Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
Oh bother - I forgot about uploading the new threads until now, so I'm afraid they'll be uploaded sometime on Monday. Sorry for the delay! :eek:

Krall

Banned
For The Dust Has Settled, do we have to show an entire continent, or could we show part of it?

I'm not sure - "part of a continent" could be literally any area of land, I think it needs to be a large area of land. It doesn't have to be an OTL continent, but it has to be a large region, like West Africa, the Indian subcontinent, etc.

If you tell me what area you're thinking of showing then I'll be able to give you a yes/no answer. :)

I didn't even know that The Centenary were up for debate.

Put it this way, following on from the numeric theme of MOTF50 (which I consider very fitting), about the only option I can think of which might fit would be something along the lines of:

100 years of Solitude

Show the effects of a nation being opened to the outside world after a century of diplomatic isolation

but frankly that feels rather limiting (and quite possibly dull) in and of itself and can just as easily be done under the broader topic of The Centenary so it seems rather moot to offer it as an alternative.

I was actually surprised that MotF 99 didn't become "99 Luftballons".
On the other hand, The Dust Has Settled aka Before And After also offers room for this specific want-of-a-nail scenario, but not quite the whole package.

OK, the 13/7/93 incident at the end of the Chaos TL (think 9/11 in China, but leading to World War III in a matter of seven days) is anything but a benign threat, but it fits the bill of the song-style escalation ladder.

I also like to remind to the Spasm in the Viva California TL from Wikia (for want of Zac Taylor et al. the war vs. Mexico is lost) and that would've been the most excellent example for explaining a scenario that fits both the running MotF 99 and the original 99-balloon idea. I succesfully called the old man out back then on that cliché Louisianna (sic!) and he listened to me. Must have been in 2006, I joined AH.com in 2007.

Left: pre-1985; Centre: 1987; Right: 2009
386px-America1950sm.jpg
386px-America1987sm.jpg
386px-America2009sm.JPG

Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Love The Centenary idea just sayin

Awesome! I've been meaning to ask about that - does everyone think we should go ahead with "The Centenary" for MotF 100? As I said it's open for discussion, so if popular opinion is against it I won't force it on you.

Here's the challenge text again, in case anyone's not sure:

The Centenary

Make a map showing the 100th anniversary of an event.

I support something themed for MotF 100. The Centenary seems as good as anything.

Random idea for a future round, possibly in need of a better title and some re-phrasing:

Crossover Showdown: Show recognizable ATL versions of two unrelated OTL empires facing off against each other. (Romans vs. Zulus, Mongols vs. Inca, etc.)

Well, cheers for the very narrow margin of victory in "Greener Pastures" - I must admit that I was not really expecting to win!

It was a fun challenge, I hope to continue to enter, but I strongly suspect that you won't be so kind and indulgent of me next time.

:)

Krall

Banned
Well, cheers for the very narrow margin of victory in "Greener Pastures" - I must admit that I was not really expecting to win!

It was a fun challenge, I hope to continue to enter, but I strongly suspect that you won't be so kind and indulgent of me next time.

:)

It was a very narrow victory, but also very well deserved! I was a bit disappointed that you didn't tie so we could have another Map Duel for Honour and Glory, though. :p

When will the thread be up tomorrow?

Some time in the evening, British time. It mostly depends on when I remember about it, but it shan't be before 8pm. :)

Krall

Banned
I will have my thing up by 3 EST.

Ah, I see you've posted it already. Excellent - in that case, the new threads will be up within the next hour or so. :)

since it like The Centenary is MotF 100, (barring of course a sudden shift of popular opinion), what is the plan for the following contest (after MotF 100)?

Will there be a Map of the Month Contest, or just another normal round?

Ah, yes, that's something I've been meaning to mention. I had meant to ask VT45 if he wanted to go ahead with the Map and Company of the Month idea, but it appears that he has now left AH.com over that language revival thread debacle over in PC, so I'm guessing that's not really an option now (unless someone wants to revive the ATL Company of the Month contest).

So, given that, do people want a Map of the Month contest round after MotF 100? For those unaware, a Map of the Month round is nigh-identical to a regular MotF round, but the entry period is four weeks long instead of two weeks, allowing more time for more complex and demanding entries and challenges.

And, if we do hold a MotM round after MotF 100, do people want to see the suggested challenge "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words"?

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

A contestant or group of contestants write a new timeline, and make a map accompanying said timeline.

Ah, I see you've posted it already. Excellent - in that case, the new threads will be up within the next hour or so. :)

Ah, yes, that's something I've been meaning to mention. I had meant to ask VT45 if he wanted to go ahead with the Map and Company of the Month idea, but it appears that he has now left AH.com over that language revival thread debacle over in PC, so I'm guessing that's not really an option now (unless someone wants to revive the ATL Company of the Month contest).

So, given that, do people want a Map of the Month contest round after MotF 100? For those unaware, a Map of the Month round is nigh-identical to a regular MotF round, but the entry period is four weeks long instead of two weeks, allowing more time for more complex and demanding entries and challenges.

And, if we do hold a MotM round after MotF 100, do people want to see the suggested challenge "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words"?
Could we hold an Map of the Month and a Map of the Fortnight at the same time, because it seems like the people who just start later on might be at a disadvantage.