Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

Krall

Banned
Welcome to the Mappist Cabal!

One of us! One of us!

I finally got around to entering.

A massive thanks to Krall, who has been a constant source of advice and wisdom!

You're very welcome! My inbox is always open to people who want advice and feedback. :)

Will something special be done for number 100 ?

Hopefully, yes! I'm planning on running this challenge suggested by Alex Richards:

The Centennial

Make a map showing the hundredth anniversary of an event.

A little bit vague, but definitely appropriate for the 100th round! :D

It's about time we started discussing what challenges we'd like to see for MotF 99! As always feel free to post new suggestions, or repost old suggestions from in this thread or from the Wiki (please repost the challenge text with them - you want other people to know what it is you're suggesting!), and express your support and opinion on as many suggestions as you wish. I'll post a list of good and popular suggestions from the last round in a day or two as well. :)

I'm posting here to say that I'll enter because that usually forces me to enter. Doing something... different, to say the least. Let's just say that the colleges in Serbia suck.

Justice is a Harsh Mistress sounds fun for MotF 99.

From the wiki ?

Before and After Make a map showing the world or a continent before and after a World War.

But instead call it The dust has settled

99 Red Balloons floating in the summer sky...

BTW, I remember how MotF 93 came along...
What if we merge When the Levee Breaks / When the Tide Turns / The Seas we Make Ourselves and Pastures New into one challenge?

Making a Mark on the Map - Make a map showing an artificially created landmass or body of water.

...and in the end there were just three aquatic entries. Maybe there should be a non-aquatic remake Pastures New somewhere between MotF 105 and 110?

I still support "Mind the Gap", or failing that, I could go for "Strictly Business", assuming we didn't already do that (I can't remember).

EDIT: Or "Justice is a Harsh Mistress", although I'd suggest using the old name "All You Can Annex Buffet".

Last edited:
Three entries after a week ain't that bad, but I'd like to know if anybody of our usual suspects is working on a map.

Krall

Banned
Three entries after a week ain't that bad, but I'd like to know if anybody of our usual suspects is working on a map.

I was planning to, but then I lost a couple of days to my ever-chaotic sleeping pattern, so it's a bit late now, I'm afraid. :eek:

Anyway, this is something I've been meaning to do for a while: a list of all roundels and announcements that I've yet to do! There's quite a few now, so even if no one has any comments this should help me keep my responsibilities a bit more organised. Anyway, here's the list:

MotF 87: Smells like Team Spirit
-Needs announcement.

MotF 91: Irredenta!
-Needs announcement.

MotF 92: My Thousand Masks
-Needs roundel (Currently my idea is to have something resembling this political cartoon showing the system of interconnected alliances before WWI. I won't be drawing full people like in that cartoon though - I think I'll just show a variety of arms emerging from behind flags, with each arm decorated to show different types of international agreement, like an arm with the sleeve of a military uniform for a military alliance, an arm with a business suit sleeve and jewellery to show an economic organisation, etc.).
-Needs announcement.

MotF 93: Making a Mark on the Map
-Needs roundel (Currently my idea is to show the Maori myth of the creation of the two islands of New Zealand - they believe the North Island was made from a great fish caught by culture hero Māui, and Māui's canoe is the South Island - so the roundel will show Māui on his canoe pulling on a fishing line which is connected to a fish-like mass of land emerging from the sea, sort of like this image).
-Needs announcement.

MotF 95: Ab Urbe Condita
-Needs roundel (Currently my idea is to show a map of Rome, with numerous roads leading to its centre. Each road would have a milestone showing the distance to Rome, to emphasise the idea that "All roads lead to Rome", with the Golden Milstone at the point where all the roads meet).
-Needs announcement.

MotF 96: Just in Case
-Needs roundel (Currently my idea is to show a general playing with toy soldiers. I've gotten started on this roundel, and had one of the toy soldiers mostly done. Then Inkscape froze, and didn't perform an emergency save like it normally does when it crashes :mad: ).
-Needs announcement.

MotF 97: The Conquerer
-Needs roundel (Currently, I have no real idea what I'm going to do for this apart from showing an OTL example like William the Conquerer or Genghis Khan, so suggestions are welcome).
-Needs announcement.

MotF 98: Greener Pastures
-Needs roundel (Currently my idea is to show a pelican crossing across a road, with one side of the road having a variety of prohibitive signs (like a speed limit sign, no parking, no littering, etc., with the most prominent one being a "DON'T WALK" light) and the other side having no such signs (though it will have a "WALK" light), with people crossing the road from the DON'T WALK side to the WALK side).

So, that's six roundels and seven sets of announcements that need doing. Since MotF 87 and 91's roundels are already done, I'm planning on doing their announcements soon, then I'll do the other announcements as the roundels get done. :)

And with that out of the way, here's a list of all the challenge ideas you fellows have mentioned:

99 Luftballons

Create a map showing the aftereffects of an incident caused by an overreaction to a benign threat.
All You Can Annex Buffet 2 / Justice is a Harsh Mistress

Make a map showing a harsh peace treaty that has been imposed on the losing side of a war.
Before and After / The Dust Has Settled

Make a map showing the world or a continent before and after a world war.
Mind the Gap

Make a map showing an urban rail system. It can be a subway, tram system or even regular rail as it crosses a city, but it must be urban in nature.
Strictly Business

Make a map showing something related to an alternate illegal or legally dubious organisation.

A real life example would be a map showing which country-code domains The Pirate Bay has used, or this map.

Yeah, I'm actually missing Richard Harrow and I've been waiting for him. But my patience ran thin and so I decided to create a map on my own. I hope you like it.

I'm posting here to say that I'll enter because that usually forces me to enter. Doing something... different, to say the least. Let's just say that the colleges in Serbia suck.

One question. I can well imagine that the big city of Budapest will need five colleges. But what kind of colleges make for the special attraction for Yugoslavs? Come on, they can't all be enrolled in business administration.

Speaking for Budapest, one is actually founded by Croatian immigrants and could be called a polytechnic university in the West. There is also a fairly good college of the arts, a college focusing on Communist theory and history, a college of business and communication, and a college of aeronautical design. There are a further 2 which are not represented as they have less then 20% attendance by Yugoslavian students, being a business college and a college of medicine. The one with over 75% attendance by Yugoslavs is the Croatian one as might be imagined.

Krall

Banned
Well, it looks like "Before and After / The Dust Has Settled" is the most popular suggestion, so it shall be the challenge for MotF 99! Which name variant do you fellows think we should use? I'm inclined towards "The Dust Has Settled", as it's more poetic and interesting personally, but both are acceptable to me.