Map of the Fortnight: Main thread

I have absolute no problem with renaming it! And if you want to literally stop making "fetch" happen (direct quote from Mean Girls), I even have an idea!

What about Greener Pastures?

If you're not worried about the clarity of the challenge, you may just take the short form:
Make a map about a legal discrepancy between countries on a controversial issue that may prompt related border traffic.

But you're right. Even for myself, I'm not quite satisfied with any wording I came up with. Improvement is really welcome!

I even have an idea for the MotF roundel under the new name. You know ending 18 of 20 from Papers Please, right? The inspector fetches his whole family to get the hell out of Grestin and take the train to the northern territories in order to leave for snowier pastures... in Obristan above all!

EDIT: Idea has been materialized. Made the full roundel set, but storage limit onboard forbid there upload. Anyway, the basic SVG is uploaded.

Attachments

• defaced greener.svg
    88.1 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:

Krall

Banned
Since MotF 101 is slated to start on June 15, (assuming MotF 98 is May 4 - 17, Motf 99 is May 18 - 31, and Motf 100 is June 1 -14), would that be a good time (June 15 as a starting date) to have MotM 2 instead?

We could perhaps attempt the company of the month hybrid challenge, though I like my idea of "A Picture is worth a thousand words".

Ah, I'd almost forgotten about that! June/July would be an ideal time for this year's MotM, and it may be that the Company and Map of the Month proposal is no longer viable, as it seems like the Company of the Month contest is on hiatus. I'll have to contact VulcanTrekkie45 to confirm whether or not he wants to try and go ahead with that idea.

Also, for Great is Our Sin (which I also support for MotF 98) does there have to be a conflict? (could there be an accidental use of weapons of mass destruction instead?)

I think there would have to be a conflict - the alternative would allow showing the testing of CBRN weapons, which isn't the focus of the challenge. An accidental use of WMDs as part of a conflict would work, though. Do note that "conflict" does not necessarily mean "openly declared and recognised war"; so the plot of Dr. Strangelove (accidental nuking of the USSR by the USA as part of the Cold War) would qualify for this challenge.

Justice is a Harsh Mistress

Show a map that portrays a peace plan that clearly punishes the defeated country/alliance to an extent that could be considered extreme.

FH OK, ASB no.

Krall

Banned
Justice is a Harsh Mistress

Show a map that portrays a peace plan that clearly punishes the defeated country/alliance to an extent that could be considered extreme.

FH OK, ASB no.

Future history, sci-fi, and fantasy maps are allowed and ASB maps disallowed by default - you don't need to add things like "FH OK, ASB no" to challenge suggestions unless you specifically want the challenge to have non-default restrictions.

Anyway, the suggestion is very similar to "All You Can Annex Buffet", though it differs in that it doesn't specify that the plan needs to be implemented or even seriously considered by the victors, which seems like it would free up some cool options for entries. :)

Krall

Banned
Well, it looks like "Fetch It Over There" is the most popular challenge idea so, unless another challenge proves to be more popular in the meantime (and please do express your support for any challenges you like if you haven't already), it shall be the challenge for MotF 98. I should note that I intend to go with Dr. Nodelescu's alternative title of "Greener Pastures", though.

In the meantime, I've once again upgraded my mock-up to the current state of affairs.
Of course, the roundel is far from perfect by Krall's standards and I admit that I straight out copy-catted from the game, the hills could be smoother and the Obristan flag could be more professional, but I'd like to retain the Obristan Above All theme.
And while we're at it, maybe the MotF 98 thread should be open for discussion as the challenge is a rather complicated topic.

Krall

Banned
And while we're at it, maybe the MotF 98 thread should be open for discussion as the challenge is a rather complicated topic.

I don't see how opening the entry thread to discussion will help that - every entry thread OP already states that people can PM me at any time to ask questions about the challenge and whether their entry idea would qualify, and if they really want to ask people who have no authority over the contest they can always post in here.

Anyway, the new threads will be up in the next hour.

Krall

Banned
Quick question before I post the new threads: Should the challenge text for "Greener Pastures" state that the legal discrepancy *may* prompt related border traffic, or that it *does* prompt related border traffic?

Krall

Banned
Not my challenge, but in my opinion it should prompt border related traffic, rather than just having the potential (it doesn't really restrict the challenge a whole lot, and seems to be more in spirit with the idea).

That's what makes the most sense to me too, so I'll go with that. New threads'll be up in a moment.

Krall

Banned
I don't quite understand the prompt.

I think the idea is that you're showing two countries with different laws, which results in some sort of border traffic. E.g. A map showing France and Germany, where France has a much higher tax on cigarettes than Germany, causing people to go to Germany to buy cigarettes.

I think the idea is that you're showing two countries with different laws, which results in some sort of border traffic. E.g. A map showing France and Germany, where France has a much higher tax on cigarettes than Germany, causing people to go to Germany to buy cigarettes.

Oh, so like people who go to Canada to underage-drink.

I have the perfect idea for this.