would anyone mind if I extended this round (regardless of whether or not you're thinking of or planning on entering)?

I actually started a map, but then got busy. Alas, I have plans for this weekend, and won't be able to finish before the round closes. An extension would be greatly appreciated.

That's a difficult decision.
A secure landslide or a real competition? Though Alex Richards sounds so, ahem, humble nowadays. I don't recognize him anymore, are you OK?
Oh, I changed my entry a little again. But now I have to be done. Some typos were eliminated, the water was put back into place, another GDR fantasy added and the actual object of desire has gained more prominence again. It's actually all about this special kind of U10 because the rest is much too OTL.

Well, this is very much not my forte, and I've not got as much time as usual.

Krall

Banned
Alright, since there are no objections to an extension and we've got several people who need/would like one, I will be extending this round. :)

MotF 104: Mind the Gap has been extended. The entry period shall now end when the voting thread is posted on Sunday the 28th of September.

Nice to hear. I hope I didn't kill the competition. Oh Krall, I've found the perfect Golden Milestone and just couldn't resist. Though I hardly think that you would adopt this design, you should look at some details.

The cities are Paris (Lutetia), Tarente in Apulia (Tarentum), Augsburg in Germany (Augusta Vindoculerium) and Split in Croatia (Spalatum). A destination for each direction. I actually googled the automotive distance of said cities to modern Rome and recounted them into Roman miles. For Paris, I went via Marseille (Massilis), though, considering the Alps to be a pain in the ass to cross back then.

Golden Milestone.png

Krall

Banned
Nice to hear. I hope I didn't kill the competition. Oh Krall, I've found the perfect Golden Milestone and just couldn't resist. Though I hardly think that you would adopt this design, you should look at some details.

The cities are Paris (Lutetia), Tarente in Apulia (Tarentum), Augsburg in Germany (Augusta Vindoculerium) and Split in Croatia (Spalatum). A destination for each direction. I actually googled the automotive distance of said cities to modern Rome and recounted them into Roman miles. For Paris, I went via Marseille (Massilis), though, considering the Alps to be a pain in the ass to cross back then.

Ah, not bad. There's not really a lot of detail or aethetically pleasing bits beyond the Milestone itself, though I appreciate the amount of thought you put into it!

Where did you find the image of the Golden Milestone?

I'll try to categorize the entries at Mind The Gap:

Legend:
Modern POD = After oil crisis and/or end of decolonization (1970s)
Parochial location = close to author's home
National = has at least some links to the country, but needn't live at shown place
Semi-exotic location = far away and foreign to the author, but culturally proximate and sufficiently urban
Exotic location = Huntington would say that any self-respecting fellow of your kind wouldn't set a foot there.

Entries so far:
Xibalba: Modern POD, parochial, interurban LRT.
Jonathan Edelstein: Decolonization POD, exotic, full metro.
Dr. Nodelescu: Modern POD, national, full metro.
King Alvar I: 19th Century POD, parochial/national, full metro.
islander: Late 18th Century POD, semi-exotic, full metro.
Pischinovski: Pre-WWI POD, national, urban commuter rail.
lock: Modern POD, parochial, LRT.
psephos: Uh, well. Early 18th Century POD, possibly national, full metro.

Announced (or loudly thought) entries:
Alex Richards: Modern POD, parochial, LRT.
Ares96: POD approx. 1850-1950, national, full metro.
Reagant: POD whenever, semi-exotic, full metro or at least LRT.

Suffice to say: This is a topic where people like to stay close to home and I can't blame anybody for this.

Suffice to say: This is a topic where people like to stay close to home and I can't blame anybody for this.

It's not too surprising, to work on something like a metro system you need a pretty good local knowledge. That's sort of why I haven't entered - there aren't really any cities I know well enough to do a good job with.

It's not too surprising, to work on something like a metro system you need a pretty good local knowledge. That's sort of why I haven't entered - there aren't really any cities I know well enough to do a good job with.

Yeah, I mean even with Nottingham, which I know about half of the greater Urban area relatively well, it's taken on average a day's work of research for my new lines to work out the best route and stop locations, and even then I'm not certain on a few of them.

Well with this challenge I thought that Tallinn should have metro so I decided let's make a map about it.

I already know what place I will get but still I got little more of Estonia in AH.com.

Krall

Banned
Yeah, I mean even with Nottingham, which I know about half of the greater Urban area relatively well, it's taken on average a day's work of research for my new lines to work out the best route and stop locations, and even then I'm not certain on a few of them.

This is partially why I haven't started my entry yet - though most of the city I plan to do doesn't exist in OTL (specifically the Darulaman-Kabul Metropolis from this map), I still don't really know where to start. I don't know what places would/should be on a metro system (beyond residential areas and industrial/commercial areas, so people can commute to work), what issues there might be with tunneling in some areas, how much of it should be above ground or underground, how Darulaman being mostly planned and Kabul being mostly unplanned would affect it, etc. etc.

If anyone knows about some/all of these issues and is willing to help I'd very much appreciate it. :eek:

Anyway, we've got four or five days left until the end of MotF 104, so we really ought to resume discussing which challenges we'd like to see for MotF 105! Feel free to resuggest old challenges from this thread or the Wiki (including already used challenges, if they were run a year or more ago), or suggest new challenges if you can think of any. :)

Exotic location = Huntington would say that any self-respecting fellow of your kind wouldn't set a foot there.

Huntington can say what he wants. I've been there, and it's worth a visit (although, like pretty much anywhere in Africa, it helps if you know someone).

Although with an early enough POD and a late-developing city, you can make up quite a bit. At the time of my POD, Kinshasa's population was under half a million and Brazzaville's about 250,000, and many of the modern landmarks weren't yet built. Much of the cities' expansion was dictated by terrain, so there's some convergence and it's important to know the basic physical geography, but I had a lot of freedom to place public buildings and outlying neighborhoods.

It also helped that the ATL Kinshasa-Brazzaville metro was mostly an above-ground system, so I could follow the routes where roads were built IOTL and didn't have to worry too much about tunneling issues.